10.6.4 legacy kernel for INTEL/AMD ready to download by qoopz/nawcom/AnV/BlackKnight/mucha - a few new features

nawcom

181 posts in this topic

Standard fixes are included, plus a few extra stuff:

* Built-in kernel blacklister automatically blacklists bad kexts from loading. Therefore you don't need to use a disabler to disable it manually

* bigger dmesg Which translates to a larger log file so that you can troubleshoot easily

* uuid patching/fix Eliminates the need of UUID kext or specifying manually

* fsb detection

* cpu cache detection

* reboot fix- Eliminates the need of OpenHaltRestart and fixes shutdown/reboot issue

* sse3emu -SSE3 emulator for SSE2 processors . Bear in mind that most of the applications in Snow Leopard run fine with this emulator.

* For people wanting to use XCode apps, I decided to add all the CHUD kexts to the kext blacklist. This means no more kp hell when installing and dealing with the development tools. If anyone thinks this is something that shouldn't be added, let me know.

Added stuff:

* Some of AnVs patches from the 10.6.2 diff

* BlackKnight's fsb fix

* mucha's lapic fix (common issues with new HP laptops, meklort plans on including a fix for this in Chameleon)

Features in this specific package:

* If you have SleepEnabler installed, your SleepEnabler kext will get updated. If you don't use it, don't worry about it - it won't get installed.

* All of the CPUIDs in the new versions of programs from the 10.6.4 update will get patched. this means you don't need to deal with the hell regarding iTunes, etc.

(The actual patcher program also gets installed (/usr/local/bin/patcher, you can run from anyware via Terminal) as well as the CPUID text file (/Library/CPUIDs/*) Though this is only important to people who love control and want to be able to run it themselves :-P - this is all automated in the installer regardless. Unfortunately we still havent gotten on the fly patching working, so this is a reasonable fix for it for now.)

I do make cpuid files for updates and keep them online http://nawcom.com/osx86/cpuids/ for AMD people to use regarding updates as well as a nice frontend to Maxxuss' patcher app, drag and drop a cpuid.txt file onto the app to launch it - just like Taruga's HDA Patcher.

Good luck to all. Source diffs are always available. -> http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...l-1504.7.4.diff

Remember the voodoo xnu project?

I believe that we can get many developers together once again and make this a reality once more. Sadly many of the original devs are gone, yet there are many who are willing to improve this code a ton. Many people can create their own fixes and improvements, but there's no way we have a kernel like there was in 10.5 without us coming together as a group.

I have messaged AnV and BlackKnight as well as a few others who I know can help contribute to this and revive the xnu project for AMD and legacy Intel (perhaps we will revive the voodoo name) and I am looking for anyone who can contribute code-wise who can work together to make this a reality once again.

Probably our 2 main goals as of now is:

* sysenter emulation to make 64 bit userspace work with 32 bit apps

* correctly port on the fly cpuid patching, so no manual cpuid patching is needed again

For anyone who can help code-wise, join #xnu-chat on irc.voodooprojects.org. Once we get this together we can create a google code project and make this easily available. My personal plan is, if this succeeds this won't be the final version of the 10.6.4 kernel at all.

As I said, we can get this project in an organized state once again, and hopefully within the next month it can happen.

There was an issue with some fsb still not getting detected right with some Athlon II X4 processors, so I added a few lines in tsc.c so that fsb defaults to 200000000 if EFI_FSB_frequency() returns 0 - mediafire link has been updated, nawcom.com link is fine

External link: http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.4.0.pkg.zip

Another External link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/r4nhcd9xr2dw...-10.4.0.pkg.zip

Many thanks to qoopz, AnV, BlackKnight, mucha, and everyone in the original voodoo-xnu team - mercurysquad, Galaxy, kaitek, Turbo. I'm probably missing some names. Yell at me if I am.

Thank you! I presume you should install combo update first. Don't restart. Install kernel package. Restart.

Right? :P

That's what I did. After reboot I did a cpuid patch with Marvin's AMD utility. I don't use sleepenabler fyi...

USB mass Storage wont work after the 10.4 update ??

but works perfectly in both 10.6.4 vanilla and legacy 10.3 kernel.

usb Mouse and keyboard works but only mass storage (external HDD and mobile) wont work .

hp dv6 core i5 430m

That's what I did. After reboot I did a cpuid patch with Marvin's AMD utility. I don't use sleepenabler fyi...

I think you misunderstood - the package itself patches the CPUIDs if it detects that you use an AMD processor via sysctl (if machdep.cpu.vendor = AuthenticAMD). you don't need to do it yourself, it's already done. It places the cpuid file in /Library/CPUIDs and runs the patcher app against it via postinstall script.

Note that this only patches files installed by the 10.6.4 update. I really wouldn't be surprised if Marvin's AMD Utility finds numerous files that use cpuids that you have on your system, which didn't get installed by the 10.6.4 update.

Also don't worry if you don't use SleepEnabler. the pkg actually deletes the new SleepEnabler kext instead of moving into place (/Extra/Extensions) if it doesn't find the SleepEnabler kext name (sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler) listed via kextstat.

I think you misunderstood - the package itself patches the CPUIDs if it detects that you use an AMD processor via sysctl (if machdep.cpu.vendor = AuthenticAMD). you don't need to do it yourself, it's already done. It places the cpuid file in /Library/CPUIDs and runs the patcher app against it via postinstall script.

Note that this only patches files installed by the 10.6.4 update. I really wouldn't be surprised if Marvin's AMD Utility finds numerous files that use cpuids that you have on your system, which didn't get installed by the 10.6.4 update.

Also don't worry if you don't use SleepEnabler. the pkg actually deletes the new SleepEnabler kext instead of moving into place (/Extra/Extensions) if it doesn't find the SleepEnabler kext name (sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler) listed via kextstat.

so to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.4 all id need to do is run the combo updater.. then install the kernel and reboot? or best to use The Zepheroth software updater and then apply this kernel?

hi everybody

excuse me, can someone post me the 10.4.0 legacy kernel, unzipped from his original .pkg?

unfortunately, I'm in a situation in which i cannot install the .pkg file, but I can replace the old kernel with this one (i've already installed the combo update)... so I would be very grateful if someone posted me the unzipped legacy kernel...

thanks everybody (and sorry for my english)

Hi,

First time trying legacy kernel. Does installer package replace the mach_kernel on the root level of the drive or does it place legacy_kernel_10.6.4 on that level and I would need to edit my apple plist in my /Extra folder to point to the new legacy kernel?

Does it only replace one file (mach_kernel) or are there others? I would like to be able to have both kernel installed side by side and either change names or change the apple plist to point to the one I'm interested in using on the next reboot.

Hi,

First time trying legacy kernel. Does installer package replace the mach_kernel on the root level of the drive or does it place legacy_kernel_10.6.4 on that level and I would need to edit my apple plist in my /Extra folder to point to the new legacy kernel?

Does it only replace one file (mach_kernel) or are there others? I would like to be able to have both kernel installed side by side and either change names or change the apple plist to point to the one I'm interested in using on the next reboot.

Answering my own question. It installs /legacy_kernel and does not touch /mach_kernel. It edits apple plist in /Extras to tell chameleon bootloader to use the new /legacy_kernel. I haven't tried it yet but think that it would be easy to switch back by just changing apple plist to use mach_kernel.