[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530.

111 posts in this topic

EDIT: This guide also works for 10.6.4--I updated with no issues last night. (Just had to reinstall my kexts, which is standard with any update.)

So you've got an Inspiron 530 and you want to install Snow Leopard? Well, the existing information on the intertron for figuring this out is nightmarish. You get all sorts of conflicting information, with no explanation for why some things work and others don't. This post is to try and change that.

You can get a vanilla 10.6.3 kernel working on a stock Inspiron 530 with virtually no issues. You don't need to replace the sound, the ethernet, the video card, nothing. If you want QE/whatever, well, then you'll need to get a supported video card. That's outside of the scope of this tutorial; check the compatibility lists for how to get that mess running. I’m also assuming you’re ready to wipe your system; my guide isn’t going to preserve any of your data. I’m basing this on the guide given by Mattisz, with revisions from amzor and from myself. I would have never gotten this working if not for them. Major props.

Here’s the rough outline of what we’re doing: we start with a hacked Leopard install, use that to do a retail Snow Leopard install, and then from within leopard we modify the Snow Leopard install to make it work properly. It’ll make more sense once we get going.

So, let's start with the basics. Here's what you need to make this work:

An Inspiron 530 (dunno anything re: a/b/c/d or s) with an Intel processor

2 - 4 GB of RAM (add more later, for now, keep it simple)

BIOS 1.0.18 (you might be able to make it work with earlier revisions, but why bother?)

USB Keyboard and Mouse

A working Mac running OS X 10.5 or later (sorry, I haven’t found a way around this)

A USB flash disk of at least 4GB. (Trust me, you want this. If you don’t have this, we can use a burned DVD instead, but it’s going to add a lot of time to the process.)

Another external USB drive with at least 8GB of space.

A retail copy of OS X Snow Leopard, preferably 10.6.3. (You will need to rip an image of it, or “acquire” one), and an image of iAtkos v7 (get it from a torrent), stored on your working Mac.

Around 4-6 hours

This package: http://www.kexts.com/view/400-a_chance_of_snow_at_5:30.html downloaded to your Mac.

You've got all of those? Great, let's get started.

First, go into your BIOS (F2 at startup), go to "Integrated PeripheralsDrive ControllerSATA ModeRAID. This is going to enable all four SATA ports.

For future reference, make sure you have your OS X hard drive (the one you want to install the OS on) in one of the first two SATA ports. On the mobo, that’s the row with one blue, one black. I’d recommend keeping the DVD-drive on the yellow port.

Once that’s done, switch over to your Mac. For this next step, I highly recommend using a flash drive. If you don’t have a flash disk, just burn the iAtkos v7 image to a DVD. Since all of the distros I found were in ISO format, you can do this in Windows or a Mac, it doesn’t matter.

If you’ve got a 4GB flash disk, pop it in, open Applications – Utilities – Disk Utility, highlight the flash drive, click “Partition”, choose “1 Partition”, click “Options”, make sure GUID is selected, click ok, and partition the drive. (It doesn’t matter what you name it—for the purposes of the guide, I’ll assume it’s “Untitled.”) Once partitioned, keep disk utility open, and drag the ISO/DMG of iAtkos to the left hand bottom window of disk utility. It should now show up in that window. Double-click to mount it. Once it’s mounted, go back to your USB drive in disk utility and click on “Untitled.” Click on the “Restore” tab on the far right, and drag the iAtkos image to source and the “Untitled” to destination. Click “Erase” underneath the source/dest prompts, and then go do something for the next 30-40 minutes. Once this has completed, open up the “A chance for snow” archive, go to “Bootloader,” and click on the chameleon installer package. Once it pops up, select your newly formatted iAtkos drive, and install Chameleon on it. Don’t worry if it fails at running post-script; that’s not important.

Ok, now take your DVD/flash disk, pop it in the Dell, turn the machine on, and hit F12 to bring up the boot menu. Select whatever drive you’ve got iAtkos on. If it’s a DVD, it’ll boot to Darwin; just push any key to start the installer. If it’s the USB, Chameleon will boot: navigate to iAtkos using the arrow keys and push enter to start the installer.

Once in the Installer, go to the top of the screen and choose “Utilities –Disk Utility.” Now you need to choose the OS X destination drive. Once selected, you need to partition it into at least 2 partitions in the following order:

1.) Snow Leopard (required)

2.) Windows (optional—full disclosure, I did not set my machine up to dual-boot, so do it at your own risk)

3.) Leopard (required—must be at least 16GB for our purposes)

Once you’ve done this, go to options and select “GUID” as your partition scheme. If you want to dual-boot Windows, exit the installer now, pop in your Windows media, and install it to the Windows partition. Once you’ve finished, come back and continue the guide.

Now that you’ve partitioned your drive, begin the iAtkos installer. Choose to install to the Leopard partition. CLICK CUSTOMIZE before installing! You need to tell iAtkos to install the following things:

System: OHR

Drivers: AHCI, Intel Gigabit (Intel82566MM for network), AppleHDA for audio

And NTFS 3G or whatever it’s called, to read/write NTFS drives.

Also, UNCHECK bootloader from iAtkos. That’s right. You don’t want to install any bootloaders. If you’re curious as to why, it’s because the versions it can install are incompatible with your SATA RAID BIOS setting—but we want to keep SATA RAID so you can use all four ports later on. You’ll be using other means to boot your system in the interim.

Once you’ve selected those, tell the installer to begin. It’ll take a while, so use this time to copy the “a chance of snow” folder and the retail Snow Leopard image to your other external drive.

Once the installer has finished, restart the computer, AND HIT F12 AGAIN. Choose your iAtkos media again. If you used the flash disk route, you’ll boot into Chameleon, and from there you can choose to boot your newly-installed Leopard disk. If you used the DVD, you’ll be in Darwin—hit F8 to use advanced startup options. Now, there’s a chance Darwin won’t display the Leopard drive, and will only show the iAtkos CD-ROM (HD 31,1 or something.) If it does this, grab any old flash drive, stick it in your working Mac, format it in GUID, and install the Chameleon boot loader on it. Use it to boot to the Leopard drive.

Once Leopard has booted, run through the initial setup process. Once you get to the desktop, attach your other external drive and drag over the “a chance for snow” folder and the image of Snow Leopard. After they’ve copied over, push "Apple-Shift-G" (the Apple key is usually mapped to the Windows key on a standard keyboard) and enter "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" in the prompt. Find “OSInstall.MPKG” and double-click it.

This launches the Snow Leopard installer. Select your “Snow leopard” partition as your destination, and hit customize. This time, remove *everything* but essential system software. Then let it continue with the install—it should be over very quickly. Now, do not restart yet. We have work to do. :wub:

First, open up the “chance for snow” folder, navigate to the bootloader section, and install Chameleon onto new Snow Leopard drive. Once you’ve finished that, go back into the “chance for snow” folder and open tools, then click on “Show All Files.” Tell it to SHOW, Finder will restart.

Now open up “chance for snow” again. Drag “DSDT.aml” from this folder to the root of the Snow Leopard drive. Next, drag the contents of the “kexts” folder to /Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions. Once you’ve done this, drag that entire folder onto Kext Utility, back in the “chance for snow” folder. Note: if it can’t create extensions.mkext, don’t worry—that’s unimportant for the time being. When it finishes, drag Kext Utility to Snow Leopard/Applications, since we’ll be using it again soon.

Ok, now you’re ready to restart the computer. If everything went right, you should boot into Chameleon, and be able to select Leopard or Snow Leopard. Select Snow Leopard, and boot up. Out of the box, you should have: working internet, working video, and should see all of your SATA ports. Do yourself a favor and put a copy of the “a chance for snow” folder, with all of its contents, on your desktop here too. You’ll be using it soon.

NOTE: If you installed from the 10.6.0 Gold Media (10A432), you need to go to System Preferences (on the dock): Spotlight: Privacy, and add your Snow Leopard drive.

Now that you’re in Snow Leopard, go to your Applications folder and run Kext Utility again. It should complete successfully. Reboot again, and this time when you’re selecting Snow Leopard, push the down arrow on your keyboard and select “boot verbose.” It should boot up successfully.

NOTE 2: If you installed 10.6.0, you can now reverse what you did earlier with Spotlight.

Ok, now you’re ready to run software update. A word of caution: when you do this, you’re probably going to screw up your sound and a few other things. It’s cool, we’ll fix them if you do. Let Software Update run, then reboot your computer when it’s finished.

Now when you start Snow Leopard up, you’ve probably lost the ability to see your drives, and maybe sound isn’t working. No problem. Copy over all of the kexts to /Snow Leopard/System/Library/Extensions and run Kext utility again. Reboot. Now you should be good to go.

NOTE: Your sound may or may not work at this point. If it does not, you need to install ONE of the following kexts and then run Kext Utility. If you try one and it doesn’t work, DELETE IT before trying the other.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensio...10.6.2.kext.zip -- Worked for me.

http://www.kexts.com/view/320-alc888_hd_audio.html -- This worked for leuca.

Once you get sound working, you’re done. :) Your display (if using onboard video) is stuck at 1024x768, and your Sleep function won’t work (I’m investigating a fix for that now), but you’ve now got a completely vanilla 10.6.3 Snow Leopard install. You should run ShowAllFiles again and tell it to hide, just so things look prettier. At this point you can either keep your Leopard install (in case you need to do maintenance) or you can just format the partition for extra space.

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted in the original Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530 thread (found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=120), mattisz, amzor, leuca, and anyone else who posted something useful.

Please reply if you’re having trouble or if the guide forgets something; I tried to install OS X literally twenty times this weekend so I might have forgotten to include something.

Thanks for the mention, spec. Also much thanks to amzor for the update on the "A Chance of Snow at 5:30" (When I first stumbled across it, I thought, "That's a really clever title." Well done.)

Like you I've probably installed Snow Leopard twenty times by now and rebooted at least three times that. But the kicker is that although everything else seems to work fine, having an unfortunate graphics card complicates things immensely. There are so many ways to address the issue and you have to be careful as to what advice applies to which versions of 10.6, bootloaders, etc.

Not sure how many out there have the same pairing of an i530 with an HD4670, but I have found some possible options to consider:

1. Beta Universal 46xx install package: Needs 10.6.2, PC EFI v 10.5. Not sure of compatibility with 10.6.3 or with PC EFI 10.6, as that already supports 46xx cards?

2. There's also one involving editing Chameleon RC4 sources folder, so that the ati.c file in /i386/something folder. You can take a look at Pilmen's post (#9) and also check out the link he references. You'll need to have Xcode installed though to perform the 'make embedtheme' command. This is under 10.6.2 though, so I'm unsure of the applicability of changing Motmot to Shrike.

In 10.6.3 the problems I encounter now (the garbled screen after all else loads in verbose) seem to stem from the Shrike thing. Back to the drawing board I guess. Which will explode first? My computer from restarting too often or my head, out of sheer frustration? :)

leuca:

Glad to see you in the thread. :D If you're not particularly interested in gaming, I'd suggest picking up the following card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-360-_-Product

This 8400GS should be compatible right out of the box (or with very minimal modification), and is low-power enough as to not require any additional hardware components to work properly. Alternatively, there's someone selling Palit 8400s for pretty cheap on eBay as well. I've considered dropping the 30 bucks necessary to get myself a fully compatible card.

Thanks! This is a great tutorial. I'm gonna be using it this weekend to install a dual boot with Windows 7 and Snow leopard. I have minimal experience with all this, so I have a few questions. I searched for iAtkos and found 2 versions. Theres the iAtkos v7 and iAtkos S3 (10.6.3). Which one should I get? I'm guessing the S3 is more latest, but is it the one that'll work the best with my setup? Here's my information:

> Mainboard : Dell 0FM586

> Chipset : Intel P31/P35

> Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2333 MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4670

> Hard Disk : WDC (640 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device

> Monitor Type : BenQ BenQ T90X - 19 inches

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL S199WFP - 19 inches

> Network Card : 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

> Network Card : BCM4309 802.11a/b/g

So which one should I download? And you said that I'll need a retail disc of 10.6.3. I've got a .dmg image, will that work? And what am I supposed to do with it? I never saw it being used in your tutorial

Sam:

Glad you liked the guide! Let me answer your questions in reverse order.

1.) A Snow Leopard DMG is perfectly fine. I mention it in the guide here:

Once Leopard has booted, run through the initial setup process. Once you get to the desktop, attach your other external drive and drag over the “a chance for snow” folder and the image of Snow Leopard. After they’ve copied over, push "Apple-Shift-G" (the Apple key is usually mapped to the Windows key on a standard keyboard) and enter "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" in the prompt. Find “OSInstall.MPKG” and double-click it.

2.) I used iAtkos v7. s3 is the newer version but I have no idea whether or not you can boot and install from it. You probably can, and if I try this again I may give it a shot using s3 instead--although I'm fairly sure s3 is SL, and iAtkos is Leopard.

3.) Your setup is a bit more complicated than mine. First things first--this is a stock Inspiron 530, yeah? If so, you should be fine, we've got plenty of people running OS X on quad-core Inspiron 530 machines. You may want to check leuca's post for dealing with your video card issues (it's right under mine in this thread) as ATI cards are VERY finicky. Always boot verbose (I tell you how in my guide) and if you get a message during it telling "System uptime: XXXXXXXXXX nanoseconds", come back and let us know exactly what it says above that. The kernel panic will let us know what's giving you trouble.

Hi, I have hibernate working with anval, but quicksleep fails.

When on hybrid sleep, the comp will power down, then when turning it on again, the fans go on full but nothing happens. After turning it off and on again, it will use hibernatefile to reload.

The funny thing is once upon a time i got quicksleep working and not hibernate :D

I have been trying to run all kinds of builds on my i530, and this is the first one I've ever gotten to work. HOWEVER: I cannot get Snow Leopard to install. I've tried to run the installation from both the DVD and a flash disk. Every time I open the installer, it says "OS X cannot 10.6 cannot be installed on this computer. Any recommendations? I have leopard installed on a 25gb partition on a 1tb hd. I also cannot get my netgear wireless wn111v2 usb stick to work.

Thanks guys!

I have been trying to run all kinds of builds on my i530, and this is the first one I've ever gotten to work. HOWEVER: I cannot get Snow Leopard to install. I've tried to run the installation from both the DVD and a flash disk. Every time I open the installer, it says "OS X cannot 10.6 cannot be installed on this computer. Any recommendations? I have leopard installed on a 25gb partition on a 1tb hd. I also cannot get my netgear wireless wn111v2 usb stick to work.

Thanks guys!

Christopher:

Just so we're clear, you're trying to install Snow Leopard onto the empty partition from WITHIN Leopard, right? Meaning you: a.) boot into Leopard, b.) mount your Snow Leopard DMG or insert your DVD, and then c.) run OSInstall.mpkg via finder?

Christopher:

Just so we're clear, you're trying to install Snow Leopard onto the empty partition from WITHIN Leopard, right? Meaning you: a.) boot into Leopard, b.) mount your Snow Leopard DMG or insert your DVD, and then c.) run OSInstall.mpkg via finder?

Yes, within Leopard, doing the finder command to find the .mpkg file, it just shows "ALERT" and only gives me the option to exit. Just for the heck of it, I tried the "instal os x" button that shows up when the disk is inserted, and it shows the error I posted above.

I also tried opening the osinstall.pkg and the upgrade files that were beside the mpkg file and they "ran" but did not change anything.

Yes, within Leopard, doing the finder command to find the .mpkg file, it just shows "ALERT" and only gives me the option to exit. Just for the heck of it, I tried the "instal os x" button that shows up when the disk is inserted, and it shows the error I posted above.

I also tried opening the osinstall.pkg and the upgrade files that were beside the mpkg file and they "ran" but did not change anything.

And you're sure your media (i.e., your copy of Snow Leopard) is good?

And you're sure your media (i.e., your copy of Snow Leopard) is good?

Well, I'm assuming it's good, but it may not be. I am using the install disk that came with my MB pro. I went ahead and purchased the SNOW LEOPARD install disk from apple, but it hasn't come in yet. If it is not working because I am using the disk from the MB, I will try it again later this week when the disk comes in.

Just curious, what about trying a remote install from my Macbook?

Well, I'm assuming it's good, but it may not be. I am using the install disk that came with my MB pro. I went ahead and purchased the SNOW LEOPARD install disk from apple, but it hasn't come in yet. If it is not working because I am using the disk from the MB, I will try it again later this week when the disk comes in.

Just curious, what about trying a remote install from my Macbook?

There's your problem. You need a retail disk, not a pre-packaged one. A pre-packaged one will ONLY install on the hardware it came with.

Sorry for not responding sooner. The retail disk should fix you right up!

I got a little delayed due to my exams, (and finding another working Mac, although I realized later on that it wasn't necessary, but made life simpler).

I've got SL and Windows 7 working side by side, and I'm happy. But there are a few things that are bothering me. I followed leuca's instructions in another post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183983&st=120), and I've got the same problem as him now. SL recognizes that I've got ATI GPU, but doesn't show it as a 4670. Also, the resolution is stuck on the lowest one, and since I've got dual monitors (one wide and one normal), the display looks normal on one, and distorted on the other. The display is also mirrored on both monitors, so having both monitors is pointless right now.

Also, in your guide it said to change the bios setting to raid, but that made my PC not boot and caused installation to hang. (I'm on bios version 1.0.1.5 btw). So I made it IDE again, and everything works fine. I've only got one HDD attached, so maybe I don't need RAID?. One last and most important thing I want to fix is the bootloader. I still have to select USB at startup, and have it plugged in for my computer to turn on. I installed Chameleon on the SL drive like the guide instructed, but if I don't have the USB drive plugged in, I just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at startup. How can I fix this? I did some research and found that I'll just have to use Windows bootloader, but I'd prefer to use chameleon since it allows me to use flags during startup.

Thanks for all your help, and special thanks to spec and leuca. (Leuca if you could please PM me if you got your 4670 working properly, because I've got the exact same setup as you)

Sam

One last and most important thing I want to fix is the bootloader. I still have to select USB at startup, and have it plugged in for my computer to turn on. I installed Chameleon on the SL drive like the guide instructed, but if I don't have the USB drive plugged in, I just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at startup. How can I fix this? I did some research and found that I'll just have to use Windows bootloader, but I'd prefer to use chameleon since it allows me to use flags during startup.

Thanks for all your help, and special thanks to spec and leuca. (Leuca if you could please PM me if you got your 4670 working properly, because I've got the exact same setup as you)

Sam

One thing you might want to try is to open Chameleon within SL and run the install. When it asks for your install location, select the partition you have SL installed on (mine is named "SNOW LEOPARD".) That might be what you are doing, and I misunderstood, but that's how I got my Leopard to boot without the USB stick. :)

I got a little delayed due to my exams, (and finding another working Mac, although I realized later on that it wasn't necessary, but made life simpler).

I've got SL and Windows 7 working side by side, and I'm happy. But there are a few things that are bothering me. I followed leuca's instructions in another post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183983&st=120), and I've got the same problem as him now. SL recognizes that I've got ATI GPU, but doesn't show it as a 4670. Also, the resolution is stuck on the lowest one, and since I've got dual monitors (one wide and one normal), the display looks normal on one, and distorted on the other. The display is also mirrored on both monitors, so having both monitors is pointless right now.

I'm honestly not sure how to fix that. I thought leuca had managed to use something to get his card to detect, but I could be mistaken. Your best bet is to head over to the hardware section and see if they're making progress.

Also, in your guide it said to change the bios setting to raid, but that made my PC not boot and caused installation to hang. (I'm on bios version 1.0.1.5 btw). So I made it IDE again, and everything works fine. I've only got one HDD attached, so maybe I don't need RAID?

You don't need RAID if you're not going to use all four SATA ports. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. You've got to install the right kext to make the drives work, though--iAtkos should detect it just fine (if you install the extras during setup that I specified), and then if you install the IOATA kext as detailed in my guide, you should have no worries. (1.0.18 may be a requirement for this, I dunno.)

One last and most important thing I want to fix is the bootloader. I still have to select USB at startup, and have it plugged in for my computer to turn on. I installed Chameleon on the SL drive like the guide instructed, but if I don't have the USB drive plugged in, I just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at startup. How can I fix this? I did some research and found that I'll just have to use Windows bootloader, but I'd prefer to use chameleon since it allows me to use flags during startup.

That sounds like it's trying to boot off of something else entirely. Have you tried hitting F8 during startup and selecting your hard drive manually? I've got no problems booting from hard disk, so it stands to reason that you should be able to do it too.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but hopefully someone can.

I know this is a long bump, but I need help.

Everytime I run Kext Utility, It always runs on the current partition, since I'm on Leopard right now, it's not doing anything to my Snow Leopard partition. If I try to boot my Snow Leopard Partition [with and without -v -x], I get a little ban sign in the middle in my screen, or if I'm in verbose, I get "Still waiting for root device". If anyone can help me, That would be GREAT.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but hopefully someone can.

I know this is a long bump, but I need help.

Everytime I run Kext Utility, It always runs on the current partition, since I'm on Leopard right now, it's not doing anything to my Snow Leopard partition. If I try to boot my Snow Leopard Partition [with and without -v -x], I get a little ban sign in the middle in my screen, or if I'm in verbose, I get "Still waiting for root device". If anyone can help me, That would be GREAT.

Razor:

Are you dragging the extensions onto Kext Utility? If you run Kext Utility by itself, it always runs on the OS drive--but if you drag files into it, it'll run on those particular kexts.

Razor:

Are you dragging the extensions onto Kext Utility? If you run Kext Utility by itself, it always runs on the OS drive--but if you drag files into it, it'll run on those particular kexts.

I'm running it by its self, as what the guide said. I think if I drag the kexts into Kext Utility it will install the kexts into Leopard.

I'm running it by its self, as what the guide said. I think if I drag the kexts into Kext Utility it will install the kexts into Leopard.

Sorry, that was my mistake--I must've forgotten to write it in the guide. You need to drag the entire Extensions folder on the Snow Leopard drive into Kext Utility in the "chance for snow" folder, while you're still running on the Leopard partition. It won't install them into Leopard, don't worry. I've also updated the guide to reflect this.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Hey guys,

I am also running a Dell Inspiron 530 with the following specs:

Quad Core Processor Q6600

Default NIC and Audio

Ati Radeon HD 2600 XT

500 GB HDD

3 GB Ram

After following this guide, Everything went quite smoothly up until the point I got to where after copying Kext Utility to the Snow Leopard Drive, it says restart. I did everything till there and then I restarted, and selected Snow Leopard in the Boot Loader. But the problem is that when I select Snow Leopard, all it does is load. Like its a grey screen with the apple symbol in the middle and then below it, the loading sign. Its been doing that for like 15 - 20 minutes.

Actually, when I followed Mattisz's guide, the same exact problem occurred. It just kept loading...loading...loading. It didnt actually take me into the the Operating System. Now, mind you. I did do some things different than the guide. And that is that I used a DVD and also, I didn't use Raid, because I am using an internal HDD and only 1 and I had no reason to use Raid. Also, if I used Raid, It caused several problems in actually running the operating system and booting my computer. So i just used IDE and got to install Leopard which, btw, is working very well. No issues with that.

Also, i didn't drag the extensions folder into Kext Utility and ran it by itself. So that is a mistake that I did for sure. But I don't think, that is the cause of this issue. because when I did the Mattisz's guide, I DID drag the extensions into Kext Utility and ran it. Im not exactly sure, waht to do now and how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ill just let it keep loading till I get a reply. Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Hey guys,

I am also running a Dell Inspiron 530 with the following specs:

Quad Core Processor Q6600

Default NIC and Audio

Ati Radeon HD 2600 XT

500 GB HDD

3 GB Ram

After following this guide, Everything went quite smoothly up until the point I got to where after copying Kext Utility to the Snow Leopard Drive, it says restart. I did everything till there and then I restarted, and selected Snow Leopard in the Boot Loader. But the problem is that when I select Snow Leopard, all it does is load. Like its a grey screen with the apple symbol in the middle and then below it, the loading sign. Its been doing that for like 15 - 20 minutes.

Actually, when I followed Mattisz's guide, the same exact problem occurred. It just kept loading...loading...loading. It didnt actually take me into the the Operating System. Now, mind you. I did do some things different than the guide. And that is that I used a DVD and also, I didn't use Raid, because I am using an internal HDD and only 1 and I had no reason to use Raid. Also, if I used Raid, It caused several problems in actually running the operating system and booting my computer. So i just used IDE and got to install Leopard which, btw, is working very well. No issues with that.

Also, i didn't drag the extensions folder into Kext Utility and ran it by itself. So that is a mistake that I did for sure. But I don't think, that is the cause of this issue. because when I did the Mattisz's guide, I DID drag the extensions into Kext Utility and ran it. Im not exactly sure, waht to do now and how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ill just let it keep loading till I get a reply. Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Boot verbose and let us know what it's hanging on. My guess is your video card is what's causing the problem.

Ok, so I actually let the system try to load all night but it didn't help. Sry I just say your reply this morning, so now I booted verbose and it gets to the line.

"Sound Assertion "0 !=createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/sourceCache/Apple HDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleDHADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit"

I don't know if that is helpful in figuring out what's wrong with the booting. Thanks for the help ;). Let me know If any other information must be posted if needed.

Also, I thought I would add that although I installed iAtkos v7 and chose the AppleHDA, there was another kext there also. it was called Voodoo or something or another. And I thought I was going to get working audio but actually for Leopard, I do not have working audio.

Ok Guys, I did the entire Installation again. This time, I followed the guide on Mattisz, meaning that I used the files posted there and also, I used iATKOS 5i instead of iATKOS v7. This time again I get a kernel Error and this is what it is.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5996/ss2806201041133pm.jpg

That is the Image of the Kernel panic. Now if this is caused by following his guide or something, I would be more than happy than to come back to this guide. Either one is fine by me and it seems either guide takes me the same spot before it gives me a kernel panic, it might be a different panic but its the exact same location where the panic is given.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your responses.