How to get a MicroSoft BllueTooth dongle working.

drule

6 posts in this topic

Alright I'm in the progress of getting Snow Leopard up and running on my system (not an easy task, as it is Pentium D based).

I have managed to get it installed and running, but without mouse support which makes it very hard to use :)

My Leopard 10.5.7 installation works great however, so I decided to try compare IOBlueToothFamily kexts between the two installations, finding that the SL one didn't have the "BroadcomUSBBluetoothFirmwareDownload.kext" in its Plugins folder. I figure what the h#ll, I've got backups, let's see what happens if I just take a copy from the fully functioning Leopard installation, and drop it into the corresponding IOBTF kext of the SL installation ... reboot ... get into SL ... IT WORKS, I HAVE A FUNCTIONAL MOU... damn it lost the connection and won't connect again for more than a few seconds at a time ;)

Any thoughts? I'm going to play around with different kexts this weekend, especially if it rains all weekend. So I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.

I believe the Microsoft BT dongle has a BroadCom chipset ??? It came with their BT keyboard a few years back. I also ordered a few different "el cheapo" BT dongles from eBay to see if any would work. The first one arrived today, and was no help at all - even made my mouse non-functional in the Leopard installation until I plugged back in the MS dongle. That was a "Bluesoleil" dongle by the way.

Ok, after opening up various kexts, and comparing the contents of the Leop and SL versions, I have noted the following:

In the folders /Library/Preferences, there is a file com.apple.Bluetooth.plist which is a binary plist. It also looks like it is generated every boot, so it is unlikely to be what I'm looking for. However the interesting thing to note, is the difference between the c.a.b.plist on Leopard where the BT MightyMouse is recognized, and the on on SL where it is not.

All the entries pictured below are missing from the c.a.BT.plist on the OSx86 SL install.

Voila_Capture32.png

And here are the contents of the PlugIns folders of both IOBlueToothFamily.kext files:

First the SL 10.6.2 install ...

Voila_Capture36.png

And the Leopard 10.5.7 install in which the BT MightyMouse works without a hitch. Notice the one extra file, "BroadcomUSBBluetoothFirmwareDownload.kext", in the list.

Voila_Capture40.png

Next, I'll be comparing the info.plist files within the kexts .................. unless someone can save me some time and let me know what direction I should be heading :)

Just noticed a MicrosoftMouse.kext in the S/L/E folder of my 10.5.8 (just upgraded it) installation, it was also present in my 10.5.7 installation, where I have been using the MightyMouse without any problems at all for ages.

So I'm going to see what happens if I put that into the S/L/E folder of my SL 10.6.2 installation, to see if that will help with the recognition of my mouse.

No comments or suggestions?

Well I gave up wasting my time trying to get it to work in Snow Leopard, and instead tried one of the 'el cheapo' BT dongles I bought on eBay (1.99$ delivered). Plugged it in, and booted into my SL partition. After a couple of minutes watching the BT Assistant tell me it couldn't pair with the mouse, the assistant quit and my mouse was working!!!!

Next problem, it is soooooo sluggggggisssssh. I've turned the tracking up to its max, but the MightyMouse still acts like it is on Valium ;) I check my sytem profile, and the dongle is recognized as a CSR chipset (I don't know if that is correct, as my $1.99 piece of technology didn't have any specs.

Any ideas, please :)