10.6.3 Update + 9800GX2 = Black Screen!

Glauber

36 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!!

Yesterday, I update my RIG with the 10.6.3, and after this.. I´m getting the black screen!

My screen setup is DVI - connected to my monitor and HDMI - connected to my TV.

Somebody have this problem too?? Is there any solution??

Thnaks!

Gl@uber

Hi everyone!!

Yesterday, I update my RIG with the 10.6.3, and after this.. I´m getting the black screen!

Thnaks!

Gl@uber

Try to boot with only one monitor attached!

boot to windows and download these three files from OS 10.6.1 :

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

http://rapidshare.com/files/369987543/NVIDIA_kezt_10.6.1.rar

in your Macosx drive:

Go to System/Library/Extensions:

1- backup these three files

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

2- Unrar the file u downloaded above and then copy the kezts to System/Library/extensions

3- restart

u will have no black screen. now when u r in macosx then u can put back the orignal kexts and see if u get black screen with the orignal one or not ! if yes u can just use the kexts from 10.6.1

The same problem was present with 10.6.2 and HDMI monitors.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326392

I can now identify clearly the incompatibility :

- If you boot 10.6.2 with a 1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 16:9 TV, plugged as main or secondary display,

you will get a black screen.

- If you plug it while the computer is running it will freeze.

All we had to do was that:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326417

I can confirm that replacing NVDAResman.kext (6.0.6) and NVDANV50Hal.kext (6.0.6) with versions from 10.6.1 (6.0.2) SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!

I "found" the two 10.6.1 kexts here and the NV40Hal for the older cards here. ;)

Did you try it in 10.6.3 to see if it works?

Edit: I just tried it and it didn't work out for me.. Blue screen (instead of blank) and then just hangs...

I had the same issues and re-installed from scratch, the 9800gtx works perfectly with vanilla 10.6.3 graphics kexts + patched DSDT. Couldn't get it to work without blowing up everything and starting over. I'm guessing that this issue has to do with the patching we had to do in order to get the 9800 running in 10.6.2.

I should add my configuration: MSI x58 platinum mobo, i7 920, EVGA 9800GTX

I had the same issues and re-installed from scratch, the 9800gtx works perfectly with vanilla 10.6.3 graphics kexts + patched DSDT. Couldn't get it to work without blowing up everything and starting over. I'm guessing that this issue has to do with the patching we had to do in order to get the 9800 running in 10.6.2.

I should add my configuration: MSI x58 platinum mobo, i7 920, EVGA 9800GTX

Are you using HDMI output? If you are using DVI or DVI to VGA that is why you have it working. The problem for others with the 9800gt stems from the DVI to HDMI which, is what I have. When i switched cables to the same monitor but used the vga connector all was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I know in a different thread, someone confirmed that this happens with a factory-built Mac Pro using a PC 8800 GT, but no one ever tested a factory-built Mac Pro with an apple-sold 8800 GT. Either way, this doesn't seem to be a "Hackintosh problem" per se'. But it's starting to look like maybe the only solutions are either another video card, or a non-HDMI/HDCP monitor.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong (I may well be), but doesn't this problem only happen with a GeForce 8800? (I have a 9800 GT, but my understanding is that it's the same card, just re-marked for marketing purposes)

Unfortunately it's happening with a lot of NVIDIA cards, e.g., my GTS 250.

hmmm damn :lol: I never had to wait that long to install a update.

maybe its time for a new card (dont even know which that could be)

It's a bummer, to be sure. After trying every conceivable way to get the GTS 250 to work (DSDT, 10.6.1 NVDA kexts, both with a device ID and without, GraphicsEnabler string or not, Software Update or Combo Update, reinstallation, etc.) I had to swap out the card for an old 8600GT I had. The only high performance NVIDIA card which I've seen that works is the GTX 285 (NVIDIA has an OS X driver for it), but I'm not about to spend $320+ for a video card. The only other alternatives are a VGA connection or downgrading to 10.6.2, neither of which is acceptable.

yeah, it certainly does seem that some actual macs running 10.6.3 are encountering this issue when hooked up via HDMI or when using displayport adapters, at the very least it visually appears to be the same issue.

hopefully this means we get a fix from Apple eventually, but I'm still holding out for a fix from the community, after all Nvidia 8000 & 9000 series cards are pretty damn common around here

Hi everyone!!

Thnaks!

Gl@uber

I Had the same proble here, I have an XFX 9800GX2 that it was working w/QE on both DVI output on the 10.6.2 (I use EFI String) then when I upgrade to 10.6.3 and restart the system I had an Blank Screen on both monitors.

What I did to make it work (both monitors) I extract from 10.6.2 Combo update, the following files NVDANV40/50 and NVDAResm then I got the two monitors working... BUT.. I have NO QE & Acceleration from my graphic card..

So far, am now dealing with this...

• 2 weeks later...

If you TV has VGA or DVI port just use those. Even if you have to buy a dvi-vga adapter it will work. Only thing is that the quality of your image is seriously {censored}! I can't wait for someone to fix or for me to figure out what the heck to fix it. I've tried all the kext swapping and doesn't work. I will keep this topic posted if I get it figured out. VGA for now!!! Dammit!

Not a fix, but at least a bootable system.

Boot -s (singleuser)

mkdir /temp

cd /system/library/extensions

mv NV* /temp

reboot. You will get 1024x768 but at least won't have to rebuild your whole system. (till a solution is found)

Cheers

CJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've just noticed when I set my display settings to 'mirror' I get an output from one DVI port and a blue screen out of the other.

Just thought I'd share in case this is linked to your problem.

NB:- when not set to 'mirror' I have no problem, main desktop on one monitor and desktop 2 on the other!

D