Snow Leopard on the Vaio F series [F11, VPCF1]

OoTLink

94 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I'm glad to see some OS X loving, Vaio F users around here. Anyway, this being the first post, you'll see a funny guide and some advice. That's all there is to it, anyway..

Updates:

4/16/10: Please remember to keep the DVD in the computer after rebooting. Without installing Chameleon (or another EFI boot loader), you won't be able to boot into OS X without the DVD because the Vaio F's built in EFI doesn't know what to do with EFI disks.

Also, it looks like we may be able to do a vanilla kernel after all, as 10.6.2 has support for the i7! I did NOT know this, my apologies guys! I'll see about trying to update a disk to 10.6.2/10.6.3 and see how that goes with chameleon on a stick :D

Sounds like it'd be AWESOME!

The Good news:

* It works better than you'd expect, bluetooth and DVD burning appear to be supported, and with the vooodoo PS2 drivers, so does the trackpad and keyboard.

* It's FAST. Really, really fast.

The bad news (for now):

* The GT330m as of yet is not correctly supported, so it only runs at 1024x768

( but the new MacBook Pros also use the 330m!)

* I haven't figured out the wifi driver state yet (but it looks promising, might be a fix yet)... the vaio uses the Atheros AR9287, so try your luck there first.

Things I wonder if you'd try..

If you get it up and running, try grabbing pacifist on a real mac, taking this, getting the nvidia drivers..

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1026

and see if they work with the 330m! :poster_oops:

So here's where the guide starts:

* Obtain the hazard distro known as "snow leopard client server 10.6.2 sse2/sse3 intel/amd". I'm sure that other methods work, but so far I've had no luck with the vanilla method myself, so good luck with that (and please share if you find an alternate method!)

* when you first boot to the ugly alien screen, you hit F8 (if I remember correctly), and then type in:

cpus=8 busratio=12

Hit return, and it'll load the installer. At the installer, choose the PS2 stuff, and uh.. y for graphics enable I believe was the other option (boot_loader options or something).

Sorry, been a week or so since I've tried that.

Good things:

* The trackpad and keyboard work if you enable PS2

* Some other things work, like the optical drive (even supports burning, I guess)

Bad things:

* stuck at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (I forgot which, but I saw 768 once)

* in order to get wireless working, you have to change your wifi card or use a USB one. {or, find a way to make it work..]

Other stuff:

Our laptops have EFI, so don't mess with the fake EFI/BIOS drivers. I haven't really learned much more on that yet, some people use DSDTs but I'm still not exactly sure what those are lol.

... hrm..

Oh yea, when you get it running install chameleon, there's some stuff out there. I'm surprised that rEFIt doesn't work, but it might!

Just takes more tweaking around. Unfortunately I'm up to my eyeballs in homework and trying to pass my physics class, so I don't have time for that right now lol.

REMEMBER TO BURN YOUR WINDOWS RESTORE DISKS FIRST.

From there, your best bet will be to get a retail Windows 7 Home Premium disk (you can find downloadable ISOs), and use the serial # on the bottom of your vaio to get it up and running... after you've installed OS X with a successfully partitioned hard drive.

When you install chameleon (after you've installed Windows), it'll screw up your Windows partition. You can fix that, though. (If you install windows after chameleon, it'll screw up chameleon, but yea.. can be fixed either way).

You might need to do some reading around, as of the moment that's about all I can think of to tell you. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Someone PMed me earlier, wish I could PM them back about my findings but.. no such luck, their name has a funny character in it.

So here's what I have to start you guys off:

I used the hazard distribution (leohazard.com I think), when you first boot to the ugly alien screen, you hit F8 (if I remember correctly), and then type in:

cpus=8 busratio=12

Hit return, and it'll load the installer. At the installer, choose the PS2 stuff, and uh.. y for graphics enable I believe was the other option (boot_loader options or something).

Sorry, been a week or so since I've tried that.

Good things:

* The trackpad and keyboard work if you enable PS2

* Some other things work, like the optical drive (even supports burning, I guess)

Bad things:

* stuck at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (I forgot which, but I saw 768 once)

* in order to get wireless working, you have to change your wifi card or use a USB one. {or, find a way to make it work..]

Other stuff:

Our laptops have EFI, so don't mess with the fake EFI/BIOS drivers. I haven't really learned much more on that yet, some people use DSDTs but I'm still not exactly sure what those are lol.

... hrm..

Oh yea, when you get it running install chameleon, there's some stuff out there. I'm surprised that rEFIt doesn't work, but it might!

Just takes more tweaking around. Unfortunately I'm up to my eyeballs in homework and trying to pass my physics class, so I don't have time for that right now lol.

REMEMBER TO BURN YOUR WINDOWS RESTORE DISKS FIRST.

From there, your best bet will be to get a retail Windows 7 Home Premium disk (you can find downloadable ISOs), and use the serial # on the bottom of your vaio to get it up and running... after you've installed OS X with a successfully partitioned hard drive.

When you install chameleon (after you've installed Windows), it'll screw up your Windows partition. You can fix that, though. (If you install windows after chameleon, it'll screw up chameleon, but yea.. can be fixed either way).

You might need to do some reading around, as of the moment that's about all I can think of to tell you. Good luck!

I have installed the leohazard following he instructions above but when I boot it for the fist time I end up in a black screen. Can you please specify exactly the options you used? Thank you for your help.

Got same balck screen with blinking cursor with my Vaio F series after installation of leo hazard. I also wonder what kernel to use ´cause the Intel Atom Kernel 10.2.0, Legacy Kernel 10.2.0 Intel AMD, and Mobdin Kernel 10.0 AMD Only are not designed for the i7.

Anyways if OoTLink can remember his configuration after he passes his physics or if we nail it before that....I hope someone posts his findings.

Anyone else with Vaio´s F series and osx leo hazard...please post

UPDATE

Using VPCF113FX

What did work:

Used Snow Leopard Hazard

cpus=8, Busratio=12 to be able to start installer

used voodoo PS2 under laptop support

nvidia inject

chameleon EFI 10.5 (dual boot with win7 works ok)

No video at first....had to plug an external monitor and then added PciRoot=1 to the EFI Boot using OSX86 Tool

Also added resolution 1900x1080@60HZ using OSX86 Tools to modify the .plist and got better resolution but no acceleration.

Now I have better video resolution, no sound, no internet, etc...to be continued

Thanks everyone for your input

Seriously, all i did to mine was choose Graphics_Enabler under boot_options, and for the PS2 support, voodoops2trackpad under laptop_support and ps2 under patches.

(I can't remember if I did both PS2, but I believe I did). I also did a second install using the Nvidia_graphic options (all of them), but that didn't help matters.

OH! I see your problem now!

Black screen with blinking cursor == your computer doesn't know what to boot. Important note! Our Vaios use EFI, but they don't have drivers for EFI disks.

That's why I thought I mentioned, or should've anyway - that until you install Chameleon, (do it separately), you need to keep the hazard DVD in the computer when you boot it.

In other words, when the installer restarts the computer, leave the DVD in the drive, and at the launch screen hit F8 to access options, use the right arrow key (or whatever) to choose your hard drive's OS X volume you just installed, and then do the cpus=8, busratio=12 stuff.

That'll get you on your feet until you get Chameleon up and running. And then, you can fix your boot.plist to have cpus=8, busratio=12 so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Sorry about that!

Also: if you have the DVD in but are STILL getting blank screen errors, try setting the DVD drive as your first boot choice in the EFI menu (F2 at start, I believe).

Oh, and another important bit..

use "Snow leopard client server 10.6.2 sse2/sse3 intel AMD"

of course, I don't condone doing that unless you have a legit OS X disk handy :)

One more stupid important update (sorry for the rambling! I'll clean this stuff up later).

It looks like we may be able to do a vanilla 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 install! (With the chameleon-on-a-USB-stick method, of course). Would anyone care to try this out? I'll see if I have time in the morning. :)

Hope you guys have a fun weekend!

It would be a good idea to have a vanilla install on VAIO F, many HP laptops with i7 can do vanilla.

I just have a hard time(no clue whatsoever) finding all the necessary kexts that are needed for the VAIO F.

also, there's no update on kexts for the NVIDIA 330M now that the new macbooks use a slightly different 330M.

as for the wifi card, any ideas on the Atheros AR9287? I think I'm gonna replace it with a Dell 1520.

I think you're talking about the 320m, the 330m may be different too but it's not like the custom 320m thing. I'm pretty sure it just means an extension that supports newer Nvidia chips :) (one can hope).

Also, good news. Vanilla 10.6.3 does work. The hard part is getting a disk with 10.6.3 (I just grabbed the HD out of my bro's macbook and tried it).

You still need a bootloader like chameleon to get it up, of course (I just used one I had laying around on a dvd). Only problem was, mine didn't load loginwindow (it just sat at the blue screen but the mouse/keyboard worked [uSB ones, not the internal ones, of course]

Ah, found why:

com.apple.UserNotificationCenter[66]: _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO REGISTER PROCESS WITH CPS/CoreGraphics in WindowServer, err=1029

/System/Library/CoreServices/UserNotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/UserNotificationCenter[66]: _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO REGISTER PROCESS WITH CPS/CoreGraphics in WindowServer, err=1029

Though there's no info on this error. Soooo.. hrm. I dunno.

The Intel HD "chip" is part of the arrandale package, it is still completely separate from the 330m. In that sense, the 330m is probably still being driven by NVDANV50Hal.kext, as that's actually included in the update package (I checked).

Still need to figure out what's causing the blue screen freeze, but I'm not ready for that.

@ giò49

did you follow this guide and updated to 10.6.3?

if not, what method did you use to install SL on the vaio F?

could you please share the instructions here?

do you have the same wifi card (Atheros AR9287) or a different one?

@ giò49

did you follow this guide and updated to 10.6.3?

if not, what method did you use to install SL on the vaio F?

could you please share the instructions here?

do you have the same wifi card (Atheros AR9287) or a different one?

Hallo,

please see the img whith selected option.

Do a clean install of snoe leopard

if Install success update to 10.6.3 with the dmg file from Apple. DON't reboot! Delete the ext SLEEPENABLER.KEXT.

NO sound No Wireles (i use Linksys wusb600 out oif the box)

Resolution 1200x 1024 0r 1200x800 (boot with the flag :

-v "graphoics Mode"="1900X800x32"

or

-v "graphics Mode"="1900x1080x32"

the resolutions available are: 1.-1200x1024

2.-1200x800.

post-393967-1271686074_thumb.jpg

post-393967-1271686141_thumb.jpg

post-393967-1271686203_thumb.jpg

Hallo,

please see the img whith selected option.

Do a clean install of snoe leopard

if Install success update to 10.6.3 with the dmg file from Apple. DON't reboot! Delete the ext SLEEPENABLER.KEXT.

NO sound No Wireles (i use Linksys wusb600 out oif the box)

Resolution 1200x 1024 0r 1200x800 (boot with the flag :

-v "graphoics Mode"="1900X800x32"

or

-v "graphics Mode"="1900x1080x32"

the resolutions available are: 1.-1200x1024

2.-1200x800.

Hello again.My problem come just with DVD.When apple up restart DVD.Not let me Install in harddrive!!!

My Vaio is VPCF11M1E with i5 520M

Hello again.My problem come just with DVD.When apple up restart DVD.Not let me Install in harddrive!!!

Hello again.My problem come just with DVD.

When apple up restart DVD.Not let me Install in harddrive ???

partition the hd under windows

primary partition

boot the leo hazard with flag

-v cpus=8 busratio=12

format the partition with Disk Utility

options> see the img posted

after the install finish eject the dvd

boot the partition used with the kernel flag

-v -f

Regards

OK, I have managed to install the OS with the distro (server/client) from the first post.

I have also updated to 10.6.3 using the update software.(I only deleted sleepenabler)

I have also installed the MacBookPro Software upgrade with Pacifist, it seems that the GT330M works better with it installed but I cannot open any applications after the install.

Any help on this?

So it all works fine? Erm, the 1920x1080 res too? *looking at posts from above*

Unfortunately I wiped my first installation and did a new install and I cannot get it back with the GT330M "working better" I do not remember what modifications I did the first time...... :) still trying....

hello all

I've got the OS installed with Leohazard installer, but I can't get the NIC working.

what drivers are you guys using to get the machine on the net?

thanks

I use the Linksys WUSB600N v2 usb dongle I didn't find any kexts for the build in wireless or gigabyte

Does any of you guys have the "About This Mac" window working? Everytime I open it, it crashes and nothing happens. Maybe video kexts related?

another observation: I have 6GB (4+2), but it only recognizes the 2GB stick...

So still no support for 330M?