10.5.8 graphic problem after shutdown (not rebooting)

FNS

6 posts in this topic

I am using os 10.5.8 with a graphic card intel gma 950.

I used kext helper to install gma 950 .kext, everything work fine (QE supported) after rebooting.But, when i shutdown the computer and turn it on after few minutes. the gma 950 driver is not working(the monitor white ,blur and smoke) .

what i need to set to make it works after shutdown?

Please help, i have tried MANY kext files and most of them are having the same problem

It sounds like your display's EDID isn't always being picked up. The screen goes scrambled because OSX doesn't know how to talk to it correctly. It's not a driver issue, which is why switching drivers doesn't help. It's actually a common hardware problem. My laptop has the same bug. The easiest fix is using a Display Override:

While your OSX is running and displaying fine, go to Terminal and enter ioreg -l. Search for EDID. Copy and save the long alphanumeric string listed under IODisplayEDID. Now go to System Preferences, Sharing, turn on Screen Sharing, and set a password in Computer Settings. Note the vnc:// address. Now reboot, or do whatever you normally do so that the display scrambles again. Using a second computer, connect to the vnc:// address. If you're using Windows, use TightVNC. Once you've connected, open SwitchResX. Find the fake display and vendor id's it is using (mine is using /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 ). Copy that file to your desktop, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID. If that file isn't there, or you don't have all the data, you can try simply using / editing mine, which I have attached below. Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the default Override, and reboot. If all goes well, from now on when OSX can't read your EDID, it will use the default Display Override and this time get the proper data from there.

It sounds like your display's EDID isn't always being picked up. The screen goes scrambled because OSX doesn't know how to talk to it correctly. It's not a driver issue, which is why switching drivers doesn't help. It's actually a common hardware problem. My laptop has the same bug. The easiest fix is using a Display Override:

While your OSX is running and displaying fine, go to Terminal and enter ioreg -l. Search for EDID. Copy and save the long alphanumeric string listed under IODisplayEDID. Now go to System Preferences, Sharing, turn on Screen Sharing, and set a password in Computer Settings. Note the vnc:// address. Now reboot, or do whatever you normally do so that the display scrambles again. Using a second computer, connect to the vnc:// address. If you're using Windows, use TightVNC. Once you've connected, open SwitchResX. Find the fake display and vendor id's it is using (mine is using /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 ). Copy that file to your desktop, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID. If that file isn't there, or you don't have all the data, you can try simply using / editing mine, which I have attached below. Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the default Override, and reboot. If all goes well, from now on when OSX can't read your EDID, it will use the default Display Override and this time get the proper data from there.

THX A MILLION!!!!! Your solution WORKED!

I really want to say thank you to you.!! :thumbsup_anim:

I had google-ing for almost a week to solve this problem. I had been searching in many forums for solutions. I found out that there are not many people encounter this problem. Or maybe i use the wrong key word to search, as it is ...so call a weird problem.

Thx for the detail info and links in ur reply. It really help me to save a lot of my time.

add-on : In Terminal and enter ioreg -l , it will not show the full EDID. Please use SwitchResX to extract to get EDID.

THX A MILLION!!!!! Your solution WORKED!

I really want to say thank you to you.!! ;)

I had google-ing for almost a week to solve this problem. I had been searching in many forums for solutions. I found out that there are not many people encounter this problem. Or maybe i use the wrong key word to search, as it is ...so call a weird problem.

Thx for the detail info and links in ur reply. It really help me to save a lot of my time.

add-on : In Terminal and enter ioreg -l , it will not show the full EDID. Please use SwitchResX to extract to get EDID.

Glad it worked out for you. Ioreg -l actually will show the full EDID... if the Terminal window is wide enough. Yes, that sounds silly, but it outputs only as far as it has room and truncates the rest. For that reason, I usually stretch my Terminal windows wider than my screen before running ioreg. Or you could just use IORegExplorer. But you're right, SwitchResX can also pull the EDID :)

There's actually a lot of people who run into this problem, but most think it's due to needing different drivers. OSX has a really tough time reading proper EDID info for some reason. Sometimes the symptoms are as small as not having all resolutions listed; sometimes you randomly get a distorted or scrambled screen; sometimes you get a completely blank screen. In all cases, a Display Override should solve the issue. I'm still working on a DSDT-based solution.

Glad it worked out for you. Ioreg -l actually will show the full EDID... if the Terminal window is wide enough. Yes, that sounds silly, but it outputs only as far as it has room and truncates the rest. For that reason, I usually stretch my Terminal windows wider than my screen before running ioreg. Or you could just use IORegExplorer. But you're right, SwitchResX can also pull the EDID :)

There's actually a lot of people who run into this problem, but most think it's due to needing different drivers. OSX has a really tough time reading proper EDID info for some reason. Sometimes the symptoms are as small as not having all resolutions listed; sometimes you randomly get a distorted or scrambled screen; sometimes you get a completely blank screen. In all cases, a Display Override should solve the issue. I'm still working on a DSDT-based solution.

yes.firstly, i thought it is a driver problem. i reformat and i tried a lot of kext driver. After that, I start thinking whether it is a cache problem(shutdown clear cache, that is what i think ). Are you using gma950 also ? how is ur DSDT going?

thank you once again :D