Broadcom BCM440X for snow

The Sorcerer

36 posts in this topic

Good work sorcerer,

The kext loads perfect in 10.6.2 but loses connection after some time.

I have a test 10.6.1 partition, the kext worked perfectly there (I disabled w/PXE boot in BIOS), also I was able to download complete 10.6.2 update and other updates. After 10.6.2 update the kext is not working properly anymore.

Also I have doubts on little snitch, does it affect this kext it anyway? cause I saw some speed increase after I uninstalled little snitch program.

I will do my tests again and post it.

• 1 month later...
Good work sorcerer,

The kext loads perfect in 10.6.2 but loses connection after some time.

I have a test 10.6.1 partition, the kext worked perfectly there (I disabled w/PXE boot in BIOS), also I was able to download complete 10.6.2 update and other updates. After 10.6.2 update the kext is not working properly anymore.

Also I have doubts on little snitch, does it affect this kext it anyway? cause I saw some speed increase after I uninstalled little snitch program.

I will do my tests again and post it.

And the results are ?

do you still loose your connection after sometime ?

Under leopard, my connection worked well until it drop, few hours after the boot.

But now under Snow Leopard, it work good during few minutes, and the connection become very slow and unusable.

And the results are ?

do you still loose your connection after sometime ?

Under leopard, my connection worked well until it drop, few hours after the boot.

But now under Snow Leopard, it work good during few minutes, and the connection become very slow and unusable.

Yeah the same issue persists with snow leo. What I found out was the Ethernet card gets two ip's for the same MAC address so it looses connection over time. I guess the basic driver program it self has errors in it. It is best i guess to start a new forum on building BCM440X kext from Linux drivers like those guys who did the kext for nforce LAN. I have included the DHCP table snapshot to show what is happening with BCM440X kext ;) .

post-269203-1264774874_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have install this kext by myself (because I can't install them with osx86tools), I have change the rights on it, but nothing change: Safari says that I'm not connected to internet, and nothing change when I choose to repair my connection.

Any idea of what I can do?

PS : when I used iPC v10.5.6, my ethernet card worked fine!

i try to delete AppleHPET, but wasn't load before, and didn't resolve anything, i think it even worst :/

Exactly, i don't lost my connection, but it become so slooowwwwwww.

edit:

from this site :

http://www.hackintosh-india.com/2009/12/ap...opard-3264.html

where i got my kext, they said to delete some network preferences :

/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/

com.apple.network.identification.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

then reboot

but it didn't work for me.

I change my MTU to 1420, as an old thread suggest, but didn't work either.

What did you mean by changing the speed ?

I didn't remember any option to change that, where can i find such an option ?

another question, i can't get any DHCP table from my router, but i tried with the command arp -a, is it the same ?

I saw others possible solutions like maxmem=1024 as kernel flag or cpus=1, if someone want to give it a try.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...41663&st=60

Here's another interesting note. I've got a Dell Optiplex 320, and this issue started happening when I upgraded from 1 to 2 gigs of RAM. The DIMMS are identical, and the right speed for the machine. If I pull one of them out, the network is fine. As soon as I put the second one in, the same issue with the network dying within a minute of boot time occurs. Stranger still, I borrowed a 2 gig DIMM from another box, and the same issue happens.

Looks like I'm stuck at 1G of RAM for now...

Indiandragon, if you still have your 10.6.1 working, could you try the IONetworking kext on 10.6.2 ?

This tips worked for me with another PC and another network card.

Hellboy, the IONetworking kext was a modified kext for BCM440X in leopard. I don't think a 32/64 bit version of it exists for snow leopard and I also don't remember what was there in that kext to make BCM440X work properly in leopard, I think more information on that kext would be helpful :D .

I tried both:

cpus=1 has no effect on the issue

maxmem=1024 limits my system to 1 Gig of RAM and fixes the problem, but it's not a solution. I want to use all of my installed RAM.

FIXED:

I restored the original IONetworking.kext from 10.6 in my 10.6.2 install, and everything works normally again!

• 1 month later...