[GUIDE] Vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 on ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE

Urosv

19 posts in this topic

ASUS Rampage II Gene MAC OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installation guide ver 0.6 by Uros

This tutorial I am afraid is without pics therefore I've made it as easy as possible to read and understand. It's still in beta through... Will add pics soon. :rolleyes:

You need a:

- spare HDD (I used a 160GB USB 2.5 inch USB drive)

- copy of OS X Snow Leopard (preferable the ISO image of it)

- copy of iAtkos v7

- usb stick (minimum 8GB of size if you have Snow Leopard ISO) name it usb (!!!)

- This Zip file (download it, extract it and copy the folders Patcher and Extra to the root of the USB STICK) - its my zipped Extra folder, the Patcher folder

- 2 hours of your time

Firstly here are my computers specs:

Cpu: Core i7 920 do

MB: ASUS Rampage II Gene

Ram: 6x2GB Samsung 1333 MHz DDR3

VGA: Gigabyte Geforce GTX260 (HDMI, DVI, VGA ports)

SATA HDD AND SATA DVD Drives

After the configuration you will be able to bootup and install your Hackintosh without having to change a setting in your bios!

The naming scheme:

MacintoshHD - the drive you want to instal Snow Leopard to

SetupHD - the drive you will be installing Snow Leopard from

usb - your USB stick (FAT filesystem)

The Guide:

Prep: Unzip all downloaded files and put them onto your USB stick (You must have a folder Extra, A folder Patcher and the Chameleon bootloader on your stick)

1. First start your PC and go into bios.

2. Go to the CPU menu and disable everything, set the processor count to 1 and the busratio to 20 (if you have a 920 model cpu)

3. Set the drives to AHCI mode and disable the Jmicron SATA/IDE controler

4. Reboot and startup with the iAtkos v7 DVD

5. Format both your HDDs to GUID using disk utility (name your first drive MacintoshHD and your second drive SetupHD

6. Install iAtkos onto MacintoshHD with the following settings:

- bootloader: Chameleon 2

- Drivers (select Intel AHCI and Intel IDE) (you will not need other ones because we will format this HDD later on)

- select disabler

-remove TyMce

7. When everything installs fine you should be able to boot into iAtkos v7 Leopard

8. Go through the setup phase in Leo and plug in the USB stick you created before.

9. Copy the data from the USB stick to your desktop and put in the Snow Leopard installation DVD (or mount the ISO image)

If you have the ISO image you can skip the next 2 steps

10. Open DiskUtility and select your DVD drive on the left (click on the name of the drive not on the MAC OS X Install DVD icon) and click FILE -> NEW -> DISK IMAGE FROM (in my case disk3)

11. Select: image format -> read/write and click SAVE

Now you have the SL image on your desktop! :rolleyes:

12. Close DiskUtility and eject the Snow Leopard DVD

13. Reopen DiskUtility and select your SetupHD and click on the tab RESTORE

14. Select your SnowLeopard iso and from the right drag and drop your second HDD icon (to the destination field)

15. the ERASE DESTINATION FIELD MUST NOT BE MARKED!

16. Click on restore and wait. Get a drink in the mean time⦠:)

17. When it's done close disk utility and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 to SetupHD (yes the one you just restored the SL image to) in the following way:

* double click the Patcher folder on your USB stick and double click on RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.sh - this runs the Patcher

* when first asked select /Extra as the installation type and select SetupHD as the installation destination

* on the first menu press 2 to install a bootloader - select Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (again press 2)

* it the installer asks you for a Cache type press N (separate caches)

* when it finishes press 19 to exit the patcher

* close the terminal

18. Remove everything in the folder Extra (leave the folder) that Chameleon created on the root of SetupHD and copy the complete contents of the before downloaded folder Extra from the USB stick into it.

19. I also copied the dsdt.aml file that's in the Extra folder to the root of SetupHD.

20. Reboot the machine go into BIOS and restore your cpu settings back to normal

21. Don't forget to set your SetupHD for your first boot device!

22. Boot the machine and while booting plug in your USB stick (make sure you have the X58 patcher and the folder Extra on it)

23. The SL installation starts. Open Disk utility and partition your MacintoshHD drive and select GUID as the partition type.

24 Install SL on MacintoshHD and when it finishes (it starts counting down from 30) Click Utilities and open Terminal (don't worry it will stop counting until we exit Terminal - you have all the time you need)

25. write:

* mkdir /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Patcher - creates a folder Patcher on your MacintoshHD

* cp -R /Volumes/usb/Patcher /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Patcher - copies the patcher to this drive

* ti /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Patcher/RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.sh - runs the Patcher

* when asked select /Extra as the installation type and select MacintoshHD as the installation destination

* on the first menu press 2 to install a bootloader - select Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (again press 2)

* it the installer asks you for a Cache type press N (separate caches) and when it finishes press 19 to exit the patcher

* rm -R /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Extra/* - erases the contents of the Extra folder on MacintoshHD

* cp -R /Volumes/usb/Extra/* /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Extra - copies our Gene II optimized Extra folder to the Extra folder on MacintoshHD

* cp. /Volumes/usb/Extra/dsdt.aml /Volumes/MacintoshHD - this copies the dsdt.aml file to the root of MacintoshHD

* write exit, press enter and close Terminal

* the countdown will now continue and you can reboot your Hackintosh (remove USB stick and the SetupHD as the machine reboots)

The machine should boot into Snow Leopard in 64bit mode. For booting into 32Bit mode write arch=i386 when Chameleon starts and press Enter.

The SetupHD can be used to create your personal restore DVD via Disk Utility (it should fit onto a dual layer DVD) like that:

- open Diskutility and make sure your SetupHD is plugged in.

- select your SetupHD drive icon on the left and click FILE -> NEW -> disk image from (in my case disk4)

- select read/write as the image format and click SAVE

- burn in to a DVDDL media and you're set!

I hope you will succeed! :)

Once you install everything is it fully working?

For me everything is working except sound - but in the update of thig guide I will add this too. VoodooHDA was working for me on Leopard - it will probably also on Snow Leopard...

Guest dbwrobel

I was able to boot into iatkos and I'm trying to continue with the tutorial....

*I was not able to install right off the bat booting off the cd like the instructions say, I have to use the command -x -f -v cpus=1 busratio=20 when booting, without entering this I would keep getting a restart upon booting

Update: was able to install snow leopard, although I get stuck on the ti /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Patcher/RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.sh part, it says

-bash: ti: command not found

Guest dbwrobel
working sound kext for AD2000B:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/rampage-ii-...rt-after-t4294/

simple installation guide for this board:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.1#Asus

The guide says for 10.6.1, I was able to install 10.6 using the disc I bought; do you know if I can just update using software update straight away? Other than that I am up and running! Thank you so very much for you help :-)

• 3 months later...
The guide says for 10.6.1, I was able to install 10.6 using the disc I bought; do you know if I can just update using software update straight away? Other than that I am up and running! Thank you so very much for you help :-)

Hi bud !

Thanks a lot for your work!

If i have a running osx machine

i can do this list of things skipping first

installation of iaktos and start from point 8, right ?

• 1 month later...

For some reason I can't execute the Patch... The command (below) gives me a command does not exist. What is this ''ti'' and what syntax do you use because I really can't get it to work.

ti /Volumes/MacintoshHD/Patcher/RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.sh - runs the Patcher

HELP IS REATLY APPRECIATED, I GOT IATKOS WORKING BUT CANT UPGRADE TO SL FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE

I am trying to do this on a Rampage II Extreme but I cannot get it to boot from the DVD. I have tried the -x -f -v cpus=1 busratio=20 mentioned above but everytime I get Still waiting for root device. All I have plugged in is a SATA HDD and SATA DVDRW. They are in porst 1+2 on the ICH10R Controller. I have my BIOS set to AHCI and the JMicron Comtroller is disabled. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am trying to do this on a Rampage II Extreme but I cannot get it to boot from the DVD. I have tried the -x -f -v cpus=1 busratio=20 mentioned above but everytime I get Still waiting for root device. All I have plugged in is a SATA HDD and SATA DVDRW. They are in porst 1+2 on the ICH10R Controller. I have my BIOS set to AHCI and the JMicron Comtroller is disabled. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Hi

Were you able to resolve this? We are using the same mainboard and I have a ATI Radeon 5870

Have you already given up or got it to work?

First of all, I'd like to thank Urosv for the comprehensive guide.

I have spent several days and still can not get it to work, but I've got to No 16 of the guide and am working on No 17. I have succeeded in booting iaktos 7.

My first advice is that it takes several minutes after a long seeming freeze to boot up. You could try to wait a little longer, say, an hour and see.

For those of you just reading the guide and having problem during the boot process, you'll need to press F8 when the following messages show up, and you'll have a "boot:" prompt, where you could try typing "-x- -v -f busratio=20 cpus=1" without quotation marks and hit enter.

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Build date: 2008-06-09 20:12:22

My second advice is that BIOS setting seems very tricky on our Rampage II Gene. Here is the near full disclosure of my BIOS settings. In my case, two ACPI settings in the [POWER] section chaged behavior of the boot. I had to set one enabled, and the other one disabled as follows.

Good Luck!

BIOS version 1033

[Extreme Tweaker]

Tuning Mode [Gaming]

CPU Ratio Setting [20.0]

OC From CPU Level Up [AUTO]

OC From Memory Level Up [AUTO]

CPU Turbo Power Limit [Disabled]

[CPU Configuration]

CPU ratio setting [20.0]

C1E Support [Disabled]

Intel® Virtualization Tech [Disabled]

CPU TM Function [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit[Disabled]

Intel® HT Technology [Disabled]

*ACtive Processor Cores [1]

Intel® Speedstep Tech [Disabled]

[storage Configuration]

Configure SATA as [AHCI]

[Onboard Devices Configuration]

High Definition Audio [Enabled]

Front Panel Type [HD Audio]

JMicron 36x ATA Controller [Disabled]

Realtek LAN] [Enabled]

LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]

Onboard 1394 Controller [Enabled]

[Power]

Suspend Mode [Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]

ACPI APIC support [Enabled]

(sorry for a long post)

• 2 months later...
Have you already given up or got it to work?

First of all, I'd like to thank Urosv for the comprehensive guide.

I have spent several days and still can not get it to work, but I've got to No 16 of the guide and am working on No 17. I have succeeded in booting iaktos 7.

My first advice is that it takes several minutes after a long seeming freeze to boot up. You could try to wait a little longer, say, an hour and see.

For those of you just reading the guide and having problem during the boot process, you'll need to press F8 when the following messages show up, and you'll have a "boot:" prompt, where you could try typing "-x- -v -f busratio=20 cpus=1" without quotation marks and hit enter.

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Build date: 2008-06-09 20:12:22

My second advice is that BIOS setting seems very tricky on our Rampage II Gene. Here is the near full disclosure of my BIOS settings. In my case, two ACPI settings in the [POWER] section chaged behavior of the boot. I had to set one enabled, and the other one disabled as follows.

Good Luck!

BIOS version 1033

[Extreme Tweaker]

Tuning Mode [Gaming]

CPU Ratio Setting [20.0]

OC From CPU Level Up [AUTO]

OC From Memory Level Up [AUTO]

CPU Turbo Power Limit [Disabled]

[CPU Configuration]

CPU ratio setting [20.0]

C1E Support [Disabled]

Intel® Virtualization Tech [Disabled]

CPU TM Function [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit[Disabled]

Intel® HT Technology [Disabled]

*ACtive Processor Cores [1]

Intel® Speedstep™ Tech [Disabled]

[storage Configuration]

Configure SATA as [AHCI]

[Onboard Devices Configuration]

High Definition Audio [Enabled]

Front Panel Type [HD Audio]

JMicron 36x ATA Controller [Disabled]

Realtek LAN] [Enabled]

LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]

Onboard 1394 Controller [Enabled]

[Power]

Suspend Mode [Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]

ACPI APIC support [Enabled]

(sorry for a long post)

i have the exact same settings as you and all I get it iatkos trying to boot up but after a while, i get the circle with a dash through it.

what could be wrong?

thanks.

OK. I got this fully working, finally. Followed the same procedure with some minor tweaks.

If you cant get to iAtkos at all after installing it, you can try the following as they worked for me:

- Leave only one stick of RAM

- Only connect the drive with iAtkos and the DVD drive on the first two sata ports

That solved my problem with booting into the desktop.

Once I was able to restore the image to the SetupHD, I encountered another problem. I was able to boot up to the Snow Leopard installation but the installation would always fail towards the end. This was solved by booting the the SetupHD in 32-bit mode. Not sure how that helped but it did. I was able to install into Snow Leopard no problems.

I couldnt get the terminal stuff to work so I just booted into OSX and copied the files and installed them manually.

Hope this helps some of you out.

• 1 month later...

i have tried installing iatkos v7 as you mentioned above by unticking all the install options except the ones you mentioned and i amanged to install it but it will not boot.

not sure what its stuck on as the messages are not very clear. see pic below

post-300531-1287434124_thumb.jpg

system: Asus Rampage II Extreme

Intel i920 @ stock speeds

3x2 GB Corsair 1600mhz - tried it with one stick

1GB Seagate Sata HDD

Geforce GTX 260

Pioneer SATA DVDRW

bios settings are the same as the post above.

when i have tried with the default iatkos setting which are already ticked and ticking the ones you mention at the top i get "still waiting for root..."

i'm sure its to do with the install settings for the sata but don't know what to pick. you are sure have to pick both ahci and ide and not just one?

the default settings are:

bootloader - chameleon v2

x86 patches

-extra directory

-DSDT

-decrypters - appledecrypt

disabler

remove tyMCE

drivers

-sata/ide

-AHCI

-Intel SATA/IDE

post install actions

urosv can you lease post all the options selected when installiin iatkos

also i can only start the install by -x -v -f busratio=20 cpus=1 and same when i try to boot from hdd