HP XW8600 ?

Kari_Juhani

29 posts in this topic

I have a HP xw8600 (Intel Chipset 5450) with Double Intel Xeon X54503 (3.00 GHz 2x6 MB L2 cache 1333 MHz FSB) that i have tested with Leopard, but no luck with Snow so far.

The thing is - i think - the BIOS. There are only three settings "combined IDE", "separate IDE" and "RAID & ACHI".

If i choose "RAID & ACHI" it wont find Disk0 or USB to boot, and with other settings it just waits for root device..... I have tesetd 10.5.7 and that works with separate IDE - settings.

xw8600_datasheet_jun09_061609.pdf

Anyone had any luck with this ????

Kari

• 7 months later...
I have a HP xw8600 (Intel Chipset 5450) with Double Intel Xeon X54503 (3.00 GHz 2x6 MB L2 cache 1333 MHz FSB) that i have tested with Leopard, but no luck with Snow so far.

The thing is - i think - the BIOS. There are only three settings "combined IDE", "separate IDE" and "RAID & ACHI".

If i choose "RAID & ACHI" it wont find Disk0 or USB to boot, and with other settings it just waits for root device..... I have tesetd 10.5.7 and that works with separate IDE - settings.

Kari

I've gotten Snow Leopard (10.6.3) running by using the installer from:

http://osx86.sojugarden.com

On a vanilla 10.6 image, to a thumbdrive... and then upgrading to 10.6.3 after install.

HOWEVER, I had to set the controller to IDE mode, which I'm sure is hurting performance. Also, the SATA controller shows up in System Profiler as a blank line... not unknown, just EMPTY. And the drives are recognized but I am sure this is sub-optimal.

• 5 months later...

The xw8600 has a sas lsi 1068e controller. You might want to forget the intel controller and look at installing on the sas controller. You can connect sata drives to the lsi controller

Alzaka

Kari

• 1 month later...

i tried http://osx86.sojugarden.com method using an original snowleo disto to build my hack install for the hp xw8600.

but i get an kernel error or stuff on boot (the install drive) - the black/grayed out 'black screen of death'

what went wrong?

could you send/post your used additional kexts and choosen options on install to get the xw 8600 up and running in snow leopard, too?

TIA,

acidophil

• 1 month later...

Make sure you use a retail 10.6.3 disc, this is what I did for my xw8600, booted fine with myHack installer. After install, ran myhack installer again. Downloaded http://www.mediafire.com/?wytdyumiywo for the nvenabler.kext and nvenabler64.kext and got full support for quadro fx 570. Everything is working perfect. I found a post here with a modified broadcom 5755 kext with the 167b device id in it, loaded it up and now both ethernets are working great. I installed SATA drive on same controller as cdrom, set bios to raid+ahci and everything went super smooth!

• 8 months later...

I Have Lion running on an xw8600 using original 10.6.3 DVD and myhack.

Use BCM5722D.kext from kexts.com for the ethernet, install with kexthelperB7 or whatever you prefer.

The XFX nVidia GeForce GTX285 1GB works full QE/CI with "GraphicsEnabler=yes"

You can only use four SATA devices (3xHDD/SSD and 1xDVD) due to the IDE BIOS setting needed to avoid "Waiting for root device" error. RAID/AHCI setting is useless, cannot install when in this setting as no hard drives are visible in the installer or Lion/Snow Leopard. I have not managed to get anything recognised on the SAS controller yet but I am giving this machine to my brother soon so he can edit HD video.

VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg will get sound working but front panel sound will not function, I have yet to find a better driver. Other versions of VoodooHDA recognise the front panel but sound crackles and pops.

Had trouble with app store so overkilled it and applied "PCIRoot=1" "EthernetBuiltIn=yes" and made sure ethernet port was en0, rebooted and all works fine.

All in all this machine although running in IDE mode and dual booting Lion and XP Pro x_64 Edition is pretty quick. It gets a NovaBench score of 946 which is only picking up one processor.

2x Xeon 3.0GHz

12GB DDR2 667MHz ECC FB-DIMM

XFX GTX 285 1GB

2x 500GB HDD

1x 2TB HDD

DVD-ROM

If anybody has any ideas on getting the SAS going I would love to hear it.

I hope this helps you guys out a bit.

• 5 weeks later...
I Have Lion running on an xw8600 using original 10.6.3 DVD and myhack.

Use BCM5722D.kext from kexts.com for the ethernet, install with kexthelperB7 or whatever you prefer.

I am not able to get that kext to work. I installed it with Kext Wizard, but I still dont have internet working.

Would you be able to help?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to get 10.6 installed on my XW8400. Been using the 10.6 retail but no joy using every boot CD available. Every attempt I get a KP "was expecting 2 cores but only found 1 for CPU1". I have 2x Xeon 5160's but different stepping. Do they need to be matched pair? I was able to get one distro to install 10.5.6, and 10.6.2 installs but KP at boot with the same message. I reallyy want SL, lion attempts give the same KP also. Under 10.5.6 ASP shows 2 CPUS but only 3 cores. Tried using DSDT but made no difference. Any ideas?

I can boot from SAS and SATA no problem under 10.5.6, all drive recognized. Just have to set IDE mode as priority in the BIOS.

Thanks

Success! Changed the Xeon's to a matched pair of 5160's and instant boot. The pair that were in there when I bought the XW8400 were os different stepping and OSX did not like it. Updated to 10.6.8.. Had DSDT working but broke it so almost there.

Happy Holidays!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, try it with the correct Distro. I used iAtkos L2. Before you begin with the installation, absolutely 3 points in the Bios must be made.

1. Use separate IDE (Bevor you install)

2. disable SAS Controller before installing /after install IOATAFamily.kext you can use combined IDE use more then 1 Sata Harddisk.

3. PC EFI v10.5 and then Chameleon 2.0 RC5 must have to Install.

Customs:

Graphics Enable= Yes

VoodooHDA.kext

Disabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Start with: -x -v pmVersion=0

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

one had luck with lion or SL on wx8600 board?

I hav the same question"one had luck with lion or SL on wx6600 board" ?

Because i wil buy 4600 or 6600, i have find more user with lion than snowleopard , but i prefer snowleopard

I have a fully functioning xw8600 on 10.7.4.

-Dual x5450

-4gb ram

-Quadro FX1700

-Sound works with latest VoodooHDA

-2x SATA HD's connected to SAS controller (SATA ports function as well) Had to add device ID to the LSIFusion Kext, don't recall actual kext name. Really was just trying to get SAS controller working, then never switched back to SATA out of laziness!

-Working ethernet with BCM5722D.kext, had to edit info.plist and add my device ID.

-Sleep/wake from sleep works, have to use PleaseSleep to initiate sleep, wakes with single mouse/keyboard click.

Bios is set to RAID+AHCI, also worked on Combined IDE (I think, it was whichever IDE mode which supportes 4 SATA ports)- can post exact bios config when I am at the computer.

Install wasn't done using methods which I can discuss on this board (TonyMac methods), feel free to PM me and I can provide details when I get home from the office.

In short, installed using aforementioned method, only installed latest FakeSMC and NVClock plugin (no other plugins work as it has an SMSC SuperIO controller) I get monitoring of HD's, CPU tempa (only one of them, I think), GPU fans/temps, but no system/CPU fans or other temps. Graphics work with GraphicaEnabler=yes, no sleep enabler/NullCPUPWM kexts, IntelCPUPwm loads fine and I achieve either a 6x or 9x multiplier.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you try with more than 4gb of ram ?

Can you explain your procedure?

I'm think that this is the right machine

I have found a

HP XW8600 2X XEON E5440 QUADCORE 2,83 GHZ 8GB 73 GB SAS DVD QUADRO FX3700 for euro 499

But i want osx updated 10.6.8 or 10.7.x i don't know what is the last lion?

I write you a private message.

A question how your geekbench result?

amazing what i b o o t have you used ?

i b o o t or i b o o t Legacy?

I'm not an expert about " info.plist editing and device ID "

usb work ?

what other hack is necessary?

have have 10.6.2 DVD retail and 10.7 from appstore

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys a tip for you

Change the PCI device ID in AppleAHCIPORT.kext -> info.plist from 2681 -> 2682 and all 6 sata ports will run natively.

Run lspci to verify your device ID's first.

device ID's 2681, 2682 and 2683 are all for the 631xESB/632ESB SATA AHCI/RAID controller, as the BIOS/EFI supports both AHCI and RAID simultaneously.

http://cateee.net/lk.../SATA_AHCI.html

Currently booting 10.6.8 from SATA drive connected to the Lsi SAS Port, but all 6 SATA ports appear in system profiler, with both NTFS connected drives mounting and reading correctly.

I haven't benchmarked or tested the SATA ports/drives, but the drives mount and read perfectly.

Also found that the broadcom kext needed the upper case B for the device ID changed to lower case for the network ports to appear in system profiler

peace out

• Like 1

Easiest path is to have two blank hard drives to begin with...

Boot into a Live distro of Linux, I used Ubuntu 10.10 FYI, though that's not critically important

Then use dd in linux to copy the entire OS X DVD - I used 10.6.0

dd if=/dev/(your CD/DVD device) of=/dev/(device name of one of your blank hard drives)

eg dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdb

Use fdisk -l to check the device names or something like disk utility or gparted

Once you've got the DVD duplicated to one hard drive you can navigate to the relevant kexts and either remove or modify the contents using nautilus - "gksu nautilus" will get the window manger running under root privileges

Remove IOATAFamily.kext if booting from a duplicate of anything lower than 10.6.3

Edit the info.plist inside the AppleAHCIPORT.kext, there is a device id 2681 in the second set of devices, change it to 2682 and save.

I can't give you a step by step as I hosed my install at least half a dozen times and had to recover it with various means

Using ###### or another Chameleon boot disk (CD) to start booting from the hard drive installer.

Once the system in installed, you will have to remove the IOATAFamily.kext from the installed system, otherwise it won't boot correctly.

Updating to 10.6.8 was as simple as downloading the combo Update and running.

peace out

• Like 1