Snow Leopard kernel by qoopz/nawcom! [Intel/AMD]

pauℓzurrr.

103 posts in this topic

Thats right folks. Its about time that most of guys waited for a SSE2 Kernel for both AMD and Intel. well this is it , qoopz and the great team behind have done most of the work to get the ball rolling , that is to get SSE2 support for Snow Leopard working and as well as AMD support. Not to mention that this kernel supports 64-bit for AMD processors and Intel processors with AMD64 and Intel’s EM64T. It makes it possible to run 64-bit applications. Plus this kernel also supports Intel i5 processors However keep in mind that this kernel will not run in pure 64-bit kernelspace. Doesn’t make sense to you ?. I’ll explain in a jiffy – but first credit goes to qoopz for coming up with the kernel !

So what the hell are you trying to say – At first you said 64-bit but now you are saying its not…Please do explain

It means that the kernel will work in 32-bit. You don’t get pure 64-bit mode , as in your hardware drivers would be in 32-bit. However programs would take advantage of 64-bit mode and run natively in 64-bit if its capable of doing so. However be warned that 64-bit support is bit flaky due to the fact that these older processors lack SSSE3. For AMD systems , you’ll notice that some programs will crash with 64-bit. As for Intel , you’ll notice that QuickTime X will fail to play H.264 movies with 64-bit turned on. These are known issues. 64-bit support is disabled by default due to these reasons. To enable 64-bit , simply boot with “-force64″ (without quotes) to test out 64-bit functionalitly. AMD users with SSE2 and AMD64 should not attempt to run programs in 64-bit as its way to slow and it can cause lots of hiccups (hangs , kernel panic and such).

Features of the Kernel :-

* Bulit-in kernel blacklister – automatically blacklists bad kexts from loading. Therefore you don’t need to use a disabler to disable it manually

* bigger dmesg – Which translates to a larger log file so that you can troubleshoot easily

* uuid patching/fix – Eliminates the need of UUID kext or specifying manually

* fsb detection – Do I’ve to say more on this

* cpu cache detection – Again , I don’t have to explain on this

* reboot fix – Eliminates the need of OpenHaltRestart and fixes shutdown/reboot issue

* sse3emu -SSE3 emulator for SSE2 processors . Bear in mind that most of the applications in Snow Leopard run fine with this emulator. However there are some reports of Safari and certain applications that may crash or behave weirdly. It will not be enabled if you have SSE3

For AMD users , it doesn’t include on the fly CPUID patching – which means that you’ll have to patch your CPUIDs manually by using a third party tool. You could read more about this in my Snow Leopard guide and in other AMD for Snow leopard installation guide.

Original Link (Rapidshare)

Mirror Link #1 (uploadpla.net)

Mirror Link #2 (crimsy)

Mirror Link #3 (MediaFire)

Installation - To install simply rename your old mach_kernel as mach_backup and rename this as mach_kernel . If you’re planning to install Snow Leopard. Do follow my installation guide as I’ve updated it to reflect SSE2 changes or you may follow other guides ! Please do not forget to read the readme to know more details about this kernel

Source Code - The source code (.dff) will be given upon request only. You may contact me directly via e-mail if you want the source.

Kernel Name – Some of you may ask why the kernel is named as “anappirtrvh†. which means thx to: azi, nevermind, arya, prasys, p|astikman, inku, roisoft, tomas, radekg, Voodoo, and HiFi the slow tester. – Which is the first name of the beta testers who helped to test the kernel

I would like to take this opportuntity to thank qoopz for releasing the kernel for the SSE2 AMD/Intel user community out there. without him , we would be still in darkness and I am guessing he is the guy that would get the ball rolling.

Source

Nawcom has made a update of the kernel for 10.6.2

So you can now use 10.2.0 kernel on AMD/P4

Installer Download here (also includes SleepEnabler.kext)

Diff Patch here

Great! Someone is trying hard for all of us! I'm using this kernel right now and it is working as fine as it should be (some issues with 64 bit "mode"/apps, no cpuid patch for now e.t.c - but all of them are known and described inside kernel's readme).

So, I'm writting this post in order to thank qoopz for his work/time/effort!

Oh,and the testers and everyone else involving too! icon_smile.gif

This is my hardware list:

Motherboard: Supermicro H8DAE-2 with nVidia MCP55 Pro chipset which supports up to two Six-Core AMD Opteron 2000/8000 processors

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8DAE-2

Processor: 2x Opteron 2350 (8 cores total -2GHz each)

Ram: 4x2 GB Samsung DDR2 667 Registered ECC Unbuffered (8 Gb total)

Graphics Card: Nvidia 9400 GT

I also have two SATA hard disks, 120 GB and 640GB , a Sony IDE DVD reader and an Optiarc DVD Recorder.

any Idea if/when on the fly CPUID patching will be implemented?

Not sure, it wasn't ready yet for Snow Leopard. Might take some time before qoopz or someone else gets it working...

also this kernel doesn't seem to work on my amd system. It keeps giving me some weird errors on verbose mode that i've never seen before and i left it for an hour and no boot.

my specs

amd athlon 3800+ X2

asus A8N-SLI

2 gigs ram

What kind of errors do you get?

Cause i can't boot the kernel too, i've been talking to qoopz but we couldn't find a solution yet.

I'm not getting any KP or error...

This kernel let me boot Core i5 & Phenom II, though I still have to specify maxmem = 4096 on AMD.

It worked fine with Chameleon RC3, but failed with RC3 based pcefi ( kp showing ACPI related message ).

Thanks,

Here's what I get in verbose mode.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Stuff like this keeps getting put out

I removed my network card since I don't use it and this is what I get

IMG_0016.jpg

It just stops at this last line

Then I unplugged my m-audio USB and this is what I get

IMG_0017.jpg

It just stops at this last line

Works for me. had an issue caus i installed from leopard. it was missing the installer reciepts. setup another drive with snow on it and reinstalled from that, and its all fantastic.

HUGE THANKS!!

P4D 940 - 3.2ghz, ga-8i945gmf, nvidia 7200gs.

First of all, thanks a lot for this kernel. It works great, though there are a few things that I would like to mention. First, I have an AMD Phenom processor with 8 GB of RAM which usually requires me to use maxmem=4096 to get SL or L to boot, but with this kernel, if I enable 64-bit mode, I can use the full 8 GB of RAM. I tried this same trick with Leopard, but I don't think whatever it was that made this work has been implemented in the Leopard kernel (though I believe it should). Now, if I try to use maxmem=8192 or leave the option off and disable 64 bit mode, then it does an immediate reboot and doesn't boot at all.

Now for the bad news... just like everyone else with AMD and 64 bit mode, most apps don't work. Even Firefox doesn't. I was able to open Mail though and I didn't try many others. If Firefox can't work, then I'll just wait for another kernel before trying to use 64 bit.

One more thing, as it seems that true 64 bit mode requires SSSE3 and AMD doesn't have this, does this mean that another emulator like the SSE3 emulator is a possibility? Will AMD ever have true 64 bit mode enabled?

Thanks again.

I'm having kernel panics with the Core i5- anyone else get a boot from a P55 chipset? Please send me a message if you have a solution or what method you used. Thanks in advance!

:) Thanks to hnak i got it running- will post a guide for Core i5 P55 soon... Full Audio/Ethernet/QE/CI/Updateable, etc...

very well done! thank you very much!

have sadly to report that i have the same error like CrimsonAngel post#11

with modbin test7 it boot into snow leopard...

solution like -32x flag or force32 doenst work either :/

/investigate still in progress...

Hi all,

I have:

1. a working Leopard install on my Intel sse2 based dothan system

2. a retail Snow Leopard disc

3. a USB stick with retail Snow Leopard copied onto it

I know how to burn a Boot 132 disc.

I have backed up my working Leopard install and have a drive partitioned with a blank partition and a Leopard one.

How can I best begin trying to install Snow Leopard onto my Intel SSE2 system with this kernel?

Much thanks

update: after installing the new fakesmc.kext from netkas and deleting dsmos.kext snow leopard boots and works.

have the same issues with this kernel, like with modbin test7 kernel. itunes account management and warcraft3 doenst work with lan/inet.

i guess this two things would be fixed with the famous cpuid patch things...

thanks alot and keep on :D!