Install SNOW LEOPARD 10.6 on ACER ASPIRE ONE D250

Duke Santos

70 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if Snow Leopard runs on the Acer Aspire One D250? What would be the correct way of installing it (kext combination)??

Search for the tutorial of the Acer Aspire one A150, the D250 is very, very similar. So that will definately work! Good luck!

Please let us know how it worked out!

UPDATE: All hardware will work under Leopard, but not all under Snow Leopard. And you must replace the wifi card with another card to make it work. For a wifi card alternative, look at the following topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190911

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 10.6.2 working with sleep and wifi. I used netbookinstaller for the bootloader and os install. for wifi, i used two methods. first, i took apart the machine and replaced the half-height pcie wifi card with a dell 1510 wifi card. worked ok but the card had weak reception. second, I removed this card and installed an apple airport extreme full height in the second pcie slot. I extended the antenna wires to reach it and taped over pin 20 on the card so its always on - link. works great. i used voodoohda.kext to enable audio. nice little netbook.

I have 10.6.2 working with sleep and wifi. I used netbookinstaller for the bootloader and os install. for wifi, i used two methods. first, i took apart the machine and replaced the half-height pcie wifi card with a dell 1510 wifi card. worked ok but the card had weak reception. second, I removed this card and installed an apple airport extreme full height in the second pcie slot. I extended the antenna wires to reach it and taped over pin 20 on the card so its always on - link. works great. i used voodoohda.kext to enable audio. nice little netbook.

Which version of NBI did you use and how did you get sleep to work? Have you got the internal mic working yet? Thanks!

My D250 : 10.6.2

Sleep do not work(install do not sleep)..

Audio ALC272 full work(AppleHDA)...

Ethetnet Atheros AR8132(Attansic)do not work...

VIDEO:GMA950(work)

WiFi(Dell 1395) Broadcom BCM94312MCG(work)

How create antenna for wi-fi ?)

Which version of NBI did you use and how did you get sleep to work? Have you got the internal mic working yet? Thanks!

I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 to create the os install. For sleep, I updated the bios to 1.25 and use sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2. For mic, i use voodoohda.kext and use the prefpane to adjust the monitor level for the mic.

I used the existing white wire and rerouted it to the second pcie slot. I cut the black coax and spliced a length from an old laptop using solder and shrink tube.

My D250 : 10.6.2

Sleep do not work(install do not sleep)..

Audio ALC272 full work(AppleHDA)...

Ethetnet Atheros AR8132(Attansic)do not work...

VIDEO:GMA950(work)

WiFi(Dell 1395) Broadcom BCM94312MCG(work)

@ZPK...Are you sure your able to use a dell 1395 wifi card cuz thats a full size mini card not a half height card which suggest your using the 3g slot on the bottom of your netbook. A lot of people think this is a extra pci-e slot since its the same as one but from what I've read normal pci-e mini cards don't work in this slot. I've tried my DW1390 in there and it is not seen. even after running broadcom script. Please clarify your set up if you can. thanks.

@ZPK...Are you sure your able to use a dell 1395 wifi card cuz thats a full size mini card not a half height card which suggest your using the 3g slot on the bottom of your netbook. A lot of people think this is a extra pci-e slot since its the same as one but from what I've read normal pci-e mini cards don't work in this slot. I've tried my DW1390 in there and it is not seen. even after running broadcom script. Please clarify your set up if you can. thanks.

The bottom pcie slot is a normal pcie slot. It has no hardware control to turn on or off a device. Pin 20 controls on/off feature. If you tape over it, the device will always be on. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme (Broadcom) full height card in the second slot and it works very well. You need to get antenna wires to it, I rerouted the built in ones.

The bottom pcie slot is a normal pcie slot. It has no hardware control to turn on or off a device. Pin 20 controls on/off feature. If you tape over it, the device will always be on. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme (Broadcom) full height card in the second slot and it works very well. You need to get antenna wires to it, I rerouted the built in ones.

I have DW1390 (broadcom chipset) full hieght mini card with pin #20 covered (taped) AspireOne D250-1165 and the card is not seen or recognized. If there are any other D250 owners that have gotten this card to work I'd like to hear your tale. i know this is a very popular card that works and is seen as airport in other netbooks.

I have DW1390 (broadcom chipset) full hieght mini card with pin #20 covered (taped) AspireOne D250-1165 and the card is not seen or recognized. If there are any other D250 owners that have gotten this card to work I'd like to hear your tale. i know this is a very popular card that works and is seen as airport in other netbooks.

I just put a DW1390 card in the second slot to try it and it works. Are you yours works?

• 2 weeks later...
I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 to create the os install. For sleep, I updated the bios to 1.25 and use sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2. For mic, i use voodoohda.kext and use the prefpane to adjust the monitor level for the mic.

What BIOS settings are you using to get sleep to work? I updated to 1.25 as well, and searched for the sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2 and the voodoohda.kext, updated to 10.6.2, installed the kexts, and restarted. Now my sound works, but no sleep; it looks like a silent kernel panic. Can you upload/link to the sleepenabler.kext file you are using and post any BIOS settings you made? Thanks!

i would also appreciate any information on this. i did same install and what kexts, bios settings, and did you use sleep enabler for 10.6.3 (he has a prerelease) or 10.6.2

I currently have bios 1.25, sleepenabler for 10.6.2, and an acer aod250-1584. Still no sleep though, but sound and everythig else worked. My wifi card worked out of the box using NBI 0.8.3 RC5. From that install I just removed the two PS2 kexts and installed the voodoo PS2 controler, and I removed the reltek kext and installed voodoohda

Also forgot to say, my aspire goes through a weird loop when I try to get it to sleep. Its did this before updating bios, sleepenabler, and from 10.6 to 10.6.2. It will "sleep" (actually I think it shuts down), then it goes through the Acer boot screen, then instantly tries to restore the desktop (its all greyed out desktop with the white bars at the bottom showing the progress), and then turns back off right before it loads. It just repeats like this constantly and the only way I can get it to stop is to pull the drive out and mount it on my other computer. Anyone else have this problem? I really need to fix this as I got this netbook for my fiance for med school and it needs to sleep or I have to go back to windows.....and from what I have seen windows 7 is really slow on this computer.

Does anyone know if Snow Leopard runs on the Acer Aspire One D250? What would be the correct way of installing it (kext combination)??

I can't write a perfect how-to, but I do have a running 10.6.2 on a D250:

screenshot20100112at103.png

What I did in general:

1) upgraded memory to 2GB.

2) upgraded wireless card to DW1510 - works works works no question. Save yourself headaches of kexts for Atheros and just f'ing upgrade the card. You may be able to get other cards to work in the other PCI-E bay by taping pin 20, I DON'T KNOW.

3) Get 16GB USB key - put image of Snow Leopard on it (I used Snowie from torrents, but own SL DVD, too). Plenty info online about restoring dmg to usb

4) Used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 to make SnowUSB bootable.

5) Downloaded and put on the SnowUSB the following files in prep:

• KextHelper7 program
  • osx86tools
  • Mac OSX 10.6.2 combo update
  • NetbookInstaller 0.8.3
  • latest SleepEnabler.kext from Meklort's blog
  • VoodooHDA.kext

6) Wipe the whole Acer harddrive. I used Gparted to well and truly wipe. Disk Utility may miss hidden EFI partition and if you have a bootloader from a previous attempt it can interfere.

7) Update Acer D250 BIOS to 1.25!!! This may require an hour of work itself just to make bootable DOS key, but I just used the instructions here and they worked like magic. Need Windows to make happen, tho. I cannot stress this step enough. Your update to 10.6.2 will fail if you do not update the BIOS. You can, however, have a just-fine stable 10.6.0 system.

8) Boot from SnowUSB. Of course, plug it in, turn on Acer, hit F2 immediately and tell BIOS to boot from THAT USB key, hit F10 to save and reboot. SL installer should start - follow steps as usual. Use the installer's Disk Utility to reformat the drive and put the requisite HFS+ formatted partition in place. -- Note: Pull SnowUSB out during installer's reboot, or else you'll just boot back into the USB key again.

9) Immediately install NetbookInstaller and let it finish. Then mount 10.6.2 combo update image and let it do the update. Again, make sure your SnowUSB is no longer plugged in when the machine reboots during this process, your BIOS will still be looking for USB keys first.

10) Using KextHelper7, install VoodooHDA to get speakers working (I don't have mic working yet) and SleepEnabler to allow sleep (though waking makes my machine reboot anyhow; I can live with that.) Use OSx86tools to Repair Permissions, then reboot. You should have a stable 10.6.2 system.

Many tweaks can be made from here, but at this point, trackpad works, wifi works, camera works; and I need to move on to installing programs so I can send my regular Mac in for repair. Maybe I will play with tweaks (like to get multi-core support back) at a later date.

I can't write a perfect how-to, but I do have a running 10.6.2 on a D250:

screenshot20100112at103.png.

Many tweaks can be made from here, but at this point, trackpad works, wifi works, camera works; and I need to move on to installing programs so I can send my regular Mac in for repair. Maybe I will play with tweaks (like to get multi-core support back) at a later date.

does your built in webcam works with 10.6? i tried runnign it with ym messenger it works.. but with skype it doesnt..also can i have a link to you wallpaper? thnks ;)

hey thanks a lot for the tutorial

i followed it to the letter (Except for doing the bios reflash after i'd already installed 10.6 (which seemed okay)

just did voodoo and sleep and rebooting for the first time into 10.6.2 now..

this was a boatload easier than trying to get an EEEPC 1001H to work (That was a nightmare)

thanks again

i'll keep an eye on this thread for further fixes!

as for ethernet, i'd suggest picking up an apple USB to ethernet adaptor for the macbook airs. it works perfectly!

Do you think there's anyway to make an iso of that bios updater USB, where you could then use Disk Utility on the Mac to restore it to a fat32 formatted USB drive and somehow get around the need to actually have a windows machine to be able to prepare this one piece of the puzzle? If it were possible it would be a nice thing to have up on megaupload or rapidshare.

thanks

does your built in webcam works with 10.6? i tried runnign it with ym messenger it works.. but with skype it doesnt..also can i have a link to you wallpaper? thnks :D

I haven't tried in too many programs. It works in Photobooth, so we know the system sees the camera. Skype is a different animal. On my MacBookPro, I had problems w/ Skype at first and then there was a revision to Skype you could download that would fix the issue with it not seeing the camera. So...it's a Skype problem, not an Hackintosh problem I think.

You can find the background I used and a {censored}load others here: 1024 x 600 wallpapers from EEE peeps (hint: try page 5) :unsure:

as for ethernet, i'd suggest picking up an apple USB to ethernet adaptor for the macbook airs. it works perfectly!

Nah... want to be easily portable, not have dongles sticking out. Besides, where I go, if I can't get on the wireless network, then I can't get on the wired ones either! Lots of free wireless in NYC; most wired networks locked tighter than a drum.

Do you think there's anyway to make an iso of that bios updater USB, where you could then use Disk Utility on the Mac to restore it to a fat32 formatted USB drive and somehow get around the need to actually have a windows machine to be able to prepare this one piece of the puzzle? If it were possible it would be a nice thing to have up on megaupload or rapidshare.

I don't know, really. I think there's many ways to get DOS system onto a USB key. I posted a dmg of my DOS key here: get it fast; only good for 10 downloads Try Restoring the dmg to a USB key... then of course, you still have to make bootable; try osx86tools. The Acer D250 BIOS 1.25 update is in that disk image. if you do manage to restore and make bootable, you just boot from it, you'll have a DOS prompt, and type kav60.bat, which is the batch files that initiates the BIOS flash. This is powerful voodoo so be careful.

By the way, I find that the computer runs as single-core. Probably not a bad idea, but I wonder how to enable the two cores? Also... I tried, then turned off, the two finger scrolling (it IS available!). It just was slow and jerky. I think the trackpad is way too sensitive for two-finger use on such a small space.

I haven't tried in too many programs. It works in Photobooth, so we know the system sees the camera. Skype is a different animal. On my MacBookPro, I had problems w/ Skype at first and then there was a revision to Skype you could download that would fix the issue with it not seeing the camera. So...it's a Skype problem, not an Hackintosh problem I think.

You can find the background I used and a {censored}load others here: 1024 x 600 wallpapers from EEE peeps (hint: try page 5) :(

Nah... want to be easily portable, not have dongles sticking out. Besides, where I go, if I can't get on the wireless network, then I can't get on the wired ones either! Lots of free wireless in NYC; most wired networks locked tighter than a drum.

I don't know, really. I think there's many ways to get DOS system onto a USB key. I posted a dmg of my DOS key here: get it fast; only good for 10 downloads Try Restoring the dmg to a USB key... then of course, you still have to make bootable; try osx86tools. The Acer D250 BIOS 1.25 update is in that disk image. if you do manage to restore and make bootable, you just boot from it, you'll have a DOS prompt, and type kav60.bat, which is the batch files that initiates the BIOS flash. This is powerful voodoo so be careful.

By the way, I find that the computer runs as single-core. Probably not a bad idea, but I wonder how to enable the two cores? Also... I tried, then turned off, the two finger scrolling (it IS available!). It just was slow and jerky. I think the trackpad is way too sensitive for two-finger use on such a small space.

Thanks for the reply after couple failed attempts at finding a way to get a DOS bootable I finally was able to flash my bios with Ubootin. But MY new touble is everything installed and now when I boot it goes through the logo screen and then looks like its gonna load cuz there a blue screen for a couple seconds and then back to gray screen where it just sits its not froze cuz you can move the mouse and the screen will even go black like sleep mode and I can wake it by hitting any key but still no desktop

Well I updated to bios 1.25 and trying to install Snow Leopard again but my new problem is that my netbookmaker .83 will not format my drive after I get past picking the language screen. I choose utilities>then disk utility and it just hangs. I redone the netbook maker usb process and I know its a good usb because I used it on MSI netbook and it gets to that diskutilities app no problem. So I think something in my bios is not right.

if there is any possible way to get the wireless working i will be the happiest chappy in the world ;)

is it really all locked down that tight?

Those dell wireless cards are proving a little difficult to get my hands on, and apparently the chassis of the D250 changed so you can't use a standard card, is that just rumor to try and scare us?

I'd happily put a genuine airport apple card in there if it fits

the netbook works beautifully as a hackintosh, i'm just now trying to figure out how to sync everything up to my main quad core hack so i can have everything i need with me

i too would like a link to your sleepenabler.kext I have 10.6.2 on d250-1165 and when I sleep it. it just reboots itself.