ASUS P7P55D Deluxe running snow leopard, has any one tried it

71 posts in this topic

I have been looking around for a good motherboard for a i5 750, I plan on over clocking it just a little bit and found a awesome motherboard that will allow me to do this with ease. ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, looks like a awesome motherboard is anyone using this main board in snowleopard or leopard?

Also is there a list of approved i5/i7 mainboards that work with snow leopard. If there is not I think that would be a awesome addition to the forum.

If you have any suggestions on other i5 core motherboards that have great compatibility with snow leopard that would be great.

-wadeo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got it working now! used insanelymac's modified /boot, the chocolate-kernel to run 10.6.1 stable on a Asus P7P55D with i7-860 (even overclocked from 2.8 to 3,03GHz). All onboard SATA- and JMicron-Ports are working. Even software-raid0 is possible and yields in speed >300MB/s with five drives :-)

Problems which remain to be solved:

1. Having equipped the board with 4x2GB DDR3 DIMMs it gives KP when not limiting memory with maxmem=4096 or less

2. As soon as I enable onboard audio VIA VT1828S in BIOS -> crashes with KP. Tried with LegacyHDA, HDAenabler and VoodooHDA without success upto now.

3. Same goes for onboard Realtek 8112L LAN-port. My workaround as of now is a PCI-based RTL8169-card - which keeps showing very poor throughput of max. 7 MB/s :-( Tried the RTL10000.kext but -> KP. Anyone got a decent driver for the 8112L?

4. onboard firewire-port shows the well-known "defaulting to full-secure"-message during boot. Didn't work on this one.

5. No way running 64bit-kernel. Only arch=i386 allows booting at all. This surely is related to using the chocolate_kernel but seems strange to me as I read at several places that i5 does need a patched kernel but i7-CPUs don't (the latter making sense because Apple is using them). But hey, who every said that computers are straightfoward? :-)

Will give the 10.6.2 devseed a try tonight... :-)

Also, I have equipped the system successfully with an Areca 1680ix16 SAS/RAID-card. Speeds are promising at least :-)

Any help on the topics above is of course highly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

my bad. i think the system only had the p7p55d, not the deluxe edition. I'd still try the official driver from Realtek though....

Hi!

I only had a friends system build around p7p55d for 2 days at my place and checked out a few things:

I got audio working with the latest voodoohda-0.2.2 beta.

For Lan I used the driver available on the Realtek page. (There are two drivers for certain cards and OSX on the site, I don't remember which one I used). At one time the ethernet didn't come up, everything was fine after a reboot.

I did a quick check with the firewire onboard, a very demanding firewire device (ssl duende mini (dsp-audio)) seemed to work just fine. No long-time test though.

Wondering: did you try the real 10.6.2 update yet, is your configuration running with the vanilla kernel?

got it working now! used insanelymac's modified /boot, the chocolate-kernel to run 10.6.1 stable on a Asus P7P55D with i7-860

Hello!

It's a good news!

Is there a chance to have a little tuto?

Thanx!

edit

I'm trying with myHack, I'm blocking when I reboot for the first time with the chocolate kernel.

I have a problem with a massstorage kext (I cant see witch one...) then power off!

In my BIOS I have set SATA as AHCI that all.

Have hear something else about the BIOS settings?

thx

Heya guys!

I'm having problems with my setup! I get Kernel Panic.

I've downloaded the myHack tool, also replaced the kernel with the chocolate one.

Still no progress.

http://www.naicomusic.com/kernelpanic.jpg

Here's my specs!

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe

Intel i5 750 2,66GHz

Please help!

Hi!

I don't have search of KP... Try in myHack custom install:

- com.Apple...

- GraphicsE...

- Chocolatekernel

- AHCIPortinjector...

- FramebufferD...

- IOAHCIBlock...

- LegacyAppleRTC

- sleepenabler

In my case withe 6gb RAM, I have to boot with

the chocolate_kernel and ram limitation of 4 gb :(

In chameleon I write maxmem=4096

I hope it's help.

At this time I have several problems:

My Nvidia 9400 is not reconised

only 4gb RAM

I post the kext I use for the P7P55D:

network: RealtekR1000.kext

sound: VoodooHDA.kext

Don't use the /Extra method!

video Nvidia 9400: NVEnabler 0.1.kext

P7P55D.zip

NVEnabler_0.1.kext.zip

Salut Yogi,

On my system I put 8 gig of memory. Will it function properly ??

Thanks !

10.6.2.jpg

10.6.2 running with 6gb, CPU recognized as "2.84 GHZ Quard-Core Intel Xenon" with all core running, vanilla kernel

The guide is available on my blog

With the 64 bits kernel you need the 64 bits kext.... I have tested but poor video performance, no audio...

Salut Yogi,

On my system I put 8 gig of memory. Will it function properly ??

Thanks !

Hello,

The P7P55D supports 16GB DDR3 according the ASUS website, and SL can probalbly can probably handle up to 16GB!

I suppose there will be no problem!

Good luck!

Hello,

I really appreciate your guide, dgeeordgy21. I have been following the steps (successfully), up to step 7 (10.6.2 Upgrade).

It says: "Copy all kext from the pack Extra_Extension_10.6_to_10.6.2 combo_ready to Extra/extension and run pfix. - Especially AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext & fakesmc.kext"

What is the Extra_Extension_10.6_to_10.6.2 combo_ready pack?

Thanks

Sam, i have the same problem that keeps me from going to 10.6.2.

Nice tutorial but we seem to miss some essential files dgeeordgy21:-)

Hello,

I really appreciate your guide, dgeeordgy21. I have been following the steps (successfully), up to step 7 (10.6.2 Upgrade).

It says: "Copy all kext from the pack Extra_Extension_10.6_to_10.6.2 combo_ready to Extra/extension and run pfix. - Especially AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext & fakesmc.kext"

What is the Extra_Extension_10.6_to_10.6.2 combo_ready pack?

Thanks

Sam, i have the same problem that keeps me from going to 10.6.2.

Nice tutorial but we seem to miss some essential files dgeeordgy21:-)

sorry for my misunderstanding! it is the file "Extra_Extension_10.6_to_10.6.2 combo_ready" to copy "/ Extra / Extensions /"

If you do not copy fakesmc and NullCPUManagement your system will not restart!

Hi to all on this thread,

I arrange my osx snow leopard image on my usb key, I also installed myhack installer. I'm now stucked on at step 12-13 and 14 from dgeordgy21's guide (by the way Thanks a lot it's really appreciated) .

Could someone explain to me what I exactly have to do at steps 12-13 and 14 since I'm really not used with hackintoshes installs. At least could someone give me a link where to look at in order to understand what I have to do?

Thanks in advance