Kernel Panic on Boot MSI Eclipse SLi Motherboard

Bjorn248

76 posts in this topic

What I am intending on doing is installing Snow Leopard on a partition on my HDD. I have now twice tried to run snow leopard from a USB drive. I followed lifehacker's guide and when I tried to boot, I couldn't because of a kernel panic. Then I tried patching for a X58 Motherboard, and the I still have a kernel panic problem (at AppleACPIPlatform) so I can't boot the OS. I am very new to anything mac, and would greatly appreciate any help/explanation that anyone here has to offer. Here are my basic specs:

CPU: Intel i7 940

Mobo: MSI Eclipse SLi (X58)

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Also, is it possible to install kexts on the USB drive from another machine even though the OS hasn't been installed anywhere? I cannot navigate to the S/L/E directory from OS X, and when I'm on linux, it tells me that the USB drive is read-only and I can't modify it in any way.

Once again, I am completely new to "hackintosh" so any explanations and/or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks =).

If you are new to this I'd very strongly recommend you dedicate an HDD to your first experiments with OSX86.

You'll need to do some searches focused on your hardware, have a look in the Wiki, & do some general background research & reading.

You will of course have seen a few inches from your post a thread dedicated to your graphics card: this would be a good starting-point.

Good luck & have fun.

If you are new to this I'd very strongly recommend you dedicate an HDD to your first experiments with OSX86.

You'll need to do some searches focused on your hardware, have a look in the Wiki, & do some general background research & reading.

You will of course have seen a few inches from your post a thread dedicated to your graphics card: this would be a good starting-point.

Good luck & have fun.

Thanks a lot. Those links certainly are helpful. Do you have an answer to the question about kexts though? Just wondering :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright so the new HDD came in the mail, but the installer could not install SL. It failed to create a "restart disk" or something along those lines. I currently have a working iATKOS v1 on my laptop and the SL install .dmg that I got from my friend. I tried using the x58 mobo patch installer but that has not worked yet. Any help would be apprecaited I've spent a couple weeks trying different things, but nothing seems to have worked.

EDIT: Wow, finally got snow leopard running vanilla kernel with only a few extra kexts to allow it to boot. Currently only booting with -x32 boot flag, but other than that, everything works (sound, ethernet, graphics). I ran system update and upgraded to 10.6.1, still runs perfectly. This forum was a huge help, but unfortunately none of the tutorials here helped me :(. I had to improvise by downloading iPC 10.5.6, using the following boot flags to boot into the installer (cpus=1 busratio=22 -x32 -f -v) I have the i7 940 so my busratio has to be 22 but I'm pretty sure the 920 has to have the busratio set to 20. Then I made two partitions (one small, one large) from the iPC installer, installed iPC to the smaller partition and patched the dsdt for the iPC partition. After that I ran the very useful X58 Mobo Patch Installer (a must in my opinion for anyone with an x58 chipset). However SL still did not boot, so I kept on experimenting with different decryption kexts and finally found the right combination (pretty sure it was that I had to delete all the duplicate kexts from the S/L/E directory and put everything in the Extra/Stored_Kexts directory. After booting into SL for the first time, sound and ethernet both did not work, but the ATY kext included with the X58 patch installer immediately recognized my Radeon HD 4870 and as far as graphics went, it looked amazing. To get sound and ethernet working all I had to do was install two kexts (VoodooHDA and RealtekR1000_1.04 respectively) using kext helper b7 (kext utility did not work). The bootloader I am using is Chameleon 2 RC1 with snow leo support (I attached it...no other bootloader has worked so far for me (I've tried RC3)). Luckily I have two SATA controllers on my motherboard (one Jmicron, one Intel ICH10R) and I'm using the Intel controller for my RAID 0 Volume which I am not willing to sacrifice. I just plugged in another SATA HDD to the Jmicron controller, used the stock Jmicron kexts that came with the X58 Mobo Patch installer, and everything was recognized. As far as the SATA configuration in the BIOS, I just turned the jmicron controller off and it seemed to work fine. This entire process took be a couple weeks to figure out, and through countless kernel panics, hanging boots, and instant restart bugs, it's a really great feeling to see snow leopard running as it should. I am very pleased and just wanted to share a couple notes for those with similar hardware.

Here is my (relevant) hardware: i7 940 CPU, MSI Eclipse SLi Motherboard, 12GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

Thanks to everyone here (especially netkas, pcwiz, etc) without you none of this would be possible :D.

Chameleon_2.0___EFI10.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tkx Bjorn248 you did a good job.

Im also very new on MAC (as yo were a few months ago). I have the same Mobo abd Graphic card, but have some difficulties to follow all the steps of your process. It would be great if you could write a synthetic tutorial which include the SW components that we need.

Tkx Bjorn248 you did a good job.

Im also very new on MAC (as yo were a few months ago). I have the same Mobo abd Graphic card, but have some difficulties to follow all the steps of your process. It would be great if you could write a synthetic tutorial which include the SW components that we need.

Alright I will post a tutorial. Check the tutorial section :D.

EDIT: Kind of a tutorial

Then I made two partitions (one small, one large) from the iPC installer, installed iPC to the smaller partition and patched the dsdt for the iPC partition.

Can you explain what you did there. I think this may be the root of my problem. How do I patch the dsdt?

Use the X58 Mobo Patch installer to patch the DSDT from your iPC installation.

How do i run that patch. Thanks for your help so far. I know you wrote a tutorial but Im having trouble understanding the process you went through.

I currently have the mobo patch installer on a usb. Can I get it done that way or did i have to do something with the ipc iso before i burned it?

What options did you choose when you customized the iPC install?

How do i run that patch. Thanks for your help so far. I know you wrote a tutorial but Im having trouble understanding the process you went through.

I currently have the mobo patch installer on a usb. Can I get it done that way or did i have to do something with the ipc iso before i burned it?

What options did you choose when you customized the iPC install?

You need to have the patch folder on your iPC partition (that's how I did it anyway). I forgot exactly what I chose to install and I deeply apologize for that. This was a while ago, and unfortunately I didn't think it important enough to document. I remember that they were just basic kexts (like openhaltrestart, sleepenabler, the cpus=1 option, and others, but it wasn't that many). Also do not install any drivers from the install menu, basically, all you are looking for out of the iPC install is an operating system from which to install snow leopard, so graphics, sound, and ethernet are not really that important for the iPC install.

Can you install iPC and tell our exacts kexts which iPC need to work, please?

In my opinion this is the biggest problem of the installation.

If you have iPC working...can you post a zip file in which there is the extra folder or the folder which content the kexts of iPC (as you have done with SL)?

PS: Who can be install iPC, write the exact kexts and post the list here to the comunity if the iPC working with this kexts.

Can you install iPC and tell our exacts kexts which iPC need to work, please?

In my opinion this is the biggest problem of the installation.

If you have iPC working...can you post a zip file in which there is the extra folder or the folder which content the kexts of iPC (as you have done with SL)?

PS: Who can be install iPC, write the exact kexts and post the list here to the comunity if the iPC working with this kexts.

No problem.

iPC_Extra_Folder.rar

From iPC does you see what kext you have install in the system(iPC working)?

Or are you able to recognised the kext which are in the OS?

Ps: thanks for the rar file. My idea is past it in the iPC partition in the exact folder with MacDrive from Windows 7...but I think that it will no work.

In iPC are you able to see what kexts are install? (If you can see a list of the kexts, please post it -->mac/ulteriori informazioni/estensioni)

In System/Library/Extensions what do you have? (If you can post this folder)

About the extra folder, after the installation, it was clean, without files,folder and kext as your. When I boot after the installation, the system load kexts were contented by the System/Library/Extensions and it reboot. It didn't load the content of the Extra folder.

PS:sorry for my language :)

You need to have the patch folder on your iPC partition (that's how I did it anyway). I forgot exactly what I chose to install and I deeply apologize for that. This was a while ago, and unfortunately I didn't think it important enough to document. I remember that they were just basic kexts (like openhaltrestart, sleepenabler, the cpus=1 option, and others, but it wasn't that many). Also do not install any drivers from the install menu, basically, all you are looking for out of the iPC install is an operating system from which to install snow leopard, so graphics, sound, and ethernet are not really that important for the iPC install.

Well, Here's my issue. I install iPC (with nothing, right? In other words no need to click on customize, right?)

After I install iPC the machine restarts, I set it to boot the drive where I installed iPC and then enter "-v -f" as the boot flag. It throws up a bunch of lines of text (which is usual from what I've read) and then it just restarts the system.

What am I doing wrong? I had to have successfully booted into the iPC partition in order to place that patch install there, right? Was there something I had to do to the hard drives? I partitioned like you said, but do I need to do a raid (whatever that is) and how do I do that? I have two drives. An SSD 64gb and a 1tb. Do I have to partition the SSD or can I just leave it as is? I don't plan on putting anything else on it. Do I have to have another operating system already installed. I'm doing a fresh install with all new components out of the box. No OS's.

So many questions, sorry for the bother. I wish you lived somewhere near Orlando so I can pay you to come over and help me with this...lol

Well, Here's my issue. I install iPC (with nothing, right? In other words no need to click on customize, right?)

After I install iPC the machine restarts, I set it to boot the drive where I installed iPC and then enter "-v -f" as the boot flag. It throws up a bunch of lines of text (which is usual from what I've read) and then it just restarts the system.

What am I doing wrong? I had to have successfully booted into the iPC partition in order to place that patch install there, right? Was there something I had to do to the hard drives? I partitioned like you said, but do I need to do a raid (whatever that is) and how do I do that? I have two drives. An SSD 64gb and a 1tb. Do I have to partition the SSD or can I just leave it as is? I don't plan on putting anything else on it. Do I have to have another operating system already installed. I'm doing a fresh install with all new components out of the box. No OS's.

So many questions, sorry for the bother. I wish you lived somewhere near Orlando so I can pay you to come over and help me with this...lol

The first thing that I noticed that you are doing wrong is that you DO have to click on customize and choose certain items for the install to work. What you could do at this point is also boot into the iPC installer and only install the extra things that you do need. I posted the Extra folder for my iPC installation so that should tell you what you need to install. As a matter of fact, I live in Gainesville (UF), so I do live kinda close to orlando ;).

The first thing that I noticed that you are doing wrong is that you DO have to click on customize and choose certain items for the install to work. What you could do at this point is also boot into the iPC installer and only install the extra things that you do need. I posted the Extra folder for my iPC installation so that should tell you what you need to install. As a matter of fact, I live in Gainesville (UF), so I do live kinda close to orlando :P.

LOL

What a coincidence. Cool. I've been trying to do this for the past couple of months now.

I'm gonna take a look at that extra folder. There must be something I'm doing wrong. I keep having it restart on me (even when I select options under customize) when I try to boot into the iPC HDD.

Is there anything I need to do with my HDD? I partitioned it as an Extended Journaled drive. I select it as the drive for the install, I click on customize and select what I need and then I install. Anything out of the ordinary there?

PS. Let me know if I can convince you to meet up with me. I'm willing to pay. :(

HI!!!

I have install iAtkos v7 10.5.7 working and now I'm going to fix i7.

It working good but every boot I use the flag "cpus=1 busratio=24".

This is the list of only kexts which I use:

-iAtkos v7 Main System

Bootloader

-Chameleon v2

X86 Patches

-/Extra directory

Decrypters

-Apple Decrypt

Kernel

-9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

ACPI

-APIC driver

-Disabler

-OHR

-Remove TyMCE

Drivers

VGA

nVidia

EFI string Nvidia

-DVI/DVI

-nVidia GT200

System

SATA/IDE

-intel SATA/IDE

-JMicron SATA/IDE

Sound

-Voodoo HDA driver

Languages

-italiano

-Post-Install Actions

All work except for all CPU fisical/logic. (I'm working fron the iAtkos!!!)

ListKextsiAtkosv7MSIEclipseSLI.rtf

HI!!!

I have install iAtkos v7 10.5.7 working and now I'm going to fix i7.

It working good but every boot I use the flag "cpus=1 busratio=24".

This is the list of only kexts which I use:

-iAtkos v7 Main System

Bootloader

-Chameleon v2

X86 Patches

-/Extra directory

Decrypters

-Apple Decrypt

Kernel

-9.7.0 Kernel voodoo

ACPI

-APIC driver

-Disabler

-OHR

-Remove TyMCE

Drivers

VGA

nVidia

EFI string Nvidia

-DVI/DVI

-nVidia GT200

System

SATA/IDE

-intel SATA/IDE

-JMicron SATA/IDE

Sound

-Voodoo HDA driver

Languages

-italiano

-Post-Install Actions

All work except for all CPU fisical/logic. (I'm working fron the iAtkos!!!)

Thank you sir. I'm gonna give that a try also.

Thank you for taking the time to list all of your kexts. Cross your fingers for me.

This has become the MSI Eclipse thread...lol

my graphics card is an nvidia 9800 GTX 1GB GDDR3 is there something different I have to use for it?

Here is my list of components. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

MSI Eclipse SLI

Core i7 920

Corsair 1333mhz 6gb (triple channel)

nVidia 9800 GTX 1gb GDDR3

G Skill 64gb SSD (will be used solely for Mac OS X)

WD 1TB (Will be used for data)

my graphics card is an nvidia 9800 GTX 1GB GDDR3 is there something different I have to use for it?

Here is my list of components. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

MSI Eclipse SLI

Core i7 920

Corsair 1333mhz 6gb (triple channel)

nVidia 9800 GTX 1gb GDDR3

G Skill 64gb SSD (will be used solely for Mac OS X)

WD 1TB (Will be used for data)

Alright. I've finally got Leopard installed!! Woohooo!!

Now let's see if anyone can help me solve the following:

• No Audio drive detected.
  • Number of Processors is only 1. Total number of cores is 1.
  • The speed of my Memory is only at 667 MHz. It should be at 1333. (I can also overclock to 1600. If I do, will it detect it? how?)
  • I have not been able to partition drives in Disk Utility.
  • I still have to use "cpus=1 busratio=20" everytime I boot up.
  • Also, can I go ahead and upgrade to snow leopard with my retail disc? Anything else I should do before that?

Alright. I've finally got Leopard installed!! Woohooo!!

Now let's see if anyone can help me solve the following:

• No Audio drive detected.
  • Number of Processors is only 1. Total number of cores is 1.
  • The speed of my Memory is only at 667 MHz. It should be at 1333. (I can also overclock to 1600. If I do, will it detect it? how?)
  • I have not been able to partition drives in Disk Utility.
  • I still have to use "cpus=1 busratio=20" everytime I boot up.
  • Also, can I go ahead and upgrade to snow leopard with my retail disc? Anything else I should do before that?

That's exactly what happened to me. Basically, this leopard installation only serves one purpose, to install snow leopard. Just run the x58 mobo patch installer with the retail dvd in your dvd drive, and you should be good to go :D. Make sure to reinstall the kexts from the patch installer after the OS installation portion is over.