nohwid (popcap games error)

Ma7amed

5 posts in this topic

When I try to open "zuma" game in Mac osx, I get this error

Please contact customer service. (nohwid)

Anyone know how to fix that

Mac os x 10.5.6 (IPC)

I had this problem, check that /Library/Application Support/PopCap/<whatever>.plist has hardwareID set to your

working ethernet mac address (without the : ) and reboot

regards

Steve

I had this problem, check that /Library/Application Support/PopCap/<whatever>.plist has hardwareID set to your

working ethernet mac address (without the : ) and reboot

regards

Steve

Thanks so much

but there is no PopCap folder in this location

Thanks so much

but there is no PopCap folder in this location

That may be your problem then! When I installed mine with the serial number that dir was

created. I came across this when migrating from Leopard to SL on a new hard disk.

I don't have Leopard any more but the file must be somewhere on your system?

• 6 months later...
When I try to open "zuma" game in Mac osx, I get this error

Please contact customer service. (nohwid)

Anyone know how to fix that

Mac os x 10.5.6 (IPC)

Well, this is an old post, maybe noone will ever look here again... but this issue has had me wondering. I'm on Snow Leopard, and made a retail install following an excellent guide by Blackosx specific for his board, which is very similar to mine and worked flawlessly. The thing is, due to it working so flawlessly, I was confident that all major DSDT edits were in place, among them, the most common culprit of some programs not working as they should: the ethernet built-in issue. So I was really surprised to find that, while TimeMachine was working, Popcap's Zuma's Revenge wasn't. A look in IORegistryExplorer confirmed that my ethernet card was not recognized as builtin. I set the Chameleon bootflag "Ethernetbuiltin" to yes via com.apple.boot.plist, to no avail. I changed my BIOS, my DSDT, etc... nothing.

The final finding was that, as I was using an EFIString for my video card, apparently the Chameleon boot option for the ethernet did not work, so I used the formerly common fix of another EFIstring for the ethernet fix... and voilà: IT WORKS!

As this is a rather old fix, which has been superseded by better methods, here's just a short recap of how I did it: I used OSX86Tools to create the EFIstring for my ethernet, and saved it as a hexfile. I cut and pasted my video string from my com.apple.boot.plist and saved it as a plain text file with extension .hex from textedit. Then I used OSX86Tools to merge the two strings. I then replaced my device properties string from com.a.b.p with the output from OSX86Tools and rebooted: result was both video working and ethernet built in.

Another method is to use the graphics enabler and ethernetbuiltin boot options from Chameleon, and NOT use any device-properties strings in c.a.b.p. For me it was a matter of preference using strings for my video card, as it shows the proper name in About this Mac, which is why I also had to use the ethernet string.

Hope this helps someone!