(Solved) Sleep after idle problem

Master Chief

15 posts in this topic

I had this sleep after an idle period problem on Leopard since 10.5.6 (I think) and it continues to bug me with Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

Thing is; My hack will only sleep with a DVD in the drive (see last note) and thus if sleep works for you, without a DVD in the drive, then please attach a dump of IORegistryExplorer or at least tell me the installed DVD drive Brand/Type/Interface.

A few notes:

1) Sleep works from the Apple menu/keyboard so that is not really the problem.

2) SleepEnabler.kext doesn't help.

3) The DVD drive LED goes on every 40 seconds without a DVD in it.

I even tried three different TSSTcorp drives (currently using a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L with SB01 SB02 firmware) without any change. It might be my Asus motherboard (ICH9R) but I personally think that this is related to the drive brand/type.

Thank you for helping a few sleepless buggers!

Edit: Samsung HQ is apparently willing to look into this problem. That is when enough people complain about this sleep issue. Please be so kind to visit this contact page and let them know that you want this sleep issue fixed. Thank you!

Sleep after X time work fine on my Hack

using these kext's:fakesmc/openhaltrestart/legacyhda

Thanks. I'll look into it right away. And so I did, without luck of course.

Edit: I did add some text/info and I will update the firmware to see if that help. Other than that, still no idea what it is.

Hi, I had a wierd problem on my hack too, when I used a Pioneer Drive, but since I use an LG drive there is no problem with it. the problem could be with the connection type, if u are in AHCI mode, then be sure to use SATA!!!

And one more thing, try to turn off the put the HD to sleep option in the energy saver preferences.

Hi, I had a wierd problem on my hack too, when I used a Pioneer Drive, but since I use an LG drive there is no problem with it. the problem could be with the connection type, if u are in AHCI mode, then be sure to use SATA!!!

Interesting. So what drive model are you using and is this with a ICH10 motherboard?

BTW: I am using a SATA (AHCI) player, which I will add in my first post. Thanks for the reminder!

And one more thing, try to turn off the put the HD to sleep option in the energy saver preferences.

No hope. No joy (already done that). Thanks.

Edit: I can even do unmount /dev/[targetDisk] with a DVD is inserted – sleep still functional but slow as ever before (up to 3 minutes).

• 3 weeks later...

hello MasterChief from this thread also :(

same problem, i didnt had the time to look at, but i came across this thread so i'll keep an eye on it.

Sleep Works fine (if i press button) + wake up from mouse

Sleep (sheduled) doesnt work

DVD Drive Samsung SH203Black SATA:

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B:

Firmware Revision:	SB00
 Interconnect:	ATAPI
 Burn Support:	Yes (Generic Drive Support)
 Profile Path:	None
 Cache:	2048 KB
 Reads DVD:	Yes
 CD-Write:	-R, -RW
 DVD-Write:	-R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
 Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
 Media:	To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Hola Jefe

I don't have problems with sleep in any way. Going into sleep via button, apple menu or programed as well the wake up via keyboard mouse or power button" works very fast.

But my dvd makes strange look ups sometimes like checking if a dvd is inserted when its empty. System console don't show anything and i am sure this in windows doesn't happen.

here are my in sata ahci mode connected dvd player info from system profiler

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H66N:

Revisión del firmware:	CB00
 Interconexión:	ATAPI
 Soporte de grabación:	Sí (compatibilidad con unidades genéricas)
 Ruta del perfil:	Ninguno
 Caché:	2048 KB
 Leer DVD:	Sí
 Grabar CD:	-R, -RW
 Grabar DVD:	-R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
 Estrategias de escritura:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
 Soporte:	Para mostrar las velocidades de grabación disponibles, introduzca un disco y seleccione Visualización > Actualizar.

salu2

We're talking auto sleep here, right?

And your system sleeps when you insert a CD/DVD and/or when you remove the drive from the SATA ports?

Right, we're talking about auto sleep.

It sleeps if I select from menu or push the power button, but inserting a DVD doesn't help. Maybe my problem is other.

Right, we're talking about auto sleep.

It sleeps if I select from menu or push the power button, but inserting a DVD doesn't help. Maybe my problem is other.

And when you disconnect the drive from the motherboard? If that doesn't make auto sleep work, then I'm afraid that your problem is unrelated to the DVD drive.

And when you disconnect the drive from the motherboard? If that doesn't make auto sleep work, then I'm afraid that your problem is unrelated to the DVD drive.

You're right, it's not related to the DVD drive. I tried your DSDT patch but it didn't change anything.

I'll keep using the RIP script for now. Thanks anyway.

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here with GA-EX58-UD5 and LG GGW-H20L. I have to insert a CD/DVD in the drive to make automatic sleep working. How can I patch the DSDT on my motherboard? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Hola Jefe

I don't have problems with sleep in any way. Going into sleep via button, apple menu or programed as well the wake up via keyboard mouse or power button" works very fast.

But my dvd makes strange look ups sometimes like checking if a dvd is inserted when its empty. System console don't show anything and i am sure this in windows doesn't happen.

salu2

Hi, I also had this kind of problem with an LG GH22NS30.

My DVD got into some kind of sleep and did not wake again, umount got stuck so did mdworker and finally the whole system.

I tried some firmware updates up to the latest, but nothing really helped.

I then put my SATA DVD-RW on an USB to SATA converter -> everything worked fine.

I had now the chance to try another DVD-RW from Sony, an Optiarc. Plugged it directly to SATA and it works flawless now.

It seems to be a problem with specific drives.

cheers