GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Anybody have any luck installing the 10.6.8 Supplemental update and still have their onboard sound work? One workaround I have is to use a USB DAC device. I'm not in any rush to get to Lion.

The supplemental does the same thing as 10.6.8 itself, it replaces the AppleHDA.kext. You simply need to revert to the 10.6.7 version of the kext or patch the new one.

So far, from what I've read, these are the issues LifeHacker users have been encountering with upgrading to Lion:

1) Sound goes missing, so AppleHDA kext needs to be reverted or patched.

2) Bios settings get lost, so AppleRTC kext needs to be reverted or patched.

3) The OS no longer uses Externtions.mkext, so if you want to avoid several screens of kext loading at boot, all extension need to be placed in S/L/E and UseKernelCaches=yes needs to be set in the chamelon plist. (I tried a different method that let me keep kexts in my E/E by placing an rc.local file in the /etc folder that directs the system to load kexts from E/E, but then I was unable to boot properly - so I abandoned the attempt - I may try again later though).

The AppleHDA.kext that comes with 10.6.8 supplemental works much better than the one from 10.7 too (Once patched).

I may have missed it but how do you patch it? I've replaced it twice with the file from 10.6.7, once for the main 10.6.8 update and then again for the 10.6.8 Supplemental Files Update.

Thanks

I may have missed it but how do you patch it? I've replaced it twice with the file from 10.6.7, once for the main 10.6.8 update and then again for the 10.6.8 Supplemental Files Update.

Thanks

I also pasted the working AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.8 on the supplemental patched one in S/L/E, ran KextUtility and still no sound. So that makes 2 of us who would like to know how to patch it.

I also pasted the working AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.8 on the supplemental patched one in S/L/E, ran KextUtility and still no sound. So that makes 2 of us who would like to know how to patch it.

Thirded. I must have re-cloned by test system about five or six times today trying to get the Lion installer or the 10.6.8. supplement to work.

Just like falling off a log. Looks like I'm stuck at 10.6.8. Will 10.6.9 be the same and contain the same new HDA.kext?

Strike that last comment. I've got a working 10.6.8 Supplemental with sound! I had no sound out when I first tested it after pasting over the AppleHDA.kext. So I went back to my working 10.6.8 drive. I decided to give it one more shot and booted off of the 10.6.6 Supp. updated drive and when I looked at the sound preference the internal built in speaker was there and I have sound off the MB. So rebooting must have done the trick. If you're not getting sound after replacing the AppleHDA.kext try rebooting.

HAVEC, you are welcome to try the files I use. The only thing is you use Cartri BIOS which I have never done so don't know what it makes redundant.

Thank you for the offer and for your help. Terminal commands in Linux are above my level of computer proficiency. Although, I am thinking about adding a Linux drive to my system.

I repeated the 10.6.8 Sup. update on my main system drive with the same result: Replacing the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E with one from 10.6.7 will not restore sound even on reboot. Running KextUtility v2.3.1 by itself will not restore the sound until after rebooting the system.

Thank you for the offer and for your help. Terminal commands in Linux are above my level of computer proficiency. Although, I am thinking about adding a Linux drive to my system.

I repeated the 10.6.8 Sup. update on my main system drive with the same result: Replacing the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E with one from 10.6.7 will not restore sound even on reboot. Running KextUtility v2.3.1 by itself will not restore the sound until after rebooting the system.

Havec, I'm not sure what is happening on your system but I have an identical Cartri setup and Mobo. Check your Get Info on your AppleHDA.kext, mine is Version 1.9.9f12 dated Saturday, August 1, 2009 12:55 AM and the sound works properly. Also, my Extra/Extensions folder has the necessary file, LegacyHDA.kext, dated Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:50 PM with no version information.

I did not use the program, "kext helper b7" to drop the AppleHDA.kext back in because I use a Time Capsule Backup so I just went back before the main 10.6.8 update and told Time Machine to restore just that file and it did the rest, but I did have to reboot to see the results.

Same above routine for the 10.6.8 Supplemental Files Update.

Havec, I'm not sure what is happening on your system but I have an identical Cartri setup and Mobo. Check your Get Info on your AppleHDA.kext, mine is Version 1.9.9f12 dated Saturday, August 1, 2009 12:55 AM and the sound works properly. Also, my Extra/Extensions folder has the necessary file, LegacyHDA.kext, dated Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:50 PM with no version information.

I did not use the program, "kext helper b7" to drop the AppleHDA.kext back in because I use a Time Capsule Backup so I just went back before the main 10.6.8 update and told Time Machine to restore just that file and it did the rest, but I did have to reboot to see the results.

Same above routine for the 10.6.8 Supplemental Files Update.

I'm not sure either but we both have sound and that's a good thing. The fix on going from 10.6.7->10.6.8 didn't require a reboot like the sup did.

I'm not sure either but we both have sound and that's a good thing. The fix on going from 10.6.7->10.6.8 didn't require a reboot like the sup did.
Are you going to attempt the upgrade to Lion? I'd like to but I've been spoiled by the Cartri Mac-BIOS.

No problems on any upgrades until 10.6.8, and that was an easy sound fix. Extra kexts in /Extra/Extensions that were not affected by Snow Leopard upgrades and no DSDT.aml file to deal with, just a smooth running system.

I like what I see in Lion so I guess I'm waiting to see if a customized Lion friendly version of Chameleon can be achieved. Customized I mean in a way that works with the features of the Cartri BIOS.

Also, my GeForce 9800GTX+ required no extra kexts and I chose the TrendNet PCI ethernet card instead of the Gigabyte on-board ports because it was native to Snow Leopard.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough if that was stuff added to the Cartri customized Chameleon or in the Cartri BIOS or a combination of both.

I'm in a wait a see until I acquire an extra hard drive to begin experimenting. I have two now, one that I duplicate in a standalone duplicator every few weeks to back up my Time Capsule backups.

Are you going to attempt the upgrade to Lion? I'd like to but I've been spoiled by the Cartri Mac-BIOS.

No problems on any upgrades until 10.6.8, and that was an easy sound fix. Extra kexts in /Extra/Extensions that were not affected by Snow Leopard upgrades and no DSDT.aml file to deal with, just a smooth running system.

I like what I see in Lion so I guess I'm waiting to see if a customized Lion friendly version of Chameleon can be achieved. Customized I mean in a way that works with the features of the Cartri BIOS.

Also, my GeForce 9800GTX+ required no extra kexts and I chose the TrendNet PCI ethernet card instead of the Gigabyte on-board ports because it was native to Snow Leopard.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough if that was stuff added to the Cartri customized Chameleon or in the Cartri BIOS or a combination of both.

I'm in a wait a see until I acquire an extra hard drive to begin experimenting. I have two now, one that I duplicate in a standalone duplicator every few weeks to back up my Time Capsule backups.

I said earlier that I was not in a hurry to upgrade to Lion. Hopefully, somebody with a lot more computer skills than I have, will write a step by step primer on how get Lion going on our rather old GA-EP45-UD3P socket 775 systems.

I saved a pre-Cartri drive so I could go back if I had to but Cartri has been running fine for a year now so I might burn that bridge at some point. I have 4 drives dedicated to this project, one in my system and 3 others for playing with and backups. I gave up with time capsule. I just make sure that I have a previous and or current rev backed up using CarbonCopyCloner.

I really like the Chameleon boot loader that came with Cartri. I can choose between 3 different OS's in my box and an unlimited number if I boot off of a USB HDD dock.

With a little luck and help from people on this forum we'll keep our systems running and upgraded for a couple more years.

I can try and write something on how to do a fresh Lion install (Our "old" hardware runs it beautifully!), I am no expert at this but it's really just cut and paste using parts of other peoples methods. The only issue I can see is I don't use Cartri and you have an additional network card.

If you do intend to give it a go without the custom BIOS I would suggest you pop over to MaLd0ns DSDT Tool thread and make yourself one (This can easily be done from Windows).

I can try and write something on how to do a fresh Lion install (Our "old" hardware runs it beautifully!), I am no expert at this but it's really just cut and paste using parts of other peoples methods. The only issue I can see is I don't use Cartri and you have an additional network card.

If you do intend to give it a go without the custom BIOS I would suggest you pop over to MaLd0ns DSDT Tool thread and make yourself one (This can easily be done from Windows).

D-an-W

I would really appreciate it if you could. As I thought yourself, Havec and Rocketlynx were gurus but if you guys are having trouble with this there is very little hope for the rest of us.

Also I was thinking it maybe time to ditch the cartri bios and revert to a stock gigabyte bios as cartri is not supported and throws another variable into the mix.

Any thoughts?

Damian

A guide to upgrade to Lion would be really helpful.

I am running the original lifehacker build with the gigabyte bios. I was able to upgrade to 10.6.8 but I cannot get my wireless card working - an old DLink - and System Preferences seem to be really unresponsive. I reverted back to 10.6.7 until I can sort out these issues or until I get a different wireless card that is supported. Sound was easily fixed by copying the 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext file.

When repairing permissions is there any difference between using Ktext utility vs. Disk Utility ? I think there might be. Earlier, when going to the 10.6.8 Supplemental Update, I was unable to reactivate my sound using the older AppleHDA.ktext when repairing permissions via Disk Utility, but when I did the same thing (from a clean clone of 10.6.8) and ran Ktext Utility, it worked fine.

Anyone else run into this?

A guide to upgrade to Lion would be really helpful.

I am running the original lifehacker build with the gigabyte bios. I was able to upgrade to 10.6.8 but I cannot get my wireless card working - an old DLink - and System Preferences seem to be really unresponsive. I reverted back to 10.6.7 until I can sort out these issues or until I get a different wireless card that is supported. Sound was easily fixed by copying the 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext file.

In 10.6.8 try replacing the System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle with the one from 10.6.7. Simply copy - no installer needed.

That restored wireless for me. (TPLink TL-WN951N card with Atherosfix.kext - works like Airport card).

*** Please BUY Lion, it is more than worth the £20.99 (UK) price tag. ***

Bare in mind this is a "Work in progress" guide and I will try and help with parts of it I undoubtably miss out or make unclear!

To use this method you will need an 8GB USB stick.

I don't have any additional network cards installed so I don't know if this will work for those that have.

The rest of my hardware is in my signature below and I also use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Trackpad along with a LMP Bluetooth Keypad which all great both before and after sleep of any kind.

I have also incorporated Apple Bluetooth and Infra Red modules for true compatibility.

To create a memory stick for installation of Lion I followed the excellent guide by blackosx, I strongly recommend you download and read the pdf's he created a couple of times to familiarise yourself with the processes involved (Obviously for the EP45-UD3P you don't use all of the files blackosx has included, I will attach those here).

For the creation of the Lion Installation partition I followed MaLd0n's great work up until the point where he says to "Run the Installers" as for our hardware all that is needed is to copy the mach_kernel file to the root of the partition.

*** DSDT.aml ***

I strongly recommend you use the tool by MaLd0n and generate a DSDT.aml unique to your machine that will be used on the USB installation stick and the 1GB Chameleon boot partition (My file is included but may not work at all or give full functionality).

1: I am using the F11d BIOS (rev1.0 / 1.1) which as fas as I know was the last produced for this board, the rev1.6 board uses a different BIOS but as long as it is configured correctly I can't see why it wouldn't work.

It is important to have AHCI and HPET enabled (Set to 64-bit mode).

I use one onboard Ethernet controller, USB and Firewire. Everything else is disabled.

If anyone needs some pictures of the BIOS screens I can attach them later.

2: You need to correctly format your memory stick, it needs to have a 1GB partition for Chameleon and the rest formatted for the Lion installer, I also have the main installation HD formatted in the same way as it makes upgrading and testing new kexts extremely easy.

If you are unsure how to correctly do this, follow "Part 1 - Preparation" of the blackosx guide.

3: Once the USB stick is prepared "Part 2 - Install Snow Leopard - Section 3" tells you how to correctly copy Chameleon to your 1GB partition (It's the same method for the HD too once Lion is installed).

4: It is now time to create the Lion installation partition using MaLd0n's guide. Start at the "Procedure" section and finish where it says "Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously".

Once you have followed those steps, all that is needed for this method is to copy the file "mach_kernel" to the root of the Lion partition.

5: When (If it all went to plan!) Chameleon boots, choose the USB stick in the menu, boot into the Lion Installer. After you choose the language, open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and prepare the HD in the same was as the USB stick, a 1GB Chameleon partition and the rest for Lion (Unless you want anything more fancy like dual or triple boot!).

6: When the installation completes, boot from the USB stick again (F12 on boot) as the HD is not yet bootable but this time select the Lion partition. Once booted you won't have sound and a file needs patching to prevent the CMOS from re-setting after sleep but this is all pretty straightforward stuff.

7: At this point, use the same method as in step 3 (From blackosx) to make the main HD bootable (Obviously the disk ID and partition will be different to the one you used in step 3).

8: To fix the audio and CMOS reset I used the files and methods from here…

Audio (889a): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 (First post, ALC885/889a).

CMOS reset: Run this command from terminal after making a backup of the file S/L/E/AppleRTC.kext…

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

The attached files are compressed in the folders they need to be copied in to try and make it easier to follow, the files are also already patched so if you don't want to try it yourself just copy them over (After making backups!) and run Kext Utility.

The AppleHDA.kext is taken from 10.6.8 v1.1 as it fixes the audio startup delay that is present in both the original 10.6.8 and Lion.

10.7_Files.zip

USB_Stick.zip

Bare in mind this is a "Work in progress" guide and I will try and help with parts of it I undoubtably miss out or make unclear!

I don't have any additional network cards installed so I don't know if this will work for those that have.

The rest of my hardware is in my signature below and I also use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Trackpad along with a LMP Bluetooth Keypad which all great both before and after sleep of any kind.

I have also incorporated Apple Bluetooth and Infra Red modules for true compatibility.

To create a memory stick for installation of Lion I followed the excellent guide by blackosx, I strongly recommend you download and read the pdf's he created a couple of times to familiarise yourself with the processes involved (Obviously for the EP45-UD3P you don't use all of the files blackosx has included, I will attach those here).

For the creation of the Lion Installation partition I followed MaLd0n's great work up until the point where he says to "Run the Installers" as for our hardware all that is needed is to copy the mach_kernel file to the root of the partition.

*** DSDT.aml ***

I strongly recommend you use the tool by MaLd0n and generate a DSDT.aml unique to your machine that will be used on the USB installation stick and the 1GB Chameleon boot partition (My file is included but may not work at all or give full functionality).

1: I am using the F11d BIOS (rev1.0 / 1.1) which as fas as I know was the last produced for this board, the rev1.6 board uses a different BIOS but as long as it is configured correctly I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I use one onboard Ethernet controller, USB and Firewire. Everything else is disabled.

2: You need to correctly format your memory stick, it needs to have a 1GB partition for Chameleon and the rest formatted for the Lion installer, I also have the main installation HD formatted in the same way as it makes upgrading and testing new kexts extremely easy.

If you are unsure how to correctly do this, follow "Part 1 - Preparation" of the blackosx guide.

3: Once the USB stick is prepared "Part 2 - Install Snow Leopard - Section 3" tells you how to correctly copy Chameleon to your 1GB partition (It's the same method for the HD too once Lion is installed).

4: It is now time to create the Lion installation partition using MaLd0n's guide. Start at the "Procedure" section and finish where it says "Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously".

Once you have followed those steps, all that is needed for this method is to copy the file "mach_kernel" to the root of the Lion partition.

5: When (If it all went to plan!) Chameleon boots, choose the USB stick in the menu, boot into the Lion Installer. After you choose the language, open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and prepare the HD in the same was as the USB stick, a 1GB Chameleon partition and the rest for Lion (Unless you want anything more fancy like dual or triple boot!).

6: When the installation completes, boot from the USB stick again (F12 on boot) as the HD is not yet bootable but this time select the Lion partition. Once booted you won't have sound and a file needs patching to prevent the CMOS from re-setting after sleep but this is all pretty straightforward stuff.

7: At this point, use the same method as in step 3 (From blackosx) to make the main HD bootable (Obviously the disk ID and partition will be different to the one you used in step 3).

Audio (889a): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 (First post, ALC885/889a).

CMOS reset: Run this command from terminal after making a backup of the file S/L/E/AppleRTC.kext…

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

The attached files are compressed in the folders they need to be copied in to try and make it easier to follow, the files are also already patched so if you don't want to try it yourself just copy them over (After making backups!) and run Kext Utility.

The AppleHDA.kext is taken from 10.6.8 v1.1 as it fixes the audio startup delay that is present in both the original 10.6.8 and Lion.

D-an-W

Thank you for this. Very much appreciated!!

Will study it over the weekend.

I think I will revert back to the stock bios.

In 10.6.8 try replacing the System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle with the one from 10.6.7. Simply copy - no installer needed.

That restored wireless for me. (TPLink TL-WN951N card with Atherosfix.kext - works like Airport card).

Hey thanks! That worked perfectly for fixing my wireless!

For anyone trying my files above, I am currently testing having all additional kexts in S/L/E instead of E/E to speed up boot time (Especially -v boot). Lion no longer uses mkext (Cache) files so this new feature was added to Chameleon.

For this to work you also have to add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist...

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

*** DSDT.aml ***

Does this only work with a clean install? Is there any way to do an upgrade so I don't have to reinstall all my applications?