Modified AHCIPortInjector.kext - No More Orange HDs!

poofyhairguy

8 posts in this topic

Here is a modified version of the AHCIPortInjector.kext I am currently using in Snow Leopard (64 bit) that takes away the orange icons without the need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Its better than IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in my opinion because it doesn't leave your Sata Drives as unidentified in System Preferences, which I have read on the forum (for people who have used it or similar dsdt hacking) may improve system performance.

Credits to the original authors of AHCIPortInjector.kext, and Master Chief for giving me the idea.

AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip

Thanks! It calls my ICH7 an ESB2, but icons are fine.

Yeah, that basically is the trick. When the drives are called ESB2, the the orange icons go away.

Just wanted to point out that I got this working on my Leopard install. But I cannot get it to work for ICH10 mobos- sorry all you P45 people, you will have to fix using dsdt.

But I can confirm that it works for ICH7,8,9 on SL and regular Leopard!

Great work -- not only did it restore the grey drive icons, but it enabled my BadAxe2 to recognize the drives as "hard drives" instead of "removable drives" under Snow Leopard.

Thank you!

Yeah, that basically is the trick. When the drives are called ESB2, the the orange icons go away.

Just wanted to point out that I got this working on my Leopard install. But I cannot get it to work for ICH10 mobos- sorry all you P45 people, you will have to fix using dsdt.

But I can confirm that it works for ICH7,8,9 on SL and regular Leopard!

• 3 months later...
Here is a modified version of the AHCIPortInjector.kext I am currently using in Snow Leopard (64 bit) that takes away the orange icons without the need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Its better than IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in my opinion because it doesn't leave your Sata Drives as unidentified in System Preferences, which I have read on the forum (for people who have used it or similar dsdt hacking) may improve system performance.

Credits to the original authors of AHCIPortInjector.kext, and Master Chief for giving me the idea.

Dear poofyhairguy, thank you for your updated kext, I have a question. If I use the file like that (without any DSDT modification in the SATA device) I can't boot anymore, the computer (with -v) stops to wait for some device which I assume is my SATA device!

I checked your Info.plist inside, and for my machine (Shuttle XPC with ICH7) you have the wrong device-ID. Then, I modified the entry and replaced <string>0x27c18086</string> with my board's 27c0 as <string>0x27c08086</string> but then, I didn't notice anything different; to be honest, I never had a problem with orange icons to start with, only with blank/unidentified SATA controller in System Preferences (just the arrow pointing to internal drives, no label/name for the controller). I did boot with -f to refresh the drivers of SL.

So am I missing something, here? Am I supposed to add something to my DSDT too? Many thanks.

• 8 months later...