ATI Radeon HD 2600 on Snow Leopard

errandwolfe

46 posts in this topic

While I have seen a lot of talk about getting the 3000 and 4000 series running under Snow Leopard, other then one note on Netkas' blog about them, I have seen almost zero information about getting any 2000 series working with QE/CI on Snow Leopard. Has anyone been able to get these cards to function with QE/CI (and maybe even dual screen)? If you did how were you able to do it?

Please, please, PLEASE....I do not need to know how you got your 1000,3000, or 4000 series working and I don't care if your 2000 isn't working either... Please only post here if you have any information on HOW to get the 2000 series working.

Thank you very much for supporting Netkas! :(

But still waiting for support QE/CI, as many applications without him can not be used.

I hope that someone will soon find a way to solve this problem, if possible.

Bump :) for fully working driver for ATI 2600XT on SL, please...

• 2 weeks later...

To post a direct answer to your question: There is no good solution. You should have read that you will be able to boot into a default video mode that is usable, however you won't get OpenCL (what used to be QI/CE accelleration supported) and therefore won't get QT or any other video enhancements to work. In my opinion, that renders everything pretty much unusable.

The issue is how the OS handles Pixelshading. Evidently Apple has not chosen to re-write the drivers to support the 2600 seres even though the Card's firmware is capable of handling them in the same fashion. Since Netkas has done work to support 90% of what's out there (ATI-wise) worrying about that last 10% isn't high on the priority list (nor should it be with the wonderful stuff he's spitting out at the rate he's doing it.)

Netkas probably won't spend a whole lot of time trying to get the 26xx stuff dialed in. for SL. He's probably figuring Apple/AMD will get around to it as the 2600 line was an official Apple product; I don't know for sure.

In any case, it may be a while. Its probably time to drop some coin on a replacement card anyway. If you're going to have a Hackint0sh for a while, most Hacks have GeForce chipsets. I'm a die Hard ATi guy (with a 2600) so I'll wait it out with 10.5.8 or drop the coin on a 4870 or something with more HP.

PAX.

S_L

Hi there!

This is my first post.

I was looking for information about why my iMac is not working properly under Snow Leopard and I found this thread. The thing is that I upgraded last week and I realised that my Finder is doind weird things.

Look at this image:

screencapturecz.png

You can see that icons appear like pixelated, pointed... I've already checked the RAM and installed the OS from zero and it didn't solve anything... In the image you can see that Xee is not working either but I'm sure the problem is something with the graphic card. In Leopard everything works fine and running on Windows I don't have any graphic problem...

I have the same graphic card you are talking about, Ati HD2600. My iMac is from 2007.

The thing is that I'm not sure what OpenCL is (I guess it is something like OpenGL and DirectX) but I thing this wouldn't have to make this weird things in Finder...

Do you know what can be the problem?

Thank you very much.

Well I haven't given up, but not being a programmer there is not much else I can do. Unless Netkas or some other dev decides to invest time into getting it working, I really don't think there is much else to do. I guess until I can afford a new video card I will just be happy with my 10.5.8 install....It's still better then Windows.

i've read http://netkas.org/?p=182

and i understand that 2600XT doesn't support OpenCL currently

and OpenCL is the successor of QuartzExtreme, which makes osx faster

http://translate.google.de/translate?prev=...history_state0=

but why does the older card X1950 work? is it because they are supported by efistrings, which the 2600xt doesn't?

in the first screenshot of this thread, the author gets a 2600xt to work

also the imacs with 2600xt seem to be working somehow, atleast the speedup seems to work

do they have a special vendorid. can this be patched?

how to get the fast speed of qe? is it really necessary to have full OpenCL support?

10.6.2 won't help (i've asked netkas) http://netkas.org/?p=240

can the vendor id be flashed (like here)? I've read that sending VideoROM via Chameleon doesn't work

there's a new PC EFI from netkas which supports ATI rom files and GraphicsEnabler for Radeon 2/3

Quotes:

It works great to me. My video card is gigabyte hd2600. Also use option "-useatirom" with rom file released by Apple update.
Just tested chaemelon rc3 + EFI boot 10.4 + “-useatirom†+ ati_9588_1002.rom(released by Apple)

10.4 => Okay

10.5 => Okay

10.6 => black but LCD is not in sleep mode (Originally displaed snow spots with ATI injector>_<)

Where did they get that ROM-File? I think you can extract it of this file, but is the file RV630Lamna_027_252.IMG renamed to ati_9588_1002.rom correct? The file is 128kb, normal bios is 64kb (but this seems to be apple specific)

i tried that, but snow leopard won't boot to graphics mode, stays in textmode. Removed the aty_init.kext, but i kept all the ATI*.kexts

edit: added -pci0, got same results as poster ("black but LCD is not in sleep mode"). okay, let's wait.

1) 10.4 doesnt make 2600xt to work in snow leopard - its another problem, cant figure it yet, something wrong with keys, but dunno with which one., but it do work in leopard fine .

2) opencl is no successor to QE or whatever, and its not supported on pre4xxx cards because its made via compute shaders, which first appeared in 4xxx line

3) snow leo bug is about opengl, smth wrong with loading textures into card, or smth similar.

1) 10.4 doesnt make 2600xt to work in snow leopard - its another problem, cant figure it yet, something wrong with keys, but dunno with which one., but it do work in leopard fine .

2) opencl is no successor to QE or whatever, and its not supported on pre4xxx cards because its made via compute shaders, which first appeared in 4xxx line

3) snow leo bug is about opengl, smth wrong with loading textures into card, or smth similar.

I am sure that you of all people will manage to get the ATI2600 to work under SL Mr Netkas :)

Added support for 2600xt in SnowLeopard, but need to remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

when I booted with 4850 and 2600xt, gui appeared after few mins of blue screen, next, with glview, I discovered taht 2600xt opengl engine has Zero kb of video ram, thats problem with it i think.

at netkas.org

Added support for 2600xt in SnowLeopard, but need to remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

when I booted with 4850 and 2600xt, gui appeared after few mins of blue screen, next, with glview, I discovered taht 2600xt opengl engine has Zero kb of video ram, thats problem with it i think.

at netkas.org

What do you think about the issue with the ATI HD2600 XT card, whether it will be resolved soon or to change card?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, let me be very specific about these questions and hopefully someone can answer...

1. Has anyone using an ATI HD 2600 Pro been able to get it to work (QE/CI enabled) under Snow Leopard on a Hackintosh?

2. If you answered yes to question one, could you please give SPECIFIC instructions on how you did this?

-What version of Chameleon and PC-EFI are you using?

-Where did you get your ROM file?

-Where are you putting the ROM file?

-What syntax are you using for GraphicsEnabler?

3. Please include any other concise info you needed to get this card working

Okay, let me be very specific about these questions and hopefully someone can answer...

1. Has anyone using an ATI HD 2600 Pro been able to get it to work (QE/CI enabled) under Snow Leopard on a Hackintosh?

2. If you answered yes to question one, could you please give SPECIFIC instructions on how you did this?

-What version of Chameleon and PC-EFI are you using?

-Where did you get your ROM file?

-Where are you putting the ROM file?

-What syntax are you using for GraphicsEnabler?

3. Please include any other concise info you needed to get this card working

I don't really think that not one yet has been able successfully install SL in the ATI HD 2600 with QE and CI enabled. Trust me, I have also this card and I am dying to see any instructions or manual in how to do it. But in my opinion I think if you want really SL its recommended to upgrade to a more powerful card that can support SL or buy a Mac. I will stay with 10.5.8 because it do what I need to do. Right now I don't need SL.

• 1 month later...

I did notice one thing interesting when upgrading to 10.6.2 I got a completely grey screen and nothing else where as on the two previous builds I got a black screen with random white pixels

Still have to delete ATIRadeonx2000.kext but need no other files to get resolution change working

I am wondering with this change if Apple are going to bring out a Graphics Update like in 10.5.2 to fix more bugs ??

Fingers crossed

• 3 weeks later...

Guessing from the lack of anything being said here, no one out there has been able to progress getting this card working with QE/CI any further under Snow? It's a shame this card works so well for me in Leo. I guess I will have to move on to an nVidia at some point in the near future.

• 1 month later...
@netkas: Could you please explain why the HD 2600 in the genuine Apple iMacs work? And why sending rom images doesn't?

Yes, that's the question.......

i wanna also know why...

thanx max22 for the important Q..

Pls, netkas cud u give us an explaination?

• 4 weeks later...