OSX 10.6 on Shuttle SG33G5 - anyone with experiences ?

luc290670

31 posts in this topic

Hello everybody.

I managed to install SL on my machine and it works just fine. Now I want to do this on the Shuttle SG33G5 from a friend of mine. I would like to have chameleon with all necessary extensions on an USB stick and a vanilla install on the HD (like it is with my Hackintosh). To follow the guide I used for my computer I would need a patched DSDT. Unfortunately I didn't manage to do that, patching of my Gigabyte bios file was no problem but does not work with the shuttle bios file. Also I would need to know which kexts I will need. Maybe somebody did this already and can help me ?

Alternatively maybe someone can give me a short guide how to install SL on the shuttle by a different method that worked with him ?

Thanks to all in this forum, I got already some great information from here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have it up and running in my SG33G5. I do not have audio yet but I will post here as soon as I fix this issue.

Edited

Audio now works (with VoodooHDA.kext). I have the SG33G5 up and running Snow Leopard. I'll post my files later on.

So far the only thing that is not currently working is Sleep. I'll mess with it a little bit later on. Everything works except for Sleep.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
I have it up and running in my SG33G5. I do not have audio yet but I will post here as soon as I fix this issue.

Edited

Audio now works (with VoodooHDA.kext). I have the SG33G5 up and running Snow Leopard. I'll post my files later on.

So far the only thing that is not currently working is Sleep. I'll mess with it a little bit later on. Everything works except for Sleep.

Cheers

Right up front, I'm very new to the process of getting MacOS running on a PC, so please be gentle. I'm presently getting kernel panics on disk-like operations during the installation. If I boot from usb stick with -x -v (note I must use these options on boot), I can format the HD, and barely get started in the OS install, but I get a kernel panic in fsck operations on my HD. Sounds like I don't have the right drivers or DSDT definition for the SATA drives. I started with a Gigabyte motherboard DSDT. Can you provide advise, a tutorial, a DSDT file, or any kext locations for files I need?

• 4 weeks later...

hey there

i have the following system

dell studio xps with intel i7 core

ATI hd 4350 with 1gb dedecated ram

and i would like to install mac os x on it ...

can someone pls suggest me some good tutorial for this and also let me know what version of dvd i should use to install on that

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Edited

Cheers

I have the same shuttle but having problems installing. Keep getting panics. How did you install snow leopard on you shuttle? Any help would be appreiciated. Thanks

Managed to install fine with Hazard distro

• 1 month later...
I have the same shuttle but having problems installing. Keep getting panics. How did you install snow leopard on you shuttle? Any help would be appreiciated. Thanks

Managed to install fine with Hazard distro

Hey guys!

I have been very unsuccessful with installing SL on my system. how did you set up the bios and what SL version did you use to get it. Did you guys use the upgrade way or clean install.

I tried ideneb 1.5.3, IP 10.5.6, kalyway 10.5.2, snow white, iakios 10.5.7 and no luck

Please help anyone, would appreciate the help!!!!

• 2 months later...

Except for sleep, I can have Snow Leopard running fine in my SG33G5. I can post a guide if needed to get others to run it. Unfortunately I'm using a 9800 GT 512MB Nvidia card and no matter what I try I haven't been able to get video output after the update to 10.6.3.

So if anyone is interested in 10.6.0 installation let me know and I'll post about it.

This 9800 GT black screen issue is very weird and messy. Wondering if anyone has heavily edited the DSDT to actually get this card running properly...

Good luck

Except for sleep, I can have Snow Leopard running fine in my SG33G5. I can post a guide if needed to get others to run it. Unfortunately I'm using a 9800 GT 512MB Nvidia card and no matter what I try I haven't been able to get video output after the update to 10.6.3.

So if anyone is interested in 10.6.0 installation let me know and I'll post about it.

This 9800 GT black screen issue is very weird and messy. Wondering if anyone has heavily edited the DSDT to actually get this card running properly...

Good luck

yes a 10.6.0 guide would be greatly appreciated

I've been struggling to get my sg33g5 to wake from sleep. did you get this working? If so was it a DSDT file fix and would you be willing to share that?

No, unfortunately sleep doesn't work. I haven't edited the DSDT heavily. I was lazy enough to use a pre-modified DSDT file. Someone should take a look at the DSDT for us. I was able to sleep this baby in Leopard. Eventually we will get it working (crossed fingers). That's the only feature I don't use anyways. I have this machine running services hence it is always on.

I managed to get sleep working on my SG33G5 by editing the DSDT.aml file. I attached them for your sleeping enjoyment... :D

Also: I'd really like to get my nVidia 8400gs working with DSDT rather than using the plist hex string, so any advice is appreciated.

This guide was helpful

Hi Dale,

Good job! :)

In previous versions (10.5.8) I got it working by editing the IOUSBFamily.kext Pretty much the same fix hehehe.

Also, I can boot 10.6.2 just fine. Not so lucky with 10.6.3 with Nvidia 9800GT 512RAM. The black screen issue that many have seen with the 8XXX and 9XXX Nvidia cards. Have you tried upgrading to 10.6.3?

Ohhh... And I have to update the guide :) This DSDT must be included!

It worked beautifully!

Guide updated with new DSDT file :)http://geeks.gotdns.com/sg33g5/

Hi Dale,

Good job! :D

In previous versions (10.5.8) I got it working by editing the IOUSBFamily.kext Pretty much the same fix hehehe.

Also, I can boot 10.6.2 just fine. Not so lucky with 10.6.3 with Nvidia 9800GT 512RAM. The black screen issue that many have seen with the 8XXX and 9XXX Nvidia cards. Have you tried upgrading to 10.6.3?

Ohhh... And I have to update the guide :plane: This DSDT must be included!

It worked beautifully!

Guide updated with new DSDT file :plane:http://yoni.homeserver.com/sg33g5/

I have 2 problems experience in 10.6.2 following the instruction:

1) I can't get VoodooHDA.kext to work....I use Kext helper to install it..but still unable to find the audio device

2) Wake on sleep doesn't work...the sleep itself working fine with HD, screen, fan power off, but when I wake up via mouse button or keyboard...it'll wake, then within 5 seconds..I'll get the screen asking me to 'hold the power button to restart'

My configuration is WD 500GB SATA, a SATA DVD-RW, 8600GT nvidia on SG33G5. (the voodoohda used to work when I install OSX SL via Snow OSX 3.6. But I tried Yoni solution as it's more clean.

1) I can't get VoodooHDA.kext to work....I use Kext helper to install it..but still unable to find the audio device

I found out if I do '-x32 -f -v'..the voodoo driver will work..but if I boot it normally, it won't see it. I tried to 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' to force to rebulid the kext cache, but seems not working. Anyone has any document how to make voodoohda working in your shuttle? Or Yoni, can you update your guide with voodoohda installation as well? Thx.

Updated: The sleep is now fixed by flashing the system bios to have a newer version..I'm using SG33S119 bios now. (but sound is still not working with VoodooHDA)

I found out if I do '-x32 -f -v'..the voodoo driver will work..but if I boot it normally, it won't see it. I tried to 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' to force to rebulid the kext cache, but seems not working. Anyone has any document how to make voodoohda working in your shuttle? Or Yoni, can you update your guide with voodoohda installation as well? Thx.

Updated: The sleep is now fixed by flashing the system bios to have a newer version..I'm using SG33S119 bios now. (but sound is still not working with VoodooHDA)

Here it is how to do it...

Guide updated with sound fix :(

Here it is how to do it...

Guide updated with sound fix :D

Actually, I got it fixed myself..it's due to the extended attribute set when it's been downloaded from safari. So I need to use 'xattr' to remove those quarantine attribute.

What I didn't do and still work...I didn't remove AppleHDA.kext at all, also I don't need to set the output to lineout. (you may want to update your guide to make sure ppl having SG33S119 bios version or higher for the sleep to work)

Anyway, thx for your guide..I used to use SnowOSX 3.6 before..and still a bit buggy, now is more clean.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info, guys! I had my SG33G5 running on Leopard and now it is time to update to Snow Leopard. I tried Windows 7 and the thing crashed on me 1 hour after it was installed. My SG33G5 ran better as a hackintosh. Now off to sleep and I'll be doing this project in the AM. I'll post up my results.

UPDATE:

I had a weird occurence. I installed 10.6.2 update just fine. Everything was perfect until I tried the sleep mode. The computer went to sleep and then I couldn't wake it. I pressed the power button to get it to reboot, it got to the Apple screen and it just sat there forever. I tried reinstalling the system 3 more times using the same method as previous but I was still getting the same result. Just a frozen Apple screen. I even checked to verify the HD and everything checked out. I'm now reinstalling snow leopard onto my USB drive and will try to reinstall again.

Any clue as to what may have happened?