"GUID Parition Table" requirement for Snow?

coolguy1

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have trying to install Dual-boot setup of Windows 7 and OSX on Dell Latitude E6400 w/ nvidia 160M graphics

I have created 3 partitions:

1- WIN7 - NTFS

2- OSX - UNFORMATTED

Steps: diskpart

create paritition primary id=af

select partition 2

active

3- DATA - NTFS

I have installed WIN7 on Partition-1, now I booted to Snow 10.6 DVD:

Select DISKUtility -> Select OSX Partition- > click ERASE and selected 'Journaled' File system

Now the OSX partition disk shows up in Install screen, but it shows following error:

' To Install on this Disk, Open DiskUtility and repartition this disk using "GUID partition Table"

How to proceed now, so I can retain my Win7 Installation and install OSX on 2nd partition? I thought in previous OSX versions you can install OSX on MBR partitions too.

Since Windows could not boot from a GUID disk partition unless your system is running EFI instead of BIOS, you have to install SL on a MBR disk partition.

You have 2 options.

- Install to a dedicated GUID partitioned disk first, then clone it back to the MBR partition on your current Windows 7 disk. The GUID disk could be a external USB disk. Cloning is done by using restore function of Disk Utility.

- Search for "Snow Leopard OSInstall.mpkg" and you will find a modified osinstall.mpkg file that you can use to replace the original file on the SL install DVD. It allows you to install on to a MBR disk, but I saw someone mentioned it will cause some problem to the installed system like screw up permission. I personally don't know whether it is true or not since I use option 1.

• 2 months later...