Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530

eclypse

154 posts in this topic

Has anyone succesfully installed on a Dell Inspiron 530 using retail DVD method?

I followed the guide posted here:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

However, during the install of Snow Leopard, Disk Utility is unable to see any of my SATA drives even though the bootloader recognized them. I've switched BIOS from IDE to RAID, and neither option resolve this.

Do I need a kext? If so, which one? And where do I install it, onto the Install image inside S/L/E or in the Extra folder?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was able to install using the SnowOSX Universal ISO. It just required changing the BIOS SATA option to RAID (Which really means AHCI & RAID)

I was able to get ethernet working quickly using Intel82566MM.kext

Sound isn't working yet. The codec dump I used in Leopard with AppleHDAPatches seems to hang on me, and other ones I've tried resulted in an immediate kernel panic. Anyone have a solution?

Once I tackle sound, I also need to do the CMOS DSDT patch, since my BIOS resets everytime I reboot Snow Leopard now.

I was able to install using the SnowOSX Universal ISO. It just required changing the BIOS SATA option to RAID (Which really means AHCI & RAID)

Ah I got all excited there for a moment.. I tried installing from snowiso yesterday.. I couldn't get the install via leopard to work.. probably permissions, so tried the via a modified USB drive.. but couldn't see the disk in disk utility..

So I tried RAID after reading your post... but I still cant see the disk.. I have several inspiron 530 all running leopard..

Mind if I ask what method you are using to install SL, also what firmware is your inspiron 530? this particular one is still on 1.0.12 ?

Ah I got all excited there for a moment.. I tried installing from snowiso yesterday.. I couldn't get the install via leopard to work.. probably permissions, so tried the via a modified USB drive.. but couldn't see the disk in disk utility..

So I tried RAID after reading your post... but I still cant see the disk.. I have several inspiron 530 all running leopard..

Mind if I ask what method you are using to install SL, also what firmware is your inspiron 530? this particular one is still on 1.0.12 ?

I set the BIOS to RAID and booted right from the Snow OSX Universal v3.5 DVD (Not the Snow Leopard Retail DVD, check google for download link) That allowed me to see all my SATA drives during the install. I don't know what specifically is different that allowed it, if I get curious, I may diff the Extensions folder between this and the retail DVD which I have in hand. I was hoping to use the retail DVD, but I couldn't get it to work.

I'll check the firmware next time I reboot, though I think it's at the latest rev. from Dell.

Has anyone succesfully installed on a Dell Inspiron 530 using retail DVD method?

I followed the guide posted here:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I followed that guide too and can't even get into the installer without a panic. I just get the "Your computer needs to shut down" message. I guess it's something to do with the boot files as I needed a specific Inspiron Boot132 disk to install Leopard.

Did you use the boot in the tutorial or another one?

I was able to get ethernet working quickly using Intel82566MM.kext

Sound isn't working yet. The codec dump I used in Leopard with AppleHDAPatches seems to hang on me, and other ones I've tried resulted in an immediate kernel panic. Anyone have a solution?

Once I tackle sound, I also need to do the CMOS DSDT patch, since my BIOS resets everytime I reboot Snow Leopard now.

I have the audio working, the voodoo hda works fine. I did the same install as you with the raid switch. Now all I need is the CMOS DSDT patch.

Go here for audio fix http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

Yep mine is working now too with the v3.5 iso..

How did you get the audio working? the kexts I used for leopard do not work..

Also I have an ATI Radeon 2600HD which I haven't got working yet..

The cheap Netgear gigabit card works OOTB though.

Quick update:

I've patched the dsdt.aml and put it on the root partition and cmos is fixed! Still need to change IDE to RAID tho

Everything except sleep seems to be working on my inspiron 530. btw i have an 8600gt card which works with the universal injector from http://netkas.org/?p=104

Good Luck, I'm going to try retail boot next

Congrats. I'd be curious to hear if you can get retail boot to work. The thing for me was that the retail DVD, put on a USB stick with a bootloader (The lifehacker link I posted) would not detect my hard drives, and I've yet to figure out what SnowOSX did to resolve this.

Was it just me, or does the SnowOSX DVD only do 32-bit? I have a Q6600 quad core processor which supports 64-bit, but SL installed using the SnowOSX 3.5 ISO seemed to be running 32-bit (uname returned i386)

btw i have an 8600gt card which works with the universal injector from http://netkas.org/?p=104

You can also just use EFIStudio, select your card from the list, and have it add the string to your boot plist file. No kext needed. I have the same card which worked perfectly with this method.

OK I have everything working now except for sleep..

I replaced my ATI Radeon 2600HD with an Nvidia 8600GT and used an EFI string.

I used the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext to enable audio.

Oh I also patched the DSDT.aml with CMOS fix, simply replace the two instances of 0x04 in the RTC section with 0x02 and recompile.

Sleep anyone? I tried OpenHaltRestart for snow 64 but that did not work..

OK I have everything working now except for sleep..

I replaced my ATI Radeon 2600HD with an Nvidia 8600GT and used an EFI string.

I used the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext to enable audio.

Oh I also patched the DSDT.aml with CMOS fix, simply replace the two instances of 0x04 in the RTC section with 0x02 and recompile.

Sleep anyone? I tried OpenHaltRestart for snow 64 but that did not work..

Did you start with a prepatched disk or a retail Snow Leopard DMG?

I built my Dell 530 with a retail DMG installing on an external 120GB HDD and I got it to work without sleep too. However, when I installed it to internal 500GB everything just went to pieces. It did not import my Time Machine backup (KP after import) and when I copied files manually, I saw random kernel panics when I started using my computer on a regular basis.

That put me in a dilemma. I did not get any Kernel Panics from the external HDD but since it was only 120GB, I could not put it to any serious use anyway. So I ordered another 1 GB HDD which should be here in a few days. I will start building once again on that HDD since that will allow me to import my files and use the computer regularly. When it is stable, I will overwrite my internal Leo install.

Did you start with a prepatched disk or a retail Snow Leopard DMG?

I built my Dell 530 with a retail DMG installing on an external 120GB HDD and I got it to work without sleep too. However, when I installed it to internal 500GB everything just went to pieces. It did not import my Time Machine backup (KP after import) and when I copied files manually, I saw random kernel panics when I started using my computer on a regular basis.

That put me in a dilemma. I did not get any Kernel Panics from the external HDD but since it was only 120GB, I could not put it to any serious use anyway. So I ordered another 1 GB HDD which should be here in a few days. I will start building once again on that HDD since that will allow me to import my files and use the computer regularly. When it is stable, I will overwrite my internal Leo install.

How did you manage to install from a retail DMG to an internal disk? I think several of us have run into the install not recognizing internal SATA drives during install from a retail disk.

Anybody want to be so kind as to post the DSDT.aml with CMOS fix for everybody with a Inspiron 530. We could definitely turn this into a good tutorial thread.

I just got my leopard install working on my 530 so I can start the Snow Leopard process.

SOO much easier to install Leopard on this 530 than the 730i,750i, and 780i boards I've been trying to install on for the past week.

Anybody want to be so kind as to post the DSDT.aml with CMOS fix for everybody with a Inspiron 530. We could definitely turn this into a good tutorial thread.

I just got my leopard install working on my 530 so I can start the Snow Leopard process.

SOO much easier to install Leopard on this 530 than the 730i,750i, and 780i boards I've been trying to install on for the past week.

Here is a copy of my patched dsdt.aml. I posted it to these boards in another Inspiron 530 thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=54992

Its showing 11 downloads.

How did you manage to install from a retail DMG to an internal disk? I think several of us have run into the install not recognizing internal SATA drives during install from a retail disk.

I had that problem too. IntelPIIXATA.kext is needed and it wasn't being loaded due to some dependency problem. I think I had to get a different kext and delete its copy from the S/L/E. OR something like that. Sorry I am being sketchy but the key is loading the IntelPIIXATA kext correctly.

The problem I faced was, even after I recognized the internal HDD, installer just kept crashing on me. So in the end I cloned the external installed partition onto the internal HDD using the disk utility. I don't know if it was that or something else, but my internal install was never as stable as Leopard. So I restored Leopard from my time machine backup and gave up on Snow.

I am getting another 1TB external drive tomorrow, so I will give it another shot with some different method then.

Use the attached AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from your E/E folder to see your internal SATA drives. I just tried it on a vanilla system and it works.

Got it to boot Snow Leopard in 32 and 64-bit, but I have random kernel panics. I could never get the Intel SATA Kext's that you posted above to work with the installer (it was in RAID mode too). Ended up installing from Snow Leopard, and then using the automator from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823 to install to the Snow Leopard partition, and copied the DSDT over and now it boots fine.

Still don't know why I get the random kernel panics. Hopefully somebody has some insight.

I had the same issues when I installed to internal using disk clone. Now I have perfected the installer using another external disk and today I am going to be installing snow using the installer.

With the above kext, you need to be in IDE mode not RAID mode.

The final bit of good news is that I found a kext that makes the internal network card work in snow. That has not worked for me *ever*. So I am looking forward to switching to snow today. Internal network and Apple updates would be the two biggest upgrades for me. I will also experiment with sleep today.

hello fellow i530 users.

I have had much success with Leopard by using iPC10.5.5 and am now happy to say that i have gotten through the installer and sucsesfully am running Snow Leopard.

I have read every message in this thread and I have chosen to go the non-retail route and used universal ISO 3.5 SL.

google to find

I tried the retail method and my drives were never detected. I wanted so badly to have a retail install, but its ok.

right off the top I will say that I did not try a usb installation method, i used the DVD and it only worked when bios was set to AHCI/RAID

the installer ran for me flawlessly.

of course I now face issues with what i understand to be something wrong with my dsdt or whatever in my bootlist.

i am very new to this but am happy to provide my information.

However, I will not be needing to find any audio solution because i am running a firewire based DAW box that runs off of the manufacturers software - sorry.

once i get SL running with QE graphics and Networking, I will reply back.

I will also have to research this whole dstd or whatever its called so that my bios quits resetting.

Hey everyone, I'm a 530 users as well, and plan to write a guide for both 10. 5 and 6. For the audio, after AppleHDA.kext this should enable audio. I haven't tested them myself, but I was told these are Snow Compatible.

-------------- The posted kext (ALCinject.kext) will screw up your installation.

If you installed it... Boot up as -s and

(run the commands is says to run if you want to make modifications to files)

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext

reboot, this time with -f.

Repair disc permissions and reboot.

If you need anymore kexts for Sno, check out this link.

Btw, has anyone seen a boot up slow down since either the switch to AHCI or Snow? Leopard booted up in 26 seconds (record, compared to my MacBook) and Snow boots in a minute or so, what the heck? I am lead to believe that this is Ahci, as the DVD boot up is taking longer than the older DVD.

Bump.

Ok, sorry for posting the kext before, I misread your posts, I thought you didn't have it working.

Big News: after 10 hours of work, research, trial and error, I have figured out a way to install retail on the Inspiron. I combined a few guides, mainly using Adam Pash's (Lifehacker) guide with modified Extra files, and success. I will be writing a guide, however, unless you have a Mac nearby, you need a working 10.5 installation. For you guys, you seem to know what you are doing, so here's the lowdown:

1. Rip the Retail DVD to a thumb drive (usually done DVD to DMG, DMG to thumb drive). It doesn't have to be a thumb drive, as I used my portable HD used usually for Time Machine, but I had to restore it, so backup of the backup was needed.

2. Follow the terminal commands 1-6 here but in step 6, don't copy the Extra folder to the thumb drive just yet.

3. Replace the Extensions.mkext with the one attached.

4. Replace DSDT.aml with the one in the previous post. If given permission, I edit this post and attach a whole zip with my Extra folder, then adjust the guide accordingly.

5. Open Themes, Default, and edit theme.plist in TextEdit. Change the following keys according to your resolution: boot_height (height of screen res) boot_width (width of screen), screen_height, screen_width. Save and close.

6. Finally, copy the Extra folder to your drive, reboot (or switch to the hackintosh), open the bios and enable IDE mode, not RAID. Save changes and Exit.

7. Press F12 to load the boot menu, and choose the usb device.

8. Choose to boot the Installer partition, verbose as always.

9. Install as always! Just make sure you have GPT (or GUID) enabled, or it won't work.

10. On finish/reboot, you might have the cmos problem (I did). Fix everything back to how it was before, and boot from the USB again, this time in Chameleon select the newly installed Snow Leopard Partition.

11. Install the ethernet, sound kexts, and use EFIStudio to install your GFX card (the onboard is incompatible, and will most likely stay that way, so invest in a card).

12. Repeat the terminal steps, this time in your Snow Leopard installation. Instead of re-fixing the Extra folder, just Copy it from your USB.

I'm assuming the 10.6.1 update should work, as it did for Adam Pash. Have fun, and tell me how it goes.

EDIT: I just relized I didn't attach any files. I'll be sure to edit this post and attach them in a couple minutes, in case you are wondering.

EDIT2: The Previously Posted dsdt.aml file did not work for my (fix the CMOS error). Therefore, I have posted my dsdt.aml, and the Extensions.mkext. Sorry for the delay. I have had some blocks in the road.

EDIT3: This build cannot be booted via arch=i386, as the chipset driver in the mkext is 64 bit.

530_Extra.zip Includes Extensions.mkext and dsdt.aml

Running Snow Leo on this atm with BootThink, using custom dsdt with Graphics, network and speedstep, and kexts

fakesmc (by netkas)

legacybroadcomusbbluetoothhcicontroller (by me for enhanced bluetooth)

legacy hda (from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941)

OpenHaltrestart

platformuuid

Extensions.zip

and a 10.5.8 IOATAFamily.kext, as snow leo one KP's on boot

I am running a

Q6600 (Bsel'd up to 3GHz)

8600gt

Atheros Wireless Card

If you are using the same cpu as me, take a look at my dsdt and see if you can adapt it into your own dsdt.dsl.zip

this is just awesome, finally there's a simple way to get the retail loading, i haven't tried this yet because I don't have a large enough thumb drive. Do you think it can be done from a different partition instead of a thumb drive? thanks

I tried that before, with an error, but of course I wasn't using these files. I'll have to try again tomorrow, though tomorrow I don't have nearly as much time to work on this. I'll have to see, If we can, I would be able to get back my 110GB HD as a Rescue or TM!

The problem with this is that the boot loader would have to be installed on the Install partition, because we'll be wiping out the Main, then once installed we'll install it to the main, then delete the install partition. Hope!

I have an inspiron 530 as well, and am looking for a way to get it up and running with a retail install. So far no luck, but I also have an ATI HD4670...

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3MB L2, 2.80GHz, 1066 FSB)

Raptor 70 GB with Vista

500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM) - where I want to install Snow Leopard

4 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)

with a Belkin USB Wireless Network Adaptor

Anyone have any tips?

-Nathan