[solved] Internal SATA drive not visable

27 posts in this topic

I have installed Snow Leo GM on an external USB connected drive for testing until my retail copy arrives. It boots and appears to run correctly - so far - except for one major problem. I can't mount my internal SATA drive which has my production Leopard 10.5.8 system installed on it.

I have used the following additional kext in the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
fakesmc.kext

Any pointers to what I am missing, or why the internal SATA drive is not visible would be greatly appreciated.

Im having the same problem. I installed to an external drive. When I boot I do not see either of my internal drives (on laptop, one drive windows, other OSX). When I swap the external harddrive with the internal one, it wont boot at all. If anyone knows please help us, both.

well guys, i HAD the same problem...

and the solution i quite simple

click somewhere on your desktop so that finder is selected

then in the menu click finder preferences

there you should see some check-boxes and one of the is saying show hard drives on desktop....

select it and voila

( i could go to my drives through 'go' and then select computer (from the finder menu)

well guys, i HAD the same problem...

and the solution i quite simple

click somewhere on your desktop so that finder is selected

then in the menu click finder preferences

there you should see some check-boxes and one of the is saying show hard drives on desktop....

select it and voila

( i could go to my drives through 'go' and then select computer (from the finder menu)

I appreciate that you are attempting to help, but you have misread the problem statement. It is not that the drive does not show on the desktop. It is that the drive is not accessible period. If I use the terminal and enter the command "diskutil list" the drive is not listed. I can't use the internal hard drive or the dvd burner. The system does not see them.

• Like 1

indeed i did oversee that

is it on the mainboard specified in your signature that you're installing it? if so i suppose they are ata drives or do you have an sata controller ? can you tell us which one if so, because i had also a sata controller for which i had to install a supplemental driver

indeed i did oversee that

is it on the mainboard specified in your signature that you're installing it? if so i suppose they are ata drives or do you have an sata controller ? can you tell us which one if so, because i had also a sata controller for which i had to install a supplemental driver

My system has only one (1) internal hard drive. It is a 500Gb SATA. It is GUID partitioned with Win7, Leopard 10.5.8 and data.

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*465.8 Gi   disk0
  1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:	   Microsoft Basic Data						 140.0 Gi   disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Production			  140.0 Gi   disk0s3
  4:				  Apple_HFS Media				   185.3 Gi   disk0s4

I have SnowLeo (432) installed on an external 40 Gb PATA drive which is connected via USB. I have a second external 40Gb PATA drive with Leopard 10.5.8 installed on it. When I boot the USB connected drive with 10.5.8 on it I see the internal SATA drive and it's partitions are automatically mounted. When I boot the drive with SnowLeo the internal drive is not detected.

Hi !

Are you sure you selected AHCI in bios mode for your sata ? For snow leopard it doesn't work as IDE....

I hope it helps !

Peg4a :)

My system is old - see in my sig - and when I check the BIOS settings I see only enable/disable for the SATA settings. There is no mention of AHCI or IDE. I assume therefore that it is IDE ;)

Still, it is working well in Leopard so I guess there is some hope for an additional / patched kext to make it work for SnowLeo.

can you try this extension??

please report asap

(added ich5 lines)

(make backup of current kext!! and boot with -f argument)

I gave it a try - no joy. When I boot the system I found that the IOATAFamily kext was not loaded. I used kextutil to load it and found error messages stating that "boot loader could not use simlinks. I looked in the kext Contents and found this folder:

root Contents # ls -l _CodeSignature
total 32
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel   156 Aug 30 20:21 CodeDirectory
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel	12 Aug 30 20:21 CodeRequirements
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  1363 Aug 30 20:21 CodeResources
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  4064 Aug 30 20:21 CodeSignature

At the same level of the _CodeSignatuer folder were simlinks pointing to each file in _CodeSignature. I removed the simlinks and copied the files out in their place. Then the IOATAFamily kext could load. I restarted the system but efen with the kext loaded the SATA drive was not detected.

Interestingly, the 10.5.8 kext has the simlinks and loads just fine under 10.5.8 ?????

Thanks for the attempt - wish it had worked.

I am having the same issues. Its a Dell Inspiron 530 with ICH9 chipset. I have tried ApplePIIXATA.kext, IOATAFamily (attached above) and a few more tweaks. I have enabled AHCI (BIOS allows IDE or RAID, and RAID enables AHCI) but that did not do anything for me.

I had this problem with one SATA drive, it was connected on a JMicron port (purple connector), who are not working one my system (and yours are they working ?). You can try to plug your drive in another connector.

I don't think my system uses jMicron controllers. However, I did try changing connectors. It had no effect. I think the problem may be related to the fact that my DVD is connected to an IDE PATA port. To test that theory I have ordered a dual layer SATA dvd drive which should be here later this week. At that point, I will be able to disable the PATA ports in the BIOS and see what happens.

Wow, Snow Leopard on a Prescott P4! What kernel are you using?

You're missing the ACHI and ATA port injector kexts from the Chameleon package, the ATA kext has IDs for the ICH5. I'm not sure if it matters though. The blockstorage injector only fixes the icons.

--

My P4 hackintosh also has ICH5 but unlike yours it works with a PATA DVD Drive + a SATA hard drive.

There are two SATA ports and two IDE ports available.

The BIOS has some strange settings for the controller, Compatible and Enhanced Mode, and under those you can enable the available ports in various configurations. After reading the manual several times I still don't understand how it's supposed to work. But it does.

It's obvious that there are limitations, it seems only certain combinations of SATA and PATA drives are possible on the ICH5, and that you cannot use all ports/channels at the same time.

Since you don't have anything to tweak in the BIOS, try different ports. First try with the SATA drive in port 1 (should be marked on the motherboard which is which) and the DVD drive jumpered as master (don't use CS) at the end of the cable and in the primary PATA channel.

Actually I'm using a PATA HDD with a PATA <-> SATA converter in it. If I use it without the converter I can't get it to boot at all, regardless of the setting. Strangely, the PATA DVD drive seems to work no matter what.

The ICHx injector that comes with Chameleon 2.0 doesn't have the right IDs for my ICH5 but it worked anyway somehow. I changed the IDs after installing.

lspci shows separate IDs for the SATA and the PATA part:

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller [8086:24db] (rev 02)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller [8086:24d1] (rev 02)

I had this problem with one SATA drive, it was connected on a JMicron port (purple connector), who are not working one my system (and yours are they working ?). You can try to plug your drive in another connector.

Hi, this is quite interesting. I had one WD 80GB SATA drive and SATA DVD on GA-EP-45-UD3L mobo. I am using iATKOS v7. It works fine when I selected SATA AHCI as disabled and Native mode Disabled in bios. I can see it in diskutility, successfully installed 10.5.7 and upgraded to 10.5.8 no issue. But when I switch to AHCI mode in BIOS, initialization confirms that 2 devices found, but when I get to diskutility in installation, it does not show any hard drive. I tested it with my WD 1TB SATA HD it shows up in AHCI mode and goes through the installation process without any problem. Any suggestion for my 80GB SATA in AHCI mode?

Wow, Snow Leopard on a Prescott P4! What kernel are you using?

You're missing the ACHI and ATA port injector kexts from the Chameleon package, the ATA kext has IDs for the ICH5. I'm not sure if it matters though. The blockstorage injector only fixes the icons.

--

My P4 hackintosh also has ICH5 but unlike yours it works with a PATA DVD Drive + a SATA hard drive.

I am using a mach_kernel.432 by modbin which appears to work correctly. Found the link in one of the guides on the osx86 10.6 installation forum.

I have two SATA sockets on the mainboard. As long as IDE/PATA is enabled in the BIOS connecting the HDD to either socket shows the drive as SATA/secondary in the IO registry device tree.. If I disable the PATA support then the HDD is shown on SATA/primary.

None of that appers to make any difference to my SnowLeo. Even with PATA disabled it still can't see the SATA HDD.

I tried using the ATA port injectors from Chameleon but always got a KP when they were in /Extra/Extensions.

I should just give up and buy a Mac, but then what would I do for recreation :(

I should just give up and buy a Mac, but then what would I do for recreation ;)

lmao, exactly. It would suck to have nothing to fix. :P

Try in 64-bit mode with some of the 10.6 kexts Stellarola collected at his blog - Including new versions of the Chameleon AHCI kexts:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

(if the link gets removed, just google 'Stell's blog' and you'll find it).

There's also a new, patched AppleIntelPIIATA.kext (I think that's what it's called) floating around somewhere, maybe you can do something with that.

I solve this problem by running the Kext Utility application and then restart.

This application can be downloaded here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

You don't need to drop any file on it, just double click the application

The application will repair permission, rebuild extension.mkext. for E/E and S/L/E

Hope it help :(

lmao, exactly. It would suck to have nothing to fix. :)

Try in 64-bit mode with some of the 10.6 kexts Stellarola collected at his blog - Including new versions of the Chameleon AHCI kexts:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

(if the link gets removed, just google 'Stell's blog' and you'll find it).

There's also a new, patched AppleIntelPIIATA.kext (I think that's what it's called) floating around somewhere, maybe you can do something with that.

I just found Sells' blog this morning. I have been retrieving the files and placing them on a drive accessable to my SnowLeo system. I plan to give them a try later today. Thanks for the pointer though.

I solve this problem by running the Kext Utility application and then restart.

This application can be downloaded here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

You don't need to drop any file on it, just double click the application

The application will repair permission, rebuild extension.mkext. for E/E and S/L/E

Hope it help ;)

I have not tried the Kext utility, but I have it now and will try along with the other test later today.

I said in an earlier post that I had few SATA bios options. Either no or off and native mode - whatever that is. Well, I turned on native mode and it didn't help access the SATA drive from the SL system. However, it did make a change. Now, under Leopard 10.5.8 the SATA drive shows up under the primary SATA port and not the secondary. Not sure if that will help or hinder later on.

Well, the problem is resolved - finally!

After I installed the new dual layer SATA DVD drive and disabled the PATA support on the main board it still didn't work. So, I want back over the process I used to build in the first place.

I used the guide that Parsys worte and also the files found in the links on the #snlwleopard IRC channel.

I already had a working SnowLeo installer built from my retail install DVD. I formatted the External HDD and then installed Chameleon2-rc1 + EFI 10.1, added the modbin mach_kernel.432 and my set of kext in /Extra/Extensions. It was at that point that I found I had wo different versions of the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. One was the original one from the netkas blog. That one had not worked for me.

The second one is from a package called "ICHx for snow" and contains an archive called "updated missing dev-ID by z0r.zip". When I checked the content of the Info.plist I found it had entries for ICH5 SATA with the very device ID reported by lspci on my system. I apologize for not posting a link and giving credit where due. I have searched all afternoon and have not located it. I think the user name was ZoR but not sure.

My Extra/Extensions.mkext now contains the following:

drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Sep  4 17:51 AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
drw-r--r--  3 root  wheel  102 Sep  4 17:51 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Sep  4 17:51 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Sep  4 17:51 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 root  wheel  102 Sep  4 17:51 VoodooPS2Controller.kext
drw-r--r--@ 8 root  wheel  272 Sep  4 17:51 fakesmc.kext

and all is working well. The USB stick Snow installer and the USB installed copy of SnowLeo can both see and use my SATA HDD and DVD

Many thanks to all who tried to help me resolve this problem.

I am having a similar issue that you had. I created a post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184214

Is it just a matter of getting that better kext file? If so, can you post it?

I have no idea if this kext will solve your problem or not. I won't re-post the file because it is not my work. However, I will post the lik where I found on insanelymac.

Check this thread on page @2 - post @26 The poster provides two different download sites for the kext. Actually, the whole thread is of interest for getting a good SnowLeo install.

I hope this helps resolve your problem.

Guest freemaximus

Hi Bladerunner,

I have your same processor, but mine is lga 775. I have tried to install Snow Leopard on my system with a usb stick (8gb), but when it boot I have always a generic Kernel Panic, can you post details installation?

many thanks

Max