[GUIDE] How to install Os X 10.6 on Maximus Formula [V4.0 - BOOT-132!]

nonne9

134 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Things you need:

- A Maximus Formula Motherboard (Off course)

- A blank HDD or USB Pen Drive

- DVD of Snow Leopard 10A432

- ==> The .zip file <== HERE [v3.0 Audio Works]

- A Mac with OS X Fully Working (Or a Boot-132 DVD <== CLICK HERE for Snow Leopard)

- Patience

Installation:

- Switch on your PC [Press F8] / Mac [Press C] and boot from the DVD

- Once installation is loaded open Disk Utilty

- Select your HDD/USB Pen Drive and click on the "Partition" tab

- Now click "Option" button and select GUID Partition Table.

- Install Snow Leopard on the HDD/USB Pen Drive you formatted

- After the installation boot from a Fully Working installation of Mac OS X

- Download and extract the .zip

- Install PC EFI 10.1 to the HDD/USB Pen Drive you installed Snow Leopard

- Open EFIStudio and com.apple.boot.plist (FILES/Extra)

- Go back to EFiStudio, and go through the drop down menu and look for your Video Card.

- Click Add device and you will see bunch of numbers.

- Copy those numbers and paste them in to com.apple.boot.plist (FILES/Extra)

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE HERE!</string>

- Copy the folder "Extra" to the ROOT of the HDD/USB Pen Drive you installed Snow Leopard

- Copy DSDT.aml to the ROOT of the HDD/USB Pen Drive you installed Snow Leopard

- Move IONetworkingFamily.kext to:

Your HDD - Pen Drive/System/Library/Extensions

- Restart and boot from Snow Leopard drive

- When Chameleon boots up press a button and type -x32 -v then press ENTER <== (Be sure you do this step)

- Wait Snow Leopard to boot

- Create your Account, set your password, ecc

- Repair Permissions with Disk Utility NOW! (Or you'll get a Kernel Panic in 64-Bit!)

- Once Permissions are OK restart and boot again from Snow Leopard drive (DO NOT type this time just wait 5 Seconds).

NOTE:

If you have Boot Problems delete DSDT.aml from the root and make a new one with DSDT Patcher GUI

FiX UUID Errors (Optional)

- Open Disk Utility

- Right-Click on your Snow Leopard HDD

- Select Information

- Copy your UUID (Universal Identification)

- Move PlatformUUID.kext to the Extra folder (/Extra)

- Right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

- Open the Contents folder

- Open the Info.plist file

- Paste the UUID Code to:

<key>PlatformUUID</key>

<string>PASTE HERE!</string>

FINISH!

Here's what you'll get:

osx.png

100% All Working!

:(

NOTE:

Always repair permission in 32-Bit (Type -x32 at boot) because if you repair them in 64-Bit you (may) have a Kernel Panic

Great! I already have it working in a similar way, but I did not use AppleIntelPIIXATA,kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext.

What is the AppleIntelPIIXATA,kext one for? Do you need it if you set AHCI mode in your bios? I use all my SATA ports and haven't experienced any issues.

I really don't use sleep at all, my machine is always on. But just out of curiousity: does sleep work well? What about restart and shutdown?

I have IONetworkingFamily.kext in my extra folder instead of the system folder. I think I bumped up the version number to get it loading. I also have DSDT.aml in the extra folder, don't know if it's working or not. My system starts up without it too.

Great! I already have it working in a similar way, but I did not use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext.

What is the AppleIntelPIIXATA,kext one for? Do you need it if you set AHCI mode in your bios? I use all my SATA ports and haven't experienced any issues.

I really don't use sleep at all, my machine is always on. But just out of curiousity: does sleep work well? What about restart and shutdown?

I have IONetworkingFamily.kext in my extra folder instead of the system folder. I think I bumped up the version number to get it loading. I also have DSDT.aml in the extra folder, don't know if it's working or not. My system starts up without it too.

AppleIntelPIIXATA it's for the Chipset (ICH9). I don't use Sleep too so I got to test it, Shoutdown and Restart works only with OpenHaltRestart. BTW all SATA and USB ports are fully working. My PC starts up even without DSDT but I think it's better with it, even because it loads up correctly.

What about Audio? Is it working for you?

AppleIntelPIIXATA it's for the Chipset (ICH9). I don't use Sleep too so I got to test it, Shoutdown and Restart works only with OpenHaltRestart. BTW all SATA and USB ports are fully working. My PC starts up even without DSDT but I think it's better with it, even because it loads up correctly.

What about Audio? Is it working for you?

I have a digidesign mbox 2 usb audio device which works in 32 bit mode with standard drivers (no 64 bit drivers yet, but I guess they will come some time). I have never bothered installing the onboard sound as I won't be using it.

I will try with AppleIntelPIIXATA later today, but will it have a function if I use AHCI mode in bios?

Haven't noticed any problems with any of my sata ports. I have no IDE devices at all.

I will try with AppleIntelPIIXATA later today, but will it have a function if I use AHCI mode in bios?

Haven't noticed any problems with any of my sata ports. I have no IDE devices at all.

I don't know if AppleIntelPIIXATA will work with AHCI because i have SATA currently setted as IDE in my BIOS. The only thing to do is try in this case.

I'm searching for a Audio fix, I found one but you need to edit DSDT.aml. No one has a working Audio?

- A Mac with OS X Fully Working (Or a Boot-132 CD of Snow Leopard)

I have a question about this line. Boot-132 CD of Snow Leopard.. I have bene reading taht the Boot-132 i not managing to boot with SL on it. Will it work now wih FakeSMC or is there a newer version of Boot132 that supports SL booting? and if there is, where is there homepage? :) I have a problem finding to much about Boot132 to be honest. atleast if I want to have the newest version of it ;)

I have a question about this line. Boot-132 CD of Snow Leopard.. I have bene reading taht the Boot-132 i not managing to boot with SL on it. Will it work now wih FakeSMC or is there a newer version of Boot132 that supports SL booting? and if there is, where is there homepage? :D I have a problem finding to much about Boot132 to be honest. atleast if I want to have the newest version of it :)

Well I wrote Boot-132 CD of Snow Leopard because I read that someone was able to boot with. However you can use other method to boot if you want, but it's important that you install from the DVD and not from Leopard (10.5)

I have a question about this line. Boot-132 CD of Snow Leopard.. I have bene reading taht the Boot-132 i not managing to boot with SL on it. Will it work now wih FakeSMC or is there a newer version of Boot132 that supports SL booting? and if there is, where is there homepage? :) I have a problem finding to much about Boot132 to be honest. atleast if I want to have the newest version of it :)

me 2. I've tried numerous times to create a boot 132 cd of my own. I have an Asus Maximus Formula with an extra NIC installed (tulip based). Every time i try using SlimbuildGUI to create my own Boot132CD, i'm never prompted for the 2 digit device at boot. I read others had similar issue and had to use a different burning software package (not DiskUtility) i've tried using Burn.app and the unbuilt burning function from SlimBuildGUI (no luck on any).

I'm really busting to get Snow Leopard Server installed on my Maximus Formula. If someone could direct me to an alternate method to create a working Boot-132 for SL i'd be over the moon. Or even better make one for me and include these 2 kexts

---> http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcn1za

---> http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5nknf

:D

Thanks.

Well what I am mostly interested in is to be able to actually install Snow Leopard without having to use an allready installed leopard. I meen, i want to do a clean installation with ONLY SL, I dont dualboot, dont want Winblows in me face stuff or Linux ( Even though i am a great linux fan, but OSX just is better for Me :D ). So i am interested into getting that to work. If I do an installtion from a Gm version or retail version I will nto be able to start up the system at all ofcourse since all teh patched kexts are not in place. I wil allso have a slight problem of installing lets say EFI and a bootloader if I now wnat to have any bootloaders at all ( dont want them cause I dont need them). Sooo. anyone have any idea? I want the SL to be my main installation.... Right now I am running a Vanilla kernel 10.5.8 installation on my main partition, I want the SL to be on that partition... how to go about that part?

Sooo here is my real question. i have only read about it but I want to be sure. IF I installed just a nice small cute little 10.5.7 on my USB hard drive ( is that possible, from all the posts onteh net it sems to be but I have not done this yett). Will I be able to Boot withthat one if I let my bios to read and boot from USB sticks for example. If this is possible then i could use this howto to install an actuall SL on my system on the main partition. Any ideas people?

Well what I am mostly interested in is to be able to actually install Snow Leopard without having to use an allready installed leopard. I meen, i want to do a clean installation with ONLY SL, I dont dualboot, dont want Winblows in me face stuff or Linux ( Even though i am a great linux fan, but OSX just is better for Me :D ). So i am interested into getting that to work. If I do an installtion from a Gm version or retail version I will nto be able to start up the system at all ofcourse since all teh patched kexts are not in place. I wil allso have a slight problem of installing lets say EFI and a bootloader if I now wnat to have any bootloaders at all ( dont want them cause I dont need them). Sooo. anyone have any idea? I want the SL to be my main installation.... Right now I am running a Vanilla kernel 10.5.8 installation on my main partition, I want the SL to be on that partition... how to go about that part?

Sooo here is my real question. i have only read about it but I want to be sure. IF I installed just a nice small cute little 10.5.7 on my USB hard drive ( is that possible, from all the posts onteh net it sems to be but I have not done this yett). Will I be able to Boot withthat one if I let my bios to read and boot from USB sticks for example. If this is possible then i could use this howto to install an actuall SL on my system on the main partition. Any ideas people?

I'm the same dude, i have no interest in Windows (or linux for that matter, even though also a fan), all i want is a clean install of Snow Leopard. We need a working Boot-132-CD for SL/Maximus Formula. If i could find another method to create a custom one i would another crack at it myself. All attempts i have tried have been a total fail (as said in my previous reply) the cd burns and boots but just keeps looping round saying boot.plist not found. I get no request for a 2 digit boot device (usually 80 for the 1st hard disk). I really need one making with these 2 kexts http://www.sendspace.com/file/vcn1za & http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5nknf

:|

Seems no Audio after all

:|

I've just followed your guide with no success. At the beginning when you say

"- Switch on your PC/Mac and boot from the DVD"

are you meaning boot from the Snow Leopard DVD, How are you doing this ??

once mine is finished and i reboot. normally where Chameleon would load, i'm just getting a flashing curser (i'm using everything from the files you provide). Any clues ?

cheers.

I've just followed your guide with no success. At the beginning when you say

"- Switch on your PC/Mac and boot from the DVD"

are you meaning boot from the Snow Leopard DVD, How are you doing this ??

once mine is finished and i reboot. normally where Chameleon would load, i'm just getting a flashing curser (i'm using everything from the files you provide). Any clues ?

cheers.

You need to boot from the DVD at the startup of the PC/Mac, and then install from the DVD to a HDD or USB Drive (Formatted with GUID Partition Table)

I'm still searching for a Audio Fix.

EDIT: Added Picture

You need to boot from the DVD at the startup of the PC/Mac, and then install from the DVD to a HDD or USB Drive (Formatted with GUID Partition Table)

I'm still searching for a Audio Fix.

EDIT: Added Picture

Which DVD are you booting from ??

I'm investigating about UUID... seems like I have a error in the console

unable to determine UUID for the host. Error: 35

There's an IONetworkingFamily fix for Error 35.

So how are you managing to boot Snow Leopard GM on your Maximus Formula ?? are you using Boot-132, if so do you have a link to the version you are using.

Cheers

I'm investigating about UUID... seems like I have a error in the console

unable to determine UUID for the host. Error: 35

Fixed! I'm updating the files and the tuturial. BTW you don't need to fix UUID because the system works fine, but I hate those errors.

There's an IONetworkingFamily fix for Error 35.

So how are you managing to boot Snow Leopard GM on your Maximus Formula ?? are you using Boot-132, if so do you have a link to the version you are using.

Cheers

I'm not using Boot 132, I'm using my MacBook. I've installed Snow Leopard from my MacBook and did all the steps in the tutorial. I had the error because I didn't set the UUID.

Fixed! I'm updating the files and the tuturial. BTW you don't need to fix UUID because the system works fine, but I hate those errors.

I'm not using Boot 132, I'm using my MacBook. I've installed Snow Leopard from my MacBook and did all the steps in the tutorial. I had the error because I didn't set the UUID.

Ah that explains it, cheers for clearing that up.

If I have a Leopard HD, should I unplug it when tinkering around with snow leopard to not confuse the bootloader?

I am going to use one OR the other, not going to dualboot, so whichever one works, the other will be erased.

Also, what doesn't work? Sound?

Also I'd like to compile in this thread a list of BIOS settings that work best.

If I have a Leopard HD, should I unplug it when tinkering around with snow leopard to not confuse the bootloader?

I am going to use one OR the other, not going to dualboot, so whichever one works, the other will be erased.

Also, what doesn't work? Sound?

Also I'd like to compile in this thread a list of BIOS settings that work best.

Mhmm can you explain better? Are you going to make a partition on your HDD?. BTW there's now problem, just install the bootloader to the Partition/HDD you installed Snow Leopard. The Bootloader I attached won't be a conflict for other bootloader.

Sound is the only thing that doesn't work (For now I hope)

Feel free to compile a list I'll add it to the 1st post to make it visibile

:rolleyes:

I have two separate harddrives, one has leopard, the other will be where I install snow leopard.

I will definately make a list and post my BIOS settings, but tomorrow, I'm working over night.

I have two separate harddrives, one has leopard, the other will be where I install snow leopard.

I will definately make a list and post my BIOS settings, but tomorrow, I'm working over night.

OK. So symply install the bootloader to the second HDD (Not the one with Leopard 10.5) and then boot from this HDD by pressing F8 when the BIOS comes up.

Good Work!