[Fixed] Can't boot Snow Leopard in 32bit mode!

Dr. Hurt

32 posts in this topic

This problem has been resolved with Chameleon 2 RC3

You still need do rebuild the extensions.mkext everytime you edit/add/remove a kext because SL does not do so automatically like Leopard.

Use Kext Utility 2.3.2 to make a full maintenance to your Extensions and Extra

OR do this in terminal

sudo -s
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

NB. Don't forget to use "arch=i386" instead of "-x32" in boot.plist for Chameleon

OLD FIX:

OcciJano told me to do this and it worked:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions
sudo Â kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions.mkext Â /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/NAME/System/Library/Extensions

Also, must put "-x32 boot-uuid=**************" in com.apple.boot.plist (******* mean boot volume uuid)

Thanks to OcciJano and riws

OcciJano told me to do this and it worked:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/NAME/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/NAME/System/Library/Extensions

Also, must put "-x32 boot-uuid=**************" in com.apple.boot.plist ******* mean boot volume uuid

Thanks to OcciJano and riws

Well, finally got my 32bit working...

turns out the problem was with the installation method

From OSinstall.mkpg -- no 32 bit, panic on boot

From DVD - 32 bit works just like 64 bit

probably had to do with permissions issue when installing from Leo...

But it works now

Fully 64 and 32 bit stable 99.9% (potential sleep issue, still working it out)

i have the same problem!

@ Dr. Hurt: from where did you run the kextcache? i don't even get into single user mode of my snow leopard install. i thought you can't run it from a running leopard install?

@ kramer2k: how did you install it from cd? what did you use to boot the cd?

i also tried installing chameleon 1.x over my 2.0rc1 install. nothing has changed.

i don't know why it omits the -x32 flag in the com.apple.boot.plist...

any ideas?

i have the same problem!

@ Dr. Hurt: from where did you run the kextcache? i don't even get into single user mode of my snow leopard install. i thought you can't run it from a running leopard install?

@ kramer2k: how did you install it from cd? what did you use to boot the cd?

i also tried installing chameleon 1.x over my 2.0rc1 install. nothing has changed.

i don't know why it omits the -x32 flag in the com.apple.boot.plist...

any ideas?

I booted in 64bit (-x64), and used terminal.

ok.. this causes chalemeon2 - i dont know why :-)

use this bootloader(chameleon 1) http://sacleocheater.hostoi.com/Utils/Bootloader2.dmg

Works perfectly

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :(

After getting nowhere with Snow Leopard and Chameleon2, this bootloader is what solved my kp and allow me to boot into 10.6.

Thanks again.

Shoot.

I played with the extensions in the /Extra folder and now I can't boot again. I get a KP in both 64 and 32 bit modes. After repairing permission of extra folder (using another leo install), I was able to boot twice then KP again related to IOPCI family??

Is this related to the bootloader or the AppleIntelPIIXATA or am I doing something wrong. The KPs seem to be too random. In 32bit mode I get no backtrace with the KP.

I still think all this is related to bootloaders. I'm going back to Leo till this matures a bit.

Shoot.

I played with the extensions in the /Extra folder and now I can't boot again. I get a KP in both 64 and 32 bit modes. After repairing permission of extra folder (using another leo install), I was able to boot twice then KP again related to IOPCI family??

Is this related to the bootloader or the AppleIntelPIIXATA or am I doing something wrong. The KPs seem to be too random. In 32bit mode I get no backtrace with the KP.

I still think all this is related to bootloaders. I'm going back to Leo till this matures a bit.

common error,

check these files

Fixes

Drivers

But does it support:

/Extra/Extensions/*.kext (or EFI partition)

/dsdt.aml

smbios.plist or com.apple.Boot.plist hacks to modify the "Hardware Overview" in System Profiler?

I'm using it now since Chameleon2 won't work for me and it definitely supports /E/E and DSDT. SMBIOS.plist doesn't appear to work, however.

Shoot.

I had a similar experience, and my error was that I had both fakesmc.kext and dmos.kext installed in my /Extra/Extensions/ Removing the latter did the trick here. Finally :rolleyes:

Note: I am using Chameleon v1.0.12 (boot file is 60288 bytes).

Shoot.

Hey Dr Hurt

I'm having a similar -x32 KP issue and can only boot into 64bit mode. I've changed a few apps to run in 32 bit mode and this makes it more stable but I'd like to try the 32 bit boot.

I ran your instructions but seem to have an issue with the UUID. I got this from the info pane in Disk Utility for the volume I have installed 10.6 to and then entered in com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags as:

<string>-x32 boot-uuid=708F9DFF-3775-34CF-9C90-AFB098659263</string>

Is this the correct place to get the string from and have I entered the syntax correctly in the plist file?

Reason I ask is that I get waiting for root device when I use it. Thanks.

Hey Dr Hurt

I'm having a similar -x32 KP issue and can only boot into 64bit mode. I've changed a few apps to run in 32 bit mode and this makes it more stable but I'd like to try the 32 bit boot.

I ran your instructions but seem to have an issue with the UUID. I got this from the info pane in Disk Utility for the volume I have installed 10.6 to and then entered in com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags as:

<string>-x32 boot-uuid=708F9DFF-3775-34CF-9C90-AFB098659263</string>

Is this the correct place to get the string from and have I entered the syntax correctly in the plist file?

Reason I ask is that I get waiting for root device when I use it. Thanks.

real_sinjon, I have the exact same problem as you. In "default" mode, x64, my install runs flawlessly with no KP. When I add the -x32 flag and boot-uuid to com.apple.Boot.plist, I get a KP. Extremely frustrating as I'd expect the 64 kernel to be more unstable than 32.

It seems sometimes RC3 doesn't solve the 32 bit issue:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1255504

It does. You just need to create a new mkext manually after you edit/add/remove any kext because SL does not do that automatically like tiger and leoapard.

first post updated.