[Fixed] Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Kernel Panic almost every method to boot

KariNeko

20 posts in this topic

Update:

Fixed, use PCEfi 10.1 instead of 10.2.

Original Post:

As I pointed in my other thread titled "Waiting for DSMOS... thats the best result I get with this motherboard, it's booting in safe mode and in default 64bit mode and geting stuck there.

So summing this up, my results where (my default mode is 64 bit):

When I boot in -x32 -x I get a Kernel Panic.

When I boot in -s I get a Kernel Panic when I try to run fsck command. :)

When I boot without arguments I get a Kernel Panic.

When I boot in -x I get stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS..." thing.

My install steps where:

1 Installed Snow Leopard to another drive from within Leopard.

2 Installed Chameleon-2.0-r431 to that drive.

3 Replaced boot file at that volume with PCEfi 10.2 ones.

4 Placed DSDT.aml at / of that partition. Also tried on /Extra.

5 Placed fakesmc.kext first at /S/L/E. Then at /E. Tried both versions of fakesmc.kext, and also dsmos Snow build.

6 chmod 775, chown 0:0 those files.

I'm also using nektas AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in either /E and /S/L/E as it seems that this motherboard has problems in AHCI mode and I have to set it to IDE Compatible mode.

Update

Replaced EFI Boot 10.2 with 10.1 and it changed a little for better but not that much:

(default mode 64 bit)

-x32

"Waiting for DSMOS..."

-x32 -s

Can run fsck, made the mkext file, then exited and the then again "Waiting for DSMOS..."

-s

Kernel Panic when running fsck manually

post-202089-1251037407_thumb.jpg

no parameters

Kernel Panic

post-202089-1251037511_thumb.jpg

Hi KariNeko!

My install steps where:

1 Format disc GUID within Leopard.

2 Install Chameleon, install chameleon snow leopard support

3 Installed Snow Leopard to another drive from within Leopard.

4 Install kext files, smbios, and enabler or any other solution for your GFX that works

5 use kextutility to repair your permissions on snow leo drive and delete mkext file from /E and System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

6 reboot with -x32 -f -v

In Bios use IDE Compatible!

i hope that works for you!

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | Intel Core i7 920 l 12 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHz | GTX 260 896mb RAM |

Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.0 10A432

P6T_Deluxe_V2_files.zip

luk1985 thanks for the answer.

In /Extra I have:

drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170 Aug 23 10:10 Extensions
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel   238 Aug 22 12:25 Themes
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  1732 Aug 23 08:24 com.apple.Boot.plist
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel  1546 Aug 23 10:09 smbios.plist

In /Extra/Extensions (permissions as 755 as kextcache complained before)

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 23 08:22 AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 23 10:10 PlatformUUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug 22 22:15 fakesmc.kext

At / I have my DSDT.aml

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel	 46601 Aug 18 18:02 DSDT.aml
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel	   204 Aug 23 07:51 Extra

So guessing that those things are OK I went to try repairing permissions at my Snow Leopard partition.

The only way I suppose to run Kext Utility to a not booted volume is to drag n drop the corresponding volume to it, so I did that:

Start working: Sun Aug 23 15:07:12 ART 2009
Detected ... MAC OS X "Leopard".

Task: Pack "/Volumes/Snow"
	to "/Volumes/Extensions.mkext"

Repair Permissions for "/Volumes/Snow" ... Done.
-- Total processed: 201103 files for 929 sec.
		  kext: 322
		plugin: 75
		bundle: 583
		   ppp: 11

Search "Extensions.mkext" ... Not Found.

Packing new "Extensions.mkext" ... 
Sorry, could not create "Extensions.mkext"

Is that correct?

okay, so basically the way I got it to run on my p6t deluxe v2 is to install this bootloader

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...Bootloader2.dmg

install it and replace the "boot" file on the root of your snow leo drive

as this loader doesn't load anything in /extra, shove all your custom stuff to where it needs to be

-custom com.apple.boot.plist into /Library/preferences/systemconfiguration

-custom kexts into system/library/extensions

boot using that bootloader with flags

-x64 -v

should boot fine.

use the kext utility 2.30 FULL version (it's somewhere on the forum)

run it and have the extensions cache rebuilt.

now you can just install chameleon 2 RC2 and use as you normally would

the problem is that all chameleon 2 based bootloaders can't create mkext files in snow leopard, and most will kernel panic if there isn't a mkext in snow leopard, so what we're doing here is temporarily booting using chameleon 1012 to make the mkext and then going back to chameleon 2 rc2 for normal use.

I'm using it right now the way I've described and it works great.

also for extensions get rid of that AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext it's known to cause kernel panics as well.

I'm attaching a pack of custom extensions that I used which for these purposes you will need to throw into system/library/extensions for booting with chameleon 1012.

I know it's not "vanilla" but because of the crappy bootloader situation we have to do these dumb workarounds.

exts.zip

These puppies have everything working including this crummy old ps/2 keyboard. only thing that doesn't work is ATA optical drives (the fat ribbon cable ones) as there's no 64 bit driver for them yet. You can use that AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext for that purpose if you want but it will only work in 32 bit and cause panics in 64 bit.

I'm going to just shell the heck out for a sata burner drive. this one's really old anyways and they're dirt cheap.

If you also ever get this working, get back to me on your sleep to reboot situation. Can any of you guys put the system to sleep, wake from it and then reboot properly? If i reboot after resuming from sleep i get a black screen, and have to manually hit the reset button.

I got it working. :D

First I was using Chameleon-2.0-r431 with PCEfi 10.2.

Later I updated then (well downgraded) to 10.1 and it was better as I didn't get any more Kernel Panics at 32 bit, I was "only" getting "Waiting for DSMOS..." thing.

luk1985 told me to run Kext Utility, so I did it to the Snow Leopard from within Leopard, it took a lot of time, don't know why.

Then I booted with -x32 -v waited again and a little after the "Waiting for DSMOS..." the Desktop came up. :)

A few minutes later I ran Kext Utility from Snow Leopard 32bit and then I could boot in -x64 mode without any KP or "Waiting for DSMOS..."

So I really don't know what did the trick, if it was running Kext Utility at first or it simply was using -x32 with EFI 10.1 and not 10.2.

Now I can run Snow Leopard in -x32 and in -x64 modes, I need to test it more time to see if it's stable.

Files I'm using are

/DSDT.aml

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/smbios.plist

/Extra/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

I'll try to install Snow Leopard again because I'm getting many weird stuff like:

a ) Terminal not working, it load but I don't get the command prompt as it complains about audit something and the it stays there with text displaying [Process Completed]

b ) Disk Utility doesn't work repairing permissions, complains about Installer package not found.

c ) Weird permissions at many directories: Kext Utility couldn't change permissions at files/directories, also I couldn't make changes to many kext files using Path Finder and using administrative rights.

Dojomann, I can't get rid of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (netkas one) because it's the only why for not getting waiting for root device on my motherboard, AHCI doesn't work, this is the only way for now.

Without any disabler is I can Sleep S3, but I can't reboot directly or after a sleep, so no reboot working.

Thanks luk1985 & Dojomann for your help!

If you also ever get this working, get back to me on your sleep to reboot situation. Can any of you guys put the system to sleep, wake from it and then reboot properly? If i reboot after resuming from sleep i get a black screen, and have to manually hit the reset button.

Now with SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext at /E/E I get the same results as you.

Before installing those 2 kexts I couldn't even reboot before sleeping.

hi everyone. thnx for all the info you provided

Unfortunately I'm still stuck at some point.

I have to install Snow on the same drive as Leopard but in another partition.

I've installed Snow on this new partition from Leopard and then i've installed Chamaleon and all the necessary stuff. The problem is that when I boot from that dual partition drive I'm booting trought the Leopard Chamaleon, and if I select the Snow Leo partition, i get an instant KP, whatever flag I put.

I've tried setting the right UUID in boot.plist and smbios.plist but no luck.

Thnx for your help and sorry for my bad english..

hi everyone. thnx for all the info you provided

Unfortunately I'm still stuck at some point.

I have to install Snow on the same drive as Leopard but in another partition.

I've installed Snow on this new partition from Leopard and then i've installed Chamaleon and all the necessary stuff. The problem is that when I boot from that dual partition drive I'm booting trought the Leopard Chamaleon, and if I select the Snow Leo partition, i get an instant KP, whatever flag I put.

I've tried setting the right UUID in boot.plist and smbios.plist but no luck.

Thnx for your help and sorry for my bad english..

sroddy, have you replaced the boot file that Chameleon installs with the one from PCEfi 10.1? You should also have an DSDT.aml and Extra at the corresponding Snow Leopard partition. Also on each com.apple.Boot.plist the corresponding partition UUID so that Chameleon knows witch Extra to load.

sroddy, have you replaced the boot file that Chameleon installs with the one from PCEfi 10.1? You should also have an DSDT.aml and Extra at the corresponding Snow Leopard partition. Also on each com.apple.Boot.plist the corresponding partition UUID so that Chameleon knows witch Extra to load.

Ok, i got a little more further. I've installed Chamaleon on a EFI partition and now i'm able to boot in single user mode in -x32. Panics in -x64 and when i boot in -x32 -v I get a 'SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully' error that keeps displaying every 30 seconds. I'm trying to understand if this sis a AHCPI-related issue or a graphic one (i have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 which works with ATY_Init.kext under Leopard...

Edit: if i boot in IDE compatible mode i get a 'still waiting for root device', do i need a specific kext to fix this?

Ok, i got a little more further. I've installed Chamaleon on a EFI partition and now i'm able to boot in single user mode in -x32. Panics in -x64 and when i boot in -x32 -v I get a 'SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully' error that keeps displaying every 30 seconds. I'm trying to understand if this sis a AHCPI-related issue or a graphic one (i have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 which works with ATY_Init.kext under Leopard...

Edit: if i boot in IDE compatible mode i get a 'still waiting for root device', do i need a specific kext to fix this?

if you boot in ide you'll need this.

http://netkas.org/?p=125

make sure ur sl drive is not #5,6 or u'll still have waiting for root

i have it running w/ an internal sata drive, did you set your sata mode to IDE and Compatibility instead of Enhanced in the bios?

tried using a EFI string instead of ATY_Init.kext but still no luck...has anyone menaged to start snow leopard from an internal sata drive??