NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

the new Chameleon RC3 boot file didnt work for me, it kernel panicked on boot. any idea why?

forgot to backup my RC2 boot file, feeling a little over confident i guess :), so i used MacDrive in Win 7 to copy it back over and all working now.

Same here, I get a kernel panic before the bootloader countdown disappears. I think it must be a graphics card (we both have ATI cards) issue. But I got the thing to boot: Just use an USB stick with the RC3 Chameleon bootloader. Then select your hard disk and it boots. Of course the first thing i did after the successful boot process was putting in the old boot file. And Time Machine didn't work neither with the new bootfile and without Platform UUID.kext!

So right now just wasted time...

Yes I'm not absolutely sure, but at least in 2 cases. Before that I never had a kernel panic in SL. Now I try to shut down and reboot and I'll see if I won't have kernel panics. The problem for me is that the kernel panics are not really traceable, the hackintosh does not crash right after terminating sleep, it can last some hours... At the moment it's just running fine... (without using sleep)

If anybody can check my DSDT if it's appropriate for my hardware, that would be great!

Thanks!

Had another kernel panic as the Hackintosh woke up yesterday (with Chameleon RC3)...

Thank you, GTX 275 is too expensive for me, but I think I'll settle for a 260 GTX, those seem to work while still being quite good. With i5 and UD3R I should be good to go, right ?

No need for FW interface... I'll need a WiFi card though, I have to look at that !

Be very careful with WIFI, only few cards are reported to work on OSX.

I bought one that works without the need of any non vanilla kext, it's a dlink DWA-542 Rangebooster N.

EDIT: This card worked well for me with leopard, and should be no problem in SL 32 bits mode (the mode I use for anything else that just experimenting).

I read that some guys had problem with atheros based chipset in 64 bits mode, so careful if this is your main target system ...

Edit: Turns out I only replaced ATIX2000.kext with the one from 10.6.1

For everybody with a 4850 and garbled graphics, I've found that replacing the ATIX2000 and ATI4800Controller kexts with the ones from 10.6.1 and adding a LegacyATI4800 kext works quite well. Not sure what's up with the newer kexts. I meant to narrow this down a little more, but once it was working I kind of forgot about it :unsure:

Using 10.6.2 kexts, my 4850 has blank screen -- turned out I found it is setting my LCD screen as "sleep" and it do not turn it on, no matter what I do.

Using 10.6.1 kexts (ATIRadeonX2000, modded ATI4800Controller -- included 0x94421002 -- and ATISupport -- needed for proper X2000 load), my 4850 has garbled screen.

You're a lucky one.

How do I install this thing? I only found an archive with some files inside, no installer...

Using Finder, look inside Chameleon folder for a file named "boot" -- not boot0, boot1, boot1h, just "boot".

Then, using Terminal, type "sudo cp " (note the blank space after "cp"), drag "boot" file from Finder window to Terminal window (it will "type" full path to the "boot" file), and then finish the Terminal command with a " /" (again, note the blank space before the slash), then press Enter. Type your user account password, reboot and enjoy Chameleon 2.0 RC4.

For all who want enable the power button this change also work for the P55 motherboards:

in the "Device (PWRB)" section of dsdt replace

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

with

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Sleep is now working on my computer. But I get kernel panic if I do one of the following things.

1st: I have an USB drive plugged in and let computer sleep. The kernel crash 3 seconds after wake up. The disk removal message is shown.

2nd: The computer was at least one time in sleep since I have turned it on. Kernel crash immediately when I plug in an USB disk.

3rd: Monitor already sleep and I put the whole computer to sleep. Monitor stay in sleep by wake up and computer also hung up.

I get also a really long list of missing smc keys (fakesmc)

Have anyone a solution for the kernel panic problem or know where I can get the many missing smc keys ?

I don't have a new Mac Pro or know somebody who has one

Had another kernel panic as the Hackintosh woke up yesterday (with Chameleon RC3)...

I too have been noticing random KP after wake (still) with Chameleon 2 RC3. I have been thinking of trying RC2 again (amongst other things) on my test drive.

The other suspects are:

My Vantec multi card reader, as it seems to still be on even after shutdown (even in W7) because the 2 red lights remain active.

My monitor (and it's USB hub). Oddly enough on my AMD system when I got my Samsung 24" monitor it killed sleep. I had read other with similar findings with their monitors.

My 4870HD. Sometimes after wake the fan will randomly throttle up tp 100% for 5 seconds (like at boot).

Maybe my DVD drive (Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F).

Perhaps my network; I have my iMac and another Hackintosh set up with filesharing and auto connect.

After deciding to go with Rekursor's DSDT d/l from Tony's blog I was able to not use a modified IOPCIFamily.kext to get my pesky USB devices to sleep. The extra 10 lines he had in his DSDT over mine did the trick (yay!). I also decided to change my Mac model to iMac11,1 and not use the MacPro4,1 fix (needed in 10.6.1); I still get all my pstates and turbo and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in benchmarks. So yay to that too. I even decided to place PlatformUUID.kext back into extras. Still, I get random KP after wake. I can often sleep and wake numerous times (even have it snooze overnight) without KP, then it just happens.

Just tried Chameleon RC4- here are my initial findings:

1. Has the Nehalem patch as mentioned in my modified PC-EFI 10.5 post. This enables P55 support without the 'system too fast' issue.

2. Breaks GraphicsEnabler-Yes for my GeForce 9400 GT. This works fine with the PC EFI 10.5. I'm pretty sure that PC-EFI recognizes cards better- don't know why yet.

3. Still no love for the GA-P55M-UD2 with EthernetBuiltIn=Yes. ;) I still have to use RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.

4. Works without PlatformUUID.kext- no errors with Time Machine or SuperDuper!. I still have to use this kext with PC-EFI 10.5.

5. In About this Mac, CPU still Quad-Core Intel Xeon- but with the RC4 the i5 shows up as 2.67 instead of 2.7Ghz.

My guess is that netkas will update PC-EFI to 10.6 in the next few days incorporating the changes. What are everyone else's findings?

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/cha...-supported.html

Ok, I'm on it, I am currently merging what I find good and not present in the latest RC4 from PCEFI105 (not much)

BTW, I *found* where to modify the RC4 to make your 9800GT work again, but I need your exact device ID please to fix it (please report what device id is given by lspci (u can use EvoToolX for that) for your 9800GT card) ...

Also, I would need your exact gfx device name confirmation from your gfx card just to confirm your card model is exactly 9800GT.

I'll release a merged version with the bin & src asap.

Has anyone had success with an ASUS board?

I'm still pretty much stuck with my Asrock one (mainly I just need Sleep and Audio, I don't really mind not having speedstep working) and since Asrock is an ASUS subsidiary, I'm hoping/assuming there's some similarity with their P55 boards.

Using 10.6.2 kexts, my 4850 has blank screen -- turned out I found it is setting my LCD screen as "sleep" and it do not turn it on, no matter what I do.

Using 10.6.1 kexts (ATIRadeonX2000, modded ATI4800Controller -- included 0x94421002 -- and ATISupport -- needed for proper X2000 load), my 4850 has garbled screen.

Ok, here's a little more detail on what I'm using:

The cards PCI ID is 0x94421002

I'm using the modified boot file from tony's macosxsnowleopard.zip,

md5sum /boot
add52dcf89cf32b7d5b684b1e2a48fc6  /boot

• ATIRadeonX2000 1.6.0.92 (7152) - This is the version that ships with 10.6.1, but mine is possibly modified... 0x94421002 is listed in the IOPCIMatch key
  • LegacyATI4800Controller 9.0.2 - Fairly sure this is from netkas.org
  • ATI4800Controller 1.6.6.25 (7429) - Unmodified, this is the retail 10.6.2 kext
  • ATISupport 1.6.6.25 (7429) - Unmodified, again, this should be the retail 10.6.2 kext

Sorry I'm a little hazy on the details of what I did to get everything working... but that's what's on my system and working right now. I updated my sig so you can see my hardware as well.

Ok, I'm on it, I am currently merging what I find good and not present in the latest RC4 from PCEFI105 (not much)

BTW, I *found* where to modify the RC4 to make your 9800GT work again, but I need your exact device ID please to fix it (please report what device id is given by lspci (u can use EvoToolX for that) for your 9800GT card) ...

Also, I would need your exact gfx device name confirmation from your gfx card just to confirm your card model is exactly 9800GT.

I'll release a merged version with the bin & src asap.

Rekursor-

Thanks and I look forward to testing your RC4 patches- but I probably should have been clearer- I'm still using NVEnabler64 for my TV-OUT so I'm not worried about graphicsenabler as of now. I have a 9400 GT 1024gb. I probably should have gotten a better card, but when I was shopping I was on a super budget. I'm happy with its performance with NVEnabler- (100% with mirroring), so no big deal I guess having 1 extra additional kext- I'm about functionality mainly- Apple updates don't ever remove bad kexts, so I'm pretty much satisfied.

Rekursor-

Thanks and I look forward to testing your RC4 patches- but I probably should have been clearer- I'm still using NVEnabler64 for my TV-OUT so I'm not worried about graphicsenabler as of now. I have a 9400 GT 1024gb. I probably should have gotten a better card, but when I was shopping I was on a super budget. I'm happy with its performance with NVEnabler- (100% with mirroring), so no big deal I guess having 1 extra additional kext- I'm about functionality mainly- Apple updates don't ever remove bad kexts, so I'm pretty much satisfied.

I'm just curious to see what's wrong with the rc4 gfx detection because if it happened to you, it could happen to others.

Please give your gfx pci device id that you can find in lspci (i.e: via EvoToolX), I need it to understand what is going on. In RC4 they added new devices in the nv detection table, in particular for the case of the 9400GT, there are 2 different id's matching the same card, it also happens for 9800GT, at least.

these id's for 9400 GT are :

0x10DE042C and 0x10DE065B which of these is yours ?

EDIT: LOL! the new RC4 does not work either with my 8400GS!

And I would like it to work as I don't need any TV output and was just happy with the default injection.

Now, it should be easier to understand why it is not working anymore :D

Same here, I get a kernel panic before the bootloader countdown disappears. I think it must be a graphics card (we both have ATI cards) issue. But I got the thing to boot: Just use an USB stick with the RC3 Chameleon bootloader. Then select your hard disk and it boots. Of course the first thing i did after the successful boot process was putting in the old boot file. And Time Machine didn't work neither with the new bootfile and without Platform UUID.kext!

So right now just wasted time...

hmm guess i wont use it yet. doesnt fix the CPU showing as an i5 either, one of the issues from a perfect hackintosh. also need to get auto sleep and wake on keyboard/mouse sleep fixed which i have no idea how to do. fiddled around with the sleep S1 and S3 settings in the BIOS but no avail.

Got my P55A-UD3 rig assembled tonight. Downloaded Tony's iso. Burned it to DVD (CDs kept failing to burn on my MBP).

Loded it in the machine. It acts like it is booting from the disc... "cdboot loading" a couple of other boot lines and then spins through single letters and symbols. Screen goes black. Then up pops the Gigabyte splash screen again. Does this endlessly.

What have I done wrong?

Herb

Got my P55A-UD3 rig assembled tonight. Downloaded Tony's iso. Burned it to DVD (CDs kept failing to burn on my MBP).

Loded it in the machine. It acts like it is booting from the disc... "cdboot loading" a couple of other boot lines and then spins through single letters and symbols. Screen goes black. Then up pops the Gigabyte splash screen again. Does this endlessly.

What have I done wrong?

Herb

Tony (and herbm) I had the exact same thing happen. tried the regular disk and the none dsdt disk.

perhaps it's one of the extra bios settings?

any thoughts?

I'm just curious to see what's wrong with the rc4 gfx detection ../..

OK, I found the bug so here's the GraphicsEnabler Fix for Chameleon2 RC4:

Cham3RC4_GraphicsEnablerFixed.tar.gz

Just replace your RC4 boot by my modified one,

should get the best of both worlds (PCEFI10.5 + ChameleonRC4) ;)

The bug had nothing to do with the device IDs and therefore should impact more than just few of us,

It was related to PciRoot false assumption that it is always (0x0,0x0), and changed it so that it will take in account the automatically determined device_path, while keeping the new possibility to override it (with PciRoot RC4 option) if necessary.

Try it !

^ how do i install that exactly? is that the contents of the boot file? when i installed the original RC4 boot file the boot screen had a new chameleon logo, the same as in the default themes folder.

In the doc subdirectory, open the README file, then read the instructions.

Basically, you can copy the boot file located in the sym/i386 subdirectory to the root of your system disk, it should be enough.

Basically, you can copy the boot file located in the sym/i386 subdirectory to the root of your system disk, it should be enough.

I get back my ethernet PCI info in the system profile, thanks a lot!!!! :rolleyes:

thanks didnt even see the readme. tmx86 just posted the boot file so i was confused.

do you know how to enable wake from sleep via USB? or is it just wake via power button for now? ive tried the S1 and S3 power setting in the BIOS. thanks

OK, I found the bug so here's the GraphicsEnabler Fix for Chameleon2 RC4:

Cham3RC4_GraphicsEnablerFixed.tar.gz

Just replace your RC4 boot by my modified one,

should get the best of both worlds (PCEFI10.5 + ChameleonRC4) :(

The bug had nothing to do with the device IDs and therefore should impact more than just few of us,

It was related to PciRoot false assumption that it is always (0x0,0x0), and changed it so that it will take in account the automatically determined device_path, while keeping the new possibility to override it (with PciRoot RC4 option) if necessary.

Try it !

Works for me- and my UUID errors are fixed- thanks rekursor- this is my new boot! :)

Works for me- and my UUID errors are fixed- thanks rekursor- this is my new boot! :(

You're welcome :)

Next step is making future 10.6.3 even work better!

Meanwhile, I started to record a song for my band with Logic Pro and it worked just great so I guess we can wait a bit now as our systems are extremely useable now IMHO :D

Works for me! But Sleep still didn't work. If i try to send my rig to sleep (via Finder) i got a restart. Setting all checkoxes in energy saver and sending the rig to sleep via finder shortly blacks the screen and directly thereafter tells me that i have put in a dvd and asks what i want to do with it (but there is no dvd in the drive). It may have to do with the Highpoint-card with 4x1,5TB WD Green Drives (RAID5, this is where my Homedirectory life's). While not absolutely essential for me, it would be nice to have sleep.

Busspeed still gets reported as "533", CPU-Speed is OK now with 2,67. My GeekBench 64 Value is around 7800 without overclocking. Still evaluating if i should go with mild overclocking or if i leave it as is now. With my 300GB VelociRaptor the machine is very responsible now.

Should i throw away my PlatformUUID now and delete GraphicsEnabler="Y" (currently i have a 8800GT with 512MB VRAM in my GA-P55M-UD2) ??

Only problem i have is a bit of mouselagging when running itunes or quicktime. Other then that the machine is rock-solid, still have to see my first KP!

Many thanks to tonymac, rekursor, bansaku and all who contributed and still working to refine the x86-experience for all of us P55er's! THANKS! :D

Works for me! But Sleep still didn't work. If i try to send my rig to sleep (via Finder) i got a restart. Setting all checkoxes in energy saver and sending the rig to sleep via finder shortly blacks the screen and directly thereafter tells me that i have put in a dvd and asks what i want to do with it (but there is no dvd in the drive). It may have to do with the Highpoint-card with 4x1,5TB WD Green Drives (RAID5, this is where my Homedirectory life's). While not absolutely essential for me, it would be nice to have sleep.

I can't help much on 64 bits sleep as I only use this mode (on a dedicated partition) for experimenting & testing purpose, but did you test in 32 bit mode ? This mode is the one used presently by genuine macs because of several compatibilities issues with existing 3rd party software.

Works for me! But Sleep still didn't work. If i try to send my rig to sleep (via Finder) i got a restart. Setting all checkoxes in energy saver and sending the rig to sleep via finder shortly blacks the screen

It seems you use an dsdt dump that was made with an older or newer bios version than your current is. I had the same experience with my computer.

I made a DSDT file from the F4 beta bios, updated my bios later to F5 and a bit later added tonys code to that DSDT file made from F4 bios. The result was:

I selected sleep from Finder, Monitor went to black, Harddisks and Fans turned off for two seconds and than, reboot.

Since I have made a DSDT dump with F5 bios and edited the dsdt file again this issue has gone.

But I get kernel panics some times by wake up, sometimes not. Also not a good solution yet, because I can not really sure, whether computer wake up with out problems.

Should i throw away my PlatformUUID now and delete GraphicsEnabler="Y" (currently i have a 8800GT with 512MB VRAM in my GA-P55M-UD2) ??

I don't need it with the last posted Chameleon RC4. You will need GraphicsEnabler.

do you know how to enable wake from sleep via USB? or is it just wake via power button for now? ive tried the S1 and S3 power setting in the BIOS. thanks

Only S3 sleep turn your Main PSU really off. Wake from power button should work without any modifications. To be able to put computer to sleep with power button, you need to change something in DSDT file. Details are in one earlier post from me.

To be able to wake via USB keyboard you must change the USB section in DSDT file. So that USB stay on power in sleep state. Tony described that.