Carl's Dell Dimension 8400 iDeneb V1.4 10.5.6 SATA Resolved

carlnunes

4 posts in this topic

Dell Dimension 8400 P4

- 3.2ghz 4gb@533mhz

- IDE Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A

- SATA - WD 7200rpm 160GB (base system drive)

- SATA - Apple 7200rpm 250GB (time machine drive)

- SATA - WD Raptor 10000rpm 36gb (scratch disk)

- ATI X1900XTX 512MB PCIe 2.0 X16

Install choices and why

EFI? : Having a Pentium Family 6 processor means no code runs native; so I said the hell with it an opted for the iDeneb package. I'm really glad I did.

Tips

I simply booted from iDeneb DVD and installed to local SATA drive.

*Always "Slow Roast" your DVD ISO's this will save you time; burn at 4x or 8x; and don't use your machine while it's burning.

Resolved Since Last Version

Network - Ethernet - DHCP was crippled and static IP was the work around

SATA drives now recognized

My previous post on iDeneb V1.3

iDenbe 10.5.6

X11

Audio - AC97Audio

Chipset - ICHxFixed

Kernel - Voodoo 9.5 (Voodoo 9.5 requires SeatBelt Fix, Version 9.7 claims to have addressed this issue.)

Fix - SeatBelt Fix

Network - Ethernet - AppleBC5751

NO VIDEO - I couldn't get this thing to boot with the included ATI x1900 patch

Instead I added the kext post install, from before, and everything is lovely!

Post Install Patching

Thanks to the Hackintosh IRC ninjas for the refresher course on kexts and the sweet lil script for post kext installs.

I have attached an archive of my files used to edit kext files and use "terminal commands to install kext" file.

UPDATE:

6 weeks later; system is solid while multitasking PS, Coda, COD4, FireFox, Remote Desktop; all at the same time!

carlsdell8400kext1056.zip

• 1 month later...

OK i've installed ideneb 1.4 osx 10.5.6 on my dell 8400 with P4 2.8 processor i have an ati x800se card 1 gig RAM 80GB WD sata drive. i also have a netgear USB WiFI.

I've followed your instructions but i get lost at the kext post installation, I've used kexthelper b7 to install stuff before but not the way you say through terminal.

It does boot up i'm having a problem with "valid video device could not be found for playback" when i tried to play a DVD.

I don't have a way to check sounds so i don't think there working though because i went into the system preferences sounds tab and tried to click the alert sounds and nothing came out my speakers.

With my wifi USB how do i activate it?

Also i wanted to know if the screen resolutions were limited to 1024x768? i have a widescreen monitor.

any help would be great thank you very much.

I've installed iPC on my PC i built myself(gigabyte board core 2 duo 3.0 processor ati3870 onboard ethernet) with out any problems at all. So i figured i'd give this old Dell a shot so my son could have a little HTPC setup.

Hey! First post here. I am trying to install this on the exact same computer minus the graphics card, mine in an nVidia Geforce 6400. I believe that's irrelavent to the problems I'm having. The first time I booted I used the -v -f commands and it kept getting hung up on the message:

osx86 AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fpcidevice=

So... Assuming this has something to do with the ethernet card I just decided I'd reinstall without it and worry about that post-install. I erased the drive and did another install with only the kernel and chipset drivers. This time it gets hung up at:

NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

This is my first time installing OSX on anything and any help would be much appreciated!!!

• 7 months later...

Hello all, i'm looking for person succeed to install iDeneb 10.5.7 on Dell Dimension 8400.

I've passed few hours last night and if someone can help me, it will be great.

I follow Carl's guide but have few issues :

- System hang with kernel Voodoo 9.5 + Seabelt fix

- USB mouse and keyboard don't work

- ATI 2400 HD PCIe doesn't work with DVD's kext

I will probably publish a guide when I've done.

Thanks ;)