[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

Vanilla retail 10.5.7 install with Chameleon on a separate partition for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

Thread Status

Since the release of Snow Leopard (10.6), I now consider this an old thread of mine, and due to all my focus now being aimed at 10.6 I haven't been updating this thread and to be honest, I probably won't in the future very often, if at all. Any latest news / developments for this motherboard can be read from the front page of my 10.6 thread.

News

14th October 2009 - 15:20

Gigabyte have released GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS F11b

DieBuche has reminded me about this - So to keep this thread up to date here's a copy my post from my 10.6 thread.

At last, the beta bios for this mobo is out and includes ACHI v1.20E to bring us up to the same level as most of the other Gigabyte boards. The main benefit is a faster boot time. I have posted (in my 10.6 thread) how to go about the update here. Or as Z4g0r has mentioned you can use the @BIOS utility if you have Windows installed.

2nd October 2009 - 10:45

Chameleon v2 RC3

The release of Chameleon v2 RC3 can be used with 10.5 and you can upgrade to it by downloading the binaries from the chameleon website and replacing the boot file on your Chameleon partition with the new boot file from the i386 folder in the RC3 binaries.

CPUInjector.kext

For anyone interested in having the' About This Mac' window correctly identify their CPU and you have a CPU which Apple uses in there machines, then DigitalDJ has come up with a new CPUInjector.kext which works as advertised. The main benefit of this is it allows you install apps such as Silverlight, without having to remove the versioncheck script as your machine will now report the CPU correctly.

Previously I used BJMoose's solution by changing the AboutThisMac.string file. But this is no longer needed (providing you have a processor that Apple uses in it's machines). Have a read of DigitalDJ's post here and click the DOWNLOAD 1.1 to get the kext. Change the data as described in the thread to match your processor, add it to /E/E and reboot. (If you have applied BJMoose's fix in the past then you'll have to undo that).

Re: 10.5.8 Update. Please see the bottom of this post for instructions for updating.

There are various guides here on Insanely showing how to install retail Leopard using EFI bootloading. All I have done is put to use the good work of others and pieced together a fresh vanilla installation of retail 10.5.7 for the GA-EP45-DS3L and created an illustrated step by step PDF guide which you can download and follow. So thanks to everyone on this forum and in the OSX86 scene for creating the tools and evolving the installation process so it is now this easy to have a Macintosh on your PC. And thanks to everyone who has followed, installed, tested and helped to make this install more complete.

This guide is an alternative to a previous guide for this mobo by lensboard which still works great today. The difference with this install is that the system installed from the retail DVD remains untouched and any extensions/drivers required for this motherboard are added to the Chameleon's /Extra folder. If you want to add drivers etc. directly to the retail install then feel free but don't ask for support here.

Most of the work in this guide involves setting up Chameleon and if you haven't used it before then it might take a little understanding to get your head around it, but once you have, it's easy. And to see the benefits of this install, once completed, I recommend installing the Mac OS X 10.5 Retail DVD on to the backup partition to use for testing future updates etc.. All you need to do is install it, update to 10.5.7 and reboot, selecting it in Chameleon at boot. It just works!.

This guide was made for my system using the following hardware. GA-EP45-DS3L Rev 1 BIOS F10. Intel Core2Duo 7300 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR 800Mhz, nVidia 8800GT 512MB, 2 x 500GB SATA II Hard Drive, SATA II DVD-RW, USB Keyboard & Mouse. If you have any additional hardware it might be worth unplugging it for now until the system is installed.

Although I have tried to make this guide as simple as possible, it still requires some knowledge of OSX86 and the willingness to research, read and learn. Before posting problems on this thread, please ensure you have read through this thread and completed the install guide PDF.

Reports have come in for this guide successfully installing to GA-P35-DS3L, GA-EP45-DS3R and GA-EP45-UD3L too, though I can't support those as I don't have them.

What can be achieved with this guide?

I am currently running a complete 10.5.8 system installed from a retail OS X DVD, with sleep, shutdown, restart, time machine, bonjour networking, video and audio (although the audio is the weakest link, the basic stereo output works great. You need to upgrade to using DSDT for better audio). I also use a real Mac and the difference between them, apart from the blazing speed of my hack, is absolutely nothing.

Complimentary thread for building a DSDT option for this install

After completing this guide and you have a fully working system, you can progress to using a DSDT.aml. The benefits of this is better audio without the need for VoodooHDA and it's dependencies, to give one option to enable sleep in 10.5.8 (see bottom of this guide for details), and to fix the CMOS reset bug which will rear it's head in 10.6. I have put together a guide for building a patched DSDT.aml for this mobo. So to keep this thread clean you will find the new thread here.

Latest updates to the PDF guide Last updated 26th July 2009 - 22:09

• Bonjour fix (which gives the added bonus of enabling automatic sleep).

• Updated to include Chameleon v2 RC2.

Requirements

• Your HD's and optical drive must use the SATA interface and make sure BIOS SATA AHCI mode is set to AHCI.

• A purchased retail Mac OS X install DVD (not the restore DVD you get with Apple hardware).

• USB keyboard & Mouse

• Internet connection

• A little patience

Known issues with this install

• The 3.5mm jack mic input not being recognised.

• Distorted audio when waking from sleep. (This can be rectified after waking from sleep, see here, or by using DSDT).

• A rare occasion of a USB device failing to be recognised. Uplugging & re-plugging the device can fix this.

There are three install methods

1 - If you already have a system up and running and a spare HD

Download the Install Guide PDF and the support files and they will take you through all the steps you need to get installed.

2 - If you are starting from scratch - Boot CD

Download my Chameleon Boot CD iso and the Install Guide PDF. Burn the image to a CD and follow the instructions below.

3 - If you are starting from scratch - Modified OS X disc

If for some reason the Boot CD and any workarounds don't work for you then you can always seek out a modified OS X disc for example, iDeneb or iAtkos. You only need a basic install from these, don't worry about audio, perfect video drivers etc.

Download the Install Guide PDF and the support files from here and use the modified OS X disc to get to disk utility to allow you to partition your hard drive as per the PDF guide then install on the backup partition. When you have a system running, you can then follow the install guide PDF from here to install from the retail OS X DVD on the Macintosh partition with the view to eventually deleting the modified OS X install. Don't ask here where to get a modified OS X disc from, and don't ask here for any support for the modified OS X install.

Boot CD Instructions

Boot from GA-EP45-DS3L CD

1 - Press Enter.

2 - Press F8 to go to boot options.

3 - Eject Boot CD and insert Mac OS X Install DVD.

4 - Press ESC to force Chameleon to rescan drives. (You will see 8 or so EBIOS read errors, that's normal).

5 - When you see 'Mac OS X Install DVD' then press Enter.

Boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD and go to Disk Utility, then follow Step 1 in my install guide PDF to format/partition the hard drive.

6 - Install retail Leopard 10.5 to the Macintosh partition.

(At the end it will say it's failed because we don't have a bootloader yet but we can ignore this and restart).

7 - Once installed, reboot.

8 - Boot from the GA-EP45-DS3L CD again.

9 - Press F8 to go to Chameleon's boot options.

10 - Select the partition you installed retail Leopard 10.5 on to.

(Some people have had a problem here, where my boot CD fails to pick up the newly installed OS X to the Macintosh partition. If this happens you can use the generic boot132 to complete this step. What you need to do is boot from it and when presented with a boot prompt, press ESCAPE, then type 80 for your 1st hard disk. You'll then be presented with a list of partitions. See if your Macintosh partition is in the list, if so, you should be able to boot it from there (So select it now and boot it). When successfully booted in to the retail install (from the Generic Boot132 CD) you'll see the intro video (but you won't have sound). Go to Step 12 follow the instructions to update the system, reboot then try loading again from my Boot CD at step 14. If this doesn't work then use the generic boot132 CD again.

11 - OS X will boot with the intro video (and with sound).

12 - Download & update to 10.5.7 with software update (If you're new to this, I recommend you stick with this for now).

(You can choose 10.5.8 but if you do, be prepared to learn about building a DSDT.aml file for you system to enable sleep).

13 - Reboot for it to install.

14 - Boot from the GA-EP45-DS3L CD again.

15 - Press F8 to go to Chameleon's boot options.

16 - Select partition you installed retail Leopard 10.5 on to.

Note: for me, first time it booted the new 10.5.7 install it failed, but I rebooted the new 10.5.7 by choosing verbose mode from Chameleon's boot menu (after pressing F8 in Chameleon, select the partition you have installed on to, press down arrow, then select Boot Verbose).

17 - Once loaded, open Boot CD from the finder and work through my install guide PDF from step 4 by using everything in 'Steps to follow after OS X is installed' folder.

Files Last updated 26th July 2009 - 22:09

NOTE: Do not attempt to follow this guide or use any of these files on a real Apple Macintosh. See Here

Install Guide PDF v2.3 (4.12MB)

Install Guide Support Files v1.01 (38K)

GA-EP45-DS3L Boot CD v1.04 (21.02MB)

These are the kexts I had in /Extra/Extensions for 10.5.7 after following this guide.

GA-EP45-DS3L Kexts v1.01 (1.84MB) You'll need to change the UUID-Key in UUID.kext to match your MAC address - See Install Guide PDF

Updated 4th August - 19:31. I had forgotten to add IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext for correcting the orange icons.

If anybody follows the guide then please report your successes, failures etc. And finally, I only know what I have learnt so far, and if you have any tips, suggestions, better ways of doing things then please share it.

10.5.8 Update.

Go ahead and use Software Update but before you do....

remove IOPCIFamily.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions and rebuild Extensions.mkext first.

This is because Apple has updated IOPCIFamily.kext which we used to get Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext working from E/E. When the update is complete and you have rebooted (it will reboot twice), you can add the new IOPCIFamily.kext along with IONetworkingFamily.kext from /SL/E back in to /E/E and then rebuild your Extensions.mkext. This was always going to be an issue where dependencies are added to /E/E.

Note regarding Sleep when using 10.5.8

Apple changed the way the kernel interacts with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with 10.5.8 and the kernel now waits for a response from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement before it puts the system to sleep.

So you have two options.

1 - use a DSDT file and remove the block from Disabler.kext for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so it runs freely.

2 - Add SleepEnabler.kext (by pista7) along side Disabler.kext in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. SleepEnabler sends the kernel the correct message to allow it to sleep even though AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is disabled. See thiagomorales' post for more details.

Chameleon Themes

After your hard work of building your hackintosh, did you know that you can personalise your install by changing the Chameleon theme? For a while now myself and others have been creating different themes and just thought I would mention it incase it wasn't well known.

You can find them at voodooprojects' forum at the Theme Park:

h ttp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/board,7.0.html

Many Thanks

:P

Thanks for this guide!

I had been using lensboard's guide, until I updated to 10.5.7 and blew it up. That just gave me a reason to switch to the new Chameleon.

Your directions were easy to follow and the screen shots were an excellent way to verify what I was doing. It was great, after the initial setup to Chameleon, to install onto another partition, update to 10.5.7 and then just boot into it with everything working! I even got to hear the intro music.

Thanks again for all of your hard work. :thumbsup_anim::rolleyes::)

Hi kings_freak. That was quick!

Thanks for letting me know it worked for you without problems. And yes, I agree it makes a change to be able to hear the intro music at the welcome video of Leopard.

:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks a lot Blackosx, you have made a better job!

You are a ;)

now i'm focused on chromatic and on the mic. I looking for spdif that is know. i'm looking for some hardware in spdif or the usb way isnt bad...

i update my old post with tests.

Thanks a lot Blackosx, you have made a better job!

You are a ;)

now i'm focused on chromatic and on the mic. I looking for spdif that is know. i'm looking for some hardware in spdif or the usb way isnt bad...

i update my old post with tests.

Hi Z4g0r. Good to hear from you and Thanks. :)

Let me know how you get on with the spdif.

EDIT: Good job with updating your old post. Some good information here. :(

Great guide! Thanks again worked like a charm.

I'm running:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Not sure on the revision or BIOS firmware version, I forgot to check)

4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 Mushkin Ram

640GB WD HDD (AHCI SATA)

Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N (AHCI SATA)

Leadtek GeForce 9600 GSO 384 MB (Same as 8800 GS 384MB)

Intel E8200 Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz at stock speeds.

@blackosx

This is great! i've used it already on my EP45-DS3L....thinking of probably using a boot-132 iso. Hope it works! :P

Have you tried that method yet btw?

Hi danaurel. Thanks for your report of a successful install.

I think a boot-132 iso is a step towards a more automated procedure. I have been testing with a Chameleon Boot CD which I have built but am still working out what to include as the two dependencies for VoodooHDA, IOAudioFamily & OSvKernDSPLib belong to Apple? Any ideas on this?

Let me know how you get on.

Great your pdf manual

real "Perfecto" !!!

A question: isnt too big the 1Giga partition for Chameleon? (Efi is 500mb)

1 giga is good for a bootable partition and more more more kext

Its an idea to make bootable Chameleon for full indipendence, at least with a mini ubuntu or darwin or something like and leave the lab partition only for test drive on macos. What u think about?

Great your pdf manual

real "Perfecto" !!!

Thank you. (I like your Perfecto quote, lol) :happymac:

A question: isnt too big the 1Giga partition for Chameleon? (Efi is 500mb)

1 giga is good for a bootable partition and more more more kext

Yes, I agree. An actual EFI partition is 200Mb. But as I wanted to use Disk Utility for creating the partitions for simplicity, then it only let me go as small as 1Gb, and with hard drives as large as they are today I didn't mind. But you could ideally make a smaller partition with GParted or something similar.

Or when you are comfortable with Chameleon and have tweaked and set it just as you want it, you could always install it to the EFI partition? then remove the Chameleon partition altogether?

Its an idea to make bootable Chameleon for full indipendence, at least with a mini ubuntu or darwin or something like and leave the lab partition only for test drive on macos. What u think about?

Sorry Z4g0r, I am not too sure what you mean. Would you mind explaining it differently?

Yes, I agree. An actual EFI partition is 200Mb. But as I wanted to use Disk Utility for creating the partitions for simplicity, then it only let me go as small as 1Gb, and with hard drives as large as they are today I didn't mind. But you could ideally make a smaller partition with GParted or something similar.

is this one thing that i mean something like a 'bag of tricks' bat its necessary to load an ambient. (i boot gparted from cd separately is good to have it in)

Or when you are comfortable with Chameleon and have tweaked and set it just as you want it, you could always install it to the EFI partition? then remove the Chameleon partition altogether?

Sorry Z4g0r, I am not too sure what you mean. Would you mind explaining it differently?

No. The Chameleon its like a shell bootable. It live in a "partition" with the benefits of a partition. It is not only a boot loader. if u choose to start with it "no kernel" message appear, or something like this. Now a menu or a little core in that partitison for maintenance, partitioning, filecheck et similia are good.

PS: Sorry for my english, isnt oxfordian, but a bit californian where i was.. :)

is this one thing that i mean something like a 'bag of tricks' bat its necessary to load an ambient. (i boot gparted from cd separately is good to have it in)

No. The Chameleon its like a shell bootable. It live in a "partition" with the benefits of a partition. It is not only a boot loader. if u choose to start with it "no kernel" message appear, or something like this. Now a menu or a little core in that partitison for maintenance, partitioning, filecheck et similia are good.

PS: Sorry for my english, isnt oxfordian, but a bit californian where i was.. :)

Are you wanting to maybe use the Chameleon partition for not just the bootloader but for also a tools install, like gparted?

If so, then it sounds a great idea but I wouldn't have a clue on how to achieve it?

Are you wanting to maybe use the Chameleon partition for not just the bootloader but for also a tools install, like gparted?

If so, then it sounds a great idea but I wouldn't have a clue on how to achieve it?

Exact. A partition is a potential ambiet of work, why dont use it?

I think is possible to do, because in the big partition when you check it in the boot Chameleon looking for a core to boot ...

I hate to study... now.. i'm doing too thinghs, but is a good job for the w/e.

But if people of Chamelon read it, it is a free idea ... for all...

my motto is "The development comes through the exchange of knowledge. An open source world is a world free and smarter" :)

Exact. A partition is a potential ambiet of work, why dont use it?

I think is possible to do, because in the big partition when you check it in the boot Chameleon looking for a core to boot ...

I hate to study... now.. i'm doing too thinghs, but is a good job for the w/e.

But if people of Chamelon read it, it is a free idea ... for all...

my motto is "The development comes through the exchange of knowledge. An open source world is a world free and smarter" :thumbsup_anim:

Good idea Z4g0r. But I think it is something far beyond what this topic is about.

But maybe you could take you idea to the developers of Chameleon here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/

;)

Thank you very much for such a wonderful and perfect guide !!!

As you know this is the third time I try it, but this time I have followed your step step guide and EVERYTHING runs perfect, including sleeping.

I have an nvidia 9600 GT 512 Mb and this time I have directly made my com.apple.Boot.plist and put it in chameleon's extra folder without adding Nvdarwin 1.2.5 as before !!!

So I only can say THANKS FOREVER !!! :(

As you know this is the third time I try it, but this time I have followed your step step guide and EVERYTHING runs perfect, including sleeping.

I have an nvidia 9600 GT 512 Mb and this time I have directly made my com.apple.Boot.plist and put it in chameleon's extra folder without adding Nvdarwin 1.2.5 as before !!!

So I only can say THANKS FOREVER !!! :D

Hi macastragalos ^_^

Thanks for trying this guide again and letting me know it has also worked for you.

So you have managed to get your 9600 GT working with this vanilla install when you used to have to use Nvdarwin? Well done!...

So I only can say THANKS FOREVER !!! :)

In the 10.5.7 isnt necessary to put anithing, the 9600 is knowed directly from apple

post-417552-1246922262_thumb.jpg

Hi macastragalos :P

Thanks for trying this guide again and letting me know it has also worked for you.

So you have managed to get your 9600 GT working with this vanilla install when you used to have to use Nvdarwin? Well done!...

Yes, I don't know why but the first time I tried your method, as well as lensboard's one I could not get my 9600 gt to work right only by adding gfx strings, but with the additional help of NvDarwin 1.2.5.

This time, as I read at your guide, I decided to test only with gfx strings and It ran perfect.

By now, Z4g0r has said it should work directly without adding anything. I'm not sure of it, because yesterday when I reinstalled everything again, the graphics card did not run with CI & QE until I added gfx strings in chamaleon's extra/extensions folder. But I will check it again to clear hesitations.

Greetings ;)

....zip ... zip ... zip

By now, Z4g0r has said it should work directly without adding anything. I'm not sure of it, because yesterday when I reinstalled everything again, the graphics card did not run with CI & QE until I added gfx strings in chamaleon's extra/extensions folder. But I will check it again to clear hesitations.

Its correct macastragalos. Nothing to add like kext or driver or something like. The EFI string (generated with 'Gfx strings' in OSx86 Tools 10.0.150 read my old post or mine solution about 9500 that is the same procedure for 9600) must be in the Chameleon apple...plist file.

Sorry for my english and not clear answer.

first, thank you for the awesome tutorial, it is very well put together and easy to follow.

however, i am having some small issues.

first, i have had great success running 10.5.6 retail install for months, and i decided to update my system to 10.5.7 yesterday following this method. i ended up just doing a reformat and clean install for good measure. everything is great except that i cannot get time machine to work now. i am getting the "Time Machine could not be configured. The built in network interface could not be found" message when i select my external HD in the time machine preferences. I had no issue with Time Machine on my previous 10.5.6 install.

also, system profiler shows "No Built-in Audio", i followed the audio portion of the guide so I am a bit lost here as well.

any pointers as to how to clear this up?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

my system is as follows:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Intel Q6660 Quad-Core

4 GB OCZ 800mhz DD2 RAM

EVGA 8600 GTS 256MB

first, thank you for the awesome tutorial, it is very well put together and easy to follow.

i am getting the "Time Machine could not be configured. The built in network interface could not be found" message when i select my external HD in the time machine preferences.

Hi robotfactory. Thanks for trying out the guide.

For Time Machine, Can you check your System Profiler / Software / Logs / system.log for the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35

If it's present then can you double check the change you made to the UUID -key in the UUID.kext?

For the Audio, what you have is correct, as with voodooHDA on my system, system profiler doesn't show any audio either. But it shows up in the sound preference pane.

Hope this helps?

:wacko:

Hi robotfactory. Thanks for trying out the guide.

For Time Machine, Can you check your System Profiler / Software / Logs / system.log for the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35

If it's present then can you double check the change you made to the UUID -key in the UUID.kext?

:)

Hi, would you please clarify what you mean by checking system.log

I have the same problem with Time machine as robotfactory and I would like to fix it .

Thanks in advance :)