[GUIDE] QE/CI with ATI Radeon 2400XT 0x94c1

Giorgio_multi

40 posts in this topic

ATI Radeon 2400XT (94c1)

For leopard 10.5.5

1) Install latest drivers package from http://nvinstaller.com (9f23 as of now): (before installing 9f23.pkg delete your ATIRadeonX2000.kext and every natit.kext, Atyinject.kext, Nvinject.kext)

2) Open EFIStudio and press "Device Path" icon, write "display" into the first textbox and press "Get Path" button, press "To Clipboard" button, close window

3) Still inside EFIStudio select ATI HD2400 (should be selected as its the first of the list), press "Add Device" the Editor appears

4) In the editor replace /plist/dict/key node value (default value is PciRoot(0x0.......) with the one you have in the clipboard (just select old value and paste it over); if the two strings match, skip this step

5) Still inside the editor replace every "Iago" string occurrence (you could find other kind of framebuffers like "Lamna") with "Megalodon" string and every "IagoParent" string with "MegalodonParent" string

6) Still inside the editor press "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button to insert the EFI string in the system

7) Change ATIRadeonX2000.kext to include HD 2400 XT Prod.ID and Ven.ID (0x94c11002)

8) Wait for kext cache to rebuild, fix permissions with disk utility

9) Reboot

CI/QE should now be enabled

For Leopard 10.5.6

1) From a clean installation or upgrade of any 10.5.6 version install this: http://tinyurl.com/9xbf3a

2) Open EFIStudio (if you don't have, download it) and press "Device Path" icon, write "display" into the first textbox and press "Get Path" button, press "To Clipboard" button, close window

3) Still inside EFIStudio select ATI HD2400 (should be selected as its the first of the list), press "Add Device" the Editor appears

4) In the editor replace /plist/dict/key node value (default value is PciRoot(0x0.......) with the one you have in the clipboard (just select old value and paste it over); if the two strings are matching, skip this step

5) Still inside the editor replace every "Iago" string occurrence (you could find other kind of framebuffers like "Lamna") with "Megalodon" string and every "IagoParent" string with "MegalodonParent" string

6) Still inside the editor press "write to com.apple.boot.plist" button to insert the EFI string in the system

7) Delete from /System/Library/Extensions Natit.kext

8) Change ATIRadeonX2000.kext to include HD 2400 XT Prod.ID and Ven.ID ( 0x94c11002 ): put ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the Desktop, then delete it from /System/Library/Extensions; click with right button on ATIRadeonX2000.kext and choose show package content, double click on Contents an open info.plist with text editor; find the string with IOPCIMATCH, next string contains the id of the videocards, put here your device id (0x94c11002) and save, then install this modified kext with kexthelper.

9) Reboot with -v -f

CI/QE should now be enabled

For Leopard 10.5.7:

VERY IMPORTANT: with AMD CPU, with Leopard 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 this method works only with anv kernel, with voodoo kernel there is the screen freeze.

Download this: zip.gif 2400xt_10.5.7.zip ( 383.25K ) Number of downloads: 47

From a clean installation of Leopard 10.5.7 or an upgrade:

1) Delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and install the one downloaded with kexthelper

2) Overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration with the one downloaded (you need root privileges); if you have chameleon 2.0 RC1 you can also overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder.

3) delete natit.kext (if You have it in /System/Library/Extensions)

reboot with -v -f

QE/CI should be enabled.

This method works also with Leopard 10.5.8. With AMD CPU this method works only with anv kernel, with voodoo kernel the video freeze.

For HD2400 Pro change in the info.plist of ATIRadeonX2000.kext 0x94c11002 with 0x94c31002

Giorgio

• 4 weeks later...
For Leopard 10.5.7:

Download this: zip.gif 2400xt_10.5.7.zip ( 383.25K ) Number of downloads: 47

From a clean installation of Leopard 10.5.7 or an upgrade:

1) Delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and install the one downloaded with kexthelper

2) Overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration with the one downloaded (you need root privileges); if you have chameleon 2.0 RC1 you can also overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder.

3) delete natit.kext (if You have it in /System/Library/Extensions)

reboot with -v -f

QE/CI should be enabled.

For HD2400 Pro change in the info.plist of ATIRadeonX2000.kext 0x94c11002 with 0x94c31002

Giorgio

thanks a lot for solution..2400 pro pcie works perfect with dual head and full accelleration on 10.5.7

• 3 weeks later...
It did work for correct resolution (1680*1050) But it didnt work for qe and ci

I use 10.5.7 and 2400xt (94c1)

Have you deleted ATRadeonX2000.kext before installing the new one with kexthelper?

Have you chameleon 2.0 (if yes, have tou overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra Folder?

Have you deleted other injectors (natit.kext?)

Giorgio

Hey :gun:

I did all three. Nuances as follows: I am not sure i do have chameleon 2.0 but if its boot loader then it must have been. Actually i already followed the 10.5.7 instructions that you gave on tutorial. Last different thing is i couldnt get reboot with -v -f command. Its locked up when i entered this command to terminal.

Hey :)

I did all three. Nuances as follows: I am not sure i do have chameleon 2.0 but if its boot loader then it must have been. Actually i already followed the 10.5.7 instructions that you gave on tutorial. Last different thing is i couldnt get reboot with -v -f command. Its locked up when i entered this command to terminal.

Post an image og the screen at boot

GIorgio

how to reboot with -v -f....???

i type in terminal but nothing happen....

n what should i do if after i install this .kext n the vga crash

i don't know how to fix it at startup

At boot time type F8 and then -v -f

Giorgio

thanks a lot for solution..2400 pro pcie works perfect with dual head and full accelleration on 10.5.7

Hi! For me doesn't work! Could you help me please? I have Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCIE. It works with quartz extreme?? Please reply! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! For me doesn't work! Could you help me please? I have Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCIE. It works with quartz extreme?? Please reply! :(

Have you modified the info.plist of ATIRadeonX2000.kext with your id (0x94c31002)?

Which version of Leopard (10.5.7, 10.5.8?)

Giorgio

Have you modified the info.plist of ATIRadeonX2000.kext with your id (0x94c31002)?

Which version of Leopard (10.5.7, 10.5.8?)

Giorgio

Hi! I'm using iPC 10.5.6. I upgraded to 10.5.7 then 10.5.8. I want to use iMovie '09. When I used 10.5.7 I did all instructions. And doesn't worked. What is my id?(ATI HD 2400 PRO PCIE). :(. thanks!

Hi! I'm using iPC 10.5.6. I upgraded to 10.5.7 then 10.5.8. I want to use iMovie '09. When I used 10.5.7 I did all instructions. And doesn't worked. What is my id?(ATI HD 2400 PRO PCIE). ;) . thanks!

Your id is 0x94c31002

Giorgio

It is not solution in my case.

From Windows:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C1&SUBSYS_357018BC&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C1&SUBSYS_357018BC

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C1&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C1&CC_0300

I has modifying plist, reboot and half of my screen is black with artefacts. 

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hi guys sorry if I am asking a dumb question! I followed the guide and it appears to have worked fine for me although it still shows an XT even though this is a Dell 2400 Pro. Sorry about the crappy monitor I gave the nice one to my daughter go figure. Anyway my question is does the MAC now have to always boot into the -v -f mode or can I turn this off and boot normally and of course how do I turn it off? Yeah, Yeah I know after you are done laughing let me know. :)

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

PHL 15PF9936:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Hi Giorgio,

I think I succesfully implemented your directions in order to enable the ATI 2400 XT (0x94C1) card on my Dell Vostro 200. However, I get a corrupted display (I can guess that OS/X loads thanks to the typical apple theme colors, and because I'm able to log in blindly)... I must reboot in single user mode to delete the ATI kexts in order to be able to boot correctly... in 1024x768 mode...

I run OS/X 10.5.8 (vanilla)

I deleleted all others test I did

Any idea to get this one working ?

Thanks for your help.

Pagaille

Is there any solution for ATI HD2400xt to work with SnowLeopard. I've try this method but just scrambled screen (half black, half white).

I'm trying on Snow, if I'll find a method, I'll post it.

Actually I have Core Image OK, but not Quartz Extreme (strange thing).

Giorgio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thx Giorgio for this nice how-to .. it solved my "AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement timed out" thingy .. and it is now starting up :)

for the hd2400:

as a newbie, it was not trivial for some things, so for the following newbies:

to change the info.plist of ATIRadeonX2000.kext 0x94c11002 with 0x94c31002 in the d/l one, show content and then you'll find the info.plist

the other thing is in step 2) overwrite the com.apple.boot.plist, on my system there is no such plist. anyway i putted the file there and when i rebooted wiht F8 -v -f , i saw that it was working.

however my QE isnot working (tried to open iMovie) yet ..

also, i have chameleon 2.0 but i cannot find the extra folder, even when i search for th plist --> it returns the one i d/l .. well i found one in / folder (my hdd is called OSX, so it is located OSX/com.apple.boot.plist) if someone can shine some light, well thank you.

i am happy that my osx is starting up ;)

edit: some specs:

Chipsetmodel: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Beeldscherm

Bus: PCIe

Sleuf: Slot-1

Breedte PCIe-baan: x16

VRAM (totaal): 256 MB

Fabrikant: ATI (0x1002)

Apparaatcode: 0x94c3

Revisiecode: 0x0000

ROM-revisie: 113-B1480A-236

Versie EFI-besturingsbestand: 01.00.236

Beeldschermen:

Beeldscherm:

Resolutie: 1024 x 768

Diepte: 32-bits kleur

Core Image: Software

Hoofdbeeldscherm: Ja

Synchrone weergave: Uit

Online: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Niet ondersteund

Beeldschermconnector:

Systeemsoftwareoverzicht:

Systeemversie: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)

Kernelversie: Darwin 9.5.0

Opstartvolume: OSX

Opstartmodus: Normaal

Computernaam: Hackintosh

• 2 months later...

I've been struggling with my HD2400Pro for some time now. Now, I have hardware that has been problematic. I had been using using this graphic card on another motherboard under a Zephyroth 10.5.2 install and it worked flawlessly... but then the mobo's SATA controller mysteriously stopped working & I replaced the mobo with what I have now. And my Zephyroth install didn't work properly with it and reinstall attempts failed with various panics & other problems.

I decided to go with a more up to date distro and tried a number of 10.5.x but had trouble with all of them until finally tried iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 and everything worked... except the HD2400 ^_^

Well I learned a lot trying to get that going. The best I could get was the "blank blue screen with pointer" problem where, after wake from sleep, I'd get the full desktop, but at the wrong resolution. Upon opening the display preferences, it would briefly flash to some other resolution, then the display would mess up And I'd have to hit option-command-eject to restart the system. I then skipped release 1.5.1 & went to iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 where I learned a whole bunch about different kernels as the default would panic at boot on the CD. AnV turned ot to be the most stable for me but still no joy w/HD2400.

I tried a number of fixes I found in my researches but still no luck. Now I just tried following this guide (very clear step by step guide, good one, Georgio!) and now I get scrambled video when it comes up. I can get it up in safe mode but of course only 1024x768 etc. The scrambled looks kinda cool though though :angel: :

100_1406-640.jpg

So I have restored to the previous state of no kext loaded and continue to search for a solution...

• 4 weeks later...

10.5.8 => got the same picture like dtkenmo with the ATIRadeonX2000.kext from the download installed.

- Yes i have delete the old one before

- yes i have change the id into 94c31002 (i have the HD2400pro)

- yes i have replace the com.apple.boot.plist

- no i dont have any natit in the system

- anv is my default kernel (9.7.x)

but it looks like the picture dtkenmo postet. any ideas?