Leopard 10.5.7 on EVGA X58 SLI Guide PREP!

8 posts in this topic

HI!!!

I just finished building my computer with an EVGA x58 mainboard (132-BL-E758-A1) with two empty hard drives and a DVD burner all connected with SATA. I DONT have a retail disk of Leopard, HOWEVER, I do have the ISO/DMG which I plan to burn with a DL disc if i can get a temporary installation of ideneb (with 9.6.0 kernel?) running. I'm sure this disc could then work to installing a perfect copy of leopard onto my computer.

What I'm planning to do here, in a nutshell, is gather any advice people can post here and then work on a standalone EVGA x58 tutorial for those to follow in our footsteps.

so i guess a couple questions to put things out of the way:

FIRST Q: boot-132 Everyone knows about the boot-132 option located here. My question is, Will the original newb boot-132 iso disc work to boot a retail version of leopard?

SECOND Q: efi partition For the most part I believe I'll use munky's guide here to prepare the efi partition but when i get to phase 4, step 3. I'm STUCK!!! because I don't know what extentions to install! then in phase 6 I'm supposed to install the kexts! where do i find these and which one works for the board?? see next question.

THIRD Q: kexts So far I've found only these kexts for onboard sound linked and provided courtesy of airwalk776, but after looking extensively through the forums and searching for "EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip" i still can't find the general kexts. What about the extentions?? Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide me with the right links?

FOURTH Q: updating leopard retail to 10.5.7 Can i do it during the boot-132 in the beginning?

FIFTH Q:bus ratio. I read all over that i need it on 20 to start it up, but then somewhere else i read its unnecessary if you have 10.5.7 running?

SIXTH Q: chameleon2 RC once i have 10.5.7 retail running, installing this later is a piece of cake. right? and then switching between mac os x, xp and windows 7 (thoses are the systems i would like to run) should be piece of cake too right? what confuses me is if i use munky's guide theres a bootloader based on dfe that is set up to multiboot. Will this conflict with chameleon?

SEVENTH Q: vanilla. I'm reading everywhere vanilla this, voodoo that. but just to be CERTAIN. vanilla means an unmodified copy of mac os x is installed right? so when people say vanilla kernel 9.6 that also means an untouched/unmodified copy of the original mac os x kernel right? if i make this tutorial i plan to make it very clear that it will be a clean copy of mac os x not an ideneb or kalyway or etc.

I know this forum topic title could be misleading, but its really true. all of these questions are up so I can start building a collage of information leading to a successful vanilla install of mac os x 10.5.7 on an evga x58 board. I WILL write a tutorial if i can get my evga x58 board working. please help out!!

on a latter note I also have two gtx 260-216s that I would like to use as well. I know for a fact that there has been successful driver installations of them. If anyone knows. is there a difference between drivers and kexts? like can i get the nvidia gtx 260 kexts to run as soon as it starts up? with the efi partition?

Lastly. Yes and no. I haven't even put a disc yet into my brand new built computer. it is litterally sitting next to me waiting to embrace the macintosh hackintosh world first hand. This is why i feel like after i get it running on this new computer I can then be ready to write up a tutorial. heck. even a youtube video. cause it was os-devirginized on mac os x. so i need your help guys. I'm using my system to help me and future people!! corny i know but honestly and sincerely i believe that would be the best way to "give back" to the Mac OSx86 world.

Cheers and feel free to post or pm anything you might no!,

Alan aka ihavearedcouch

ps: its true, i do.

Just thought I'd post a couple private messages I had with jplee, digital dreamer and airwalk (jplee and airwalk both managed a successful vanilla installation on the EVGA X58 mobo):

Jplee4907:

Hello jplee4907,

I've been reviewing your posts since you also have an evga x58 board like me. I was wondering if you had finally managed to install 10.5.6 vanilla and all. Heck, if you even managed to update to 10.5.7? (have you managed to get sound working finally?)(did you use a IDE or SATA drive? Does it matter?)

I'm in the process of building my i7 computer right now, and I wanted to know what tutorials you followed, in order, to install hackintosh.

I've been searching the forums and google for about 3 weeks for a stand alone tutorial to do it on an evga x58 board but no luck.

So I'm messaging you, asking you in what order you followed the tutorials to what points, and what kext files you ended up installing on the efi.

If I get a successful boot installation, I WILL write up a tutorial (crediting you) for the evga x58 board, so that many people could follow in our tracks.

I know snow leopard is just around the corner and that I should probably wait until then, but I really need a macintosh system within the next 2 weeks for class assignments (I'm using the school computers now, but as the projects get more complicated I would like to work at home).

I hope this message wasn't of any trouble to your reading, and that you'll have the time to explain to me what you did.

Cheers,

Alan

PS if I don't get any response I guess the next step will be to search the forums for your name and read every post. peace!

Hi

Sorry for late reply...I didn't catch it till today!

Yes, I do have an evga x58 sli board with ATI 3870. I've got it back in Jan. 09.

Actually, I just followed Digital Dreamer's X58 Guide on Tutorial in the insanelymac forum.

It was a beautiful installation except the sound. But I got the USB sound card which worked fine at that time.

But on that tutorial later there was someone guided the sound installation for EVGA x58. I can't find it now. But it was there under the DD's guide thread.

So, just follow the DD's guide then you will be OK.

DD's guide has been continually updated and the installation has evolved around for better.

I installed his version around March. Then, I have'nt updated for a while because I'm in S. Korea now. I will be back in the US later this month, then I'm sure I will try his latest version.

I don't know why, but DD's guide exactly works with Giga EX58 board and EVGA X58 too.

Please, don't credit me. I just followed DD's guide.

You can easily find his guide under the Tutorial of The forum.

Let me know if you get a clean install!

Thanks and Good Luck!

JP

Digital Dreamer:

Hello Digital Dreamer,

Since you've written a fantastic tutorial I'm sure you're quite busy with questions from numerous users. I'm one of them. I was just wondering if your tutorial will work flat out with the evga x58 board (i know sound doesn't work but I found the fix for it) and/or if there is anything at the top of your head I should keep in mind when doing the installation.

Also if you could tell me the difference between Standard Retail Install and Boot from EFI. Isn't efi present in both configurations? I'm confused.

Thank you for your time,

Alan

Hi, Alan,

Yes, the script will work fine with the EVGA boards. Several EVGA users have used it already. You're correct that sound it a bit different, but I actually have the EVGA audio kexts in the script's Audio repository in the "EVGA_Audio_Kext" folder.

The only difference between the Standard Retail now and EFI boot is where the actual files are copied. So, it's basically a cosmetic thing now. I used to have a boot-132 setup where the kexts were copied to S/L/E, so you didn't have a vanilla install. But, with Chameleon 2 the setup has changed.

In the Standard Retail install, the Chameleon support files (Kexts, boot.plist, mkext file, etc) are in the /Extra folder at the root directory of your boot drive. The EFI partition plays no role in this setup. In the EFI boot setup, those files are copied to the invisible EFI partition, also in a /Extra folder.

So, basically, one setup has the kexts easily visible to the user for easy access and management. The other setup has those files hidden away, which makes management via Terminal mandatory. It's also more difficult (to most users) to know what's going on or what files actually got copied, etc.

Hope that helps.

MAJ

Hello Airwalk,

My name is Alan and I have the exact same board as you and after browsing these forums for a good 3 weeks I still can't find a stand alone tutorial to get hackintosh working on a evga x58 board.

I really want to install 10.5.7 and i have two blank drives I'm ready to use.

So far I feel like i have two choices to get started: first choice being using the boot132 disc to install leopard retail. the second choice to install ideneb (9.6.0 kernel right?) first and then use use that to get the drives ready.

so far I've found the audio kexts that you used, but what other kexts did you use as well? See, I've noticed that you posted in a Gigabyte board topic but with questions on your evga board. did you end up using the gigabyte kexts?

Honestly, I have my system completely ready and prepared with no operating system installed and sitting in the middle of my carpet (I just finished building it), and I'm looking for a place to start to get hackintosh on it asap for class.

some more questions:

do you have dual boot? with chameleon?

do you think you can just send me all of your kexts? (except for the graphics card) I'm using two evga gtx 260s and I know they should work with the right drivers, don't know how to do that though..

I really want to write out a tutorial after I get this done. Because I know this evga board is a really good board, I feel its even better than the gigabyte board but the only reason why people are not buying it is because the gigabyte board has an long list hackintosh successes, but on newegg the board has tons of negative reviews with problems here and there.

so evga ftw, but to get that done an easy tutorial has to be made first, and I'll be glad to be the first, with your help, if I can get my system working with a retail version of leopard and efi.

do you think you think you can help me?

-Alan

Hello Alan

Couple things:

I have

i7 920

EVGA x58 SLI MOBO

6 gig OCZ Plat. Memory

EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC

Western Digital 1 TB Black Edition

Seagate 500 GB

CoolerMaster V8

Zalman GS1000 Case

System is OC'ed to 3.9 running at 21 degree idle and 65 on load.

I have running 10.5.7 with full QE/CI, ethernet, sound, vmware working with VT enabled. Sleep is not working correctly.

As far as boot loader I use Chamleon 2.0 RC 1 and for dual booting I use the bios to boot a specific HD.

1st thing you need is a working mac and an image of 10.5.6 retail. Also if you have a spare USB HD about 10 GB is all you need.

Download DD's script from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Download Chamleon 2.0 RC1

Download OSX86tools

I will email you all the kext later on tonight when I get home from work.

*On your working mac plug in your USB drive. mount the OSX retail dmg or just use the DVD .

*open Disk Utilties

*format the USB drive as GUID and OSX journalized name is Mac Restore so no confusion later on.

*run DD's script, select the correct drive "mac restore," only run the following choices nothing more.

Set partition active.

Install Retail disk run retail install (forgot exact words)

Close DD's script.

Open OSX86Tools

If you have Retail 10.5.6 then you need to install the 9.6 voodoo kernel and the system.kext that goes with it. If you have a 10.5.7 retail dvd then no need to install any different kernel.

If you use 10.5.6 retail install dvd then you must also put in a kernel flag of "busratio=20"

How its time to install boot loader. download the Chameleon 20.RC1 installer. and change install location to USB drive, and keep all other default settings.

After you complete these steps your usb drive will boot (or should boot)

Plug it into your i7 machine and boot from USB.

Once you boot you USB drive you can repeat these steps on your install SATA drive in the i7 machine. I will email you all the kext later on tonight which will get all your hardware working correctly. and they should be installed into /Extra/Extentions

So far thats what I have, the last question I'm waiting for is to install ideneb because I don't have a mac with a working dvd drive and its usb 1.0. Anyone know if I can boot from a firewire drive on the pc? because then I CAN do it with another mac, otherwise I gotta figure out how to do it with ideneb, and after mutiple attempts at choosing different customization options during installation I still won't boot. Anyone know the exact customization options to select for the EVGA X58 board? Also i'm using a gtx260 which isn't supported in 10.5.6 so I select nvidia inject or darwin? what about the mb size? any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Cheers,

Alan

Some more PMs between jplee4907 and me:

Hey jplee4907!

thanks for the advice, I'm about to get started however I also noticed that you managed to install a distro on your system too. am i correct? What settings did you use to get this part done? I've tried multiple installs but everytime it reboots i get the gray screen for a half a second and then it reboots. I just need to do this so i can use DD scripts for the actual vanilla install.

Thanks!

Hi

Yes, you will need to install from a distro to use DD's guide.

I used Kalyway 10.5.2 with Toh kernel. Also, I used iatkos 10.5.5 with voodoo kernel with each separate try.

Important thing is to get the basic setup without vanilla kernel. That' it.

Also, after successful install, if it won't boot, you need to set boot flag "busratio=20" when prompt on booting. (use F8)

But I also read information with 10.5.6 with 10.5.7 vanilla kernel works ok, which i never tried.

If you go to a thread on "Buying...." under this forum, in the beginning a lot of guys mentioned how to set up with a distro.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks and good luck.

Almost done with complete research. Now just heading to the "buying" section.

Cheers,

Alan

HI!!!

I just finished building my computer with an EVGA x58 mainboard (132-BL-E758-A1) with two empty hard drives and a DVD burner all connected with SATA. I DONT have a retail disk of Leopard, HOWEVER, I do have the ISO/DMG which I plan to burn with a DL disc if i can get a temporary installation of ideneb (with 9.6.0 kernel?) running. I'm sure this disc could then work to installing a perfect copy of leopard onto my computer.

What I'm planning to do here, in a nutshell, is gather any advice people can post here and then work on a standalone EVGA x58 tutorial for those to follow in our footsteps.

so i guess a couple questions to put things out of the way:

FIRST Q: boot-132 Everyone knows about the boot-132 option located here. My question is, Will the original newb boot-132 iso disc work to boot a retail version of leopard?

SECOND Q: efi partition For the most part I believe I'll use munky's guide here to prepare the efi partition but when i get to phase 4, step 3. I'm STUCK!!! because I don't know what extentions to install! then in phase 6 I'm supposed to install the kexts! where do i find these and which one works for the board?? see next question.

THIRD Q: kexts So far I've found only these kexts for onboard sound linked and provided courtesy of airwalk776, but after looking extensively through the forums and searching for "EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip" i still can't find the general kexts. What about the extentions?? Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide me with the right links?

FOURTH Q: updating leopard retail to 10.5.7 Can i do it during the boot-132 in the beginning?

FIFTH Q:bus ratio. I read all over that i need it on 20 to start it up, but then somewhere else i read its unnecessary if you have 10.5.7 running?

SIXTH Q: chameleon2 RC once i have 10.5.7 retail running, installing this later is a piece of cake. right? and then switching between mac os x, xp and windows 7 (thoses are the systems i would like to run) should be piece of cake too right? what confuses me is if i use munky's guide theres a bootloader based on dfe that is set up to multiboot. Will this conflict with chameleon?

SEVENTH Q: vanilla. I'm reading everywhere vanilla this, voodoo that. but just to be CERTAIN. vanilla means an unmodified copy of mac os x is installed right? so when people say vanilla kernel 9.6 that also means an untouched/unmodified copy of the original mac os x kernel right? if i make this tutorial i plan to make it very clear that it will be a clean copy of mac os x not an ideneb or kalyway or etc.

I know this forum topic title could be misleading, but its really true. all of these questions are up so I can start building a collage of information leading to a successful vanilla install of mac os x 10.5.7 on an evga x58 board. I WILL write a tutorial if i can get my evga x58 board working. please help out!!

on a latter note I also have two gtx 260-216s that I would like to use as well. I know for a fact that there has been successful driver installations of them. If anyone knows. is there a difference between drivers and kexts? like can i get the nvidia gtx 260 kexts to run as soon as it starts up? with the efi partition?

Lastly. Yes and no. I haven't even put a disc yet into my brand new built computer. it is litterally sitting next to me waiting to embrace the macintosh hackintosh world first hand. This is why i feel like after i get it running on this new computer I can then be ready to write up a tutorial. heck. even a youtube video. cause it was os-devirginized on mac os x. so i need your help guys. I'm using my system to help me and future people!! corny i know but honestly and sincerely i believe that would be the best way to "give back" to the Mac OSx86 world.

Cheers and feel free to post or pm anything you might no!,

Alan aka ihavearedcouch

ps: its true, i do.

I have an almost identical build to you man and I've been struggling with this for a while so I really appreciate you getting this up.

I'm going to try the external hard drive trick from another mac, and then transfer it over (crossing my fingers that it actually works). The guy that you were PMing said that he would send you some kexts to make it work; did he actually do that? And if he did, can you send them over my way.

Additionally, if you find a way to make the 260's work, I only have one but would be really appreciative if you let me know how to do it.

Thanks, and I'll post once I see if this bad boy works.

More luscious tidbits before making the guide:

this guy got it working on his asus pt6 but he used an evga x58 to get started so it definitely worked for him on his board, plus its in his signature!

when he talks about the topic its this one, its for the asus pt6 mobo but that board and the gigabyte board guides still have common elements such as DSDT which i finally got working recently. making a patched dsdt file is what helps mac os x recognize the processors and or the evga board you gotta do it a bit manually and add -f. anyways radov4n explains what he did and what parts he followed:

the following post is located exactly here.

I also managed to get 10.5.7 running on vanilla P6T, with chameleon 2.0rc1.

In order to install I used my existing evga x58 i7 machine (10.5.7), but any mac/hackintosh will do. You also need retail 10.5 and DD's script from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Used DD's script to install chameleon 2.0rc1 bootloader on a new empty hdd (option 2/3 in DD's script) . Then used DD's script to install 10.5.1 retail (option 4). Updated it manually with a 10.5.7 combo update afterwards. Removed manually AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /S/L/E (I know, but I want MacPro4,1).

Deleted kernels present in DD's script, vanilla 9.7.0 that comes with 10.5.7 is all we need.

Added necessary / removed unnecessary kexts to/from DD's script and installed them on my new hdd in /Extra. My end kexts were (LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage, IONetworkingFamily, RealtekR1000, Disabler, dsmos, OpenHaltRestart and UUID). Updated boot caches using DD's script (option 6).

Modified plist (busratio=20 flag, added verbose removed quiet, graphics), mac model name and cpu info using DD's script (options 8, 9, 10 in DD script).

Downloaded universal injector from netkas and nvidia gtx kexts from netkas, installed them on this new drive (installs in /s/l/e).

http://netkas.org/?p=105

http://netkas.org/?p=104

Moved hdd to P6T, disabled HT and enabled 1 cpu in BIOS, booted with cpus=1 busratio=20. That took a while (5+ minutes). At some point I thought it hang, but it actually booted.

I tried doing DSDT patch using DD's script, but it did not work (previously worked for my evga x58 though).

So I did step E. [patch your DSDT] of the tutorial in this thread, page 1.

But instead of "./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl" I had to do "./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f"

Former one did not produce valid DSDT.aml

Moved DSDT.aml to /Extra.

Rebooted, enabled HT and all cores in BIOS, booted in without any extra flags (just busratio=20 listed in boot.plist).

Now I have all cores present, both of my nvidia gtx 260s are visible (with qe/ci), chameleon 2.0rc1 working fine (no problem with clock).

The only problem at the moment is I don't have sound, but I haven't tried looking for correct kexts.

Hope this helps someone.

airwalk pm-d me back and was nice enough to provide links to the kexts he used, i put it on quickfilepost cause his was off his mac disk. here it is EVGAx58Kexts.zip @ quickfilepost.com

he also added: "put all these kexts in /Extra/Extensions after installing chamleon 2.0 rc1"

what else. okay so yes, ive managed to get mac os x vanilla running with borth gtx cards running. which is. in a nutshell awesome. i did run into MANY quirks along the way even had to pull out an old ide harddrive and install extra power and ide bridge wires into my system to use it, so my system is like chillen on my desk half open lol.

the only biggest gripe is 1 my ram is running at 633mhz which is nothing at what it can be mine is ocz 1600mhz plat. when i turn on my pc the bios recognizes the ram at 1033mhz (default non-overclocked ram) but ive been searching yonder for ways to put it to 1600mhz. and i got it! but in mac it says it still running at 633mhz. then i cant seem to figure out the cpu overclock when i have the ram at 1600mhz. like. dummy overclock works nice and pushes it to 3.2ghz. which i like but then i wanna do my ram at 1600mhz (so i set the ram speed multiplier to 166mhz i believe? and then it doesn't work, so its like okay i can get the ram running at that speed but i have 2.6ghz core OR i have 3.2ghz core and 1033mhz ram, hmm i KNOw people out there have both running at insane speeds, like airwalk and i messaged him asking how he did it but no answer yet. still crossing fingers.

what else. yeah so thats one major gripe. the other gripe is for some reason my front 1394 port stopped working (header), but in the back it works. this is also the case in windows, maybe a bios thing.. or maybe my graphics card fried the connect or soemthing. trial and error check..

what else. yeah that northbridge fan is seriously louder than all of my other fans, (well gtx 260 fans vary) anyways im gonna be changing the fan with a slightly larger one soon.

what else. firewire 800. i have a koutech firewire 800 pci card which is supposed to work in mac pro machines natively. no install, but its not working, so its either my drive (idk ive never tested fw800 on it), or some kexts which are useful for firewire 400 but kick firewire800 out of the picture which sucks. i think trial and error will get me around this but as always trial and error takes time.

so overall thats the case. i'll keep you guys posted. and i will make a guide once i have the machine running to my satisfaction. but namely its all out there already in pieces, DDs script, airwalks kexts, MJs guide patcher. all over the place. but i'll put it in one nice honky dory place. promise.

if you have ANYTHING useful related directly to the evga x58 sli board by all means do go ahead.

cheers,

alan

PS i also managed to understand most of the question that i had originally posted, so i'll soon answer them here too.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, just read your post with questions regarding an EVGA x58 lepoard install. Were you successful? Also, did you ever post a walkthrough thread?

I've got an EVGA x58 sli 3x or something and have a physical copy of lepoard, so I was thinking I'd give it a shot.

-n

yup, I wrote a guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172548