Success! 10.5.7 Retail Leopard Install on P5QSE/R

smidge

5 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER: I am NO expert, i just got on this Hackintosh boat a few months back and have enjoyed the challenge of making this work.

Specs

Asus P5QSE/R

Supertalent 800 DDR2 (2gigs used for install, bumped to 8 gigs afterwards)

2 x 500gb Seagate SATA disk drives

SATA Pioneer DVDRW

Intel E7500 2.93 Core 2 Duo Processor

Gigabyte NVidia 9800GT

Background:

Installed a vanilla install of Mac OS X 10.5.6 using Roberts method from this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t137296.html

That included flashing the bios using Juzzi's bios reflash

I used Iatkos 10.5.5 i5 Install DVD and then upgraded to 10.5.6 early on in the process

Importantly, i purchased a Retail DVD of Mac OS X 10.5 ! I've owned a bunch of Macs, unfortunately my last one got stolen and insurance wouldn't replace it so i had to find a cheaper alternative to buying an new mac, this was it!

This thread details how i went about installing a Full Retail install of Leopard 10.5.7 using the new Chameleon 2 RC1 boot loader.

First off, to do this you need a working Leopard Install already on your computer (or possibly the new drive shoved into a real mac?) and a second hard drive to do this, its straight forward and simple if you do!

1. used disk utility to create a disk image of my Leopard Retail DVD (10.5.2 i think) this was so repeat installs would be faster than using the drive.

2. put these two commands into terminal:

. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: open OSInstall.mpkg

3. installed full retail minus the language translations, additional fonts and most of the printers that i don't need

4. when that finished, downloaded and installed the 10.5.7 combo update

5. Downloaded and Installed Chameleon 2 RC1 from appropriate thread, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE TARGET INSTALLATION DRIVE NOT THE ONE THAT JUST BOOTED UP YOUR MACHINE OR YOU"LL WRECK THE CURRENT INSTALL

6. downloaded the p5q install package RAR from roberts thread, initrd.img (is the important part) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=41740 "ASUS_P5Q_BOOT_132.rar

7. copied everything from the 'extras' folder in the initrd.img onto the extras folder on the new drive that chameleon just created, this is to allow the new system to boot

8. Thats it! Rebooted, made sure the New HDD was selected in bios OR boot menu to make sure its the one that boots up the machine, then made sure the new hard drive was the one selected in the Chameleon boot loader

9. Added EFI strings for my video, using these instructions: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1

10. Repaired my permissions, and tested restart and shutdown, both work they just take about 10-15 seconds longer than you'd expect. No big deal!

((((FROM HERE INSTALL IS NO LONGER 100% UNTOUCHED VANILLA))))

To make lan and audio work i had to install into the actual system/library/extensions folder not jus the chameleon extras folder. There is possibly a way around this but its only 3 kexts so at worst i can remove and re install them next time software update needs to do its thing.

11. Installed this LAN driver http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140907

installed using kexthelper

12. combined EFI string for LAN and Graphics in order to make time machine work

to do this, got the Plist file for my graphics card, and Plist file for ethernet card created by X86tools and used the 'combine strings' then pasted the hex code into the apple.boot.plist file in the chameleon extras folder. This fools time machine into thinking that the installed lan card is an apple built in unit and time machine will work

13. installed this audio driver, used the slim version : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

14. tested restard, shut down, and sleep a few times. Totally powered off before installing the other 6 gigs of matching ram.

15. machine booted up perfectly with 8 gigs, runs well and everything works fine from what i can tell.

16. bought a firewire card from Frys, cost $15 and worked out of the box.

hopefully this will help some of you out there with your installs, it takes a HEAP of reading, many hours of research to make this work the way you want but i'm finally really happy with my machine! Thanks to RobertXS, Juzzi, and Marionez for making it possible to have such a stable machine.

Only bug so far is quicktime jerky mouse problems, solved by doing this :

Remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

Don't want to rain your parade but you can actually skip that whole iAtkos overinstalling upgrading mess but going for a straight 10.5 vanilla install using a boot132 cd (must include dmos.kext), upgrade to 10.5.7 using software update and start to modify EFI strings and install drivers after the upgrade.

The mouse lag is best cured by flashing the card with the Mac Pro BIOS version for that card.

just wanted to say thanks. I followed your instructions and links, almost to the letter (I used a later version of chameleon that allowed me to avoid the terminal), and now I'm the proud owner of a super fast, quad-core, with eight gigs of ram for under $500.00! Everything's working like a charm and you are my new hero/bff!