HP DV7-1000 on iDeben v1.4 10.5.6

maj1es2tic

2 posts in this topic

So, I just got this laptop for the specific purpose of making into a Hackintosh. I have a company-provided Macbook Pro, and I love it, but I wanted one myself and didn't want to spend $2k on a laptop.

First, here is what I have:

HP DV7-1000 CTO Entertainment Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @2.4Ghz

3GB DDR2 @800mhz

nvidia 9600M 512MB video card

Generic IDT Sound

250GB Sata HD

Intel 5100agn WIFI

Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

First off, I started with the Intel 5100 for the wifi, but since there is currently (as of this writing) no driver for it, I opted to buy the Broadcom. I found it on EBAY for $37+$5 shipping, and it is the same model number that Apple uses for MacBook Pros, so it works FLAWLESSLY as an Airport and even detects itself as Airport with nothing to install or load up.

Here is what I did to get everything working:

Install instructions for iDeben v1.4 10.5.6

1.) Partition your drive however you want. I chose to keep Vista (not sure why, I may delete it later) so in Vista I resized the drive down to 100GB. When you boot up the install DVD, choose the Disk Utility option in the top menu bar and create the new partition for MAC to live on, and format it to the standard journaling partition.

2.) Click on Customize button before you install and select the following options:

iDeneb Essential System

Patches 10.5.6 Ready

Audio -> IDT

Chipset -> ICHx Fixed

# Note, I have 800mhz DDR-2 ram right now, but I chose to use this BIOS module because I'll eventually upgrade to DDR-3

Fix -> AppleSMBIOS -> AppleSMBIOS 1333

Fix -> BatteryManager

System Utilities -> GenericCPUPMControl

Applications -> ALL

3.) System Configuration

Once the install is finished, you can either wait until it reboots, or if you are fast enough before the timer goes down to 0 and it auto-reboots, you can click on the top menu bar and find the TERMINAL and go there (it will pause the timer).

If you chose to let it reboot (which is perfectly fine), you will have to leave the DVD in so you can get to it. follow the instructions to boot it from the DVD, and choose "-s -v" options so you can see what's going on, and it will take you to single user mode (no gui). When it's done booting, type: "/sbin/mount -uw /" to mount the filesystem...

Now, remove the following files:

# This is the wrong nvidia file, so you will probably not be able to boot up into the gui.

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext

# This will prevent USB from mounting / working. Since you installed the GenericCPUPMControl above, you don't even need this file anyways, it will interfere with the USB Controller. I personally just moved it out of the way so I had a backup, but later on I deleted it.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext

Reboot, and this time do "-v -f" to show verbose mode and FORCE the OS to reload everything in it's cache (since you deleted those kernel modules above).

At this point, you will be booted up. Audio will work, and video will work in a lower crappy resolution.

After you create your admin account, download the 4 files I uploaded here.

Open up Finder and go to: Applications -> iDeneb App -> Kext Helper b7

Now, use the finder window to find the following kext files that you downloaded from this post and drag them into the Kext Helper app. You should have the following:

# This should allow you to close the laptop lid and have your laptop go to sleep, and then wake up. It doesn't work all the time on mine...

ClamshellDisplay.kext

# This is the ICH-9M driver

AppleAHCIPort.kext

# These are the GOOD working USB drivers.

IOUSBFamily.kext

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

Install those. Before you reboot, ask yourself if you want to keep the DVD in the drive forever? If you don't, then open up Applications->iDeneb App->OSX86Tools->OSX86Tools and click on "Install EFI/Run FDISK". Follow the options and install Chameleon so that you can dual boot. It WILL keep Vista (Or whatever else you have) as boot options in the menu, so you don't need to configure anything, just remove the DVD and enjoy dual-booting.

Now REBOOT.

Now your USB works. Your HP Webcam will show up now in System Profiler, but it will not work. It tries to, but

either dies or takes a black picture. I'm working on that one still, but it's not a high priority for me, as I never use it anyways.

The Video Card:

Follow the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2089&st=140

I had to calibrate my monitor manually afterwords because it was too washed out for my taste. Since I have a Macbook Pro, I used the color setting on it as a visual guide to know when I had it calibrated closer to a real Mac.

After looking around on the internet, I found a color profile from someone who used a hardware color profile scanner to get a correct profile for his glossy macbook pro (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316386) ... I have attached the color profile to this thread, it seems to be pretty good for this glossy screen as well.

The WIFI Card:

The card that came with the laptop, Intel 5100agn does not have drivers. There are some beta linux drivers out, but who has time to port them to Mac? Not me. So, I chose to look up the card that comes with a Macbook Pro, and sure enough it is: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n. This card is a Mini-PCI Express card, which just so happens to be the same form factor of card that comes in the HP DV7. (It is ALSO the same card that is in the Dell 1500, and some other HP laptops). So, I searched on EBAY for the model number, and found one for $37+$5 shipping. It took about 3 days to arrive, and all of 5 minutes install. You just unscrew the bottom case of the laptop which REVEALS the memory / tv card / wifi card / etc, pop the old card out (make sure you remember the location of the 2 cables that hook to the wifi card!) and put the new card in (attaching the cables to the same spots on the new card).

When you reboot, open up your network preferences and Mac OSX will say it discovered an Airport card. It automatically work, with no effort on your part.

1/2 Finger Scrolling on the Synaptics Trackpad:

I have this working at an acceptable level right now, but I'm still tweaking it slightly. It's not exactly the same as the macbook pro, but it is pretty good.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88811

Follow the instructions at the top of that thread to get it working, you can use the ALPS driver package from here and the com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist from here as well. This is the one I use. Reading through that thread, the values I changed are as follows:

These are for scrolling (all under the Synaptics tag - defaults were 80, 8, 8, 10 and 8 going down this list in that order):

<key>zAcceptThreshold</key>

<integer>73</integer>

<key>zAcceptsToStart</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>zArraySize</key>

<integer>8</integer>

<key>zDeclineThreshold</key>

<integer>40</integer>

<key>zDeclinesToStop</key>

<integer>4</integer>

This is for single tap clicking (default was 125):

<key>tapTolerance</key>

<integer>175</integer>

Now, the ALPS package supposedly loaded a startupitem, but that always fails. So, do this:

rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/FFScroll

or

rm -rf /System/Library/StartupItems/FFScroll

whichever place it put it...

And then copy the attached "com.FFScroll.Daemon.plist" file into /Library/LaunchDaemons. This will properly start up FFScroll as the system boots so you don't have a ridiculously sensitive mouse pointer on the login screen.

That was pretty much it... (That's sarcasm. It took about 10 re-installs before I got the right combination and a final install using these instructions so there weren't any drivers hanging around needlessly) Afterwords, I did let Apple software update run and it installed a bunch of updates, which had no ill effects on the machine. ** Just watch out for any USB updates, that will most likely ruin your USB.

What DOES work? Video, Audio, USB, Firewire, Bluetooth, DVD read/write, Touchpad (1/2 Finger Scroll + Tap Click)

What doesn't work? TV Card, HP Webcam, Fingerprint Reader -- All of which I can live without.

What haven't I tested? The memory card reader. I assume it won't work without a driver...

If you are interested: Purchase price of the laptop was $859 + $42 for the wifi card. The Macbook Pro I have from my company has the same specs (processor, memory, graphics), and this laptop is just as fast.

ClamshellDisplay.kext.tar.gz

gfxutil_nvidia.tar.gz

ICH9_M.tar.gz

USB_driver_fix.tar.gz

ALPS_Glidepad_Driver.pkg.zip

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist.zip

com.FFScroll.Daemon.plist.gz

MBP__2007_06_18_22_15_.icc.zip

• 2 months later...

Hey your Turtorial seems to be really good. I've bought a Pavilion dv7-1000 and I'm waiting, that it will arrive. I Hope it works.

PS: Is there now any wireless driver, or webcam released for this laptop?

cheers and I will say, if it works