Broadcom 5751 APPLEBCM5751ETHERNET.KEXT

elokito

10 posts in this topic

install leopard or tiger with the ethernet adapter turned off in bios, once on leopard/tiger installation, install WITHOUT selecting any internet kext then follow these instructions to install properly:

if you have already installed then remove all traces of patched AppleBCM57xx kext from the Extensions folder (if its in the IONetworking kext take it out from there too)

then do the normal kextcache stuff to clean it up, open terminal then type:

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

(note, if u are not booting into the partition u want to patch, then make sure u get the path right, ie. /Volumes/your_drive/System/Library/Extensions/ instead of /System/Library/Extensions.)

after u reboot, put a fresh AppleBCM5751Ethernet kext in, (unzip and place it directly into the /System/Library/Extensions/) folder, don't worry about the IONetworking kext.

here is the kext I use

next do another kextcache routine so it knows where it is etc.

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

do NOT restart

next is the tricky fix part...

in a shell, type the following, but don't do it until u have read this whole post and are ready to jump because if u screw this up it will hang in 10secs

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

now u have a short time to load the "System Preferences" icon and choose the "Network" icon. once u select it will tell u it has discovered ur card, do not load the preferences before u type the above shell command or u will be screwed.

next, quickly, and i mean quickly where it says configure select it and turn it off then click apply, once it has applied select manually instead of off and put in your ip manually.

snapshot20090301101237.jpg

thats it!

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

Edited by Alex3oo1
link removed, was present inside the kext an exe detected as viruses

• 8 months later...

Hi!

For me the below works on the

My D610 Specs- GMA900, 1gb ddr 667, 1.73 ghz Pentium M, Broadcom Ethernet, 75 GB HD,

Intel 3945 and/or Broadcom Wireless, AC97 Audio, DVDRW Combo Drive.

Took me 28 attempts to get it right and I am fine with 1024X768.

I used the MSIWindows.iso for 10.5.4 to install fresh on the D610 after using methods from ridicculous and many fine contributors. Unfortunately the IPC 10.5.6 referred by ridicculous just did not work for me.

The prepwo rk I did was to turn off the onboard NIC from the BIOS version "A6" as suggested below by pressing F2 after the power on.

It never had the AppleBCM57xx.kext to begin with though I still followed your methods for the NIC.

Following the whole defaults selections:

I installed the OS adhering the recommendations of Disk Utility.

After the installation was completed successfully and then reboot press the "F2 Key for setup"

Because of the above fix in the BIOS correspondingly the Wireless NIC was turned off as a collateral damage. Select wireless nic to enable it in the BIOS "Save and Exit". Do not enable the Ethernet NIC YET.

Let the booting process begin and press "SPACE BAR" to halt the booting process.

At the boot prompt

boot: -k -v

for loading kexts in the verbose mode.

Everything worked. The only problems was to get the resolution from 800X600 to 1024X768X32 and

Broadcom Ethernet Box. The ALT Key functions as the Apple Command Key. The tap does not work, but I can live that. Right and Left mouse buttons work and Keyboard works too.

Follow the configuration an customization. Your wireless network will get detected.

Use the Terminal to set the video for 1024X768X32 to avoid typing the values everytime at boot. This way the fix is permanent.

From the OSX86 wiki (Tips and Tricks Section)

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

enter your password:

edit:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768X32</string>

Press ^X to Exit and Save. Enter to use the same file name.

Now follow the instructions from "elokito" --- Thanks! dude. I have made changes, which worked for me.

If you have already installed then remove all traces of patched AppleBCM57xx kext from the Extensions folder (if its in the IONetworking kext take it out from there too)

sudo -s

shutdown -r now

(note, if u are not booting into the partition u want to patch, then make sure u get the path right, ie. /Volumes/your_drive/System/Library/Extensions/ instead of /System/Library/Extensions.)

after u reboot, put a fresh AppleBCM5751Ethernet kext in, (unzip and place it directly into the /System/Library/Extensions/) folder, don't worry about the IONetworking kext.

here is the kext I used: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155590

sudo -s

Reboot: Press F2 to enter setup and enable the onboard NIC from the BIOS. Save & Exit.

Continue with the reboot process. Unlike elokito. I showed up with Wireless and Ethernet NIC in my System Preferences > Network.

The lost part is that in Apple Menu I don't have the line item "Location". You can down load the Locama app "Freeware" from Apple site Download Section. and use it.

I hope it helps some people to put their troubles at ease. Big thanks! it is all hit, or miss. You can give the above shot and be prepared to re-install if all fails and kernel panic.

I will not be updating, or applying the software patches. It is going to be a field laptop and all my network utilities work including Zterm, which senses modem, serial port, so I don't have to spend $50.00 for USB>Serial convertor. All the freeware and browsers work really well. Sometimes I have challenge of the laptop hanging if not used over 10 minutes, so it needs the restart. If someone has a fix please let me know either by PM, or post.

Total reboot is less than 30 seconds, so temporary fix after use I shut it down and don't let it sleep/hibernate and power it on when in need.

A BIG THANKS! to all the contributors all the suggestions were tried and tested and it helped a lot to come to the above. Since I used the above people texts, so they are mentioned in order to avoid plagiarism.

• 2 months later...
install leopard or tiger with the ethernet adapter turned off in bios, once on leopard/tiger installation, install WITHOUT selecting any internet kext then follow these instructions to install properly:

if you have already installed then remove all traces of patched AppleBCM57xx kext from the Extensions folder (if its in the IONetworking kext take it out from there too)

sudo -s

shutdown -r now

here is the kext I use AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

sudo -s

do NOT restart

next is the tricky fix part...

in a shell, type the following, but don't do it until u have read this whole post and are ready to jump because if u screw this up it will hang in 10secs

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

now u have a short time to load the "System Preferences" icon and choose the "Network" icon. once u select it will tell u it has discovered ur card, do not load the preferences before u type the above shell command or u will be screwed.

next, quickly, and i mean quickly where it says configure select it and turn it off then click apply, once it has applied select manually instead of off and put in your ip manually.

snapshot20090301101237.jpg

thats it!

I have lenovo ideapad y450, and i have setup MAC OS on my Laptop, but i could not connecto to the internet. i have download AppleBCM5751Ethernet kext and setup on my PC but it not run.

Please tell me the way to solve this problem.

Thanks and Regards.

Thuong Tran.

Email: tranthuong882003@yahoo.com

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much, you saved my week!

I hat a horror trip upon trying to install OSX on a Dell 745SFF, could only get freezes wheneve I entered the drivers.

Indeed all my attempts to install the Broadcom5754 SFF failed due to that DHCP problem. Now you gave me the right advice and it works.

Regarding the install procedure i've got it easier:

Drop the AppleBCM5751Etherent.kext onto the Kext Utility.app.

Wait a few seconds until the Network is detected and the network setup will pop up.

Then select as fast as you can "stop" instead of DHCP

Then select "Manual" and enter the IP data manually.

Regards

RIN67630

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i can get the driver working, but it only halfway works. without a mac address being properly added as opposed to 00:00:etc. it wont talk to a dhcp server correctly. while you can manual put it in, upon reboot, you will have to manually add it in again. this just seems to me like a bad way to use this driver. and while i have heard of hex-editing it, the search strings everyone gives me to try to replace, doesnt exist.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I did it another way on my Dell Optiplex GX620...........but with the same end result. The internet now WORKS!!!!

I got the idea from elokito's first line of his first post in this thread: "Install blah-blah-blah your OS X with the ethernet adaptor TURNED OFF in BIOS".

This seemed stupid to me at first..........but it is the solution. I just wish I knew why.

1) Downloaded the aforementioned AppleBCM5751.kext on my Windows PC

2) Didn't unzip it there because Avira Antivirus told me there were some bad things in it like worms (false positive?)

3) Saved the Zip file to a USB stick

4) On my Dell, copied the Zip file to  the Desktop and unzipped it.

5) Looked in Systems/Lib/Extensions to see if there were any previous 5751.kexts or 5751.bak.kexts. If so, you should put them in the trash. Not sure if it's necessary to run Kext Utility after deletion. (Comment, anybody?)

6) Shut down the Dell, rebooted but immediately went into BIOS F2 (System Utility). My BIOS version is A11 - might be a good idea to upgrade yours to the latest from the Dell website. Only downside is you need to be running Windows to facilitate the BIOS update. AFAIK, it don't work in OS X.

7) Disable the Network card (NIC), save those BIOS settings, and reboot. Hover your mouse over the 5751.kext (not the Zip file), right click and choose Kext Utility. Enter your password and have a cup of tea while KU does its stuff.

8) Shut down again, go into BIOS re-enable the NIC card to On (don't choose ANY of the other setting for Network boot), save BIOS settings.

9) Restart MAC OS X and your internet should work. Double check in SysPrefs>>Network and also Network Utility and of course by opening a browser.

Don't know why this procedure works (why the hell would an OS have to have the PCI card disabled before it can install its driver?? Weird!!!)..but I don't care.

The only fly in the ointment that there is no Mac address assigned in the Network Utility window in the field "Hardware Address" - it's all zeroes. We shall see if this causes any probs in the future. But the IP addess is automatically and correctly assigned.

Wow!!! 10 days of tearing my hair out is now over.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ethernet worked by following this post. Just use Kext helper to install AppleBCM5751Ethernet kext. MAC address is not populated. Any ideas?

I answer a old post because I have just needed to do this. I found an Apple Script that works for me. All credit go's the the person who put this togever. I however added some lines to deal with the fact that I have more than one ethernet port one of witch keeps it's MAC address and the other dose not but the order they appears change.

Put this code into AppleScript I save this as an Application that you can run when the network is up (I am sure this can be done I just need to find out how?

replace nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn with the MAC number you need and replace admin-password with your admin password.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set newMac to "nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn"

set psswrd to "admin-password"

repeat with counter from 0 to 50

try

repeat with enum from 0 to 1

try

set currMac to (do shell script "ifconfig en" & enum & " | grep 'ether '")

if currMac contains "ether 00:00:00:00:00:00" then

exit repeat

end if

end try

end repeat

on error

delay 2

end try

end repeat

do shell script "ifconfig en" & enum & " ether " & newMac password psswrd with administrator privileges

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------