HP DV3510nr / DV3500 / HP DV3500t / DV3 guide and progress

esoterikest

33 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was working on getting OSX86 working on my friend's laptop (which is this exact one), and we were able to get everything but Wi-fi, QE/CI, and the built in mic working. We installed XxX 10.5.6 Final.

Keyboard, touchpad, webcam, and ethernet worked out of the box with no kexts needed.

When we tried NVInjectGO and EFI strings, we were able to use the full resolution of the screen, but no QE/CI. I was talking to realityiswhere, and he showed me a table of video cards, and since the 9300m GS is a G98 core (Apple so far has only gone up to G96), it cannot get full hardware acceleration yet. Hopefully a Macbook with a G98 core or something similar will come out...

For sound, we did about the exact same thing you did. It did not work at all out of the box, but once we installed HDAEnabler.kext along with this kext:

http://rapidshare.com/files/156344109/111D...pleHDA.kext.zip (from age_sabres18), we got the built-in speakers working. The built-in mic does not work though.

Wifi doesn't work of course, but we're going to switch out the card with a BCM4311 to get that working.

So we pretty much have the same results as you. This would really be an awesome laptop to get fully working with all of its features.

I was Able to install in a dv3540es, Leo 10.5.6 Retail with full QE/CI, sound, ethernet, bluetooth, touchpad & keyboard, ICH9-m support...

I´ve posted a guide, but don´t try it yet!!! Becouse it has some important errors now, and some kexts are wrong (sorry). I will update it very soon.

But you still can use the Nv9000 drivers and Nvinject contained on my attached doc to get full QE/CI. Just install on same order. I choosed 512mb option with my 9300gs. Tell me if you try with "go" ones.

I want to colaborate with you, in this thread, becouse our machine is very similar.

I need help to traslate my guide to english, and some help with additional kexts.

And stop losing time with those "distros"!! You can use retail with your machine!

It appears that your laptop and this one are pretty much the same :rolleyes:

Full QE/CI on a 9300m GS? Nice! I have a retail disc, and from reading your guide, the GALAXY_BOOT.dmg will work as a boot-loader, right?

I went with NvInjectGO the first time and that did not give me QE/CI, so I'll try your kexts and see if I have any luck with those tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

I could try translating your guide into English, but do you want me to wait until you've put in the corrections? My Spanish is rough, but I do recognize almost all of the vocabulary, so I think I can do it :)

It appears that your laptop and this one are pretty much the same :)

Full QE/CI on a 9300m GS? Nice! I have a retail disc, and from reading your guide, the GALAXY_BOOT.dmg will work as a boot-loader, right?

I went with NvInjectGO the first time and that did not give me QE/CI, so I'll try your kexts and see if I have any luck with those tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

I could try translating your guide into English, but do you want me to wait until you've put in the corrections? My Spanish is rough, but I do recognize almost all of the vocabulary, so I think I can do it :D

I only need some help to translate, I will publish it in a few days in this section, when I correct all mistakes on my guide, and upload the correct kexts. Don´t try my guide as it is, becouse it has some fatal mistakes now ,and will not work.

And yes, you must use galaxyboot or dfe-grb as bootloader.

Just wait 1 day or two!!

EDIT: Hey mister. I´ve updated my guide to 2.0. You have the english tutorial too, in this same section.

I´ve used the following Kexts, all included in my 2.0 drivers pack:

- AppleDecrypt.kext, Disabler.kext and OpenHaltrestart.kext from uInstaller (OSx86 essentials package) see my guide.

- AppleAHCIport.kext - (chipset) ICH9m support

- IOAHCIFamily.kext - SATA drivers 1.5.0 build 294

- AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext - Macbook Air´s SMBIOS EFI 28

- AppleHDA.kext and HDA enabler - Intel_IDT_Audio_111D76B2

- (Optional) AppleACPIPlatform.kext - reboot fix (not used, since it doesn´t have any effect on turn off)

- PS2FixKeyboard.pkg - Install this to have internal keyboard and touchpad working.

- Nvidia 9000 series driver v2.pkg and NVinstaller V.52 - To get full QE/CI with our 9300m GS. Install in this order.

Internal mic doesn´t work.

I think we need some driver to the camera too, becouse sometimes, when I installed 10.5.0 it seems to be working OK, but when I try on 10.5.6 with all drivers on, the image is poor, and with very bad 4-5 FPS. Your cameras are working? but... I suposse that if you still don´t have QE/CI, you simply can´t know...

I hope we can work together to make some progress.

LAST TIME UPDATE (don´t included on my 2.0 guide yet): speedstep working now, thanks to this comment http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1003722 on raiden´s thread.

Awesome :)

Yeah the webcam seemed to work just fine from the install disc. We tried installing on a partition because we didn't want to erase anything, but it didn't seem to want to install there. Whenever we tried, it would stop after a minute and say "install failed". I think I'll have to use the XxX distro for this, because we need to keep Vista and the recovery partition :/

Hopefully tomorrow we'll reinstall with XxX and then try the video drivers you selected. Thanks for all of your input! We'll post back with results!

You need to reconstruct your partition table when you´re creating partitions, changing MBR to GUID Partition Table. (look at point 3 of my guide)

You can also do the following:

-Create at least 3 partitions. Format the last one in MBR. This should create an hybrid GPT/MBR partition, and maybe all goes easily if you want to install windows too.

Other method is to modify your retail DVD to be able to install on MBR partition table, look for info here in the forum.

Otherwise, you need to follow the exact steps on my guide, becouse GUID partition table is a must to install retail DVD.

About the camera: Sometimes when I installed 10.5.6 it seems to be OK. Others simply works at slow frame rate and bad resolution.

When I upgrade to 10.5.6 and QE/CI is active, I tried with photobooth, and the image is the same, slow frame rate and bad resolution. :P

When you try when your XXX 10.5.6 and get QE/CI, tell me if it´s working OK. Maybe I can use the camera driver you´re using.

Hmm, we put in the BCM4311 and it won't even start. It gives us the 104-incompatible wifi card error. I did see some stuff online about changing the device ID, so I'll give that a go.

Anyways, I just made the image so that we could install retail on an MBR partition, so we'll try that ASAP.

As for the webcam, whenever we installed it, it worked fine in the setup menus, but we did not try it later on, so chances are it's going to behave the same way as it did for you.

I would absolutely love to get this outstanding little laptop, DV3510nr, with its backlit keyboard and 512mb video card, webcam, HDMI, VGA out, Bluetooth, IR remote and E-SATA to run OSX. So far I have been able to get into the graphical OS with the webcam, battery percentage meter,

Thanks to you, esoterikest, and to all those people that are testing my guide.

Man, do you have battery percentage meter working? There is any chance you can isolate the .kexts used? It is any pack included on your iDeneb distro? Did you used the files on raiden´s pack for this?

Please give us a hint if you can, becouse Batt meter is one of the few things we still need to fix.

EDIT: Battery meter now working, Thank you!!! Guide updated to 2.4.

• 1 month later...

Snoopcat, Have you tried the official HP rebrand of part BCM94311MCG ?

It may be the solution to our unsupported WIFI card. I am going to swap out the original wifi card for any of the following HP part numbers which should not hang on boot since they are "HP parts":

416376-001

or

407159-001

both of which are broadcom chipsets:

BCM94311MCG

Does anyone have any experience with these on any HP? ...especially the DV3510nr or any DV3?

this is what I found about it on another laptop;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry986084

note where it says, "once again the broadcom bcm94311mcg card works on osx86 without any kext editing"

And this one 407159-001 on a compaq from user gmcfarla;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t124845.html

From an HP dv2610us, I pulled a HP spare 441090-001 (also # 418572-001 is on the card) , it is a bcm94311kfbg chipset and I get the dreaded "104 unsupported" hang on startup and nothing else. There are a bunch of workarounds on the web that I'm not too excited about trying.

...why hp, why?

UPDATE

-WOAH! The "EXPRESSCARD DELL DW1390" (NOT MINI PCI) works perfectly as official airport card after the "uinstaller" step. Just go to network on system preferences after rebooting and physically inserting the card in the express slot.

-The "kexthelper" program will not RUN without password so you must have one set for your account.

• 2 months later...
Hi!

On my dv3550el everything works perfectly...except for:

1) the frequency of CPU ( Leo says that I have 1.6Ghz );

2) the internal mic works, but speech recognition says that I have 2 external mic... :wacko:

Any suggestions? Tnx in advance

Solved!!! I used default kernel of iDebeb 10.5.5 and after I've installed the kexts of speedstep, found in the guide at the begin of this post!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My first post here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I followed Ed Saxman Bcn's nice guide linked on top for my recently purchased dv3510nr. And have successfully gotten everything working. Everything... except WIFI and sleep/wakeup. The sleep thing didnt bother me too much but after awhile the lack of WIFI really bothered me more than I thought it would. So I eventually decided to get an DELL 1390 clone on ebay for $11. And yes of course, I got the 104 error. It really upset me that HP made such a {censored} move to white list WIFI cards. So I began my determined quest to do myself (and all fellow DV3/HP owners with this problem) a favor: DEFEAT the firmware check!

So to make a long story short after much researching/road blocks, (mainly from the good info/work done at mydigitallife.info http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=5902) I'm happy to report the I was finally SUCCESSFUL!! :unsure:

The process was pretty invovled/long, it took me about two weekends to figure everything out and finally tried/flashed it. First you have to uncompress the firmware, which is in LZMA/7z format with a custom header, then figure out how each module is IDed and separated, and after finding the GUID of the module that does the white list check, extract it from the image, I then disassembled the module with IDA and eventually found the check/function call for the whitelist vendor ids. I disabled the check by changing the conditional jump JNZ instruction to unconditional jump JMP, (had to download an 800+ page reference manual from intel to find out the OPCODE for the two instructions) After all of that I put everything back together. And amazingly it WORKED! on first try too! Booted into OSX and the card is automatically detected as airport, no drivers, not wonky usb/ec dongles, yay for plug and play!

For all the adventurous dv3510nr owners out there, (i dont know if all dv3s use the same firmware) I have attached my customized firmware as proof of concept. its the very same one i'm using right now, and it is based on the F15 official firmware. Possible future work might include creating a simple patcher that would patch official firmware.

Another easier alternative would be instead of disabling the white list check, you can just edit the white list itself stored as constants in the firmware by replacing one of the vendor/device/subsystem ids with your own card. That was actually the first thing I tried since it didnt require me to disassemble the thing. and I was surprised that it actually worked. Maybe someone can write a nice how to on that, as all you would need to do is edit vendor ids in the uncompressed image and save/rebuild it.

cheers!

bios4.zip

CONFIRMED!! FANTASTIC!

You have to go to where the HP bios was extracted, replace the HP bios of .fd extension with the downloadable one from kingnoob.

Now that WIFI WORKS!!! ...the wake from sleep... any updates?

Saxman,

In updating the downloadable drivers pack for the HP DV3510nr with this friendly INSYDE BIOS, please include a document of the installation instructions at the beginning of this wonderful thread you started.

Gracias Hermano,

eso

Hi,

My first post here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I followed Ed Saxman Bcn's nice guide linked on top for my recently purchased dv3510nr. And have successfully gotten everything working. Everything... except WIFI and sleep/wakeup. The sleep thing didnt bother me too much but after awhile the lack of WIFI really bothered me more than I thought it would. So I eventually decided to get an DELL 1390 clone on ebay for $11. And yes of course, I got the 104 error. It really upset me that HP made such a {censored} move to white list WIFI cards. So I began my determined quest to do myself (and all fellow DV3/HP owners with this problem) a favor: DEFEAT the firmware check!

So to make a long story short after much researching/road blocks, (mainly from the good info/work done at mydigitallife.info http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=5902) I'm happy to report the I was finally SUCCESSFUL!! :)

The process was pretty invovled/long, it took me about two weekends to figure everything out and finally tried/flashed it. First you have to uncompress the firmware, which is in LZMA/7z format with a custom header, then figure out how each module is IDed and separated, and after finding the GUID of the module that does the white list check, extract it from the image, I then disassembled the module with IDA and eventually found the check/function call for the whitelist vendor ids. I disabled the check by changing the conditional jump JNZ instruction to unconditional jump JMP, (had to download an 800+ page reference manual from intel to find out the OPCODE for the two instructions) After all of that I put everything back together. And amazingly it WORKED! on first try too! Booted into OSX and the card is automatically detected as airport, no drivers, not wonky usb/ec dongles, yay for plug and play!

For all the adventurous dv3510nr owners out there, (i dont know if all dv3s use the same firmware) I have attached my customized firmware as proof of concept. its the very same one i'm using right now, and it is based on the F15 official firmware. Possible future work might include creating a simple patcher that would patch official firmware.

Another easier alternative would be instead of disabling the white list check, you can just edit the white list itself stored as constants in the firmware by replacing one of the vendor/device/subsystem ids with your own card. That was actually the first thing I tried since it didnt require me to disassemble the thing. and I was surprised that it actually worked. Maybe someone can write a nice how to on that, as all you would need to do is edit vendor ids in the uncompressed image and save/rebuild it.

cheers!

I have already managed to disable the whitelist

Great job kingnoob! I'm going to try this ASAP with my friend's dv3510nr! Just one thing, what utility did you use to flash it? The ones listed on HP's site seem to have the BIOS contained in them.

once the HP bios file extracts to the C: drive, you can navigate to it and isolate the .fd file. Read my prior post.

Great job kingnoob! I'm going to try this ASAP with my friend's dv3510nr! Just one thing, what utility did you use to flash it? The ones listed on HP's site seem to have the BIOS contained in them.

HP's site contains a form of zipped file which gets extracted into a new folder in your C: drive. The executable program that installs the actual bios is also extracted into that new folder. When you find that folder, the bios is the one with the .fd extension. Replace that .fd file with kingnoob's .fd file and then run the .exe file to install.

I know you didn't ask for instructions but in responding to your question, it was natural to conclude this way.

Cool, we just tried it and it worked! Sweet! No drivers needed for Mac OR Vista :)

Best first post ever kingnoob!

OR linux! ...

Hi,

...it is based on the F15 official firmware. Possible future work might include creating a simple patcher that would patch official firmware.

cheers!

Hey Kingnoob,

Could you please write up for us how it is that you did all this so that we could take control of our laptops too and assist in that future work.

• 1 month later...