DELL INSPIRON 6400 w/Retail MacOSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Newman Cook

25 posts in this topic

*Hardware specs:

CPU: Inel Core 2 Duo

Video: Nvidia Geforce Go 7300M

Chipset: Intel ICH7

Network: BCM440X LAN (14E4:170C) and Broadcom Dell Wireless (14e4:4328)

Sound: SigmaTel HD Audio

*Tools needed: EmpireEFI boot CD, Retail Snow Leopard DVD, Chameleon RC4 bootloader package, Snow Leopard Combo Update package.

1. Snow Leopard Installation:

*Download EmpireEFI BootCD for Core2 and burn to a CD. After that, boot up from this CD, wait for the menu screen, insert the retail Snow Leopard DVD, press F5 after 30 seconds, select that DVD and start installing the OS.

http://onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx/boo...elCore2.i57.zip

*Create 2 or more partitions if you plan to have other OSes installed on the same HD. Select GUD scheme if you want to install Windows 7 together with OSX.

*After Snow Leopard installation is completed, remove Snow Leopard DVD, reboot from the same EmpireEFI CD, select Snow Leopard partition, update your OSX to 10.6.3 from Software Update or downloaded ComboUpdate file, along with other necessary updates.

*Open the CD, look for a file called Preboot.dmg, open that image file, copy EXTRA folder to Snow Leopard partition of HD.

*Installing Chameleon RC4 bootloader: boot the system from EmpireEFI CD again and select Snow Leopard partition, copy Chameleon RC4 package to the desktop and extract it to a folder. Go to Application > Utilities > Terminal, and type these commands: (assuming Chameleon RC4 folder is rc4, your MacOSX partition is disk0s2)

cd Desktop/rc4/i386

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /

*After this step, boot the system without the BootCD. MacOSX should boot directly from the hard drive.

2. Install drivers:

(Alternate download location: www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx)

*Install TSCSync kext first to fix Core 2 issues using Kext Utility for Snow Leopard

*Install Framebuffer_Disabler.kext.zip using Kext Utility for Snow Leopard

*Install SleepEnabler.10.6.x.zip

*Install VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

*Install TimeSyncFix.zip

*Broadcom BCM440X LAN card: Download IONetworkingFamily.kext.10.6.zip and AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.SL.zip from NETWORK directory, install each kext using Kext Utility for Snow Leopard

http://www.kexts.com/view/129-kext_utility...8update%29.html

*Broadcom Dell Wireless card: Snow Leopard should automatically detect your wireless card, if not you may need to use the tool called bcm43xx_enabler

*Sound card: install VooDooHDA 2.1 kext

*Video card: Download OSX86 Tools, open the tool, select Add EFI strings/Boot Flag, go to GFX string and customize your video card with the same RAM size and video output type, generate the strings and copy it to com.apple.Boot.plist from EXTRA folder in the section: <key>device-properties</key> <string>video graphics strings here</string>

3. Make a backup image for your OSX hard drive or partition as it helps a lot for testing new drivers or updates.

• 1 year later...

Ok so I have been working at this for a bit, and I think I have found the easiest way to get most things up and running.

Requirements: Dell Inspiron 6400

iAtkos S3 version 2

external usb mouse/keyboard. (maybe needed)

If you want mac & windows:

partition hard drive into two partitions. Install Windows to the 2nd partition. (this will actually make it so you have 3 partitions, but dont worry)

Insert iAtkos dvd, and boot from it, format the first empty partition as MAC OS Extended, then install Snow Leopard 10.6.3, but be sure to customze!

-Uncheck EVERYTHING, except for:

bootloader => chameleon v2 RC4

bootloader Options => 32-bit boot

Patches => /Extra Directory

=> Disabler

=> fake smc

Sound => ALL (both options)

PS/2 => Voodoo PS/2

CPU Powermanagement => Voodoo P-State

Laptop Hardware => Battery

=> Card Reader * try without if having issue

=> TSC Sync * try without if having issue / Kernel Panic or download more recent copy: http://osx86blog.blogspot.com/2009/09/vood...ow-leopard.html

NTFS-3G => All

network-->wired-->broadcom => BCM440x

on first boot -v cpus=1 if you didnt install the TSC Sync. First boot takes like 5 minutes... be patient!

Once installed, the keyboard/mouse may or may not work. however, you will have sound, network & battery meter.

If the keyboard/mouse doesnt work, you can use the files listed above, or try to find a Dell post installer and use the media keys enabler.

You should now have pretty much everything you need.

wifi and screen resolution are the only drawbacks... however, work IS being done for the wifi! if you download the driver here: http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/ for the intel wifi 3945, it will detect your card and you will be able to pick up wireless networks... connecting is another story.

If you must have wifi, buy one of these: Broadcom Wireless Mini PCIe Card DELL DW 1390 Airport off ebay, theyre usually <20$ and if you need to install it: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/en/index.htm

this should be supported no problem.

Good luck! -Be patient, it took me many re-installs to figure this out to be straightforward. the iAtkos DVD will kernel panic if you take packages you don't need. If anyone gets the ati card working properly let me know!

Useful tools: KextHelper

GETTING GRAPHICS to work -> ATI 1400

Mad thanks to Shakey the Digger, I will try to make a more concise guide, but for now

try this:

download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2ebyznyz1t

http://www.mediafire.com/?kjodd0gzhte

Using Kext Helper, install the ATIRadeonX1000.kext then use disk utility to repair permissions.

Reboot.

Using Kext Helper, install the RadeonHD.kext then use disk utility to repair permissions.

Reboot.

With Luck, you will have working Graphics!

Now if it doesnt work, you may have a different EDID which you will have to fix in the Radeon File, Luckily for me, ShakeytheDigger had the exact same, and gave me his files. Thank him for the links!

Alternatively, you can follow the Guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...196083&st=0

And you can get your EDID using: SwitchResX

Fixing Reboot issue (if you have it)

Install EvOReboot http://www.kexts.com/view/136-evoreboot,_r...w_leopard..html

there may be an option in the setup to install this, but I didnt try that out. I know the one in the link ^ does however work.

If anyone gets the ati card working properly let me know!

Useful tools: OSX86Tools, KextHelper, TinkerTool

I have mine working properly, still working on other issues but I just found this thread, will hopefully help me. I used the ATIRadeonX1000.kext from the first post in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...196083&st=0

and went to the thread linked in post #48, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586 but I then edited my EDID into the latest RadeonHD.kext (I put it in the same place that it was in the RadeonHD.kext from the first post, followed instructions (repairing permissions, etc after each kext) and everything appears to be working including Front Row!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I have been working at this for a bit, and I think I have found the easiest way to get most things up and running.

Requirements: Dell Inspiron 6400

iAtkos S3 version 2

external usb mouse/keyboard.

If you want mac & windows:

partition hard drive into twp partitions. Install Windows to the 2nd partition.

Insert iAtkos dvd, install Snow Leopard 10.6.3, but be sure to customze!

-Uncheck EVERYTHING, except for:

-Chameleon RC4

-Broadcom 440x

-32bit boot

-P state power management

-Voodoo Battery

-both audio drivers for IDT.

-TSSync (makes it so you dont have to use cpus=1)

Once installed, the keyboard/mouse may or may not work. however, you will have sound, network & battery meter.

If the keyboard/mouse doesnt work, you can use the files listed above, or try to find a Dell post installer and use the media keys enabler.

You should now have pretty much everything you need.

wifi and screen resolution are the only drawbacks... however, work IS being done for the wifi! if you download the driver here: http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/ for the intel wifi 3945, it will detect your card and you will be able to pick up wireless networks... connecting is another story.

Good luck! -Be patient, it took me many re-installs to figure this out to be straightforward. the iAtkos DVD will kernel panic if you take packages you don't need. If anyone gets the ati card working properly let me know!

Useful tools: OSX86Tools, KextHelper, TinkerTool

Hello,

I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and followed your instructions to the 'T' but I get a failure after installation. The laptop tells me to restart - I have to manually power down the laptop. Even after the reboot, the same thing happens.

I'm confused, because I have the exact same laptop as you and unchecked everything mentioned in your post. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Hey there,

to be honest, when I was first doing this, I got installation failed as well, and then... the issue went away. I am re-installing right now, Try using these settings:

=> Disabler

=> fake smc

PS/2 => Voodoo PS/2

=> TSC Sync* try without if having issue

NTFS-3G => All

on first boot -v cpus=1

Now, with the iAtkos S3 DVD i believe there were two versions released around the same time, I got the second version of a Canadian site which sort of rhymes with Hemeroid

I suppose I should mention this too, when I formatted my partition for OSX I formatted as MAC OS Extended (Journaled).

Be patient... it took my a number of tries to get it to work straight forward. Keep at it

hope it helps

Also, you may have a Dell 6400 but the hardware may still be different, for example you may have a different wireless card other then the intel 3945 wifi, or a different network card or sound card. With luck they're the same but there may be slight differences.

This is my system:

Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop

Intel GMA 950 graphics card

1.6 ghz dual core processor

2.5 gb RAM

I've been trying to get the Brazil patch leopard cd to work, but i can't start with -s and the terminal doesn't change directories and can't find volumes and home, so will this work fine on my computer?

I am not sure if this will work for your system. The Inspiron 640m, is not the same as the 6400 even though they sound similar. The only Laptop similar to the 6400, is the E1505.

You can try the steps above, alot should work, but you may have to tweak. I would just download the iAtkos DVD, it will save alot of time rather than patching another dvd.

Cheers, hope that helps

This is my system:

Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop

Intel GMA 950 graphics card

1.6 ghz dual core processor

2.5 gb RAM

I've been trying to get the Brazil patch leopard cd to work, but i can't start with -s and the terminal doesn't change directories and can't find volumes and home, so will this work fine on my computer?

I am not sure if this will work for your system. The Inspiron 640m, is not the same as the 6400 even though they sound similar. The only Laptop similar to the 6400, is the E1505.

You can try the steps above, alot should work, but you may have to tweak. I would just download the iAtkos DVD, it will save alot of time rather than patching another dvd.

Cheers, hope that helps

Ah yes, which iAtkos dvd should I get?

Hey there,

to be honest, when I was first doing this, I got installation failed as well, and then... the issue went away. I am re-installing right now, Try using these settings:

=> Disabler

=> fake smc

PS/2 => Voodoo PS/2

=> TSC Sync* try without if having issue

NTFS-3G => All

on first boot -v cpus=1

Now, with the iAtkos S3 DVD i believe there were two versions released around the same time, I got the second version of a Canadian site which sort of rhymes with Hemeroid

I suppose I should mention this too, when I formatted my partition for OSX I formatted as MAC OS Extended (Journaled).

Be patient... it took my a number of tries to get it to work straight forward. Keep at it

hope it helps

Also, you may have a Dell 6400 but the hardware may still be different, for example you may have a different wireless card other then the intel 3945 wifi, or a different network card or sound card. With luck they're the same but there may be slight differences.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to you earlier.

I tried this exact install method as outlined, and although I don't get any kernal panic or the laptop asking to be shut down. What happens is that the screen stays blank or I get all the white text and black background (booting screen) and then I can hear music playing (some girl singing a Bee gee's song), but I cannot see anything. lol

I then tried it without the -v cpus=1 on first boot. Still no luck - same thing (blank screen and music playing).

I can tell I am almost there, but it may need some tweaking. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well if you here the "stayin alive" music, that means you're actually in the apple setup! and almost done setting up. Why your screen stays blank... that is weird.

Try booting with -v -x -f, see if you get any unusual messages. does your laptop have the ati card / nvidea card or gma card? my method works for the laptops with the Ati card. if you have the Nvidea or GMA card you may need add the vide driver which matches in the settings when u install.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to you earlier.

I tried this exact install method as outlined, and although I don't get any kernal panic or the laptop asking to be shut down. What happens is that the screen stays blank or I get all the white text and black background (booting screen) and then I can hear music playing (some girl singing a Bee gee's song), but I cannot see anything. lol

I then tried it without the -v cpus=1 on first boot. Still no luck - same thing (blank screen and music playing).

I can tell I am almost there, but it may need some tweaking. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well if you here the "stayin alive" music, that means you're actually in the apple setup! and almost done setting up. Why your screen stays blank... that is weird.

Try booting with -v -x -f, see if you get any unusual messages. does your laptop have the ati card / nvidea card or gma card? my method works for the laptops with the Ati card. if you have the Nvidea or GMA card you may need add the vide driver which matches in the settings when u install.

Thanks for the info. I discovered that my laptop has everything yours does, EXCEPT for an Intel GMA card, which has the correct driver on the DVD package - I even checked system profile to make sure I had the right model selected. I tried installing with and without the driver, but still got the blank screen and music.

Do you think I should select anything else in the customize options like display etc?

Yea, I'd say go for it. My Laptop has the ATI Card, not the GMA (intel) card. I believe there is a driver option for that built into the customized options under display.

There is also another option.. I think it was called graphics enabler, you could try those, but I havent tested them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I discovered that my laptop has everything yours does, EXCEPT for an Intel GMA card, which has the correct driver on the DVD package - I even checked system profile to make sure I had the right model selected. I tried installing with and without the driver, but still got the blank screen and music.

Do you think I should select anything else in the customize options like display etc?

Update: Last night, without re-installing the whole OS again, I booted the laptop by typing -v -x -f which displayed the white text on black background, but this time I had a display on my laptop. I got a message saying that it didn't recognise my keyboard and the touchpad did not work. I plugged in a USB mouse, which worked and then I clicked on detect keyboard. After this, my laptop keybaord was functional. I went through the setup process, created my login account etc and was able to get into the desktop.

My wifi card worked fine and I was able to connect to my router - tested by going on youtube - videos played fine, but there was no sound on the laptop, no battery indicator and I was limited to a screen resolution of 1024 X 768.

I take all this as a good sign, because at least I was able to get in this time. However, afer I rebooted and let it load OS X normally, I was stuck on the rainbow loading wheel and the cursor for an hour+ and it didn't get any further, so I just shut the laptop down and left it.

I'll try re-installed the OS again, but tweak my installation options slightly.

Hey that is great news though! if you have the voodoo battery, and the two sound options it should work HOWEVER

when booting with -f -v -x, it may disable sound/mouse/battery because they're not the normal kernel.

Now that your machine is setup and running, try booting it without any flags, just a normal boot. I betchya some things will work magically...

haha, Ive run into the same problem!

best of luck!!

Update: Last night, without re-installing the whole OS again, I booted the laptop by typing -v -x -f which displayed the white text on black background, but this time I had a display on my laptop. I got a message saying that it didn't recognise my keyboard and the touchpad did not work. I plugged in a USB mouse, which worked and then I clicked on detect keyboard. After this, my laptop keybaord was functional. I went through the setup process, created my login account etc and was able to get into the desktop.

My wifi card worked fine and I was able to connect to my router - tested by going on youtube - videos played fine, but there was no sound on the laptop, no battery indicator and I was limited to a screen resolution of 1024 X 768.

I take all this as a good sign, because at least I was able to get in this time. However, afer I rebooted and let it load OS X normally, I was stuck on the rainbow loading wheel and the cursor for an hour+ and it didn't get any further, so I just shut the laptop down and left it.

I'll try re-installed the OS again, but tweak my installation options slightly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry to bump and old thread but didnt wanna start another , this worked for my 6400 like a charm ..

i downloaded thease cause i didnt have ethernet working .. >>> IONetworkingFamily.kext.10.6.zip and AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.SL.zip , i installed it seemed to go fine ... now my wifi has quit .. now i get no airport card installed..

wifi worked fine right out of the box on fresh install it was working perfect until i installed those ethernet kexts .. what do i do ? roll back some how ?

help please..

much thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Chances are you wrecked permissions. You can try booting with a -x -v or run disk utility to repair permissions.

If that doesnt work, try removing the two kexts you installed, and re-install. You *shouldnt* lose anything doing this, and it will likely save you some time in the long run.

best of luck

sorry to bump and old thread but didnt wanna start another , this worked for my 6400 like a charm ..

i downloaded thease cause i didnt have ethernet working .. >>> IONetworkingFamily.kext.10.6.zip and AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.SL.zip , i installed it seemed to go fine ... now my wifi has quit .. now i get no airport card installed..

wifi worked fine right out of the box on fresh install it was working perfect until i installed those ethernet kexts .. what do i do ? roll back some how ?

help please..

much thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi.

DELL Inspiron 6400 ATI x1400 WIRELESS 1390(broadcom) b440

I installed iAtkos s3 v2 like bren1818

(

=> Disabler

=> fake smc

=>SleepEnabler

=>EVOReboot

PS/2 => Voodoo PS/2

=> Card Reader

=> TSC Sync

NTFS-3G => All

)

Card Reader doesn't work (

en1 - losing packets (smb crashes) ping - ~40% packets lost

Activity monitor (even a "top" at terminal) - freezes system

Can anybody help me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi.

DELL Inspiron 6400 ATI x1400 WIRELESS 1390(broadcom) b440

I installed iAtkos s3 v2 like bren1818

(

=> Disabler

=> fake smc

=>SleepEnabler

=>EVOReboot

PS/2 => Voodoo PS/2

=> Card Reader

=> TSC Sync

NTFS-3G => All

)

Yes that's it. Very simple.

I installed my os with the options, but 1 change: My graphic card is the 950GMA, so i choose the kext (all) for intel graphic.

After install the system was booting and the sound starts to play a song, but there was no graphic.

The solution is to connect the harddisk to another system like a mac or a hackintosh and install all the files from the link below in the right directories.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188498

And there it is!

For those who had problems to boot, try to boot with -v -x in safe mode and look the first lines if there are kext with errors.

Delete this ones.

• 2 years later...

I have the 6400, but with the apparent red headed stepchild video of ATI x1300. I am so frustrated trying to get the video to offer me anything other than 1024x768 that I'm at the point where I would throw myself down a flight of stairs if I thought it would fix the problem.

About getting SL itself installed, I followed the tut here and had success...

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1392-how-to-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-on-dell-inspiron-e15056400/

but, again, video just stuck at 1024x768. Whatever tut or suggestion I try I just can't make any progress with this. :(