OS X on HP TouchSmart tx2?

175 posts in this topic

Can OSx86 be installed on an HP TouchSmart tx2? If so, what's working and what isn't?

I'm working on this at the moment. I tried Kalyway with the tx2500 instructions (Since they're very simular setups as far as hardware) and I managed to get as far as a kernel panic when trying to get a root drive. Specifying a root drive seems to do no good unfortunately, however oddly, instead of starting off at 0,0 drives seem to start at 11,0 or 12,0

Going to try iDeneb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have also a Touchsmart and havent been able to install Retail via BootDFE and directly with Kaly10.5.2 or LeoxAll. After DVD booting options -v -x I get a panic.

Did you make any progress with the Touchsmart and Deneb? Thxs.

Good and bad news. Bottom line is OSX is {censored} and a waste of everyones time. After countless retries and downloads, turns out there's something not mentioned on ay website: You MUST burn the ISO to DVD-R. Burning to a DVD+R causes install failure. On that note; I successfully installed iDeneb on my TX2. Bad news. It refuses to boot to OSX. With the iDeneb DVD in, it randomly picks between showing the apple logo with the Caps Lock and Num Lock LEDs blinking, kernel panicing, or going to the iDeneb installer. Checing countless resources, there seems to be no way to make it boot from hdd. It does the whole boot1: fail bull. Oh well. If Apple wants to be greedy pricks who can't even allow independant thinking, they can do it without me.

Just got iDeneb 1.3 (partially) working on my tx2-1020us. I also got a dual boot situation working with EasyBCD. During installation, I selected Radeon HD Core, Broadcom WiFi, AzaliaAudio, and the AMD Patch. So far, the touchscreen seems to be working, although it gets less accurate the farther away you are from the center. Ethernet appears to be recognized, although I haven't tested it yet. Bluetooth appears to be working, but I haven't tested it either. Audio and WiFi aren't working right now. Front Row doesn't work either, which I understand has something to do with Quartz Extreme. If anyone knows anything about getting audio or wireless to work, please post. I didn't know what exact model of audio card the tx2 has, so I didn't select anything during the install. If you have any other suggestions, please post them as well.

Just got iDeneb 1.3 (partially) working on my tx2-1020us.

Hi HunterJ,

I<m glad to see you got it working... would you care adding any more feedback about your experience with osx on the tx2? ...now that you<ve had it installed a little while...

thanks!

Can you please give us more info about how you got osx onto the TX2?

I have been trying iDeneb 1.3 on my Tx1020us with the same options you selected. But I can't boot.

It doesn't even get to the apple screen: fast lines of text zoom by for a fraction of a second then the screen turns blank. If I try verbose mode (-v) I get speeding lines of text for a longer time, but it does not stall on anything (making difficult to debug), the screen just blanks out after a while and I have to power off. Safe mode does the same...

1. In which order did you install the OSs?
  2. Which partition are you using for which OS?
  3. what is the processor in your machine? mine is a Turion X2 Ultra 2.4
  4. did you select anything else at all during the iDeneb installation?

thanks....

ke10g

Below are the exact steps I took to install iDeneb 1.3 onto my HP tx2-1020us:

1. Burn ISO image. I used the software that came with my tx2.

2. Open computer management in Windows. Right click on the Vista partition, and select "Shrink Volume". Shrink it by about 20GB or so.

3. Format 20gb free space to FAT32.

4. Restart computer, and boot into the DVD.

5. Once in the installer, open disk utility and format your 20GB FAT32 partition to Mac OS Journaled, then select it as the install location when prompted.

6. Customize the install, selecting StageXNU Kernel, AMD Patch, AzaliaAudio, Broadcom wireless, and Radeon Core.

7. Click install. Installation will take a little while, so grab a cup of coffee or something.

8. The computer will then restart. Be sure to get to the BIOS boot menu and select the HDD drive, because otherwise it will boot from the DVD again.

9. Boot into OS X. During the install wizard, cancel when it comes to registration. I think the key combo is Command-Q.

10. Once in OS X, restart. Now go to the darwin bootloader and select Windows partition from the boot menu.

11. Windows Vista will start. Go to Computer Management, then Disk Managment. Then right click the Windows partition and select "Mark Partition as Active".

12. Launch EasyBCD. It will tell you about a corrupted bootloader or something like that. Hit yes when it asks you to repair.

13. Click "Add/Remove Entries". Click on the Mac tab, select "Generic x86 PC" from the dropdown menu, give it a name and click "Add Entry". Now click "Save".

14. OS X should now be correctly set up on your tx2. Audio and WiFi are still not working, so if anyone finds out anything about either of those, please post.

I hope this helps.

Just got iDeneb 1.3 running:

installed on first partition and have a windows 7 partition as partition2.

I used the same iDeneb configuration as HunterJ (above).

currently not working properly (after install and before any tweaks):

• - screen resolution fixed at 1024 x 768 (no kext loaded)
  • - no audio device detected
  • - internal disks show up as ahci (orange) (i don't remember seeing an option for this in the bios)
  • - touchscreen not working: in fact if I touch the screen, the pointer jumps to the topleft corner and the left mous button stops working...
  • wifi not recognized

any help with these would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

ke10g

Hi Hunterj thanks for posting your install process.

I managed to install by figuring out I had to add the StageXNU kernel.

Questions:

Is your screen resolution stuck at 1028 x 768 like mine is?

Does your touch screen screw up like mine does? When I touch it the pointer immediately moves to coordinate 0, 0. An then the left mouse button stops working... (on external mouse and on trackpad). Did you have to do anything to get it working? Of corse it works perfectly in windows.

thanks

I don't have any issues with the touchscreen, other than the calibration. I don't think there's anything wrong with the resolution. I might have to double check. It might be because there isn't a kext loaded for the graphics card. I haven't found one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things - I've looked everywhere I can for video drivers and it seems NO ONE supports the 3200 HD - they only support the 2900 or 3650+ cards.... Cannot get audio to work - but AM able to get wifi working with the XxX Leo install of 10.5.6.

Bluetooth shows up and can find my mouse, but stops responding when I try to pair it... So basically I have a stretched image widescreen (1024x768) without sound and possibly without bluetooth, but DO have ethernet and wifi working. I wish I knew more about where to find kexts and how to install, etc... I'm too newb at it I guess.

As for the calibration problem you're having ke1og - you have the win7 beta drivers installed on your second partition don't you? ;) Those drivers flash your firmware and stop your ability to use the pen, or touch function in any other OS (which tries to use the old firmware). When you uninstall the n-trig beta drivers for win7 32bit - you will see it flash the bios back to the original image - however, if you do not have C++ Redistributable 2005 installed - the firmware rollback will be skipped without any warning to you.

I'll write back with more info once I get further with my install and testing - but if anyone can point me to other kext files so I can rip things apart and see if I can do anything - I'd appreciate it.

Hope this helps someone out there! LOL

Hello. This is my first post to this forum and I haven't played around much with OSx86 so please ignore my rookie mistakes.

I started off learning how to use on my MSI Wind using MSIOSX86. Everything worked perfectly on that machine so I decided to install OSX on my tablet. I looked at this thread and thought I should try the new iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on my TX2. I followed HunterJ's procedure above but wasn't able to find the StageXNU Kernel so I installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernal and deselected the AMD patch. I was unable to find Radeon Core on the custom install.

Installation went successful and booted into OSX. I did go back to my Vista x64 to set the partition active and install EasyBCD. So heres the bad news. As everybody is having issue with the ATI HD 3200 driver, my display is stretched as well. Having no issues with touchscreen except calibration. I guess that might be fixed if we get an ATI HD 3200 driver. Audio and WiFi dont work either but funny part is that my Bluetooth does work. I did connect my iPhone to the laptop and worked fine. The bluetooth and WiFi are on the same PCI card so I dont see a reason why my WiFi shouldn't work. I am not having issues with my hard drive as some of you are. I can access my Vista partition files and also external drives.

I just installed OSX last night so havent got much time to play around with the WiFi or audio but will try HunterJs link for audio and will post results soon.

Thank you very much for working on this,

pr4tik

I now have audio with HunterJ's link... now I need wifi, bluetooth, and video. ;) Blue tooth shows up for me - but will not pair to my Microsoft 8000 mouse... nor my 5000. Does the same thing with both - just stays at the "Pairing with your Bluetooth mouse" screen forever.

I had wifi with the default install prob first time I installed it... but now I cannot get it to work no matter what I pick. I know it's a broadcom - and I've tried installing that kext, but no to no avail.

Anyone have some pointers?

tx2-1099eg with ideneb 1.4

got Wifi working on it with mcsmarts´s method

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51725

don´t forget the software update before...

audio working with HunterJ's link, thx!

hd3200 found nothing

bluetooth can connect to iphone, no bluetoothmouse to test, sorry

tablet/pen out of calibration, i am still searching for a solution

hey guys i'm gonna join the tx2 boat with a tx2z. just to let ya know I've installed OS X onto my HP m9350f with great sucess (except audio) and am looking forward to doing the same on the tx2 series. thanks to everyone in this thread for guinea piggin' and figuring everything out. I will post here on OSX86 dist used and sucess/failure. Since LawlessPPCAMD worked so nicely on my m9350f with AMD Phenom, i was thinking it would work as good on the tx2z. Am I incorrect to assume that? Y'all are saying to use iDeneb, but that's not vanilla looking enough for me. I would use it if I could use all stock Apple graphics, etc.

For the stretched screen problem, try forcing a resolution. Just backup first. I just finished trying a method that apparently didn't work, and I'm about to reinstall OS X. :(

Hey HunterJ,

I did try that a few weeks by changing the codes in System files but no luck. I even tried looking at the Modes in the bootloader but nothing worked. You can try and give us your results!

Thanks

I tried a third party program that enabled different video modes (I don't know how it works). Anyway, when it restarted I kept getting the spiral against a blue background that sometimes happens when you restart. It continued to do this and would not stop. I think the login window crashed. I also tried modifying the com.Apple.Boot.plist file, but that didn't work. Neither did the vesa options at the boot prompt. If anyone finds anything that works, whether it be drivers or something else, please post.

I tried a third party program that enabled different video modes (I don't know how it works). Anyway, when it restarted I kept getting the spiral against a blue background that sometimes happens when you restart. It continued to do this and would not stop. I think the login window crashed. I also tried modifying the com.Apple.Boot.plist file, but that didn't work. Neither did the vesa options at the boot prompt. If anyone finds anything that works, whether it be drivers or something else, please post.

That is exactly what I had tried as well but no luck. I did read online that if the vesa does not support the resolution then changing the plist file does not good. Thanks for working on this..

I just tried the Natit drivers for the Radeon 2400, and added the device id to the kext file. OS X now tells me that it couldn't load AtiRadeonX2000.kext. I heard somewhere that both the 2400 and the 3600 are similar to the 3200. I'm going to try working with 3600 drivers next.

have any of you tried to generate a gfx string via osx86tools? I know that's how I got my geforce 9800gt to work on my desktop. I just chose nvidia, then geforce w/256 mb mem and dual dvi output and it generated the string for me. Is there an option for ati with VGA and 64mb dedicated mem?

I tried importing the strings for both the 3600 and the 2400 into the boot editor. The 3600 gave me a blue screen, and the 2400 gave me a black screen. Is there any way to edit these so that they can work with the 3200?