8400m GS 10.5.6

nvflash

4 posts in this topic

Just wanted to drop in an let people know, with 10.5.6 Nvidia/Apple have found a way to get Powermizer working.

I have a HP DV6871 with GF8400m GS 256MB, I've been running 10.5.2, however I like to keep my System up to date, and I was not getting all of the GPU performance I thought the 8400m should give.

Under 10.5.2, at boot the clocks would be set the save as the Boot Clocks in the Video Bios, if I would Sleep the display, it would change the Clocks to the 3D Table in the Video Bios, however I felt it should preform a bit better.

10.5.2 Before Sleep>Display(Can't Get this DV6871 to do full s1/s3 sleep, I'm working on it)

OpenGL Ext.Viewer 1280x800 == 50FPS

After Sleep

OpenGL Ext.Viewer == 350FPS

10.5.6 No Sleep Trick Needed!!! Stock Nvidia Kext's for 10.5.6 + NVKUSH( GFX Strings won't work in 10.5.6 with this card like they did in 10.5.2 YMMV)

OpenGL Ext.Viewer == 750FPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now in real would Gaming Halo,COD2,Doom3, I did not get a 100% boost, but I only have C2D 1.83Ghz so the CPU could be the limiting factor.

I did note that the First test in OpenGL Ext. Viewer would Lag for a few seconds around 300 then jump to 750, this got me thinking Powermizer.

So I took a look at the Source code for Linux's NvClock and looked at how Nvidia Clocks the 8400.

Armed with this I Pulled our Reggie :D, Took a look at the clocks before I opened any OpenGL Games, noted he clock values, and then after.

The Clocks changed, the a few minutes after I stopped the Game, Clocks lowered.

No big deal, but it is nice on a NoteBook to save a bit of Heat/Power.

Trouble with Powermizer an OS X was QE, as QE uses OpenGL 3D all the time, so for the Driver to Know when to Clock the Card Up/Down must have been no small task.( Thanks Apple/Nvidia )

Linux users with a Compositing Window manager and I think Vista where having some bit of trouble with PowerMizer last time I looked in to it, however that was a while back so NVidia may have it working for them too.

I'll have to check into if PowerMizer only changes the Clocks, or it Slews the Voltage too?

I think it also Slews the Voltage.

One last note: 10.5.6 also has OpenGL 3.0 :) Or at least some of it.

• 4 months later...
Just wanted to drop in an let people know, with 10.5.6 Nvidia/Apple have found a way to get Powermizer working.

I have a HP DV6871 with GF8400m GS 256MB, I've been running 10.5.2, however I like to keep my System up to date, and I was not getting all of the GPU performance I thought the 8400m should give.

Under 10.5.2, at boot the clocks would be set the save as the Boot Clocks in the Video Bios, if I would Sleep the display, it would change the Clocks to the 3D Table in the Video Bios, however I felt it should preform a bit better.

10.5.2 Before Sleep>Display(Can't Get this DV6871 to do full s1/s3 sleep, I'm working on it)

OpenGL Ext.Viewer 1280x800 == 50FPS

After Sleep

OpenGL Ext.Viewer == 350FPS

10.5.6 No Sleep Trick Needed!!! Stock Nvidia Kext's for 10.5.6 + NVKUSH( GFX Strings won't work in 10.5.6 with this card like they did in 10.5.2 YMMV)

OpenGL Ext.Viewer == 750FPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now in real would Gaming Halo,COD2,Doom3, I did not get a 100% boost, but I only have C2D 1.83Ghz so the CPU could be the limiting factor.

I did note that the First test in OpenGL Ext. Viewer would Lag for a few seconds around 300 then jump to 750, this got me thinking Powermizer.

So I took a look at the Source code for Linux's NvClock and looked at how Nvidia Clocks the 8400.

Armed with this I Pulled our Reggie :D , Took a look at the clocks before I opened any OpenGL Games, noted he clock values, and then after.

The Clocks changed, the a few minutes after I stopped the Game, Clocks lowered.

No big deal, but it is nice on a NoteBook to save a bit of Heat/Power.

Trouble with Powermizer an OS X was QE, as QE uses OpenGL 3D all the time, so for the Driver to Know when to Clock the Card Up/Down must have been no small task.( Thanks Apple/Nvidia )

Linux users with a Compositing Window manager and I think Vista where having some bit of trouble with PowerMizer last time I looked in to it, however that was a while back so NVidia may have it working for them too.

I'll have to check into if PowerMizer only changes the Clocks, or it Slews the Voltage too?

I think it also Slews the Voltage.

One last note: 10.5.6 also has OpenGL 3.0 :D Or at least some of it.

I have 10.5.5 installed. Anyone know which kexts will make this happen for me? I grabbed the 10.5.6 updater and tried ripping a few kexts out and installing them, but I either got distorted video or a super laggy system.

Just looking for which kexts would be included under the nvidia umbrella so I can grab the updated ones and install them.

Thanks

I have 10.5.5 installed. Anyone know which kexts will make this happen for me? I grabbed the 10.5.6 updater and tried ripping a few kexts out and installing them, but I either got distorted video or a super laggy system.

Just looking for which kexts would be included under the nvidia umbrella so I can grab the updated ones and install them.

Thanks

Here is the list that worked for me. Just enough guessing gets it right:

GeForce.kext

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

Before the updates XBench was 106. After, a whopping 168. Worth it for sure... And to think, I was about to sell my m1330 and get a proper Mac for this bug and VoodooHDA sleep distortion. After the VoodooHDA driver is fixed, its golden.

looks like these benefits go away after the first sleep for me. still not as crappy as it was with 10.5.5 kexts before sleep, but after sleep with either, graphic performance is just the same. Might try 10.5.7 kexts and see if they continue to boost/refine performance.

could this be NVInjects fault? I have no idea how the nvidia injectors work.