[How To] Install Leopard Retail DVD on ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 (core i7)

M J

925 posts in this topic

Please don't send me pm's asking for troubleshooting. Firstly, I don't have time. Secondly, there's a thread full of people having the same problems as you, and full of some other people willing to help you out. If you solve your problem on the public forum, other people will be able to take advantege of it!

Thank you.

***Update Jun 4, 2009***

A small update for our audio card, check out section "I". We now get almost everything out of the back panel right. Front panel won't work though, and the microphone will register at a very low volume. This will likely be the last update I do, waiting for a 10.5.7 guide by somebody else (sorry, but I have no time for it).

***Update Mar 15, 2009***

!!! IMPORTANT UPDATE !!!

We get microphone with this one!! Plus, I fixed the ethernet problem (hopefully) once for all and I uploaded a correct EFI_pack version.

***Update Jan 13, 2009***

Updated several things according to the experience of these days. In particular steps C and G. Look for changes if you can't get your installation to work.

***Update Jan 10, 2009***

Updated step F to get the kernel working and uploaded the new EFI_pack. LAN still appears not to be working, we are troubleshooting this.

***Update Jan 8, 2009***

This guide is currently being tested, so things may not work as expected. Please refer to the discussion. The final version should be ready soon (meaning a few days or less).

***Update of the update Jan 6, 2009***

If you downloaded the new iso before the moment I'm writing this (6:55 pm GMT, Jan 6th 2009), you better download it again :) . I left the EFI strings for my graphic card in the first file I uploaded, so you would probably run into a kernel panic when you try to boot.

***Update Jan 6, 2009***

I linked to a new version of the Boot-132 iso. The new one will let you boot the installation just like the old one, but it will serve also as a recovery CD to boot into your hackintosh in case your EFI partition gets corrupted for any reason. If you will use it to boot into your already installed and updated Leopard you shouldn't have to enter anything at the Darwin prompt. I can't tell for sure as I have a duplicate voodoo kernel on my root partition, and I'm not even sure it handles the DSDT files, but well... just try it. If it doesn't boot without writing anything, write the same line as per the installation.

[first things first]

I love Mac! I started using it about a month ago at work, and it's brilliant... I fell in love! So I decided to try to install it on my new arriving PC. It took me 8-9 days to come to a fully working install, and only because of the help fo the other members of the forum, and of Google of course! Now, because I'm so magnanimous, I will tell you how to set things up to have your Hackintosh working in just a few hours ;)

Please beware that my installation was so complicated and non-linear that I'm doing a reconstruction work of the process by memory here, I will try to guide you through the settings that should avoid in the first place the problems (like kernel panics and so on) that I encountered. But since I don't have the time to test this guide by reinstalling my system, you are welcome to be my tester. If something doesn't work just post your issue here, we'll try to solve it and I'll update the guide.

Of course the best advice I can give you is to scroll in this moment to the bottom of the post, and have a look at the links I put there first. This will give you a basic knowledge of the things we are doing here, so that if any problem arises you will be able to solve it in a short time. But if you just can't resist, keep reading!

A. [let's get started]

1. Buy a copy of OS X Leopard (If you are a student go to the Educational Shop for a discount). I know they don't deserve it that much, since they made it so difficult to install Mac OS X on our PC's, but think of it as a donation for the struggle against Microsoft!

2a. Download iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 and install it, it's quick and it just works on our system. But you won't get apple updates! or

2b. Keep reading for your Vanilla Install.

TIP: I suggest you unplug all your HDD from your computer except for the one where you will actually install Leo, this will make things easier during the setup.

B. [mod you bios]

1. Update your BIOS. There are a thousand ways to do that, choose the one you prefer. I installed Vista on an old HDD and updated my BIOS from there, but you don't need to install Windows if you have a floppy disc. Anyway, I think it's better to update it BEFORE the installation, just to play on the safe side.

2. Mod your settings as follows:

- Main
                 - Storage Configuration
                      + Configure SATA as [AHCI]
            - Advanced
                 - CPU coonfiguration
                      + Intel ® HT Technology [Disabled]
                      + Active Processor Cores [1]
                      + A20M [Disabled]
                      + everything else [Enabled]
                 - Onboard Devices Configuration
                      + High Definition Audio [Enabled]
                      + Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]
            - Power
                 + Suspend Mode [Auto]
                 + Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]
                 + ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]
                 + ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
                 - APM Configuration
                      + Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]
            - Boot
                 - Boot Device Priority
                      + 1st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]
                      + 2nd Boot Device [Hard Drive]

C. [boot your Leopard DVD]

1. Burn the .iso you find attached at the bottom on a CD and reboot with it.

NOTE: The .iso comes with no graphic support. If you want to put your graphic kext in it you can do so by following Superhai's method. If you have Windows you have to extract the .iso, and use Transmac (google it) to copy the kext in the initrd.img file. Then burn the CD making sure you burn it as a bootable CD (ISOLINUX.BIN would be your boot file).

2. If you are asked to, press [F8] (this doesn't happen to everybody). When the Darwin prompt appears, press [ESC], eject the CD and put Mac OS X Leopard Retail DVD, wait about 10 seconds (till the green light stops blinking), press [ENTER] and then [F8]

3. Write rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk[n]s3 and press [ENTER]. Your installation should load now. You will have to substitute busratio=20 with busratio=22 if you own a i7 940, or busratio=24 with a 965. You will also have to substitute [n] with the right number. If you did as I told you, your number is 1. If you have more then one HDD or if your DVD is PATA try with a different number, starting from 0. If your DVD is not original, you will probably have to specify a different number instead of 3 as well.

4. Install Leopard!

NOTE: You will probably get an error stating something like:

Attempting to Determine CPU multiplier

Determined CPU: FSB multiplier to be 0

Says 0 but makes no sense... the kernel as shipped by apple will not support this and will cause the machine to reboot immediatly... Press y to continue or crt, alt, del to reboot.

Press y and keep going.

NOTE2: Your booting or installation might seem to freeze at times... just leave it there, ti will regain consciousness in a few minutes (up tp 7-10 minutes generally).

D. [reboot into your system]

1. When the system reboots at the end of the installation process, put the CD back in. Again, if you are asked press [F8]. At the darwin prompt press [ESC], write 80 and press [ENTER]. Then type rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk0s2. As stated above, substitute busratio=20 with the suitable number for your processor.

2. Follow the configuration process and boot into your newly installed Vanilla Leopard!

NOTE: Your system will probably look like it got stuck at some point while booting, leave it there, it may take 7-10 minutes to get past that point but it will eventually boot.

NOTE2: You might encounter kernel panics while booting. If it is something about graphics, append -x to the line above to boot in safe mode. If it says something like pmap_create kmem_alloc_wired append -legacy, which will trigger the system to boot in 32bit mode.

NOTE3: If you get stuck in the "Do you already own a Mac?" loop, append -s and at the prompt type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

type a password you choose here

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

After reboot enter with the root account and setup your user account. Don't use the root account!

E. [patch your DSDT]

This will enable you to have 4 cores +HT, it will stop those annoying pauses at bootup, and it will give you a DSDT ready for the 10.5.6 upgrade. How nice!

1. Download the patcher you find here, unzip it, for example, on your desktop, and double click on the DSDT Patcher file. When asked, enter 0 (zero) to emulate Darwin OS.

2. Open the terminal and type:

cd Desktop/DSDT_Patcher1 change directory to wherever you unzipped the patcher

nano Debug/dsdt.dsl open and modify the patched dsdt

delete the lines that start with Alias, change this:

Scope (_PR)
                  {
                      Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
                      Alias (P001, CPU1)
                      Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P002, CPU2)
                      Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P003, CPU3)
                      Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P004, CPU4)
                      Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P005, CPU5)
                      Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P006, CPU6)
                      Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P007, CPU7)
                      Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P008, CPU8)
                      Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Alias (P009, CPU9)
                      Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                  }

into this:

Scope (_PR)
                  {
                      Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
                      Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
                      Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
       }

Press Ctrl+O (that's the letter "o") and [ENTER] to save the file, then press Ctrl+X to close nano.

./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl run the patcher again (you will get 3 errors about files not existing or already existing, that's fine, don't worry about it)

cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml copy the DSDT to the root directory

F. [setup your EFI partition]

Tired of using the Boot-132 CD every time you want to start your PC? Just follow this guide. In Phase 4 step 3 use the extensions you find attached to this post in the EFI_pack_V3.zip. Then copy mach_kernel.voodoo, com.apple.Boot.plist and the patched DSDT.aml in /Volumes/EFI as in Phase 4 step 4. Also modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file, setting the right UUID and busratio to the bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo busratio=20 boot-uuid=UUID line. As the last thing, copy mach_kernel.voodoo to the system root directory as well.

NOTE: I still don't know why copying the voodoo kernel to the root directory is needed. According to the guide above you would only need it to be in the EFI partition, but it looks like the whole thing works only this way.

G. [update to 10.5.6]

1. Download 10.5.6 Combo Update and install it via USB stick or drive.

2. If you want to use VMWare, before rebooting download XNU Voodoo-Kernel 9.5.0 Release 1.0 Revision A and install it.

H. [install your graphic card drivers]

Since everybody has a different graphic card, there is no unique way to make it work. Search for your own device and follow instructions accordingly. If you can, use an EFI String.

I. [fix LAN and Audio]

For LAN open the terminal and type the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find and change <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

find and change <string>0x436211AB</string> to <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

find and change <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> to <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Press Ctrl+O (that's the letter "o") and [ENTER] to save the file, then press Ctrl+X to close nano.

For Audio you have two options, choose either one, NOT both:

1. At the moment this is the best option. Just follow the linked post's directions. We get the back panel working, plus the SPDIF line (not tested). Mute works as well. The bad things are that the front panel doesn't work, and the microphone registers at a very low volume, otherwise it's perfect.

If you are switching to this solution now from one of the old ones, be sure to revert to the original AppleHDA.kext

2. If you do want the front panel headphones line, you can choose this solution instead:

Backup and delete the existing AppleHDA.kext in your system Extensions folder, then install the attached AppleHDA.kext. This will give you back panel Line-Out, SPDIF Out, front panel Headphones-Out and front panel Microphone-In (even though it won't probably work). It might also cause a kernel panic when you shutdown the computer if you have previously stopped it. A little annoying, but not a major problem at all. And mute doesn't work

J. [reboot!]

Reboot (without the Boot-132 disc this time) and enable HT and all cores in the BIOS. At the darwin prompt type -v -f and press enter. If you can boot in a fully working system, it's time for the final step:

K. [get rid of the darwin boot prompt]

Mount the EFI partition and open the apple.com.Boot.plist file with any text editor. Set this:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
       	<string>No</string>

to this:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
       	<string>Yes</string>

L. [done :) ]

You can now reboot and use Apple Updater for any update!

Special thanks to:

All the guys in the Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs for helping me out in a few critical moments, and especially ccx4700 and THEHAWKs for finding the way to get all cores working.

Munky, for the Boot from EFI partition method and for finding a way to boot using a custom kernel.

The New Modified Boot-132 and all the guys that made it possible.

Gary for getting our sound card to the next step.

Insanelymac.

Google.

And all the users that posted solutions to every kind of problem, from kernel panic to wifi, which would be too long to list here!

Attachments:

Asus P6T Deluxe Boot-132 v3

EFI_pack_v3.zip (2,5 MB)

AppleHDA.kext.zip (1,3 MB) !!use only if you choose method 2!!

Asus_P6T_Deluxe.iso.zip (2,8 MB) old, don't use!

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip (84 KB) old, don't use!

Asus_P6T_Deluxe_Boot-132.iso.zip (2,9 MB) not working, don't use!

EFI_pack.zip (2,5 MB) old, don't use!

EFI_pack_v2.zip (2,5 MB) old, don't use!

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext.zip (4 KB) not working, don't use!

Fixed it ;)

In a few minutes I'll update the missing part, the BIOS setup for the Power Management... I can't remember it and I have to reboot to see it, then it should be done! [done]

If you try it let me know if everything works or if something has to be changed.

Thank you for that great tutorial. I'm eager to try it out, but still couldn't decide wether to go for Gigabyte UD5 or Asus P6T.

As far as I see only audio isn't fully working with your solution? Could you comment on VMWare/Parallels-Status yet?

Thanks in advance, appreciate your work!

Yes, Audio is the only thing that's only partially working. As I don't do sound registrations and don't have a 5.1 HiFi system, but just a stereo set, I don't have any problem at all with that.

I still haven't looked into VMWare/Parallels, and i won't for some time as i have to get back to my studies. But since you end up having an (almost) vanilla install there shouldn't be any major problem (I'm speculating here). The only thing that might give troubles is that we are using the voodoo kernel instead of the vanilla...

When I boot from your custom .iso, I just get a persistent cursor. The only time it worked was when I first booted, forgetting that I had my old iDeneb install still plugged in. It booted and saw that HD. But with only a blank HD connected...nothing. I tested another Boot-132 CD I have, and it did work with the blank HD. I'm happy to help troubleshoot this, but I will admit that I don't know enough about Boot-132 to figure this out on my own.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

- JD

@johnathandoe: can you tell me what other iso you tried? Also, there might be something wrong with your BIOS settings. In the "Boot" section make sure that your blank HD is listed as bootable.

@jimmy: I have no idea, I think it should work with similar settings, you should see if the specs are similar between the two MB's.

I noticed that the Rampage II Extreme uses a Jmicron controller, that the P6T Deluxe doesn't have. So you'd have to add that to the kexts i guess, there are a few threads on this forum about Jmicron. The rest should be the same, and they share the same LAN and Audio devices.

I noticed that the Rampage II Extreme uses a Jmicron controller, that the P6T Deluxe doesn't have. So you'd have to add that to the kexts i guess, there are a few threads on this forum about Jmicron. The rest should be the same, and they share the same LAN and Audio devices.

i using p35 board also having the jmicron thing. i disabled in my bios coz i dun think i need that. I think the jmicron controller is to handle IDE ports. Since i only use SATA so i guess its not important for me.. Im not sure about others.

@vailancer: i also think it's used only for IDE, so yo can simply disable it and it won't give you any problem.

@jimmy: first, it has to be cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml, the upper-case is very important here. also, you probably are not familiar with the terminal, but for many commands you get an output only if there are errors. otherwise it seems that nothing happens. type ls /, you should see your DSDT.aml listed there, so that means you cpoied it.

The first "error" is normal, because this time he is not retrieving the DSDT from the BIOS, but from a file. He tries to delete files that he creates while retrieving it from the BIOS, but there are none of course. Nothing to be worried about!

The second one is not normal. Check if you didn't mispelled something. Also, you should see the dsdt.aml file on your desktop, since you run the patcher from there... well just try to find that file. if you type ls in the terminal it will give you a list of all the files and folders in the folder you are in at the moment. Let me know how it goes.

And thank you for troubleshooting the guide!

it might be a problem of permissions... it's the only thing i can think of... can you follow the procedure again and post screenshots (or copy paste) of everything that you type and you get in the terminal since the beginning?

At what point is the .aml file created.

No matter what I do it doesnt create when I run the patcher.

I tried repairing permissions but still nothing.

When I run the CTRL-O should I be renaming the file to .aml at that point?

I tried everything step by step exactly.

Thanks

JN

One other thing.

The installer I am using has 4 DSDT patcher options

should I maybe use one of them?

regular, regular -f, newHPET and newHPET -f

At what point is the .aml file created.

No matter what I do it doesnt create when I run the patcher.

I tried repairing permissions but still nothing.

When I run the CTRL-O should I be renaming the file to .aml at that point?

I tried everything step by step exactly.

Thanks

JN

One other thing.

The installer I am using has 4 DSDT patcher options

should I maybe use one of them?

regular, regular -f, newHPET and newHPET -f

Hey Jimmy,

When using the patcher for the second time, to repatch the dsl file, do remember to input the extra data, meaning telling the patcher which file to repatch; otherwise you'll just do the same thing twice.

Could you perhaps show us exactly what code you are using in terminal (which commands)? It might clarify a few things.

Cheers, AiBear