HOW TO - INTEL GMA X3100 FULLY working!With Dual Monitor!

tim025

50 posts in this topic

first of all im get this working after 6 /7 months of hard reading. so i will not be posting kextx , plugins and stuff..

everyone who read the Milions posts about GMA x3100 knows where to get the trick combination of kexts..

and its a trial and error searching journey to get the combination that works for you......get used to single user and terminal basics commands as this will help not screw your system in every try.

so you are getting blank/black strange psychedelic distorted scream after boot with the kexts and natits that you try?? i was having this issues too for many , many months...now im playing games with toast running without any problems..dvd plug and play..FINALLY, TODAY I GOT THIS !! ALELUIA

so no more talking lets see how to make this happen :

1- just install the combination of kextx with kext helper app. repair permissions and reboot with -f , just in case. get your white/black psychedelic cubist scrambled scream for the last time in your life... the trick is :

2-Reboot with one external monitor attached on your laptop, if you dont have one get one for one day of a friend , if your laptop dont have and external monitor plug, welll, than i dont know how to do it and you must leave this post with no more reading...

3-after reboot u must be able to see the background image of your desktop on the external monitor , and your lap top will have black/white scrambled scream , if you dont see nothing,the combination of kextx and natit is not working for your hardware/laptop..try other combinations around this forum.

ps :if you see the background image on the external monitor go further, you will notice that the image is at LEAST twice big as it should so you will not be able to see the dock, finder and stuff like your hds, desktop files etc.....

4-click shift+alt+u to open system utilities it should open on your scream, if dont, i really dont know how to make it open on your visible part of the scream.. an exemple of possible issue,for me i use 4 spaces the sistem profiler open in an part of the desktop that im not able to get there to read..but system utilities does shows up in the right spot.. :)

5- Inside system utilities find display ,something like that, and run it , if you dont find use the search bar on your upper right ...the Display is the tool located at system preferences.. its easy to find with the search bar its icon is a light interuptor switch.pratice some search... :D INSIDE THIS TOOL CLICK "GATHER WINDOWS"to give you the both displays changing tool to one scream,in this case your external monitor thats is the one is working for now :)

6-Now its time to change the resolution of your INTERNAL display (on my it was at 800x600 and that was all the troubles with the scrambled screams nothing more, just that.... sleep trick,strings,edid blablabla my ^$)change the reso. to one that your laptop supports, you should find it by your own ... mine was 1280x724x70 the only available close to the native one... your internal display should work after applying a resolution that its support on the display utility..... mine was with artifacts and distorted, but we will get done with this later at step 8!

7-Remove your external monitor cable and reboot with your finger at the power button for 5 seconds than turn it on again...

8-Now you will be able to boot in your osx and see the artifacts of the wrong reso. setting but already with quartz support etc(in my case i have artifacts because my resolution should be set as 1280x800x60), now to get done with the artifacts you need to install SwitchResX and make a custom resolution for you laptop save it and apply ... reboot and VOILA you have 100% working videocard with ALMOST NO ARTIFACTS...

just my mouse is slower because of natit PLEASE ANYONE WITH SOME TIP IN THIS TOPIC??? and sometimes at some boot (i will say 1 in 5 boots),the artifacts became quite bad for icons (just for icons, and sometimes for dock icons) a reboot will solve this.... a reboot and 100% running system not quite a biiig trouble !!!!!

PS !!!!: This, maybe, cannot solve your problems, im not responsible for nothing that anyone can do to an OS, you should try this at your own risk, learn terminal basics that you will have no worries to do anything i tell here..........................

thats what i do and it worked, you can try....but be aware this can really make things work! if you are without ideas i got one for ya people! heheheh :) ALL THE BEST and KEEP OSX86 project ALIVE

thanks talk soon.... this was my first post after read million posts .. and my english is terrible sorry for that.. but i had to share my victory with other members and readers here... thats a must do in any forum share your victorys share your knowlodge, make it stronger.

MERRY Christmas and a Great new Year for everyone... now you can play the dvd you recorded on your trip with family or friends, right on your hackintosh!!! :)

EDIT 1 - STEP 5 updated !!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2 - Screamshot of dual monitor with game running on internal and system profile on external..

post-331422-1230487079_thumb.png

I have an HP 6710b lapy with GMA965 x3100 graphics card 2a02-00c, 1680x1050 analysis, I've drawn some conclusions by using AJ Allen's kexts (FB 1.5.18 and 1.5.24 the rest), native 10.5.5 kexts (v1.5.24) and the latest 10.5.6 AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts (v1.5.36). What works for me is any version of the rest AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts BUT ONLY AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext v1.5.24. Natit.kext doesn't make any difference if it's installed or not. When I say "works" means that I have the resolution (1680x1050), I have no mouse or menu artifacts plus QE/CI. But I lack of proper wake meaning that when my lapy exits sleep mode even though everything is working the screen doesn't fully wake up as only backlight turns on. I'm pretty sure it is the same reason I cannot play any game like Half life 2 (again only backlight is working but the game is running ok as far as I can judge by VLCing to my lapy). If instead of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext v1.5.24 I use the v1.5.18 (as indicated by AJ Allen) then I get proper waking up but no QE/CI + mouse pointer artifacts. SwitchRes doesn't make any difference nor natit.kext does.

Hope I helped, but I hope more that I get some help for my "insomnia" problem. I urge people like tim025 to publicize their success/failure story. Thanks tim025 for sharing!

any solution for desktop users

is your videocard a gma x3100 ? you have dual monitor possibilitie on it?

try see if any of the monitor outputs is running after instaling the kexts and than change the resolution of the orther ( secondary one)to one that it supports .. ... just try, make some tests... learn more about everything.

hope i help,in mi view this sould work for anyone desktop or laptop with dual monitor.

I cannot play any game like Half life 2 (again only backlight is working but the game is running ok as far as I can judge by VLCing to my lapy). If instead of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext v1.5.24 I use the v1.5.18 (as indicated by AJ Allen) then I get proper waking up but no QE/CI + mouse pointer artifacts. SwitchRes doesn't make any difference nor natit.kext does.

Hope I helped, but I hope more that I get some help for my "insomnia" problem. I urge people like tim025 to publicize their success/failure story. Thanks tim025 for sharing!

i have the same for the game Urban Terror... but thats the only one that doesnt work here .

For me if i remove Natit i get scrambled scream at reboot again, and, if i dont chagnge the resolution for one right on the spot for my LCD i will have a lot of artifacts .... my system is using dsdt.aml patch...

For the sleep trick i tried Halt Restart and some other kexts with no lucky at all, i really dont care about it anymore if a solution shows up i willl grab it but for now im cool with my OS state, im so happy that this is the last update, system adjust i will made etc(only if better options get available i will try) or a wireless 4965 shows up stable at iwi darwin group.

now 10.5.6 ...98% working to the rest of this laptop life rsrsrs, finally its stable like a rock.(no built in wireless or camera and no sleep trick), now the processor doesnt burn watching movies, im in Brazil and here is hot,very hot ,my laptop was suffering a lot now on summer ...

Instead of External Monitor you can use Screen Sharing, set it up without the graphics kexts then boot with them and connect with other computer, if it is a windows or linux you can use VNC also to connect.

Now with more testing .. the artifacts show to be more stable..just 1 in 10 boots will give me artifacts...

And my dual monitor is working very good, alredy leave the extra monitor aways plugged when booting.

now i can work with audio softwares in rewire with more freedom....and made better use of the spaces interface.

My Mouse still slow beacause of the modified Natit.kext, any suggestion here??

thanks a lot all the best

Well I thought I tried everything to my graphics card working, I will have to try this now! ^_^ I will post my results...

Now with more testing .. the artifacts show to be more stable..just 1 in 10 boots will give me artifacts...

And my dual monitor is working very good, alredy leave the extra monitor aways plugged when booting.

now i can work with audio softwares in rewire with more freedom....and made better use of the spaces interface.

My Mouse still slow beacause of the modified Natit.kext, any suggestion here??

thanks a lot all the best

You might want to try EFI strings, removes the need for Natit.kext. :D

You might want to try EFI strings, removes the need for Natit.kext. ^_^

please post your results when done...

and this efi strings , i read a lot of the posts by hacktrix..hex decoding really isnt my area, i read about to understand i see that is not hard to do... but im not confortable doing that ... but thanks a LOT for this tip now i have more to study and see if i can get rid of this damn natit ...

thanks mate , talk soon

Well I worked a bit on it, I am not sure if I can get Finder to show up or not on my external monitor (it is at the monitor's native resolution, but Finder isn't started). I am going to bed now, I will have to work on it a bit more tomorrow morning and I will post my results! By the way, I have a Sony VAIO CR510E.

Well I worked a bit on it, I am not sure if I can get Finder to show up or not on my external monitor (it is at the monitor's native resolution, but Finder isn't started). I am going to bed now, I will have to work on it a bit more tomorrow morning and I will post my results! By the way, I have a Sony VAIO CR510E.

the finder will not show up, and the dock will not show too.. just click shift+alt+u to get on system ultilities folder and from there make a search (on the search box),for Displays or Display. Inside Displays App you should find the place to change the resolution of the internal LCD and click apply...than folow the rest of the guide.

where is the location of the kext files and kext helper? :(

the combination of kexts to install you should find by your own...than its just open kext helper app, drag the kexts there , put your root password and click install... it will installl automatic in the right spot. you need search more and read more the whole forum before ask questions like this here in this post.. read the start of my post you should learn some terminal basics too, thats for your health on osx system.... please no basic questions here just read.. make some study. try harder to understand the things you read before asking stuff .

all the best

the finder will not show up, and the dock will not show too.. just click shift+alt+u to get on system ultilities folder and from there make a search (on the search box),for Displays or Display. Inside Displays App you should find the place to change the resolution of the internal LCD and click apply...than folow the rest of the guide.

My findings so far are:

With framebuffer 1.5.18:

My laptop's display has a blue screen and the external monitor shows a black background and two cursors. One cursor stuck in the top left corner, another that is my actual cursor. Nothing else shows, but if I turn on voice over, I can hear everything is running (Finder, etc.). Changing the resolution (through voiceover) does nothing, however, it has multiple resolution selections, but the only one that is closest to mine is 1280x768 (my native resolution is 1280x800). System Profiler mentions nothing about an internal screen being connected (probably because it doesn't detect one), and it also mentions absolutely nothing about QE/CI, nothing about whether it is enabled or disabled, nothing at all.

With framebuffer 1.5.24:

My laptop's display has a blue screen and the external monitor shows my background. However, it fades to blue every few seconds if I have sleep enabled. If I disable sleep, it shows my background with a blue film over it. However, I can't turn on voice over, and I don't believe the system boots up completely.

If you want more info, ask me and I will give it to you. I am kinda busy today, so I will give you more info later if I discover more.

My findings so far are:

With framebuffer 1.5.18:

My laptop's display has a blue screen and the external monitor shows a black background and two cursors. One cursor stuck in the top left corner, another that is my actual cursor. Nothing else shows, but if I turn on voice over, I can hear everything is running (Finder, etc.). Changing the resolution (through voiceover) does nothing, however, it has multiple resolution selections, but the only one that is closest to mine is 1280x768 (my native resolution is 1280x800). System Profiler mentions nothing about an internal screen being connected (probably because it doesn't detect one), and it also mentions absolutely nothing about QE/CI, nothing about whether it is enabled or disabled, nothing at all.

With framebuffer 1.5.24:

My laptop's display has a blue screen and the external monitor shows my background. However, it fades to blue every few seconds if I have sleep enabled. If I disable sleep, it shows my background with a blue film over it. However, I can't turn on voice over, and I don't believe the system boots up completely.

If you want more info, ask me and I will give it to you. I am kinda busy today, so I will give you more info later if I discover more.

In any of this situations shift + alt + u dont give you the system utilities folder?.. you should be able to see the background i think but you can try the combo hotkey to see if utilities folder came up anytime after the system boots

im using the 1.5.18 FB and my natit seems to be a modified one...

so i will post both files here attached to this post ...try with the diferent natit im posting .see if it have the same size as your. but even if it have give it a try with the tree FB that you have..(your 2 and this one im sending just in case, after all this confusing kexts my FB could be Modded too), with this mod Natit i think it should go good ..i already try other natits with no luck at all this one is the only one that works for me.

attached below

Natit_and_x3100FB_.zip

In any of this situations shift + alt + u dont give you the system utilities folder?.. you should be able to see the background i think but you can try the combo hotkey to see if utilities folder came up anytime after the system boots

im using the 1.5.18 FB and my natit seems to be a modified one...

so i will post both files here attached to this post ...try with the diferent natit im posting .see if it have the same size as your. but even if it have give it a try with the tree FB that you have..(your 2 and this one im sending just in case, after all this confusing kexts my FB could be Modded too), with this mod Natit i think it should go good ..i already try other natits with no luck at all this one is the only one that works for me.

attached below

Shift+alt+u doesn't bring up the utilities folder in either situation. I will try your modded files tomorrow, thanks (today has been a busy day and I haven't had much time to test stuff in OS X).

SWEET!!!! External monitor works with your kexts! Now, I have to change the resolution and reboot and see if the internal works! Will post results.

EDIT: Nope, internal display doesn't work. However, system profiler reports fully working QE/CI. Natit.kext also has problems loading, which I juist discovered is because of a permissions problem. I guess I need to manually set the permissions. Once I do that and try again, I will post my results.

EDIT2: Nope still didn't work, however, now that my external display works I can probably do EFI strings or DSDT patching and get it to work. I will let you guys know if it works.

SWEET!!!! External monitor works with your kexts! Now, I have to change the resolution and reboot and see if the internal works! Will post results.

EDIT: Nope, internal display doesn't work. However, system profiler reports fully working QE/CI. Natit.kext also has problems loading, which I juist discovered is because of a permissions problem. I guess I need to manually set the permissions. Once I do that and try again, I will post my results.

EDIT2: Nope still didn't work, however, now that my external display works I can probably do EFI strings or DSDT patching and get it to work. I will let you guys know if it works.

at SWEEt -> you are getting closer to have this working, stay firm on your trials.. you will have this running...

at edit 1-> so your card is fully supported now ... when you open displays utility is tells you that you have 2 monitors ? main and external? you MUST switch the resolution of the internal one! CLICK GATHER WINDOWS inside displays utility to bring both displays changing tools for your external monitor and then change the reso for internal display to one very close to the native one (usually at 60hz)... see attached screamshot to get what im saying. my kext helper application set the permissions for me, you can repair permission before reboot just in case.

at edit 2-> im using DSDT paching here, i have 2 error compiling it, buuuut, i force compile and use it.. its works very good here, i just have one problem enhanced speedstep 1.4.0 sometimes give me kernel panics very esporadic ones, waiting for a new version come out as the beta 1.4.5 gives me instantly kernel panic at boot.

Anyway im using 10.5.6 combo update on leo4all v3final.

I have an HP 6710b lapy with GMA965 x3100 graphics card 2a02-00c, 1680x1050 analysis, I've drawn some conclusions by using AJ Allen's kexts (FB 1.5.18 and 1.5.24 the rest), native 10.5.5 kexts (v1.5.24) and the latest 10.5.6 AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts (v1.5.36). What works for me is any version of the rest AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts BUT ONLY AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext v1.5.24. Natit.kext doesn't make any difference if it's installed or not. When I say "works" means that I have the resolution (1680x1050), I have no mouse or menu artifacts plus QE/CI. But I lack of proper wake meaning that when my lapy exits sleep mode even though everything is working the screen doesn't fully wake up as only backlight turns on. I'm pretty sure it is the same reason I cannot play any game like Half life 2 (again only backlight is working but the game is running ok as far as I can judge by VLCing to my lapy). If instead of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext v1.5.24 I use the v1.5.18 (as indicated by AJ Allen) then I get proper waking up but no QE/CI + mouse pointer artifacts. SwitchRes doesn't make any difference nor natit.kext does.

i removed the AppleLPCdisplay.kext or something like that , i dont remember really well the name of this kext, but since i removed it i have proper sleep resume.... i hope you are folowing this "journal"..

all the best in your new year

post-331422-1230466591_thumb.png

at edit 1-> so your card is fully supported now ... when you open displays utility is tells you that you have 2 monitors ? main and external? you MUST switch the resolution of the internal one! CLICK GATHER WINDOWS inside displays utility to bring both displays changing tools for your external monitor and then change the reso for internal display to one very close to the native one (usually at 60hz)... see attached screamshot to get what im saying. my kext helper application set the permissions for me, you can repair permission before reboot just in case.

No it doesn't detect my internal display. That is where my problem lies. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was thinking I could probably modify Natit.kext or something to get it to recognize my display.

No it doesn't detect my internal display. That is where my problem lies. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was thinking I could probably modify Natit.kext or something to get it to recognize my display.

im out of ideas .hum.. let me think...PM me an email so i can send you all my graphics kexts in one big pack,APPLY DSDT patch AND update to 10.5.6 with standalone combo to have the system as close to mine as possible and than try with all my kexts intaled at once.

if it dont work another idea:

im sure you will find a way or hotkey to exchange internal for the external monitor so you can bring the external to your internal monitor.. and than you just keep trying make the external one work with your lap running with just the internal one ....full support etc.

i think if you got this working everyone will got this too since all the issues must be it if more issues come by i dont have more ideas to share by now :unsure:

thanks for testing so promptly as you will be the only one i will directly help... .

wait your pm

im out of ideas .hum.. let me think...PM me an email so i can send you all my graphics kexts in one big pack,APPLY DSDT patch AND update to 10.5.6 with standalone combo to have the system as close to mine as possible and than try with all my kexts intaled at once.

if it dont work another idea:

im sure you will find a way or hotkey to exchange internal for the external monitor so you can bring the external to your internal monitor.. and than you just keep trying make the external one work with your lap running with just the internal one ....full support etc.

i think if you got this working everyone will got this too since all the issues must be it if more issues come by i dont have more ideas to share by now :unsure:

thanks for testing so promptly as you will be the only one i will directly help... .

wait your pm

PM sent. If your solution doesn't work, I have many more ideas to try, and if any of them work I will let you know.

PM sent. If your solution doesn't work, I have many more ideas to try, and if any of them work I will let you know.

please do share here in this post anything that works...

im talking to hacktrix and she is helping me out with efi strings i just send her the ioregdump of this machine, im very happy with the possible get rid of natit slow mouse issues and some system GUI freezes :)

\

some sluterring in audio with speedstep enhancer that i experience today in driving me nuts traktor pro and itunes gives some distrotion and crazy play back only experienced once today....already made a issue report at google code group, let see what they can do about, aaa speedstep 1.4.0 gives me some kernel panics after many hours of running my os ,just to point that out, the beta one arrrgh 1.4.5 instant kernel panic at boot..

.BUT i MUST SAY this speedstep project is a real tool for prevent processor melting..BEWARE its working but with issues. im using it but before gigs i unload all the problematic kext, or before tasks i want it unloaded. its a pain but for now im ok with that..

Tim,

Thank you....Thank you.....Thank you....THANK YOU!!!! Thank you for all your hardwork and effort to make this work....I had tried so many different methods but nothing seems to work. After trying your method, I was actually able to get my graphics card working to full capacity (QE/CI) and change the resolution to fit my screen size (with a little help from SwitchResX). I am running 10.5.2 on a Sony Vaio VGN-CR320E . I think that this trick you have discovered will HELP A LOT of people and we are all really grateful for you sharing the knowledge. I used the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and Natit.kext that you posted in Post #13 and the remaining GMAX3100 kexts from another post on another topic. I also made sure AppleIntelIntegratedBuffer.kext was removed. Have you had any luck getting your ethernet or WiFi to work? I know there is alot of work being done on the WiFi card, but I did not know if you got the Ethernet working on your Vaio. Thanks again buddy and let me knowi if you need help with any testing!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TIM025!!!!!! After 3 months of hard work trying to get this graphics card to work, your solution worked PERFECTLY, using your kexts, everything went as planned. However, something I might want to note is that instead of repairing permissions, I did chmod and chown on each kext file I installed, which by the way, included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext if anybody was wondering.Thanks a TON! :wink2:

EDIT: Yep, DSDT Patching works!!! I don't have to use the sleep trick anymore! Oh, and BTW, I don't seem to have the mouse problems that you do, my mouse is very responsive.

EDIT2: Sleep seems to be working flawlessly too! :bag:

EDIT3: I'm an idiot, DSDT patching wasn't ever needed...

thank you all that have the "balls" to try...

im retiring of this post as two success were confirmed.

i hope other members acting in this post can help future users asking here...

if everyone that got it working reading here can help next member, it must go sweet, and everyone that visit this topic go sleep with a gma x3100 full working . :P

all the best

have a safe new year.

no need for apleintegratedframebuffer.kext... i remove it too.

DSDT patching make our life easier to make this happen i have discovered, make DSDT patching before trying this method should help.

but i think isnt required.

Thank you so much!

Thinkpad T61 7658

GMA X3100

Vendor: 0x8086

Device: 0x2a02

Revision: 0x000c

I've got corrupted screen since day one of my retail install and now with SwitchResX it is fixed. QE and CI work, dual screen works, and sleep works too. Some funny things happen during monitor switching but nothing major. Now I can set screensaver, use keynote and pages, play movies (although sound skipping is another issue).

Thanks again for your time