Blue screen with Intel 915GM on iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

msingh

10 posts in this topic

Have researched this extensively using Google. Looked at :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110176

Machine :

Old Acer Travelmate 2420 with an Intel 915GM video card, atheros wireless and realtek ethernet card.

iDeneb 1.3, 10.5.5 without any patches

Install :

Went through finally after a few reinstalls (had to work around boot1: error type problems).

Now, I just get a cursor-less blue screen at the end, with (sometimes) the intro music and vocal instructions for the voice over etc.

What I have tried :

Connected the VGA output to my TV, which does not work - get an OSD style message on the TV (this has nothing to do with the Mac) which asks me to set the video mode to 1024x768@60Hz. I reboot, press a key, pass the following kernel command line :

mach_kernel -v "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

Same thing happens.

Tried omitting the bit depth 32 above. No change.

Do not want to try the paper clip method - I plan to continue using this laptop for making presentations and the idea of shorting two pins, even if it fixes the display problem, appears daft to me.

Returning to the URL above :

1. When I look into /System/Library/Extensions, I find a bunch of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext type files. Given that I am running an OS that was released barely a few weeks ago, and that URL is older than that, I am guessing that the OS developers took care of that.

2. I have no way of transferring the GMA900 files to this machine. I have only command line access and do not know how to mount any USB keys or DVD/CD or network this machine. Which is kind of funny given that I can do such things in my sleep on a Linux machine.

Is there a kernel option that I can pass to work around this somehow, given how close I am to getting this to work.

Paperclip, real Monitor attached or fixed AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext are the 3 Options you have. I would do first the Paperclip Trick and then install the Fixed FrameBuffer kext, so it wont need the Paperclip after Restart.

Thanks for the response.

Wouldn't the paper clip burn out video card (you are forcing the voltage on two pins of the VGA o/p to be equal across a near zero resistance) ? Unless the VGA o/p is a current source, I do not see how that does not damage the video card.

Would this fixed file enable hardware acceleration to work properly ?

Wouldn't the paper clip burn out video card (you are forcing the voltage on two pins of the VGA o/p to be equal across a near zero resistance) ? Unless the VGA o/p is a current source, I do not see how that does not damage the video card.

Never heard of a damage with this Trick, so I guess the ~60to80 Ohm is not enough for that. Myself had this trick for 2 Years, but after the fixed FrameBuffer I disconnected those 2 Pins.

Would this fixed file enable hardware acceleration to work properly ?

No, FrameBuffer gives you the ability to change resolution and chance to have HW Acceleration.

For HW Acceleration you need to change ID in Intel GMA Drivers with some HexEdit or use the AppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler, witch loads the original not changed Drivers for older GMA Models.

Never heard of a damage with this Trick, so I guess the ~60to80 Ohm is not enough for that. Myself had this trick for 2 Years, but after the fixed FrameBuffer I disconnected those 2 Pins.

Ok.

No, FrameBuffer gives you the ability to change resolution and chance to have HW Acceleration.

For HW Acceleration you need to change ID in Intel GMA Drivers with some HexEdit or use the AppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler, witch loads the original not changed Drivers for older GMA Models.

Is this distro dependent ? I am using iDeneb.

Paperclip, real Monitor attached or fixed AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext are the 3 Options you have. I would do first the Paperclip Trick and then install the Fixed FrameBuffer kext, so it wont need the Paperclip after Restart.

Just tried the paperclip trick. Connected pins 6 and 12 as indicated in :

http://en.dogeno.us/2008/06/mac-osx-1051-k...ad-t43-2668aju/

Does not work. Still have blue screen as before.

Tried external monitor, but external monitor complains that it needs 1024x768@60Hz. Hard coded that into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, but it still will not work.

Its almost that the Intel drivers are not even being loaded. How do I check / fix what is going on ? Is there some other distro I can try ? What distro do you use ?

Just tried the paperclip trick. Connected pins 6 and 12 as indicated in :

http://en.dogeno.us/2008/06/mac-osx-1051-k...ad-t43-2668aju/

Does not work. Still have blue screen as before.

Tried external monitor, but external monitor complains that it needs 1024x768@60Hz. Hard coded that into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, but it still will not work.

Its almost that the Intel drivers are not even being loaded. How do I check / fix what is going on ? Is there some other distro I can try ? What distro do you use ?

I had like 1-6 and 2-12. But OK, lets delete the not-working FrameBuffer:

1. Boot into Single User Mode with: -s

2. Mount the OSX Partition with : mount -uw /

3. Delete the FB: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

4. Reboot with: -f -v

On my Core2Duo with X3100 I use the same iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5, but on my older CeleronM with GMA 915 I use macdotnub 10.4.10, cause the damn GMA 915 is too buggy for me in Leopard: Mouse Artifacts (thats the main reason :D), OpenGL slow or does not work correctly.

Is this distro dependent ? I am using iDeneb.

Yes, its for all Leopard releases, so its for iDeneb too.

I had like 1-6 and 2-12. But OK, lets delete the not-working FrameBuffer:

1. Boot into Single User Mode with: -s

2. Mount the OSX Partition with : mount -uw /

3. Delete the FB: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

4. Reboot with: -f -v

On my Core2Duo with X3100 I use the same iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5, but on my older CeleronM with GMA 915 I use macdotnub 10.4.10, cause the damn GMA 915 is too buggy for me in Leopard: Mouse Artifacts (thats the main reason :P ), OpenGL slow or does not work correctly.

Yes, its for all Leopard releases, so its for iDeneb too.

I did not see your post earlier, but I moved all the AppledIntelGMA* and AppleIntelFrameBuffer* files to /home and rebooted. Worked like a charm.

I do not know if I have acceleration yet. Wonder what would happen if I moved the GMA kexts and plugins/bundles back.

My system is also a celeron, but I have no artifacts.

I did not see your post earlier, but I moved all the AppledIntelGMA* and AppleIntelFrameBuffer* files to /home and rebooted. Worked like a charm.

I do not know if I have acceleration yet. Wonder what would happen if I moved the GMA kexts and plugins/bundles back.

You cant have it without drivers, what you moved.

My system is also a celeron, but I have no artifacts.

If you install the fixed FrameBuffer, they will appear with TextFields.