Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

MODS CLOSE THIS THREAD. IT IS FULL OF MISCONSTRUED INFORMATION.

news_mb_081027_e7aum-ds2h-3.jpg

Some info about this board was posted in the Hardware Section, but I figured I'd give this topic more face time in this section.

Gigabyte has recently released the GA-E7AUM-DS2H. This mobo is powered by Nvidia's 9400 chipset. A desktop version of the 9400m chipset found in the new unibody revisions of the Macbook/Macbook Pro. This baby supports Hybrid Sli as well as 16GB of DDR2 ram.

The specs are very nice...

Chipset : Nvidia Geforce 9400

Audio: Realtek 889a (Fully supported by OSx86)

Ethernet: Realtek 8211CL (Not 100% on this, but should work)

Video: Geforce 9400 via DVI, HDMI, or VGA output.

Full spec list at Gigabytes site: Here

Assuming this new chipset is supported, you'll most likely have to sport a 10.5.6 update or Macbook/Macbook Pro restore disc minimum to install.

Thoughts? Discuss. ;)

-Stell

I think this board ought to capture a substantial amount of attention. Looks like a Mini-killer, even if the new Mini arrives with the 9400 chipset.

I agree with you. I think the new mini will come loaded with the 9400 chipset.

-Stell

My home theater is currently run by a 2 gHz Mini with 3 gb RAM. With Plex, it plays all but two of my Blu-ray rips just fine, even with DD or DTS audio. This new board with an e6600 ought to be just perfect for problem-free playback of Blu-ray video without generating too much heat. I suspect it will be a very quiet setup, particularly inside a Lian Li HTPC box.

My home theater is currently run by a 2 gHz Mini with 3 gb RAM. With Plex, it plays all but two of my Blu-ray rips just fine, even with DD or DTS audio. This new board with an e6600 ought to be just perfect for problem-free playback of Blu-ray video without generating too much heat. I suspect it will be a very quiet setup, particularly inside a Lian Li HTPC box.

agreed

Yes, it's a nice board I must say. I have been playing with it for about a week now and I'm really satisfied with it. I bought it only because of the new macbooks. I'm running vista on it right now but that will change as soon as I can get osx on it. These few days gave me a flashback to why I switched to mac all those years ago: the hunt for drivers and overall system layout. Unfortunately I'm a total hackintosh noob so I guess that I have to wait for someone else to do the dirty work. :/

I will be scouring through the bbs and at least give it a try, but don't count on me getting it working. :D

Very nice board. I wonder if anybody will ever make a board without stuff like a floppy disk interface, serial interfaces, and IDE connectors? It just seems logical that you some company would get the smart idea to dump all of the legacy stuff and produce a slick modern board that didn't pay homage to the past. Lets face it 99% of us do not need any of those interfaces. It is just a waste of PCB space especially on these smaller boards.

Hey all. So I have some good news....

-Nvidia 9400 works 100% QE/CI. Only tested via DVI so far.

-Ethernet works oob and has proper bonjour/afp sharing support

-firewire works oob

-ahci working oob, but with device id added to ahci kext info you get info in sys profiler (picture below)

-Vanilla kernel works (from macbook restore disc)

-Sleep works and even wakes using usb keyboard on S3.

picture1mz4.png

More info to come soon. Of course you'll need a macbook/macbookpro unibody restore disc as of now.

Thanks to Signal64 for testing this stuff out for the curious crowd. ;)

-Stell

Signal64 ftw!

soon to be on the working list is : asus p5n7a-vm

not as easy as the gigabyte but hopefully fully operational soon.

-D-

sweeet! getting me one of these boards pretty soon :)

Signal64,

Wow good job.

I just got the board and using an IDE drive can get into safe mode 10.5.5. vanilla 9.2 kernel (iDeneb). Finds Quad processor, 8 gb ram.

Can't wait for a 10.5.6 package to do the full EFI. For now what injectors would get this working?

It seems to be hanging at the mDNSResponder(or maybe after). Tried Nait and it seems to find the IGP but non safe mode still hangs, AppleNforceATA won't find the SATA drives, but will try turning on AHCI after I'm sure vista won't freak out.

Any ideas on MCP7A,Realtek 8211CL kexts, please?

Sure enough turning on the AHCI and she found all the SATA drives. Tried different kernels but still only in safe mode though.

Signal64,

Wow good job.

I just got the board and using an IDE drive can get into safe mode 10.5.5. vanilla 9.2 kernel (iDeneb). Finds Quad processor, 8 gb ram.

Can't wait for a 10.5.6 package to do the full EFI. For now what injectors would get this working?

It seems to be hanging at the mDNSResponder(or maybe after). Tried Nait and it seems to find the IGP but non safe mode still hangs, AppleNforceATA won't find the SATA drives, but will try turning on AHCI after I'm sure vista won't freak out.

Any ideas on MCP7A,Realtek 8211CL kexts, please?

Sure enough turning on the AHCI and she found all the SATA drives. Tried different kernels but still only in safe mode though.

Raffi, you'll need 10.5.6 or Macbook/Pro 10.5.5 Restore disc. These will have the drivers for this chipset.

-Stell