RETAIL Snow Leopard 10.6.4/10.6.5 on HP HDX16/HDX18/DV6000/DV9000 Laptop

Newman Cook

116 posts in this topic

*Hardware list:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400

Video: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (10DE:0649)

Chipset: Intel ICH9M

Network: Realtek 8186C/8111C (10EC:8186)

Sound: Intel IDT HDA (111D:76B2, 8086:293E)

Wireless: Intel Wifi 5100

Card Reader: JMB 38x Controller

HP Webcam

1. What you need:

(Alternate download location: www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx)

*Get a copy of Snow Leopard RETAIL 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 DVD

*Download Nawcom Mod CD v.0.3 and burn to CD: blog.nawcom.com/?p=306

*Download Chameleon bootload installer package: chameleon.osx86.hu

*Boot from Nawcom Mod CD, remove the CD, insert Snow Leopard DVD, press F5 and select Mac OSX Install disc, then follow the screen to complete Mac OSX installation.

*When the installation is finished, boot from Nawcom Mod CD again, select your Mac OSX hard drive, wait until everything shows up, run Chameleon installation. Restart computer and you can boot directly from the hard drive without Nawcom CD.

*Download Snow Leopard Update 10.6.4 from Apple website and install it to your hard drive. Do not restart yet.

*Extract file Extra1064.zip and copy folder Extra to the root of your hard drive

*Restart the computer and enjoy fully working SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.4

(To update directly from 10.6.3 to 10.6.5, download the update 10.6.5 from Apple website and run install. Before restarting, go to /System/Library/Extensions folder and delete AppleProfileFamily.kext)

2. Install drivers:

(Alternate download location: www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx)

-Video card: automatically detected and set up by Mac OSX

-Network card: download the driver for Mac OSX from realtek website (www.realtek.com.tw) for Realtek 8186C card. Install the driver and you are ready to use wired connection

-Intel Wireless card: 5100 series not working at this time. If you have older series (2200, 3945, 4965) you can try the latest beta drivers from www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx/network

Try Airlink USB Wireless G adapter for $10 which uses Realtek chipset, fast and easy to install. You can also get a wireless N USB card for around $25. Contact me for more details if insterested.

-Sound card: Intel IDT HDA (111D:76B2, 8086:293E)

*Download and try VoodooHDA-2.7.1.pkg.zip or VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg.zip from http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloads/list

-JMicron Card Reader: Download VoodooSDHC package and install

-Other devices: HP Webcam should work out-of-the-box.

3. Make a backup image for your OSX hard drive or partition as it helps a lot for testing new drivers or updates

sleep/wake shutdown working ?

guess good news is, that the 9600M is working for you !

once you have a chance to test speedstep, and battery life.

was also wondering, how the heck the blueray player would work in leo

-Video card: download NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip and NVDarwin 1.2.3 before installing the video card. Your system may not boot up correctly after installing Leopard 10.5.5, but you can boot up with safe mode switch (-x) to bypass it. When you have Mac OSX loaded successfully, just run the installation from NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip first. After rebooting, install NVDarwin 1.2.3 next. Reboot the system again, you should have Geforce 9600M GT with full resolution and QE feature.

Just to give a step by step of above quote.

1. Boot with safe mode using

-x

2. Install NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip.

3. Re-Start. Wait until it re-starts itself. It may just sit there for a min or two. Let it Be.

4. boot with safe mode using

-x

5. Install NVDarwin 1.2.4 and reboot. again, let it sit there and it will reboot.

6. You should be able to boot without using safe mode.

I have hdx16 . did the same thing except i can only use NVDarwin 1.2.4. I restart got black screen. please help . PS i can't download NVDarwin 1.2.3 .

Get nvdarwin 1.2.3 from onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx

After I installed the nvdarwin for 9600m gt and then reboot. I got the black screen (computer is not freezing) I think it goes in go in to the osx. Maybe is Nvpm and NVCAP ? Please help.

Use safe mode switch -x at boot prompt with F8

i didn't get the wifi to work so i used a USB wifi which worked great

You can buy a cheap wireless G internal card from ebay (Dell 1390 or Atheros) and Leopard can detect it automatically

• 2 weeks later...

here is a succesful installation using iatkos 5i (i was never able to update from 4.1i no matter what i did)

I used chameleon bootloader, netkas smbios, dsmos thingie, voodoo kernel 9.5, PS/2 mouse, keyboard driver, intel sata ahci, orh, disabler, powermanagement removal, nvresmal removal, and graphics update from 5.5 on the installation.

Then I installed my graphics and sound card as they said above, with -x for both 9xxx series and nvdarwin, I chose 512 MB on nvdarwin and that was it.

Where can i download the jmicron x38 file for the card reader?

anybody got the external display to work? as soon as I clicked on detect displays I got a black screen and I had to hard power the computer down.

Its great to have full resolution on the computer :) and QE CI too.

Anybody using different settings than I have?

Or getting a " update safe system from the iatkos installation? I'd love to try that hehe

Successful install here using the iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 release. I managed to install it to a USB HD but this would not boot until i enabled owners (this seems to enable permissions on the partition)

I used terminal on my other hackintosh but this change may be possible during the install of iDeneb, After creating the new MBR partition and just before the install 'utilities' ==> 'terminal'

**edit i tried this yesterday and it didnt seem to work, looks like it needs to be performed by plugging the USB HD into another Hackintosh or Mac**

The following command enables owners on external drives: sudo vsdbutil -a /Volumes/'name of partition without quotes' (best to create a partition name without spaces eg. MacHD)

During the install I selected the ICH (7,8,9) Fix to stop internal drives appearing as external and the power management fix.

I downloaded the drivers from www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx (Thank you to Newman for hosting these)

After the install completes (if using external HD hit F9 to set the boot device to the external drive) at the boot prompt add -x to start in safe mode.

Once in safe mode i installed the NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2 rebooted into safemode again and installed NVDarwin 1.2.3. I selected the 512MB option and the Modified kexts. These Modified Kexts are stored in the applications folder and are best installed using Kext helper. Reboot no safe mode this time you should now have 1920x1080 resolution and QE + CI :-)

Realtek 8168C driver can be downloaded from Realtek: http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downlo...p;GetDown=false

IDT HDA was installed by using the two files from the IDT installer pakage from Newman Cook (installed using Kext Helper

Webcam and Bluetooth working out of the box!

Im tempted to get the Dell 1390 MiniPCI-E card to replace the Intel 5100, is anyone aware of the exact Atheros models that have native support in Leopard?

Cebrian at some point I will try installing the HDX16 from a Retail Leopard DVD + using chameleon EFI. The obvious downside of this is it will have to be completed from the external Leopard install but it may be easier to update and closer to a vanilla install. *EDIT* Installing from a retail DVD using the Dell Boot-132 method works great!

Hope this info helps.

hi all

tnx for great work Newman Cook

i have hdx-1640el

I have tried to replace the wifi with the bcm4311 that is recognized natively by leopard

but when I turn on my hdx-1640 the system it tells me that my wifi is not compatible and doesn't go on

someone of you has replaced the wifi if him with what model exactly

I have not understood a thing as it regards the audio if in works or no becouse only out works for me

excuse me for my english

thanks piper

Hi Piper,

I will order the Dell 1390 MiniPCI-E card which I believe is a Broadcom and recommended for native operation in Leopard, not sure what the chipset number is though. I will let you know how I get on with this card in my HP HDX161005EA.

Is the error with your Broadcom wireless shown in Leopard or at a bios level? Were the internal aeriel connections easy to remove from the old card and attach to the bcm4311?

Also has anyone got the internal mic or external mic port to work? Mic shows up under the audio preferences but has no options to set recording levels etc. as I mentioned in my previous posts I’m using the IDT HD audio kexts from Newman Cook.

I don't speak well the English

the problem with the broadcom 4311 are to level of bios

as it regards the audio I have resolved putting another applehda that I attach

with this applehda the have full work of mic internal and external

has someone tried the external exit of the second monitor??

tnx piper

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I managed to get full support from the hdmi port to a 1080i tv, I also did not install any network card as it was working from the get go.

I will give another try to the external monitor, but what did the trick for hdmi was starting the computer with it connected.

Edit: my tv did not work by using the external vga out even by starting up the computer with it connected, might be because im using a dvi to vga adapter (my tv is dvi). I don't know, has anyone tried connecting a monitor?

What kext did you use to get the mic working?

Also i installed the OHR (openhaltrestart) kext for shutdown problems, but im not able to shut down the computer, i am able to restart and even sleep and wake up. but no shutting down (I reset and hard power when the hp logo comes in)

Thanks for uploading the AppleHDA.kext piper ill give that a go tonight and post my experiences. We have different HDX laptops by the looks of things but Im guessing they both have IDT HD audio cards?

If the error with the wireless card is with the BIOS it would seem HP might be limiting wireless card use in their Laptops, to confirm are you also not able to start Windows and use the Broadcom 4311.

Has anyone with a HP HDX or similar successfully replaced the Intel 5100 wireless with a third party MiniPCI-E wireless card?

It’s still looking like the best options are the broadcom (BCM4311) 1390 and 1490 from Dell, I dont really want to have to add USB wireless.

Cebrian you mentioned that your wireless was working from the start, is this because your wireless card is broadcom/atheros or have you managed to get the Intel 5100 working some how?

I will add the OpenHaltRestart Kext and see if i get the similar issue with shutdown. I know it works correctly on my other Hack which uses an almost vanilla install (using Gigabyte P35-DS4)

Ive just found this topic which pretty much describes the problem with the wireless card, looks like the BIOS is the issue and hopefully this will resolve it. I wont be able to try this until I get the 1390 delivered.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75242

;)

Got it working on my HDX 18T running from an 8 GB usb key. Worgs great, but its obviously a bit slow on the boot :-).

Has anyone got it running from VMWare?

Is there a way to make these laptops boot from ESATA? I have a Terrabyte ESATA drive I was originally planning on installing all of this on, but it appears that ESATA is not a bootable option :-(

Thank you for all the hard work that went into this.

My new HDX 18t should arrive before Christmas. Presuming that these latest HP laptops continue to use a "white list" to block non HP-shipped mini-PCIE wireless cards from allowing the laptop to boot, the solution I prefer is the Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card. The one I have is Ralink based. Driver info at <http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117670>. However, Belkin IS notorious for changing chips without changing model numbers.

I don't like the idea of hot-swapping mini-PCIE cards OR modding the HP BIOS. The only negatives I see with the Belkin F5D8073 is that it occupies the Express card slot (but sticks out less & is probably faster than any USB stick) and will likely have less range than a mini-PCIE card that uses the built-in antennae.

The F5D8073 is typically available on ebay for around $30, shipped.

G

Thanks for uploading the AppleHDA.kext piper ill give that a go tonight and post my experiences. We have different HDX laptops by the looks of things but Im guessing they both have IDT HD audio cards?

If the error with the wireless card is with the BIOS it would seem HP might be limiting wireless card use in their Laptops, to confirm are you also not able to start Windows and use the Broadcom 4311.

Has anyone with a HP HDX or similar successfully replaced the Intel 5100 wireless with a third party MiniPCI-E wireless card?

It’s still looking like the best options are the broadcom (BCM4311) 1390 and 1490 from Dell, I dont really want to have to add USB wireless.

Cebrian you mentioned that your wireless was working from the start, is this because your wireless card is broadcom/atheros or have you managed to get the Intel 5100 working some how?

I will add the OpenHaltRestart Kext and see if i get the similar issue with shutdown. I know it works correctly on my other Hack which uses an almost vanilla install (using Gigabyte P35-DS4)

Ive just found this topic which pretty much describes the problem with the wireless card, looks like the BIOS is the issue and hopefully this will resolve it. I wont be able to try this until I get the 1390 delivered.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75242

:D

In order to use a different internal Wireless card with any HP or Compaq laptop, you must HACK the BIOS. You must be very sure of what you are doing because you can completely destroy the laptop BIOS and the laptop becomes useless.

Below are some basic steps to edit your BIOS:

*Open BIOS file WHP with Phoenix editor program

*Run Hex editor and open the ROM file TEMP folder of Phoenix program location

*Find the device and vendor string of the network card from the list

*Change the device information to a new network card and save the file

*Back to Phoenix editor and make changes to "BIOS Configuration Parameters" by selecting "Multiboot III" > "Boot Fail Recovery" > change Value to * to enable this option

*Save and rebuild the BIOS

If anyone is interested in how to hack the BIOS, I can share more epxerience with you.

My new HDX 18t arrived yesterday:

Hardware list:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz)

Video: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (10DE:0649)

Chipset: Intel ICH9

Network: Realtek 8186C/8111C (10EC:8186)

Sound: Intel IDT HDA (111D:76B2, 8086:293E)

Wireless: Intel Wifi 5100

Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card

Blu-Ray Combo Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L

Built-In Bluetooth

1X 250GB HDD

Card Reader: JMB 38x Controller

HP Webcam

HP Bluetooth Laser Mobile Mouse (HP P/N 45185-001)

HP xb3000 Expansion Base w/750GB HDD (shows up as USB-connected)

1) General comments: THANKS NEWMAN COOK!!! This is by far the smoothest/best OSX86 install I've seen on a non-Mac laptop (iDeneb 10.5.5).

Sound is especially complete. If I plug earphones into the earphone jack, the laptop speakers turn off & the earphones work.

When the laptop is on the Expansion base, the expansion base speakers automatically come on and if I plug earphones into the

earphone jack, the Expansion base speakers turn off & the earphones again work. Video functionality complete and fast.

2) Cautions:

A) I made the serious error of ordering mine with only 1 hard drive. The HDX 18t uses a different caddy and a proprietary SATA/power cable

for the drives...not the same design as the HP DV9000 and other similar HP laptops. I'm still researching, but HP apparently sells the caddy, cable,

screws and rubber bumpers each separately with a total price well North of $200 !!! Sooo, I'll use an external eSata case for now.

B) The HDX 18t power supply connector is not compatible with the xb3000. I continue to use the power supply that came with my DV9000.

The HDX 18t gets power from the docking connector when on the xb3000. Also note that the HDX 18t power supply is rated at 18.5V/6.5A, and

the DV9000 power supply is rated at 19V/4.7A. With the DV9000 power supply powering the Expansion base, the HDX 18t seems happy and

the DV9000 power supply does not even get warm.

3) Anomalies:

A) ASP shows:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 320 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0649

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.4

Why "320 MB" ??

B) Sleep seems to work OK, but there is no sound from any port upon wake from sleep.

4) What doesn't work in OSX86 (this is the shorter list, but I haven't tested every port):

A) The Intel Wireless card (as expected). The Ralink-based Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N Express Card works fine,

and avoids any need to fool with patching the BIOS.

B) The card reader.

I've only burned a couple of CDs and DVDs, but Disk Utility and Toast seem to work fine.

Don't yet have a Blu-Ray movie to check playback.

Will update if I discover anything new & significant.

G :dev:

has anybody gotten the dvd burner working?

the computer just freezes on me when i try to burn a dvd or even see the dvd configuration on the device manager.

its an optiarc bd rom drive with dvd burner.

I have the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L optical drive, and it seems to be fine so far in reading & burning CDs & DVDs.

Were you able to install with this drive ? Have you tried Toast or a free/free-trial burning program like Burn or LiquidCD ?

Does the burn function work OK in Windoze ?

Older versions of Mac OS were picky about burners, but OSX...especially Leopard... is pretty flexible.

There is an excellent program called "PatchBurn" available at < http://www.patchburn.de/>. However that site now says:

October 31/2007: I am releasing Patchburn 4.0.5 for Mac-OS X 10.4.x and Patchburn 3.1.8 for Mac-OS X 10.3.x. These are just maintenance releases. No major changes! There will be NO version for Leopard (10.5) so far. Apple changed its strategy to exclude 3rd party burners. As far as I could test it, there is no need for Patchburn under Mac-OS X 10.5 any more! If you have problems getting your writer to work under Leopard, email me.

End Quote

G :happymac: