Install Mac OS X on Dell GX520 Optiplex 10.5.2 - 10.5.5

harbot

19 posts in this topic

Hello All Im here again :P luckily that I have an extra machine on my side sitting, previously running on Windows XP.

I guess my hands got itchy so I decided to wipeout XP and tried to install Kalyway 10.5.2.

I have read on Insanely MAC that some people has successfully installed OS X on this machine but using JAS release and Kalyway old release.

I haven't found a step by step procedures on Installing Kalyway 10.5.2

Thanks

to : Insanelymac.com for the continuing support for this project and all contributors, testers and users.

So here it goes.

:!: First of all before you wipeout your current OS running on this machine make sure to get the LAN Mac Address or you may boot using ubuntu live CD to get your Mac Address

:) Working Parts :

Audio Full function out of the BOX

Video Intel 950 at 1280x1024 Resolution Out of the BOX !!!

Auto mount USB Device ( still working on this ) Found Solution See Below

LAN MAC Address is 00:00:00:00:00:00 Found Fix See Below

:!: Lets get started this you will need :

1. Make sure you have a USB DVD rom drive since GX520 come only with CD rom Drive while our Kalyway Installation is a DVD format

2. or you can install DVD Rom drive in replacement to the existing CD Rom drive

3. A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')

4. The Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')

5. The Official 10.5.4 DELTA update from here

6. The Official 10.5.5 update from here

Editing your BIOS on your GX520 when using External USB DVD Drive

You can skip this procedure if you are using internal IDE DVD Drive and you can just enable the settings back again to ON once you can successfully login to OSX

1. When GX520 boot-up press F2

2. Goto Drives > Disable PATA-0 and PATA-1 ( off )

3. Goto Onboard Devices, goto USB Controller and Front USB Ports make sure to set it 'ON'

4. Save and Restart GX520

Step by Step installation of OSX on your GX520

1. Insert the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk into your DVD drive

2. Start your GX520

3. When prompted to hit a key to boot from CD/DVD, hit a key.... you'll see a ton of text scroll up the screen - just sit tight

4. You'll next be presented with your language select screen. I imagine you want English, so just hit enter! It'll then sit doing 'Preparing Installation' for a while.

5. When you get the 'Welcome' screen, don't hit continue straight away! Move your point to the 'Utilities' menu, and select 'Disk Utility'.

6. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive in the left hand pane (probably the very top entry is your HDD manufacturer's name')

7. Click 'Partition' on the right hand pane.

8. Under 'Volume Scheme', click '1 partition'. ( this varies on your desire on how many partition you want )

If you already have a prepared partition you can Goto > Disk Utility > choose selected partition > choose erase > use MAC OS extended Journaled

9. Give your disk a name.

10. Click 'Apply'

11. Wait for it to do it's thing, then select 'Quit Disk Utility' from the 'Disk Utility' menu.

12. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click 'Continue'.

13. Click 'Agree' when the legalese blurb pops up.

14. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned! Click 'Continue'.

15. Click 'Customize'.

16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.

17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'Kernel 9.2 Sleep'

18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'

19. Expand 'Audio_Drivers', choose only 'AC97'

20. Expand 'Networks_Drivers'. and select ONLY 'AppleBMC5751Ethernet'.

21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.

22. Expand 'Thirds_Applications', choose 'Kext Helper b7' ( or you can choose which application you want to add, but make sure to add Kext Helper b7 you will need it on the next steps )

23. completely uncheck 'Patches'.

24. Click 'Done'

25. Click 'Install'

:!: The install will now take place, if you want to speed it up, you can 'Skip' the installation DVD check.

Updating from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3

1. Insert the disk containing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update in a USB or CD

2. Run '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' this wil upgrade the system from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!

3. After the above install has completed, run '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' and step through the installation process.

4. Select 9.3 Modbin Kernel and click 'Continue'

34. Restart your GX520.

35. When prompted to do so, press F8 to interrupt the Darwin startup.

36. Type 'update -v' (without the quotes obviously), and press enter. Your GX520 may reboot a couple of times during this update process. Don't panic!

Restoring Intel 950 Video Card to 1280 x 1024 back

1. Download the Intel GMA950 Kext from here

2. Unzip the file

3. Open Applications > Koolsoft > Kext Helper b7

4. Select all kext file inside the Intel950kext Folder and drag it to Kext Helper b7

5. type in your password and click 'Easy Install'

6. Open Terminal at Applications > Utilities > terminal

7. type 'sudo DiskUtil repairpermissions /' without the '' and press enter ( let it finish )

8. restart your GX520

You can check the Version details by clicking on the Apple logo on the upper left hand corner> choose about this Mac.

Im sorry to inform that we cannot use Apple Vanilla Kernel for this system since its incompatible, system will reboot itself, Im still looking for solution out there maybe other users, testers can give light on this.

On the next procedures I will remind you that there are some issue's you will encounter when updating from Kalyway 10.5.3 to Apple Update 10.5.4 and 10.5.5

You will have a problem with auto mounting the USB devices. You can read some insights discussions on the following link below :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=85241

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789 >> Thanks to LioNEXT on the Solution to this problem.

Anyways I didn't use LioNEXT Solution to the problem but he gave me an insight on how i can find workaround using my own kext as per alternative solution you can also use his FIX, you can download the fix by reading the forum.

The LAN card doesn't work for now since you MAC address would be 00:00:00:00:00:00

Video Card will on be 1024x768 but you dont need to worry all of this will be fixed later on this tutorial.

Upgrading from Kalyway 10.5.3 to Apple upgrade 10.5.4 and 10.5.5

1. Back-up current 9.3.0 Kernel File and System.kext file by going to Application > Utilities > Terminal

2. On Terminal type

cd / ( enter )

sudo mkdir backup ( enter )

sudo cp -Rp mach_kernel /backup ( enter )

cd / ( enter )

cd /System/Library/Extensions ( enter )

sudo cp -Rp System.kext /backup ( enter )

3. Double check the backup kernel file by typing on the same terminal

cd / ( enter )

cd /backup ( enter )

ls -la ( enter ) There will be 2 files found on that folder mach_kernel and System.kext

4. Insert the disk containing the 10.5.4 update.

Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type “sudo su -” without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type “while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done” without the quotes.

Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

5. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' to mount the image.

6. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.pkg' and step through the installation process.

:!: Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing C (Ctrl + C) and Copy back your Original Kernel and Kext File on the same Terminal window do :

cd / (enter)

cd /backup (enter)

sudo cp -Rp mach_kernel / (enter)

Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

7. When prompted press F8 and use "update -v" to boot without quotes ( a lot of text msg comming out dont worry system will boot it self soon, the system may reboot another time)

Upgrading from Apple upgrade 10.5.4 to 10.5.5

8. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.5 update.

Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type “sudo su -” without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type “while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done” without the quotes.

Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

9. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg' to mount the image.

10. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg' and step through the installation process.

:!: Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing C (Ctrl + C) and Copy back your Original Kernel File on the same Terminal window do :

cd / (enter)

cd /backup (enter)

sudo cp -Rp mach_kernel / (enter)

Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

System will take a long time to reboot let the system be until it will restart. If in case you run out of patience it will not reboot you have to do hard reboot on the system and use "update –v" - Your GX520 will restart after the update -v process

Quick Fix on Intel GMA 950 Video Card

1. Open Applications > Koolsoft > Kext Helper b7

2. Select only AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext file inside the Intel950kext Folder and drag it to Kext Helper b7

3. type in your password and click 'Easy Install'

4. Open Terminal at Applications > Utilities > terminal

5. type 'sudo DiskUtil repairpermissions /' without the '' and press enter ( let it finish )

6. restart your GX520 ( this will fix back the Video Display since updating to 10.5.5 will replace the Framebuffer )

Fixing About this MAC :

1. Download this File from this link

2. Follow the Installation Procedures

3. You can check the correct Processor Specs on About this MAC by clicking on the Apple Icon on the Upper left hand corner

4. Choose About this MAC, it should now say Version 10.5.5 and Processor will display the current Processor type and speed.

Fixing USB auto mount

1. Goto Terminal

2. type 'cd /' (enter)

3. type 'cd /backup' (enter)

4. type 'sudo cp -Rp System.kext /System/Library/Extensions/' (enter)

5. type 'sudo DiskUtil repairpermissions /' without the '' and press enter ( let it finish )

6. restart your GX520 ( this will fix USB Auto mount issue )

Fixing Broadcom Ethernet

If you go to Terminal and type 'ifconfig' you may notice that the en0 has no mac address it states 00:00:00:00:00:00, your LAN card has been detected by OS X but not functional due to this issue.

1. you can test to manually add your Lan Card Mac address by opening Terminal

2. type 'ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx' ( xx - stands for your own mac address ) without ''

3. at Terminal type ifconfig, you should be able to see your mac address now, you can test by opening Safari and browse for any website.

Once tested that putting the mac address has resolved the LAN issue, you may need to create a script so that you dont need to manually type in the step 2 command.

4. Download this script file I have created here Thanks to http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac

5. Extract the file and copy whats inside to /Library/LaunchDaemons

Editing SetMac.sh

1. Open Terminal

type 'cd /' (enter) without ''

type 'cd /Library/LaunchDaemons/riots.darkbb.com/' (enter) without ''

type 'sudo vi setmac.sh' (enter) without ''

type 'i' for insert

2. modify the mac address after the word ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

3. type in your own mac address

4. press 'esc' then type ':wq' without '' this will Write to file and Quit

5. on Terminal type 'cd /''

6. on Terminal type 'cd /Library/LaunchDaemons/'

7. on Terminal type 'sudo chown -R root:wheel SetMACAdd.plist'

8. on Terminal type 'sudo chown -R root:wheel riots.darkbb.com'

9. on Terminal type 'sudo DiskUtil repairpermissions /' without the '' and press enter ( let it finish )

10. Restart your GX520, to test if the changes has been successful you can goto Terminal after system reboot and type 'ifconfig' to see if the mac address has been automatically added.

Enjoy your OS X GX520 :lol!:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Harbot,

I'm trying to do the same (uning KalyWay 10.5.1 disk or iDeneb 1.3), but it seems that i cannot get around booting after installation (-v gives me invalid GUID) ;) Could you please share use your BIOS settings for the gx520 regarding SATA Controller and others?

I tried several installs (GUID and MBR partition, first wiping everything from the drive) and now i'm a bit stuck :-(

Thanks loads for your answer!!!

Regs,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
instead of updating all of the combo updated could i just skip to the 10.5.5 updated package thats been floating around thanks oh yeah thanks for the guide alot ima try it out son on this cpu for my brother

Nope cannot be done you have to update your version step by step Apple update wont allow you to skip

Hi Harbot,

I'm trying to do the same (uning KalyWay 10.5.1 disk or iDeneb 1.3), but it seems that i cannot get around booting after installation (-v gives me invalid GUID) :angel: Could you please share use your BIOS settings for the gx520 regarding SATA Controller and others?

I tried several installs (GUID and MBR partition, first wiping everything from the drive) and now i'm a bit stuck :-(

Thanks loads for your answer!!!

Regs,

Ray

Hello Ray;

have you done the ff :

1. When GX520 boot-up press F2

2. Goto Drives > Disable PATA-0 and PATA-1 ( off )

3. Goto Onboard Devices, goto USB Controller and Front USB Ports make sure to set it 'ON'

4. Save and Restart GX520

UPDATE !!!

Using Voodoo Kernel will boost the GX520 performance.

1. Download the Kernel from this link http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

2. Do not install using DMG since it will auto replace the current kernel running and I dont want to loose the old kernel

3. Once Voodoo DMG has been downloaded open it using Pacifist

4. Extract the file mach.kernel.voodoo to a specific location also System.kext

5. goto the location where you extract the files perform the ff: under terminal

sudo chown root:wheel mach.kernel.voodoo ( press enter, enter password )

sudo chmod 644 mach.kernel.voodoo ( press enter )

sudo chown -R root:wheel System.kext ( press enter )

sudo cp mach.kernel.voodoo / ( press enter )

cd /

cd System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -rf System.kext

6. go back to the location where you extract the files from DMG and perform

sudo cp -Rp System.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ ( press enter )

7. on the same terminal do

cd /

cd Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

sudo vi com.apple.Boot.plist ( press enter, password )

8. locate <string>mach.kernel</string> and modify it by pressing i

9. modify it to <string>mach.kernel.voodoo</string> save the changes by pressing :wq

10. on terminal perform

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

11. restart your PC

Note : hyper threading can now be activated.

1. goto BIOS by pressing F2

2. enable hyper treading under Performance

You can see under Activity monitor there should be 2 CPU running

Report:

GX520 GMA 950 @ Full resolution + QE support with your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (1 file) + ideneb 10.5.5 default driver (not install any intel driver when ideneb setup)

Report:

GX520 GMA 950 @ Full resolution + QE support with your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (1 file) + ideneb 10.5.5 default driver (not install any intel driver when ideneb setup)

Nice, Im hoping someday all drivers will be part of all OSX86 distri, they say xXx also comes with most of the drivers needed.

• 1 month later...

thank you for this tutorial and i have recently installed on my Dell Optiplex GX520 by following your instructions and I got every thing up working except the built in speaker. now the only way to listen is through headphone.

and it was working properly with MS XP

Greetings and Salutations..

Having followed all the directions, I now have a Dell Optiplex gx520 running 10.5.5. The setup is quite nice, and with 4GB of ram it scores quite well on the xbench.

My question is however, has anyone taken the plunge with 10.5.6 on this hardware platform.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_...-6_Combo_Update

I don't mind taking one for the team, in fact I'm backing up a disk image as we speak, but I was hoping for some words of encouragement. If not, then I can pioneer it and report back my findings.

Ciao

Success!!

I managed to get my gx520 to 10.5.6. Here is a general outline of what I did.

First, I followed all the directions here to get my system to 10.5.5 with the Voodoo Kernel. Video, Audio (which was never an issue), and USB all worked. Used the system in a semi production environment for 6 weeks without any problems. I did non-system updates via "Software Update" without issue. Installed all my software without issue.

I downloaded the "Normal" 10.5.6 update from Apple (NOT the combo update).

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Update

Next, I opened terminal and did the little script trick to kill AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext aborning, as mentioned above when doing the other oupdates.

It's best to just become root for these terminal commands: "sudo -s" then password when asked.

“while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done”

While the little do/while loop ran in the background, I opened and installed Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Update.

as always: DO NOT RESTART when asked

Back in the terminal, I stop the script (control-c), and did a quick check to make sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext was not there.

"ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement*"

On my system, there was a directory AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.org with the original kext in it. But as long as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not in /System/Library/Extensions/ you're good to go.

Next, you'll need to check the file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

I use "vi" to edit text files in the console, so at the terminal type "vi /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1" ("nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1" also works if you like editor better)

Look for any lines that say something to the effect of "Dont Steal Mac OSX.kext". I had read that there MIGHT be lines in this file to that effect. On my system, there were no lines that said anything like that. If there are lines like that in your /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 file, I read that you should replace "Dont Steal Mac OSX.kext" with "dsmos.kext". Seince I did not have any of the offentding lines, I cannot commit as to this edit. For me, I just left /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 alone.

Finally, I ran "diskutil repairpermissions /" waited on baited breath when it always hangs at 20%, when finished, then I do it again just because I'm OCD.

Now you can reboot.

I used the -v option when rebooting to see all the text that was to fast for me to read. Don't panic, the system WILL reboot a couple of times before it's done.

Once the system was back up, I noticed that the screen resolution was off. So I did the trick of reinstalling just the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext as previously stated in "Quick Fix on Intel GMA 950 Video Card"

Reboot, screen res was fixed.

Now, comes the hard part......

My USB auto-mounting was not working. I have to admit that the USB auto-mount did not work after my 10.5.5 install despite having done the steps in: "Fixing USB auto mount". Now I FIX my usb auto-mounting in 10.5.5, but because I can be a selfish {censored} sometime, I completely forgot to document and share how I did it.

So now after the update to 10.5.6, my USB auto-mount failed again. This time, I messed with it for about 30 minuets, and got is working. But here's the catch, I'm not sure which of the things I tried got it working. I know the things I did, and the oder in which I did them, but I am unsure if it was the "LAST" thing I did that fixed it, or if the last things I did built upon something I had done before.

I suspect the the problem was a mismatch between my Kernel version "uname -a" which gave me:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo;

and the Kernel setting in my /S/L/E/system.kext/Info.plist which was reading 9.2.0

I tried the fix from "Quick Fix on Intel GMA 950 Video Card" -- did not work

I then tried using "usb fix 1.3.mpkg" which I found at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95789 -- I think his is what fixed me last time. But Kernel 9.5 is not an option in this install of "usb fix 1.3.mpkg" and the Kernel 9.2.2 did not work either....

I then googled around and found: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117029 and did those steps, but no love there ether...

What got me working was this. I just Google 9.5.0 system.kext and found: http://www.infinitemac.com/f39/voodoo-xnu-...-testing-t1361/ which gave me: http://rogue.infinitemac.com/files/950_System_kext.zip

I used Kext Helper b7 to install it, and even before the restart, my USB Key popped up. After the restart all still worked.

In the end I'm not sure if just putting the 950_System_kext.zip file in place fixed it, or if it needed something else I had done before that.. so your milage may very.

• 10 months later...

This whole instruction worked flawless, as long as u pay attention... KUDOS for the one figuring this out..

So after finishing i had everything working on 10.5.5.. but i wanted more..

So i performed the same steps for upgrading from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 to get my system up and running 10.5.6, and that worked also.. :D

Now i want to upgrade it to 10.5.7, but during mounting the 10.5.7 update, the system freezes.. No keyboard, mouse or any movement.... NOTHING !

Does anybody have any idea how to solve this ? I am running the 'while sleep do' thingie in terminal..

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Trying to follow this tutorial but having some trouble right at the start. I have two GX520 Dell's and I can't get them to boot from the DVD drive

I get the message:

"No boot device available -

strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I have set the boot order to the internal IDE DVD rom drive first and HDD second, I have tried a Ubuntu live disc and still the same problem. (I tried Ubuntu from USB memory stick with no luck).

Keen to get this underway... if anyone can help it would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Mike

PS Have tried both computers and a replacement DVD ROM...

OK... I haven't solved the problem to install via the DVD Drive... but I have now had some succsess booting from a external USB hard drive...

I set the BIOS so that the HDD was the first and only boot option... havn't been able to get everything right for an install yet but at least I can boot from something to start!!

• 2 weeks later...

Check your hardware configuration the DVDRom has to be with the jumper in cable selector "CS". then start the machine back and when dell logo comes keep pressing F2 most apear the munu selection to choose boot hdd,your DVDRom or USB if its conectec. if it comes to you press ( F1 or F2 ) check back the jumpers remember CS

• 7 months later...

harbot,

Thanks for the info here I really appreciate it. The only thing that is not function for me is the ethernet.

I was hoping that there is a better way to write a script to load the mac address when the system boot up.

I don't know how to write a script I try your script but I was lose due to inexperience.

I use the set mac address through the terminal and work great, but would like it to start when the system boot.

I've got my GX520 running full SLeopard Mac OS X retail 10.6.5 everything work sound, graphic qc, etc.. the only draw back for me was the ethernet beside that all update is good except my usb broke when update to 10.6.5 but I keep a backup of my kext to install.

I'll try to help anyone if they want to install retail version, just reply me.

• 2 weeks later...