[Howto] Fix "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

1 post in this topic

For anyone getting the error "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found," (I got it on a Toshiba A65-S1362) I believe I have a fix for you.

From Smart BootManager's site - http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

"Smart BootManager is an os independent BootManager which has easy to use interface and many other features. The main goals of SBM are to be absolutely OS independent, flexible and full-featured. It has all of the features needed to boot a variety of OS."

I know it's kind of old (2001), but I've found that using SBM allows you to boot Kalyway's 10.5.2 Install DVD, Leopard (when installed), and even provide bootable usb support for bios' that don't support it directly. I found sometimes that it would fail to boot other cds such as Hiren's BootCD 9.5, so I used my built in BIOS boot manager to boot those. My BIOS is also PXE, which probably has something to do with my problem. This also allowed me not to have to install grub with ubuntu, which saved space on my 30 gb laptop hdd.

To install:

• Pickup a copy of Hiren's BootCD 9.5. (There's a torrent of it somewhere). sbminst is on this LiveCD under BIOS and stuff. (If you don't see BIOS, etc. it's on the next page of Hiren's.
  • Install from Windows using the download from their site.

To use:

Navigate to the directory where you saved sbminst, or on Hiren's just simply type this in after selecting the application.

sbminst -t us -d 128

-t defines the flavor of the install, I chose US because that's the default for most people. Type sbminst without modifiers for more info on this.

-d tells sbm to install on the first hard drive.

That's about it, once you're in sbm itself, you can mess with options and such. If you have any questions, feel free to post.

P.S. Sorry if someone already posted this, but the search function on these forums is unbearable. And if so, a thread like this should be at least linked to in one of the solutions Howtos.