VGC-VCC7 Camera HACK

Ron C

2 posts in this topic

Hi to all VAIO users. I discovered a hack to get the VGC-VCC7 camera to work with photobooth and ichat in OSX86.

As you all probably know the camera shows up in the USB list using the hardware profiler but for some reason does not operate using the standard usbvideo driver or macam.

Anyways if you are running VMWARE fusion this should work.

- Boot your VMWARE fusion machine and install the SONY official VGC-VCC7 drivers. You can find them on the web or at the Sony site.

- Once the driver is installed in your VM, connect the camera to the VM. It should get recognized and install. If all goes well you'll see the camera in your My Computer window

- Double click on the VGC-VCC7 camera in the My Computer window and it should open and show a camera preview window. Now close the preview window and disconnect the camera from your VM.

- Once you have done this initial connect in the VM, the camera will now work fine with photobooth and ichat. You can even shutdown the VM and the camera will work until the next reboot.

Seems like there is some initialization done by the Sony driver but once you get this completed, the camera works fine as a normal usbvideo device.

Hope this helps everyone and also leads us to a better solution. FYI... I am running on a TZ37GN and it works great.

Cheers,

Ron

• 10 months later...