Control volume for digital out? / ALC888 (IP35-PRO) any way to do 5.1?

enyceexdanny

4 posts in this topic

I have my current speakers (Z-5500) connected via digital and use the Dolby PLII to emulate 5.1 surround.

But the only issue is that I can't control the darn volume via the os (keyboard, ui, etc).

So I tried connecting it via analog. Well the volume control works (of course), but I can't seem to get 5.1 sound.

I know that since most sources are stereo, I would still have to use the decoders upmix. At least the volume would be working.

I have the ALC888 txt and appleHDA patcher 1.20

Any recommendations?

ALSO, is there any way to control the volume on a digital out?

I've searched around, but nothing yet..

Thanks again guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have my current speakers (Z-5500) connected via digital and use the Dolby PLII to emulate 5.1 surround.

But the only issue is that I can't control the darn volume via the os (keyboard, ui, etc).

So I tried connecting it via analog. Well the volume control works (of course), but I can't seem to get 5.1 sound.

I know that since most sources are stereo, I would still have to use the decoders upmix. At least the volume would be working.

I have the ALC888 txt and appleHDA patcher 1.20

Any recommendations?

ALSO, is there any way to control the volume on a digital out?

I've searched around, but nothing yet..

Thanks again guys.

Were you able to get this working? I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 that has the ALC888 and I finally got the audio to work and to recognize all ins and outs. However, with Digital (I have a Boston Acoustics speaker set with digital input), I can get no volume control from the icon or keyboard. If I switch it all to analog outputs, then I get the control, but I would rather be digital. I am on 10.6.4 with the latest AppleHDA.kext working...