phnix

Members
  • Last visited

0 Neutral
  1. I have a quick FireWire question to any who might be using it. I'm on 10.6.4 and I've got a DSDT and setup mainly based off of the P5K-VM InstallPack. I did some modifications to the DSDT to support a GeForce GTX260 & also speedstep and all that seems to work. The one strange thing I'm experiencing is that FireWire works for devices plugged in a boot, but ones that are plugged in later power up but don't seem to get enumerated. I've seen a few more recent FireWire related posts, but I'm not sure if these are related to similar issues to what I'm having or if I'm noticing a different issue. If anyone has experienced similar, I'd be happy to know of a way to enable it to hotplug. Thanks! (I think I may have posted on this thread a long time ago, but I've been appreciating the work various contributors have been making for some time... you've made this an easy platform to run OS X on with a fairly clean profile in terms of needed hacks and modifications)
  2. I was wondering how to tell which mode I'd booted into. 64-bit it is. I've made modifications to the video card sections of the DSDT, not sure if I've covered all the bases, but I'll poke around and see if I can find an example for the same card. The DSDT problem seems a little circular from the OS X side, since if I load a dsdt file provided by someone else, generating a new one contains information derived from the loaded DSDT. I do have SleepEnabler.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext in /E/E. Rebooting is working OK, but the few times I've tried sleep it didn't go correctly. Perhaps I should try paring down drivers/installed devices and see if that makes a difference. The SMmaximalclock setting definitely affects the clock that shows up, but doesn't switch it from solo to duo. I'll give some of the other suggestions floating in here a try. Will report if I get a resolution so that others who encounter similar issues can apply a similar fix. I've been using chameleon RC3. I've not tried either of the options you've referenced there. Does sleep work for you? Perhaps that's related to the bootloader and what it's prepping on startup.
  3. I've gotten it up and running through a mixture of various instructions including DB1's (I was having panics during the install process). I'm able to boot into 64-bit and 32-bit modes (afaik, I assume I'm booting to 64 when I don't have any flags passed at boot time). I am however having some weirdness, some of which I related to the DSDT dump: 1. System Profiler lists my 8600 GT as a 7300 GT (although QE and OpenCL work fine, and things that use OpenGL/OpenCL identify the card properly). The DSDT file lists a 7300 GT, so I assume when I do the dump it's basing it on the DSDT file from DB1 that I used during the install and therefore never gets correct values for the video card. I'd be fine with just modifying the dump before making the aml file, but I wonder if just changing those strings out really makes any difference. 2. My E6550 (2.33 GHz Duo) is listed as a 3 GHz Solo, and I'm not sure what to modify to correct that. 3. Sleep never returns (not sure if this is DSDT-related or something else). Otherwise, once I got the proper set of Extras to make the install go, it's been pretty easy :-) P.S.: 10.6.1 went almost smoothly. Panic'd first reboot, but the boot setup on the install USB stick allowed me to boot again. I dumped the Extensions.mkext from /E and it booted again from the HDD. EDIT: I seem to have figured out part of this by editing the dsdt dump & smbios.plist (1&2), but it still lists only one core.. Haven't tried to fix 3 any further.
  4. So, I've somewhat come to the conclusion that this drive should just be replaced. I've tried IDE mode as opposed to AHCI under OS X and that gives me clicking as well (though the drive is much quieter). SeaTools finds no problem with it, and it still doesn't click under windows. The fact that it didn't do this during the first two weeks of usage under OS X, and that it has now started (with no driver changeouts), would suggest that this is hardware. Any quick suggestions on imaging over to another drive of the same size? I'm running EFI, so I know I could just use DiskUtility from the DVD to image over to the other drive and then install efi on the fresh drive, but I've also got the hybrid gpt/mbr thing going to allow booting of 32-bit windows. I'd prefer if I could just take everything including the partition map and have that copied. Would a tool like dd do so? ie: dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/dev/disk1 I've not done this style of copy before with multiple concurrent partition maps :-P
  5. I know it's bizarre, and that's precisely why I have no clue why this would be happening... In another slight twist: Raw Read Error Rates & Hardware ECC correction rates seem to be higher in OS X than in windows. Seek error rate stays somewhat low, but none are ever below threshold. Could it just be that there's something bizarre going on with the region of the disk that OS X is contained within? It's either that, or drivers I would assume. The latter seems strange since nobody else is having something similar going on with AHCI... *shrug* If anyone has suggestions, they'd be much appreciated, otherwise I'll post here if I figure out any more. Current SMART Data: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.p...cation=FDAD8457 (Using SpeedFan under windows)
  6. I've had 10.5.1 up and running on a P5K-VM for a bit of time now, the machine is rock solid stable under os x and windows, both I have set up to use AHCI mode for this G33/ICH9 board. What I've noticed in the past couple of days though is that under OS X (and ONLY OS X, can't get this to happen in windows whether the disk is being thrashed or not), I get this louder-than-normal intermittent clicking noise. Each one of these is associated with the activity light flaring up for a fraction of a second. Seagates SeaTools indicate nothing wrong with the drive under Windows. I can't get smartmontools to talk to the drive in AHCI mode under OS X either, so I can't tell if any of those parameters are changing alot around these events. The clicks are not repeated, they're just intermittent, seconds go by between each one, and sometimes hours. Anyone else experiencing something similar under AHCI mode? Also, is there a way to get the generic AHCI drivers to do some acoustic management of the drive. It's freaking loud when it's reading/writing, much quieter under Windows for the most part.
  7. That migh work. The JMicron PATA support isn't stellar. Personally, I've only had it hang on access after some time of disuse (after bootup) with a DVD burner, but it sounds like you've got more troubles. You'd be better off getting a drive slung off one of the SATA ports with the ICH9 set to AHCI (only 2 ports work in this mode). I'd try either a different SATA drive, or maybe a PATA->SATA adapter? I can't vouch for how well PATA->SATA adapters work with OS X, however... Also, an aside: I've tried the AppleVIAATA patch above, and it somewhat works, but I get kernel panics with no panic log, so I'd avoid that for now. Use AHCI mode.
  8. Thanks for the support, will give this a go later tonight.
  9. FYI 9B18 is the final release, just pulled it down on a real Mac through software update. Wondering if I should apply on my pc_efi 4 core 2 duo hackintosh without any worries?
  10. I'm in about the same situation as most of the rest of the folks here. I've got a P5K-VM (well, the version that comes in the V3-P5G33). Everything works perfectly (minus the known caveats) with the exception of one thing. I've got a DVD-RW running off of the JMicron PATA, and on occasion I've hung up applications while trying to access it. Often what happens is that I'll pop open disk utility and it'll beachball. Sometimes other things will beachball (presumably they're doing some polling on the drive). Is there any recommended resolution for this? Or do I need to use a SATA dvd drive. I DID have to us -x -f on the installer to get the BrazilMac DVD to boot originally.I'm in about the same situation as most of the rest of the folks here. I've got a P5K-VM (well, the version that comes in the V3-P5G33). Everything works perfectly (minus the known caveats) with the exception of one thing. I've got a DVD-RW running off of the JMicron PATA, and on occasion I've hung up applications while trying to access it. Often what happens is that I'll pop open disk utility and it'll beachball. Sometimes other things will beachball (presumably they're doing some polling on the drive). Is there any recommended resolution for this? Or do I need to use a SATA dvd drive. I DID have to us -x -f on the installer to get the BrazilMac DVD to boot originally.
  11. Ditto on what others have said. The following guide may also be helpful: http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/
  12. Thanks! Got it working :-) One step closer to a non-hacky install!
  13. I also saw in another post that you needed to delete the efi kext? Is that still necessary?
  14. Indeed I am. I've not changed out any kexts or anything either since doing the install, just followed the v4 instructions and attempted to reboot. I didn't want to swap in the smbios kext there either until I was sure that things would at least boot without. I can still get the whole thing to boot up from the brazilmac dvd.
  15. Hmm.. Gave the v4 a try using the non-grub method, kernel. I get a kpanic. Core 2 duo (E6550), Asus P5K-VM, ICH9, G33. I used the BrazilMac install method for original install, and I can boot using that style of booting just fine. Attached is a screen capture from the panic.