Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Can't empty trash in 10.7.5 [solved]

3 posts in this topic

Having problems emptying my trash can after delete about 12GB of junk I had copied from my brother Windows PC hard drive.

I was backing up his data so I could completely wipe his PC. After I finished copying back his data to his computer, I just went and dragged the entire HD image to the trash (oops). I have delete large video files and multiple DVD images before in my Mac, but for some reason the trash did not empty this time.

I tried Secure empty trash which usually takes care of stubborn deletes. And even after a reboot it still shows I have my trash can filled. I also tried:

rm -rf ~/.Trash/* 

It is not emptying the trash can. Both with and without the "sudo".

Any ideas on what to do? I recently upgraded the 10.7.5 supplemental without problems.

Currently running OS X 10.7.5 / OS X 10.6.8 / Ubuntu Studio 12.04 / Windows XP

Boots to Lion with Chamaleon, 3 internal HD (OSs) & 1 external HD (data)

Thanks. Booting to window solved the problem. If I ran OS X without the external connected, the trash was empty, it only was full (and full) with the external HD plugged in.

Ran Maintenace & Onyx afterwards to make sure all the crud was wiped away in OS X.