Jump to content
crazybirdy

Catalina MBR HFS Firmware Check Patch 10.15.x

By crazybirdy ( Find their other files )

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.15 installation on MBR HFS+ partition.

 

Please read Readme-10.15.pdf first.

 

How to finish the Catalina installation.

1. Use EasyMBR-Installer1015 to make USB Catalina Installer.

2. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, open Utilities -> Disk Utility, format as MBR HFS+. 

    Install Catalina to blank MBR HFS+ "Target" partition.

3. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, open Utilities -> Terminal, run the script command:
    copytempdata

4. Boot to "Target" MBR HFS+ partition on single user mode (-s), run the script command:
    hfsupdatecache

5. Reboot to "Target" MBR HFS+ partition, setup user name and login, finish the installation.

 

Also, you need to setup Clover as BooterConfig=0x28, CsrActiveConfig=0x67

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of known issues:

1. Some app-pkg-installers can't install to HFS+, but install to APFS fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
1. Pass the MBR check, allow macOS 10.15 installation on MBR partition.
2. Pass the Firmware check, bypass the error of "
An error occurred while verifying firmware".
3. Pass auto-convert to APFS , "
ConvertToAPFS=false" is no longer worked with 10.15.
4. This MBR-Manual-Method will never convert to APFS, and will always install as HFS+ partition.
5. This MBR-Manual-Method
works with both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

 

What's the difference between createinstallmedia method, MBR-Manual-Method, and MBR-Automatic-Method?
As the following....
1. createinstallmedia method,

    needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, which is worked with GUID partition only, always convert to APFS format.
2. MBR-Manual-Method (same as 10.12),

    install via stage 2 manually, which is worked with both MBR HFS+ and GUID HFS+, will never convert the partition format.

    We can manually format as MBR HFS+ or GPT HFS+ on installation screen like as 10.12.

    We can manually select MBR HFS+ partition to install 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 on installation screen now.

    Needn't to update the MBR-Manual-Method files, it will still work on 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 future versions, I think so.

    It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition only, but can't be installed as update from previous version.

3. MBR-Automatic-Method (new for 10.13+),

    End of MBR and HFS+, there is no more MBR HFS+ patch available for 10.15 native OSInstaller.


How to make 10.15 installer for MBR (MBR-Manual-Method)?

Just use EasyMBR-Installer1015 to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.12.

Read HowTo Q/A Q4. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave, Catalina?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.15.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

 

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

 

EasyMBR-Installer1015.gif.ab373930df1491897bea137258ae8d39.gif

 

Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
A6. Some people download installer app from App Store, and get only 18 MB size, not the complete installer app (5.68 GB). You should boot to 10.12, or 10.13 to download it again from App Store, or use script Q6-DownloadFullApp/installScript_fullapp to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com.

 

installScript_fullapp.thumb.gif.963b53da652e145e4ef5a4d461859f0a.gif

 


What's New in Version 10.15.x   See changelog

Released

2020.07.18    Add Q6-DownloadFullApp/installScript_BaseSystem to download BaseSystem.dmg under 10.15.5 to make installer of 10.15.6.

2020.07.16    Add EasyMBR-Installer10156 to make installer of 10.15.6.

2020.07.13    Update Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2020.05.30    Update Readme.

2020.02.25    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2020.01.30    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.12.09    Update Q3-HFS+UpdateCache/hfsupdatecache with "kextcache -i /"

2019.12.06    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp

2019.11.02    Add Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2019.11.01    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.10.23    Update List of known issues:

2019.10.10    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.09.11    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp and Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.07.13    Update support to Catalina with Enoch-r2922-10.15.

2019.07.03    Add Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_1015update

2019.06.27    Update List of known issues:

2019.06.22    Update Q3-HFS+UpdateCache/copytempdata

 




User Feedback

Recommended Comments



Hi 

 

I can't download Full macOS 10.15.2 Dev Beta: Apple change something in catalog? It's only possible for update and combo.

 

Any ideas, please 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi 

 

I can't download Full macOS 10.15.2 Dev Beta: Apple change something in catalog? It's only possible for update and combo.

 

Any ideas, please 

I didn't see the 10.15.2 beta fulll app in catalog.

 

The beta full app is still 10.15.1.19B77a macOS Catalina Beta.

Maybe apple never builds the 10.15.2 beta full app, maybe it doesn't exist.

 

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

I didn't see the 10.15.2 beta fulll app in catalog.

 

The beta full app is still 10.15.1.19B77a macOS Catalina Beta.

Maybe apple never builds the 10.15.2 beta full app, maybe it doesn't exist.

 

 

I think the same thing and I came to the same conclusion :cry:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

 

I think the same thing and I came to the same conclusion :cry:

 

As your wish, apple hears you now.:hysterical:

 

[ 5 ] 2019-11-15 18:01:13 .. 061-44345 .. 10.15.2.19C39d macOS Catalina Beta

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

 

As your wish, apple hears you now.:hysterical:

 

[ 5 ] 2019-11-15 18:01:13 .. 061-44345 .. 10.15.2.19C39d macOS Catalina Beta

 

I see that today. Apple like to make some surprises :wink_anim:... before Christmas day.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey CB i keep getting an MDS crash after installing 10.15.1 using your great tool....any ideas how to fix this?

 

 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds

 

I seem to recall having this issue on earlier software versions too fixed it but can't recall how....LOL

 

Thx Dans

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

Hey CB i keep getting an MDS crash after installing 10.15.1 using your great tool....any ideas how to fix this?

 

 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds

 

I seem to recall having this issue on earlier software versions too fixed it but can't recall how....LOL

 

Thx Dans

I never have this issue.

Did it only happen on MBR HFS+? How about on APFS two partition system?

 

If you have any fixed method earlier? If yes, I can check it, if not, I have no ideal.:wallbash:

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok only tried hfs+ install, not apfs two partition system. Can apfs run on mbr machine...I think it will not, am I correct?

Trying to reinstall from scratch here, after mistake formatting.

Trying to recover previous format structure, know any good tools to do this>>>??? 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

Ok only tried hfs+ install, not apfs two partition system. Can apfs run on mbr machine...I think it will not, am I correct?

Trying to reinstall from scratch here, after mistake formatting.

Trying to recover previous format structure, know any good tools to do this>>>??? 

 

No, i have no idea to recover it.

 

If you want to try two apfs partitions system, you need to format as guid table first. maybe you can try it on the other hdd or 32g usb stick.

I mean, maybe the mds issue will happen on apfs too.

 

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, sorry for late answer, have been on the road last few weeks.

Problem with FullApp-download script was not to download files, but it could not build the

install app out of downloaded parts.

It just spinned for long time, so I gave it up.

Could it be because I was running it from High Sierra ?

I don't make a problem about it, as I said using dosdude's patcher I got all working.

Now to reason I posted - apple script works fine

if one installs to AFPS.

On HFS+ it just does ot run.

And thanks for all that work !!!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, audiosource said:

Hi, sorry for late answer, have been on the road last few weeks.

Problem with FullApp-download script was not to download files, but it could not build the

install app out of downloaded parts.

It just spinned for long time, so I gave it up.

Could it be because I was running it from High Sierra ?

I don't make a problem about it, as I said using dosdude's patcher I got all working.

Now to reason I posted - apple script works fine

if one installs to AFPS.

On HFS+ it just does ot run.

And thanks for all that work !!!

All work fine here.

You can post the script screen log here.

We can see the errors.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the installer to work as explained in my previous post.

That was enough to test if installing Catalina to mbr makes sense for me,

and if Catalina can get trimmed down to bare bones system,

disabling all the unneeded {censored}.

Result is: mbr installation is not recommended, at least for me

because using scripting gets broken.

And one can tame Catalina to behave, without system protection, spotlght, social {censored},

cloud gibberish, mobile stuff, photos, music etc etc.

I am using computers for music production, not to play games,

so it is important to check if buying Mac that can't downgrade

from Catalina can work for me.

Otherwise I am not interested at all in upgrading anything.

I am writing this from MacBook 2008 running Snow Leopard.

Now to Your app building - downloading script :

I will try again on next full release 10.15.2

and will report.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, audiosource said:

I've got the installer to work as explained in my previous post.

That was enough to test if installing Catalina to mbr makes sense for me,

and if Catalina can get trimmed down to bare bones system,

disabling all the unneeded {censored}.

Result is: mbr installation is not recommended, at least for me

because using scripting gets broken.

And one can tame Catalina to behave, without system protection, spotlght, social {censored},

cloud gibberish, mobile stuff, photos, music etc etc.

I am using computers for music production, not to play games,

so it is important to check if buying Mac that can't downgrade

from Catalina can work for me.

Otherwise I am not interested at all in upgrading anything.

I am writing this from MacBook 2008 running Snow Leopard.

Now to Your app building - downloading script :

I will try again on next full release 10.15.2

and will report.

 

 

Well, this MBR HFS+ Catalina installation works fine here.
And all scripts included on dmg work fine here on MBR HFS+ Catalina too.

On Hackintoch, we setup Clover as BooterConfig=0x28, CsrActiveConfig=0x67 to disable SIP.

 

Since I don't understand what's your problem. But I think, the SIP may be your issue on your real Mac.

On real Mac, you should use APFS system.

 

This MBR HFS+ is used for whom still use MBR HFS+ on Hackintoch.:thumbsup_anim:

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem at all.

Just wanted to report my experience.

And You are right - setup was done on real Mac,

not hackintosh.

On real Mac SIP is also no problem at all,

can be disabled from recovery.

I hoped that Catalina HFS+ would be ok on real Mac, cause of compatibility

with older systems and various tools I use, but it seems not to be so, well ok , not a problem.

I just wanted to avoid APFS.

My hackintosh is happily running on HFS+ High Sierra.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Congratulations for the Great work!

I could install Catalina on my old PC laptop - MSI GX700 using your system and patch the Nvidia 8600m GT. 

All works as a charm.

 

I have a problem with some installers - for example the Steinberg E-licenser. The installation passes well but when run Cubase Pro 10 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 the mac "Problem Reporter" appears and the apps in question do not run.

I installed the latest E-Licenser control center and used the Maintenance utility - all Licenses are shown and all is fine there, however Cubase or VEP do need licenses yet.

 

I have some issues with a few PKG installers. My HD format is GPT.

Any fixes or clues?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey CB.... I just tried to make a bootable installer for MBR using 10.15.2  and your latest program, but the resulting USB will not boot...after process completes.

IE.. drag in full apple installer for 10.15.2, then drag in USB driver to install... hit enter... drive gets erased etc etc... but after it is not bootable...

Is it necessary to then add in something to make it bootable? I think it needs Clover with SIP off....

 

Dans

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dans1975 said:

Hey CB.... I just tried to make a bootable installer for MBR using 10.15.2  and your latest program, but the resulting USB will not boot...after process completes.

IE.. drag in full apple installer for 10.15.2, then drag in USB driver to install... hit enter... drive gets erased etc etc... but after it is not bootable...

Is it necessary to then add in something to make it bootable? I think it needs Clover with SIP off....

 

Dans

 

Yes, you need to install Clover pkg to USB and you need to setup Clover as BooterConfig=0x28, CsrActiveConfig=0x67.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi, crazybirdy:

    Thanks a lot for your great job!

    macOS Catalina 10.15.3 19D76 test passed on my hackintosh build: i5-6400 + MSI B250M G1 Gamer + Samsumg PM951 256G m.2 SSD !  Intel HD530 Graphic , ALC892 audio, Realtek8111 ethernet works fine, except sleep wake.   But there is a bug, the icon of my system volume (testOS) is a folder icon. It takes long time before get into desktop for the first time.

    

 

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.02.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.03.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.04.01 PM.png

1426306624_ScreenShot2020-01-29at7_45.thumb.jpg.4147328bd205dc327919c387cbcd6fbc.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.07.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.11.16 PM.png

Edited by SUN_sw1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SUN_sw1 said:

Hi, crazybirdy:

    Thanks a lot for your great job!

    macOS Catalina 10.15.3 19D76 test passed on my hackintosh build: i5-6400 + MSI B250M G1 Gamer + Samsumg PM951 256G m.2 SSD !  Intel HD530 Graphic , ALC892 audio, Realtek8111 ethernet works fine, except sleep wake.   But there is a bug, the icon of my system volume (testOS) is a folder icon. It takes long time before get into desktop for the first time.

Yes, it's an issue with HFS+, and we can't solve it.

If you use APFS, it will work all fine.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, crazybirdy said:

I never have this issue.

Did it only happen on MBR HFS+? How about on APFS two partition system?

 

If you have any fixed method earlier? If yes, I can check it, if not, I have no ideal.:wallbash:

 

Still having MDS crash.... even with clean install....MBR HFS+... 

Is it possible to create APFS with MBR legacy computer (old desktop)? i5.

I have not been able to pin down whey MDS crashing...MDSVOLUMEMANAGER crashes.... 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

Still having MDS crash.... even with clean install....MBR HFS+... 

Is it possible to create APFS with MBR legacy computer (old desktop)? i5.

I have not been able to pin down whey MDS crashing...MDSVOLUMEMANAGER crashes.... 

No, APFS only works with GUID partition.

You can use a new SSD with Clover pkg+GUID+APFS on legacy computer (old desktop).

 

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

A new SSD will work ? Will clover set in a separate EFI partition be able to boot an SSD (or a mechanical HDD? ) formatted as GUID with APFS? 

Thats interesting, I always thought this old rig would not boot a GUID formatted drives, that's why I have used MBR. This is an old

Acer Aspire M3970  2011 vintage! 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

A new SSD will work ? Will clover set in a separate EFI partition be able to boot an SSD (or a mechanical HDD? ) formatted as GUID with APFS? 

Thats interesting, I always thought this old rig would not boot a GUID formatted drives, that's why I have used MBR. This is an old

Acer Aspire M3970  2011 vintage!

All right. SSD is not necessary.

I mean a blank disk formated as GUID, HDD or SSD both work fine.

1. legacy computer (old desktop). Acer Aspire M3970  2011 vintage should work fine.
2. a blank disk formated as GUID, HDD or SSD both work fine.

3. suggest to make at least 3 partitions as EFI,  HFS+(install 10.14 before,used to boot clover), APFS(10.15 boot from 10.14 clover), NTFS (windows 10, if you need it).

4. install Clover pkg to normal HFS+(10.14 before, GUID HFS+ 10.15 works fine too.) partition, then you can boot GUID APFS 10.15 partition.

It will work fine.

 

You can use USB to install 10.14 GUID HFS+, then boot from GUID clover to HDD 10.14 HFS+, and install 10.15 to APFS.

 

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok I will try that.... EFI, 10.14 , APFS install 10.15 here...   Will let you know if works...

This is old machine I will see if it boots the clover EFI when hdd is formatted GUID.

Cheers

Dans

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

×