Jump to content

1 Screenshot

About This File

Please read me:

Ever since macOS Mojave came out (I mean the first DP) Apple removed the support for Atheros based WiFi Adapters from the IO80211Family.kext, so to fix it we need to add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to the Extensions manually.

After each clean install the AirPortAtheros40.kext needs to be installed and after clean installing Mojave DPs after few times I decides to create this app to save some time.

 

How to use it:

This application will install the missing AirPortAtheros40.kext into /System/Library/Extensions and after the installation is done and once you reboot your computer the Atheros based WiFi adapters will be enabled.

The installation is the first step of the process and it is fast but the next steps which are repairing the permission on /System/Library/Extensions and rebuilding the system caches might take a while so please wait until you were asked to reboot your computer.

 

I'm using a TP-Link WDN4800 with an Atheros chipset and it works on other similar hardware.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.22 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.40.43 PM.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.43.28 PM.PNG

1680545780_ScreenShot2018-09-16at4_43_07PM.PNG.059f2ac981e9580873d85f97a2504e72.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.53.37 PM.PNG

 


What's New in Version 2.0   See changelog

Released

Disable SIP before running the installer.

 

Change Log:

  • Added the Atheros Support for macOS Catalina.
  • Added macOS detection for necessary file installation.
  • Backing up the original IO80211Family.kext for macOS Catalina to desktop.

 

Known issues:

  • No 5GHz network detection.
  • Rebuilding system caches with SIP enable ends up with errors.
  • After each major macOS Catalina update you may need to run the installer.

 

 




User Feedback

Recommended Comments



On 12/21/2018 at 12:54 AM, Vollstein said:

Many Tanks :thumbsup_anim:

AirDrop real with AR5BXB92 or AR5BXB112?

You're welcome :)

59 minutes ago, kitokito said:

Hello

Many Thanks for you , I did with Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 . 

and it works grate .

Hi,

I'm glad you find this tiny app useful.

 

Cheers!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

Many Thanks!

Works perfect on my MacPro3,1 / Mojave 10.14.2

 

Astonishing, what those machines still can do...

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, einhorndg said:

Hello,

Many Thanks!

Works perfect on my MacPro3,1 / Mojave 10.14.2

 

Astonishing, what those machines still can do...

You're welcome :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello does this work for 10.14.3?

I did a test install on a empty partition. I installed OS 10.14 after setup I installed the AirportAtheros40.text installer. WiFi worked after disabling SIP from recovery. I tried to install the app on my normal Mojave SSD version 10.14.3 and it failed.

 

Even after disabling SIP. I’m not sure if it had anything to do with me using Time Machine to restore my files before installing the AirportAtheros40.text application. Or if there’s something new find in this version of Mojave that stops the install from taking place. I’m getting all types of error messages about AirportAtheros40.text not located or missing from such and such.

Edited by iciconnect

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iciconnect said:

Hello does this work for 10.14.3?

I did a test install on a empty partition. I installed OS 10.14 after setup I installed the AirportAtheros40.text installer. WiFi worked after disabling SIP from recovery. I tried to install the app on my normal Mojave SSD version 10.14.3 and it failed.

 

Even after disabling SIP. I’m not sure if it had anything to do with me using Time Machine to restore my files before installing the AirportAtheros40.text application. Or if there’s something new find in this version of Mojave that stops the install from taking place. I’m getting all types of error messages about AirportAtheros40.text not located or missing from such and such.

Hello iciconnect.

The installer should work fine under macOS 10.14.3 I just ran a test and everything worked just fine. About the SIP you don't have to disable it from recovery mode just use the CsrActiveConfig=0x67 under the Rt Variables in your config.plist to disable SIP. Once you changed the CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 reboot the macOS and the run the installer. If you still have the issues post some screenshots from the errors you are getting so I can see what's going on.

About the links on Tony's site we do not support their methods or apps so please read the Rules about that.

Edited by Cyberdevs

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, Cyberdevs said:

Hello iciconnect.

The installer should work fine under macOS 10.14.3 I just ran a test and everything worked just fine. About the SIP you don't have to disable it from recovery mode just use the CsrActiveConfig=0x67 under the Rt Variables in your config.plist to disable SIP. Once you changed the CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 reboot the macOS and the run the installer. If you still have the issues post some screenshots from the errors you are getting so I can see what's going on.

About the links on Tony's site we do not support their methods or apps so please read the Rules about that.

I’ll try this again in a moment. I had noticed I was on Boot Rom 138.0.0.0.0. So I updated it to 140.0.0.0.0. Do you think that could’ve been the issue?

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.53.08 AM.png

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, iciconnect said:

I’ll try this again in a moment. I had noticed I was on Boot Rom 138.0.0.0.0. So I updated it to 140.0.0.0.0. Do you think that could’ve been the issue?

No I don't think that's the issue but you can update the SMBIOS section in the config.plist to update the ROM version however the most important thing is that to fix permissions and update the kext cache correctly and see if that resolves the issue.

The installer does the permission fix and the kext cache update but use Mac Optimizer app's "Rebuild System Caches" and see if that helps.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

No I don't think that's the issue but you can update the SMBIOS section in the config.plist to update the ROM version however the most important thing is that to fix permissions and update the kext cache correctly and see if that resolves the issue.

The installer does the permission fix and the kext cache update but use Mac Optimizer app's "Rebuild System Caches" and see if that helps.

**CORRECTION**

 

The issues I started having with Terminal and reinstalling an application NOT related to the AirPortAtheros40.kext installer. When I installed AirportAtheros40.kext installer, the Reboot did not work. So I then tried Mac Optimizer and that failed.

 

The installer stopped and provided error messages. I added the screen capture. Then there’s the problem I now have with Terminal after logging back into my user account. Only after removing “login” from usr/bin am I able to use Terminal again. 

 

Terminal not working.png

After removing the login for usr:bin.png

System Information.png

Hardware Overview.png

Error Message when I run AirportAtheros40.kext installer.png

I didn't cancel a thing.png

Edited by iciconnect

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe restoring from TimeMachine caused problems with the AirportAtheros40.kext installer.

 

The AirportAtheros40.kext installer worked fine on my test partition running Mojave 10.14. I’m going to upgrade the test partition after cloning it first to see if the AirportAtheros.kext installer works on 10.14.3. Of course without using TimeMachine backups. 

Edited by iciconnect

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

**UPDATE**

 

I created a clone of Mojave 10.14 and I installed AirportAtheros40.kext installer. WiFi was identified and working. I then installed Mojave I downloaded from the App Store. I confirm WiFi and everything else working normally.

 

I believe there’s something within my backup that prevents AirportAtheros40.kext installer from making changes to Mojave user account on my SSD. There’s a possibility there could be some type of data corruption.

 

I will use TimeMachine to obtain my files and applications and migrate them to the test partition. I will not be selecting network settings from the TimeMachine backup.

 

I will post my results.  

 

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 11:15 PM, Cyberdevs said:

No I don't think that's the issue but you can update the SMBIOS section in the config.plist to update the ROM version however the most important thing is that to fix permissions and update the kext cache correctly and see if that resolves the issue.

The installer does the permission fix and the kext cache update but use Mac Optimizer app's "Rebuild System Caches" and see if that helps.

 

Note:  Catalina needs the Mojave IO80211familykext (modified with Atheros40kext in plugins) to work.   I tested Atheros40 in L/E and Clover but a no go.   Tested by modifying the Catalina IO80211Familykext with Atheros40 but it didn't work either.   It needed the Mojave IO80211 version to finally work.   Just something to look into, it seems these Catalina kexts can't be modified (read only)?

Edited by Gigamaxx

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

Note:  Catalina needs the Mojave IO80211familykext (modified with Atheros40kext in plugins) to work.   I tested Atheros40 in L/E and Clover but a no go.   Tested by modifying the Catalina IO80211Familykext with Atheros40 but it didn't work either.   It needed the Mojave IO80211 version to finally work.   Just something to look into, it seems these Catalina kexts can't be modified (read only)?

Thanks for sharing your findings I know that there are issues with only using the AirPortAtheros40.kext, there are other dependencies and I'm already working on my Atheros Installer and it's working on my WiFi adapter by adding some extra kexts. I'm still testing it so it will be ready soon.;)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

×